Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides 17:16 - Sep 17 with 6384 viewsChrisd

Disappointing, but I'd have taken a point before the game today. However, since we have found ourselves in L1 over the last few seasons we really do struggle to beat any of the top 6 sides. I wonder what our record is over the last 4 seasons? I'm sure the victories over those top sides you could count on 1 hand as a guess.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 17:17 - Sep 17 with 3313 viewsCheltenham_Blue

You can't compare this side with the side that started in League one, or even last years side.
It's a pointless thing to examine.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 17:18 - Sep 17 with 3295 viewsNthsuffolkblue

At least none of them is beating us either and we are consistently winning against those outside the top six. That combination is far better than beating the top six sometimes and then frequently failing to win against the rest. We are top of the league still.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 17:57 - Sep 17 with 3186 viewsChrisd

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 17:17 - Sep 17 by Cheltenham_Blue

You can't compare this side with the side that started in League one, or even last years side.
It's a pointless thing to examine.

What we can compare - whether we like it or not - we still can't beat those sides consistently.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 18:02]

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:01 - Sep 17 with 3162 viewsChrisd

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 17:18 - Sep 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

At least none of them is beating us either and we are consistently winning against those outside the top six. That combination is far better than beating the top six sometimes and then frequently failing to win against the rest. We are top of the league still.

Apart form Wycombe last year we struggled against the Top 8 and finished 13 points outside the play offs. We need to be beating those sides around us far more. It's not really a dig at KM or the players it's more an observation. The fact is, I find it really frustrating because if we could turn those sides over it keeps the chasing pack at arm's length, instead of relying on them to slip up against other sides.

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:09 - Sep 17 with 3096 viewsLankHenners

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:01 - Sep 17 by Chrisd

Apart form Wycombe last year we struggled against the Top 8 and finished 13 points outside the play offs. We need to be beating those sides around us far more. It's not really a dig at KM or the players it's more an observation. The fact is, I find it really frustrating because if we could turn those sides over it keeps the chasing pack at arm's length, instead of relying on them to slip up against other sides.

We're not relying on that at all though as we're top, 4 points ahead of 4th and 7 ahead of 6th. We've played 3 top 6 sides and come far closer to beating all of them than we managed last season. If we carry on not losing to them whilst consistently beating the rest then we'll be fine.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:10 - Sep 17 with 3080 viewsChurchman

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:01 - Sep 17 by Chrisd

We finished miles outside the play offs because we failed to beat likes of Accrington and Burton away and Morecambe at home last year. Win the bread and butter games like Bristol Rovers, FGR, Shrewsbury and not lose to the teams around us and we will get promoted.
So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:24 - Sep 17 with 3026 viewsChrisd

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:10 - Sep 17 by Churchman

We finished miles outside the play offs because we failed to beat likes of Accrington and Burton away and Morecambe at home last year. Win the bread and butter games like Bristol Rovers, FGR, Shrewsbury and not lose to the teams around us and we will get promoted.

I agree to a point, but we got 12 points from the top 6 sides last season from a possible 36. That was 2 wins (both against Wycombe) and 6 draws. If we had got more points against those better sides it would’ve significantly closed that 13 point gap.

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:36 - Sep 17 with 2959 viewsMillsey

For goodness sake stop being a prat
Login to get fewer ads

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:36 - Sep 17 with 2959 viewsStewart27

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:24 - Sep 17 by Chrisd

I agree to a point, but we got 12 points from the top 6 sides last season from a possible 36. That was 2 wins (both against Wycombe) and 6 draws. If we had got more points against those better sides it would’ve significantly closed that 13 point gap.

That was last season. Your comparisons are irrelevant.

We didn’t hear terrible teams and therefore had to beat top teams.

If we draw every game home and away against the top half and win every game home and away against the bottom half, we go up automatically.

Plus if we have VAR we beat Barnsley and Wednesday.

And we’re top of the league for heavens sake.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 18:37]
So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:39 - Sep 17 with 2922 viewsTheBoyBlue

So long as we don't lose to them and beat the other teams, I'm fine with that because it should see us alright.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:41 - Sep 17 with 2910 viewsChrisd

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:36 - Sep 17 by Stewart27

That was last season. Your comparisons are irrelevant.

We didn’t hear terrible teams and therefore had to beat top teams.

If we draw every game home and away against the top half and win every game home and away against the bottom half, we go up automatically.

Plus if we have VAR we beat Barnsley and Wednesday.

And we’re top of the league for heavens sake.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 18:37]

We haven’t got VAR in L1 so that point is completely irrelevant.

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:42 - Sep 17 with 2906 viewsSarge

What exactly are we supposed to do? We’ve lost 4 points this season through utterly appalling officiating. What more can you do when all the hard work throughout the week and the game is thrown away by a halfwit completely out of our control?
So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:44 - Sep 17 with 2895 viewsChrisd

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:42 - Sep 17 by Sarge

What exactly are we supposed to do? We’ve lost 4 points this season through utterly appalling officiating. What more can you do when all the hard work throughout the week and the game is thrown away by a halfwit completely out of our control?

Every side playing at every standard of football over the weekend can say that about the officials and I’m sure they do come the final whistle.

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:46 - Sep 17 with 2876 viewsVic

This was @n away fixture against one of the top sides in this league. A win was one of the less likely outcomes for us. A draw is fine in this game. Gutted to see we let a 2 goal lead slip, but we’d have taken the draw before the game started so I’ll take it now. Especially given it sounds like we acquitted ourselves well against them.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:49 - Sep 17 with 2864 viewsSarge

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:44 - Sep 17 by Chrisd

Every side playing at every standard of football over the weekend can say that about the officials and I’m sure they do come the final whistle.

The decisions that directly cost us both wins are of the calibre where those officials should not be in the professional game. There are poor decisions in every game, there are not often ones that are so objectively poor and have such a big impact on the result.
So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:49 - Sep 17 with 2860 viewsChrisd

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:46 - Sep 17 by Vic

This was @n away fixture against one of the top sides in this league. A win was one of the less likely outcomes for us. A draw is fine in this game. Gutted to see we let a 2 goal lead slip, but we’d have taken the draw before the game started so I’ll take it now. Especially given it sounds like we acquitted ourselves well against them.

I agree Vic, like I said in my original post I would’ve taken a draw if offered it before the start. Nevertheless, 0-2 up with 15 minutes to go is disappointing, you can’t sugarcoat that.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 19:09]

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:52 - Sep 17 with 2836 viewsChrisd

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:49 - Sep 17 by Sarge

The decisions that directly cost us both wins are of the calibre where those officials should not be in the professional game. There are poor decisions in every game, there are not often ones that are so objectively poor and have such a big impact on the result.

Have a look in the EPL mate and they have VAR, so shouldn’t have any excuses, but the decisions there are just as bad if not worse because they have the replays to help them get the decisions right. We will find ourselves on the right side of some poor decisions this season, it’s the nature of the beast.

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:55 - Sep 17 with 2790 viewsStewart27

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:41 - Sep 17 by Chrisd

No I know we haven’t. I’m just saying IF we had.

Regardless of that your point remains irrelevant because we’re playing teams in the top and bottom half and we’re top of the league.

Do you deny that?
So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:57 - Sep 17 with 2770 viewsMattinLondon

Does it really matter who we beat or draw with? We’re currently averaging over two points a game which is almost guaranteed promotion. I’m happy drawing with top 6 teams whilst beating lower placed teams.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 18:57]
So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:57 - Sep 17 with 2765 viewsChrisd

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:55 - Sep 17 by Stewart27

No I know we haven’t. I’m just saying IF we had.

Regardless of that your point remains irrelevant because we’re playing teams in the top and bottom half and we’re top of the league.

Do you deny that?

Of course not, but do you deny that we struggle to beat those better sides?

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 19:13 - Sep 17 with 2672 viewsWicklowBlue

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:49 - Sep 17 by Chrisd

I agree Vic, like I said in my original post I would’ve taken a draw if offered it before the start. Nevertheless, 0-2 up with 15 minutes to go is disappointing, you can’t sugarcoat that.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 19:09]

It was 15 mins to go plus stoppage time. the issue was we let them back into the game shortly after the second goal.

Plus we're only 9 games in with loads of time for McK and the squad to learn from these experiences. Yes the draw is disappointing but not the end of the world. This team is poles apart from last year's, nothing for fret about. The next 2 games will tell us more where we are.

We're still top of the league!
So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 19:15 - Sep 17 with 2658 viewspatrickswell

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 18:41 - Sep 17 by Chrisd

No, we’ve got a referee who disallowed a perfectly good goal against Barnsley and a linesman who has apparently waved through an offside goal today. It’s hard to get victories over the top 6 sides when they have a 12th man helping them out at key moments.

We are at least 2 points up on the total number of points gained from Bolton (h) and Sheffield Wed (a) compared to last season though, so take heart.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 19:17]
So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 19:21 - Sep 17 with 2628 viewsChrisd

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 19:13 - Sep 17 by WicklowBlue

It was 15 mins to go plus stoppage time. the issue was we let them back into the game shortly after the second goal.

Plus we're only 9 games in with loads of time for McK and the squad to learn from these experiences. Yes the draw is disappointing but not the end of the world. This team is poles apart from last year's, nothing for fret about. The next 2 games will tell us more where we are.

We're still top of the league!

Yes, duly noted and edited. I’m not fretting about the team, it’s more an observation that we seem unable to beat those top 6 sides that often. I appreciate some people don’t like it, but the facts don’t lie.

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 19:31 - Sep 17 with 2593 viewsWicklowBlue

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 19:21 - Sep 17 by Chrisd

Yes, duly noted and edited. I’m not fretting about the team, it’s more an observation that we seem unable to beat those top 6 sides that often. I appreciate some people don’t like it, but the facts don’t lie.

I hear you! I was super nervous today but we held our own didn't we? Another day and that's 3 points for us. Which makes a difference from previous seasons where I'd go into games hoping for a result and being 2 down twenty mins in.

Hopefully the next 2 games will ease the concerns. However the league table is still forming so the top 6 will change a lot between now and mid way through the season.

As the saying goes "We go again".
So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 19:37 - Sep 17 with 2553 viewspointofblue

So frustrating we just can't seem to beat the top 6 sides on 19:31 - Sep 17 by WicklowBlue

I hear you! I was super nervous today but we held our own didn't we? Another day and that's 3 points for us. Which makes a difference from previous seasons where I'd go into games hoping for a result and being 2 down twenty mins in.

Hopefully the next 2 games will ease the concerns. However the league table is still forming so the top 6 will change a lot between now and mid way through the season.

As the saying goes "We go again".

Throwing away a two goal lead is not something promoted teams tend to do. Winners win because they hold out, not give away leads in the manner we did today.

It's early in the season and a point is a point, but it's not good to be letting all three slip away in the manner we did.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024