Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
mRNA research update 09:37 - Dec 4 with 7513 viewsStokieBlue

For those of you that might be interested, there has been some interesting advances in vaccination research using the mRNA method deployed in the C19 vaccinations.

Scientists have been able to create a "universal" flu vaccine which has worked in mice and basically gives protection against all strains of flu. This is a huge step because at the moment the flu vaccination only provides protection for 3 or 4 strains that researches think will be the most prevalent that year so there is a lot of guesswork involved and sometimes the vaccine covers variants that aren't circulating widely that year and misses some that are.

They are also looking to make the vaccine cover C19 which would mean universal protection from death for both flu and C19 in a single shot (well actually two shots like the C19 vaccines).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/mrna-flu-vaccine-study-influenza-pandemic-univers

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

mRNA research update on 09:55 - Dec 4 with 4179 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Does the ‘m’ in mRNA stand for microchip, or Microsoft, since that’s who tracks the signals?

Or something like that..
mRNA research update on 10:00 - Dec 4 with 4161 viewsChorleyBoy

These reports baffle me.It seems flu and COVID are similar enough to put them into the same vaccine shot. Flu has stopped mutating but COVID continues to do so. Or perhaps the new flu vaccine will cover all future flu variants but not all future COVID ones?
mRNA research update on 10:03 - Dec 4 with 4135 viewsChorleyBoy

mRNA research update on 09:55 - Dec 4 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Does the ‘m’ in mRNA stand for microchip, or Microsoft, since that’s who tracks the signals?

Or something like that..

It's simpler than that. It stands for meh.
mRNA research update on 10:13 - Dec 4 with 4109 viewsGuthrum

mRNA research update on 10:00 - Dec 4 by ChorleyBoy

These reports baffle me.It seems flu and COVID are similar enough to put them into the same vaccine shot. Flu has stopped mutating but COVID continues to do so. Or perhaps the new flu vaccine will cover all future flu variants but not all future COVID ones?

Influenza has far from stopped mutating. New strains appear every year.

These new types of vaccines work by directly modifying the body's defensive systems for a set of viruses, rather than just showing them what an individual strain (or cocktail of several) looks like.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2022 10:14]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

mRNA research update on 10:24 - Dec 4 with 4088 viewsStokieBlue

mRNA research update on 10:00 - Dec 4 by ChorleyBoy

I could see why you may think that however it doesn't quite work that way.

Flu is very much still mutating, although it's more recombination of the many variants out there into new variants. This differs slightly a bit to the current covid mutations which are actual individual variants suffering mutations in their RNA, some of which are beneficial.

Covid and Flu aren't really similar past being respiratory viruses. The reason you can have a single mRNA vaccine to cover both is because mRNA vaccines don't work like traditional vaccines. With traditional vaccines you often took a weakened form of the virus and used that to train the body hence vaccines tended to be targeted and you needed many to cover things.

With mRNA vaccines they are more like a computer programming language. You "program" them to produce a certain protein which is usually found on the spike of the virus and your body then learns to recognise and fight that protein. Using this technique it's technically possible to create a single mRNA vaccine to replace a good majority of the existing vaccines in a single shot although we are far from doing that.

SB
[Post edited 4 Dec 2022 11:06]

mRNA research update on 11:27 - Dec 4 with 4004 viewsChorleyBoy

mRNA research update on 10:24 - Dec 4 by StokieBlue

I could see why you may think that however it doesn't quite work that way.

Flu is very much still mutating, although it's more recombination of the many variants out there into new variants. This differs slightly a bit to the current covid mutations which are actual individual variants suffering mutations in their RNA, some of which are beneficial.

Covid and Flu aren't really similar past being respiratory viruses. The reason you can have a single mRNA vaccine to cover both is because mRNA vaccines don't work like traditional vaccines. With traditional vaccines you often took a weakened form of the virus and used that to train the body hence vaccines tended to be targeted and you needed many to cover things.

With mRNA vaccines they are more like a computer programming language. You "program" them to produce a certain protein which is usually found on the spike of the virus and your body then learns to recognise and fight that protein. Using this technique it's technically possible to create a single mRNA vaccine to replace a good majority of the existing vaccines in a single shot although we are far from doing that.

SB
[Post edited 4 Dec 2022 11:06]

That throws up more questions than were answered unfortunately.

Are you saying that the protein the jabs stimulate our bodies to produce, recognise and fight is the same for all variants of COVID and flu? If not, how are the proteins which the jabs stimulate the body to produce different to those of the virus spike protein?

In which cells are the target proteins produced, for how long and in what quantities?
mRNA research update on 11:49 - Dec 4 with 3962 viewscatch74

Linking in with Malcolm’s egg thread, one of our neighbours is high up in the company that produces the flu vaccine. Pretty much up to covid they relied on eggs to manufacture their vaccines. Wonder if they used free range, I’ll have to ask him.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

mRNA research update on 12:47 - Dec 4 with 3889 viewsBlueBadger

mRNA research update on 11:27 - Dec 4 by ChorleyBoy

Are you saying that the protein the jabs stimulate our bodies to produce, recognise and fight is the same for all variants of COVID and flu? If not, how are the proteins which the jabs stimulate the body to produce different to those of the virus spike protein?

In which cells are the target proteins produced, for how long and in what quantities?

Generally, stem cells.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/what-is-cancer/how-cancer-starts/h

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

mRNA research update on 13:15 - Dec 4 with 3867 viewsChorleyBoy

mRNA research update on 12:47 - Dec 4 by BlueBadger

Generally, stem cells.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/what-is-cancer/how-cancer-starts/h

Generally, stem cells what?
mRNA research update on 13:28 - Dec 4 with 3853 viewsStokieBlue

mRNA research update on 11:27 - Dec 4 by ChorleyBoy

The "spikes" on the virus are made up of many proteins, some are consistent across all (at the moment at least) variants and thus you can target these specifically across the whole spectrum of variants. Some things within the architecture of both covid and flu can't mutate without making the virus untenable.

Why would you want the proteins to be different to the virus? The whole point is to get the body to recognise the proteins that exist within the virus before you are infected and have to fight off the virus with no immune protection.

The mRNA vaccines work by introducing the mRNA into muscle cells which then make copies of the protein. The mRNA is degraded within a few days as the cell breaks it up into harmless pieces (mRNA is quite fragile hence the extreme storage needs during the pandemic). The proteins which are created last for a few weeks at most just like other proteins manufactured in the body and in that time the immune system learns to detect and destroy them.

SB

mRNA research update on 18:32 - Dec 4 with 3678 viewsChorleyBoy

mRNA research update on 13:28 - Dec 4 by StokieBlue

The "spikes" on the virus are made up of many proteins, some are consistent across all (at the moment at least) variants and thus you can target these specifically across the whole spectrum of variants. Some things within the architecture of both covid and flu can't mutate without making the virus untenable.

Why would you want the proteins to be different to the virus? The whole point is to get the body to recognise the proteins that exist within the virus before you are infected and have to fight off the virus with no immune protection.

The mRNA vaccines work by introducing the mRNA into muscle cells which then make copies of the protein. The mRNA is degraded within a few days as the cell breaks it up into harmless pieces (mRNA is quite fragile hence the extreme storage needs during the pandemic). The proteins which are created last for a few weeks at most just like other proteins manufactured in the body and in that time the immune system learns to detect and destroy them.

SB

If I understand correctly, the answers you have given to my answers are as follows:

Are you saying that the protein the jabs stimulate our bodies to produce, recognise and fight is the same for all variants of COVID and flu?

Yes, although spikes are made up of numerous proteins, some proteins in spikes on flu and Covid virus strains are the same and it is those which which are attacked as they are the same which the mRNA vaccines have "programmed" the body to produce previously.

Only muscle cells; only a few days; you don't know.

If I'm wrong in my interpretation of your answers, please put me right.

Thanks for being on hand to answer these questions.

Edited for accidental inclusion of repeated text at foot of post.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2022 18:51]
mRNA research update on 18:42 - Dec 4 with 3666 viewsStokieBlue

mRNA research update on 18:32 - Dec 4 by ChorleyBoy

If I understand correctly, the answers you have given to my answers are as follows:

Are you saying that the protein the jabs stimulate our bodies to produce, recognise and fight is the same for all variants of COVID and flu?

Yes, although spikes are made up of numerous proteins, some proteins in spikes on flu and Covid virus strains are the same and it is those which which are attacked as they are the same which the mRNA vaccines have "programmed" the body to produce previously.

Only muscle cells; only a few days; you don't know.

If I'm wrong in my interpretation of your answers, please put me right.

Thanks for being on hand to answer these questions.

Edited for accidental inclusion of repeated text at foot of post.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2022 18:51]

Why have you felt the need to rearrange my answers? I covered what you asked in the structure that I provided given you were able to extract and redraft the responses.

- Why is the quantity of proteins produced important? It's going to be far lower than the what would be present during a covid infection as it's not self-replicating.

What are you trying to achieve here? I'd appreciate a less opaque reply to what you've provided thus far.

SB

mRNA research update on 18:59 - Dec 4 with 3636 viewsChorleyBoy

mRNA research update on 18:42 - Dec 4 by StokieBlue

Why have you felt the need to rearrange my answers? I covered what you asked in the structure that I provided given you were able to extract and redraft the responses.

- Why is the quantity of proteins produced important? It's going to be far lower than the what would be present during a covid infection as it's not self-replicating.

What are you trying to achieve here? I'd appreciate a less opaque reply to what you've provided thus far.

SB

I'm sorry for "rearranging" your answers - are they only correct in a specific order?

All I want to do is match your answers to my questions. It's quite innocent, furthermore I said "If I'm wrong in my interpretation of your answers, please put me right."

You haven't confirmed if my interpretation of your answers is correct yet.

I'd have thought the quantity of the proteins produced is important because the immune system has to attack it. If muscle cells all over the body are churning out these proteins for attack, surely the quantity the produce is important.

I'm only trying to understand how these vaccines work and how they can be potentially used for multiple strains of both flu and Covid following your linked article in the OP. I'm not being opaque at all, if anything, you're being a little evasive.
mRNA research update on 10:03 - Dec 9 with 3351 viewsStokieBlue

mRNA research update on 18:59 - Dec 4 by ChorleyBoy

I'm sorry for "rearranging" your answers - are they only correct in a specific order?

All I want to do is match your answers to my questions. It's quite innocent, furthermore I said "If I'm wrong in my interpretation of your answers, please put me right."

You haven't confirmed if my interpretation of your answers is correct yet.

I'd have thought the quantity of the proteins produced is important because the immune system has to attack it. If muscle cells all over the body are churning out these proteins for attack, surely the quantity the produce is important.

I'm only trying to understand how these vaccines work and how they can be potentially used for multiple strains of both flu and Covid following your linked article in the OP. I'm not being opaque at all, if anything, you're being a little evasive.

Apologies for the tardy reply.

If you're questioning is innocent as you say then I will continue to try my best to help you, I am slightly wary as I've seen similarly phrased questions from a number of users who like to "just ask questions" around the vaccine and a few of those have actually been banned.

"I'd have thought the quantity of the proteins produced is important because the immune system has to attack it. If muscle cells all over the body are churning out these proteins for attack, surely the quantity the produce is important."

I don't know the exact quantity of proteins produced but it cannot be large and it's certainly less of a burden than a full blown covid infection. The mRNA is broken down by the cell shortly after the protein is created and then the protein itself is broken down by the bodies immune response. Pfizer contains 30 micrograms of material and Moderna contains 100 micrograms.

I'm not a virologist and I cannot find exact quantities in any studies so you may have to research that a bit more on your own for your understanding.

SB

mRNA research update on 10:22 - Dec 9 with 3297 viewsPippin1970

Can't wait till we all discuss this on the away terraces.
mRNA research update on 10:25 - Dec 9 with 3279 viewsStokieBlue

mRNA research update on 10:22 - Dec 9 by Pippin1970

What is the point of your post?

Do you fancy going back to the other thread and explaining the "detailed research" you've undertaken about covid vaccines and maybe you could also explain your research behind the claim that you only see people who have taken the vaccine get ill?

It really is pathetic stuff from you.

SB

mRNA research update on 10:55 - Dec 9 with 3207 viewsChorleyBoy

mRNA research update on 10:03 - Dec 9 by StokieBlue

If you're questioning is innocent as you say then I will continue to try my best to help you, I am slightly wary as I've seen similarly phrased questions from a number of users who like to "just ask questions" around the vaccine and a few of those have actually been banned.

"I'd have thought the quantity of the proteins produced is important because the immune system has to attack it. If muscle cells all over the body are churning out these proteins for attack, surely the quantity the produce is important."

I don't know the exact quantity of proteins produced but it cannot be large and it's certainly less of a burden than a full blown covid infection. The mRNA is broken down by the cell shortly after the protein is created and then the protein itself is broken down by the bodies immune response. Pfizer contains 30 micrograms of material and Moderna contains 100 micrograms.

I'm not a virologist and I cannot find exact quantities in any studies so you may have to research that a bit more on your own for your understanding.

SB

Better late than never. 🙂

I have no malevolent agenda. People ask questions for a couple of reasons: they either genuinely don't know the answer or they know "the answer" but question it for whatever reason. My questions are initially for the former reason but I am sceptical about the article saying that there could one day be a combined "all known flu and all known Covid variant" vaccine. I'm sceptical about this because it doesn't sit right with the knowledge I have gained about mRNA vaccines to date. Having been vaccinated and boosted for Covid myself, I want to get as much information as possible delivered in a way that's easy to understand. That's why I'm asking you questions (and because you started the OT).

On the subject of just asking questions, I'm wary that these words are becoming slightly weaponised. You put the words in quote marks and others have capitalised the first letter of each word or reduced them to just three letters: JAQ. This is clearly intended to stop mischievous people asking questions but it also prevents innocent inquirers seeking information or expressing doubts. I fear that this is becoming a soft form of limiting freedom of expression but it's censorship all the same.

Thank you. My question was a triple one, and you appear to have answered most of it. ie, I wanted to know how much protein is produced initially and where in the body as well as for how long. It certainly makes sense that the initial burden would be less than a full blown infection but what constitutes a "full blown infection"? Severe symptoms? Inability to work? Hospitalisation? Clearly the age and the underlying health of the sufferer are also important here. Additionally, do you know anything about the mechanism by which the mRNA is broken down by the cell and why this only happens after the protein is produced?

Fair enough, I will continue with my research and carry on asking questions. If you choose not to answer me at any point, that's okay - but please allow me to exercise my right to ask questions without the fear of being accused of denialism or spreading disinformation. 👍🏼
mRNA research update on 11:07 - Dec 9 with 3179 viewsStokieBlue

mRNA research update on 10:55 - Dec 9 by ChorleyBoy

I have no malevolent agenda. People ask questions for a couple of reasons: they either genuinely don't know the answer or they know "the answer" but question it for whatever reason. My questions are initially for the former reason but I am sceptical about the article saying that there could one day be a combined "all known flu and all known Covid variant" vaccine. I'm sceptical about this because it doesn't sit right with the knowledge I have gained about mRNA vaccines to date. Having been vaccinated and boosted for Covid myself, I want to get as much information as possible delivered in a way that's easy to understand. That's why I'm asking you questions (and because you started the OT).

On the subject of just asking questions, I'm wary that these words are becoming slightly weaponised. You put the words in quote marks and others have capitalised the first letter of each word or reduced them to just three letters: JAQ. This is clearly intended to stop mischievous people asking questions but it also prevents innocent inquirers seeking information or expressing doubts. I fear that this is becoming a soft form of limiting freedom of expression but it's censorship all the same.

Thank you. My question was a triple one, and you appear to have answered most of it. ie, I wanted to know how much protein is produced initially and where in the body as well as for how long. It certainly makes sense that the initial burden would be less than a full blown infection but what constitutes a "full blown infection"? Severe symptoms? Inability to work? Hospitalisation? Clearly the age and the underlying health of the sufferer are also important here. Additionally, do you know anything about the mechanism by which the mRNA is broken down by the cell and why this only happens after the protein is produced?

Fair enough, I will continue with my research and carry on asking questions. If you choose not to answer me at any point, that's okay - but please allow me to exercise my right to ask questions without the fear of being accused of denialism or spreading disinformation. 👍🏼

"My questions are initially for the former reason but I am sceptical about the article saying that there could one day be a combined "all known flu and all known Covid variant" vaccine. I'm sceptical about this because it doesn't sit right with the knowledge I have gained about mRNA vaccines to date."

Could you outline why this doesn't sit right with the knowledge you have gained about vaccines to date? Do you have a study showing why this wouldn't be possible?

mRNA vaccines simply encode for proteins which the body then creates, there is no reason they couldn't work for far more than just covid and flu in a single vaccine if you can identify a protein to encode for which is associated with a virus.

"On the subject of just asking questions, I'm wary that these words are becoming slightly weaponised. You put the words in quote marks and others have capitalised the first letter of each word or reduced them to just three letters: JAQ. This is clearly intended to stop mischievous people asking questions but it also prevents innocent inquirers seeking information or expressing doubts. I fear that this is becoming a soft form of limiting freedom of expression but it's censorship all the same."

I don't think this is true and to call it censorship is unfortunate. There were numerous cases of people either wilfully ignoring evidence or posting things which were clearly false all under the blanked of "just asking questions". If you have an issue with people being sceptical about people who are asking questions in this form then you should be focusing your attention on those ruining it for you rather than those wary of motives given historical context.

SB

mRNA research update on 11:16 - Dec 9 with 3139 viewsjeera

Stupid man.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

mRNA research update on 12:33 - Dec 9 with 3016 viewsSpruceMoose

mRNA research update on 10:55 - Dec 9 by ChorleyBoy

Why is this anti-vax misinformation nonsense allowed on here? Bored of people spreading bollox under the guise of Just Asking Questions.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

mRNA research update on 01:43 - Dec 10 with 2817 viewsChorleyBoy

mRNA research update on 12:33 - Dec 9 by SpruceMoose

Why is this anti-vax misinformation nonsense allowed on here? Bored of people spreading bollox under the guise of Just Asking Questions.

Bored of people trying to censor or ban people in the name of spreading misinformation.

You can't accuse someone of spreading misinformation when they are the ones asking for information.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2022 7:18]
mRNA research update on 06:47 - Dec 12 with 2565 viewsBlueBadger

mRNA research update on 01:43 - Dec 10 by ChorleyBoy

Bored of people trying to censor or ban people in the name of spreading misinformation.

You can't accuse someone of spreading misinformation when they are the ones asking for information.

I spent two years working at the critical care sharp end doing the pandemic. Don't you DARE start spouting this disnegnuous and dangerous crap in the general region of me. Misinformation that you're bleating about being 'censored' for(which you're not, it's still here days later) genuinely kills or leaves long term health problems for those who are taken in by the sociopathic c*** spreading it.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2022 6:52]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

mRNA research update on 06:49 - Dec 12 with 2547 viewsBlueBadger

Give over, you massive shellfish.

mRNA research update on 08:45 - Dec 12 with 2413 viewsStokieBlue

mRNA research update on 01:43 - Dec 10 by ChorleyBoy

You're not just asking questions though:

"My questions are initially for the former reason but I am sceptical about the article saying that there could one day be a combined "all known flu and all known Covid variant" vaccine. I'm sceptical about this because it doesn't sit right with the knowledge I have gained about mRNA vaccines to date."

This is a scientific assertion that you've made and given it directly goes against what scientists are saying it could be seen as designed to sow doubt.

You've made a scientific assertion and it's on you to back it up.

SB

mRNA research update on 09:15 - Dec 12 with 2371 viewsBluesky

mRNA research update on 09:55 - Dec 4 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Or something like that..

It stands for "messenger". The RNA in this case acts like a sort of postperson carrying a length of genetic code either between different DNA items or more usually to the place (ribosome) in the cell where the protein that is coded for will be assembled. Nothing to do with Bill Gates - but you knew that really. 😊
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024