Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England XI for the 2nd Test 13:47 - Aug 24 with 2227 viewsChrisd

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62660305

Naturally, Crawley's selection will be the big talking point, but I think our bowling looked and has looked quite ordinary at times this summer. I appreciate both Anderson and Broad have been terrific bowlers for England for a long time, but how do the younger bowlers get their chance if these two keep taking up two spaces in the XI? We just aren't moving forwards. For me, it's one space and you rotate them for each test. Feel for Potts, but I still feel Anderson and Broad have too much influence in our side.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 13:49]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

England XI for the 2nd Test on 13:57 - Aug 24 with 1764 viewsMookamoo

Not quite sure what Crawley has to do in order to get dropped. Might as well put anyone in and see how they get on. Nothing to lose if the pick Vince, Malan or Sibley.

Play Brooks at 5, Bairstow to keep wicket at 6. I know Bairstow had a good run without being keeper, but doesn't do that consistently enough to warrant a place as batter alone.

Let Brooks learn from being around Root.
England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:00 - Aug 24 with 1744 viewsFtnfwest

England XI for the 2nd Test on 13:57 - Aug 24 by Mookamoo

Not quite sure what Crawley has to do in order to get dropped. Might as well put anyone in and see how they get on. Nothing to lose if the pick Vince, Malan or Sibley.

Play Brooks at 5, Bairstow to keep wicket at 6. I know Bairstow had a good run without being keeper, but doesn't do that consistently enough to warrant a place as batter alone.

Let Brooks learn from being around Root.

Would love to see Vince get one more go but he's wrapped up with the 100. Was/still am a fan of Crawley but its getting ridiculous now to the extent that he'll start dragging others (Lees, Pope) down with him if we're not careful.
England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:10 - Aug 24 with 1720 viewsMookamoo

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:00 - Aug 24 by Ftnfwest

Would love to see Vince get one more go but he's wrapped up with the 100. Was/still am a fan of Crawley but its getting ridiculous now to the extent that he'll start dragging others (Lees, Pope) down with him if we're not careful.

Is that why any likely options to replace Crawley are not being considered? Can they not get out of that stupid 100 thing?
England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:13 - Aug 24 with 1705 viewsSaleAway

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:00 - Aug 24 by Ftnfwest

Ah, I've found someone who supports Crawley other than the current England setup, are you able to explain what it is that you like? 84 first class matches, average under 30, 6 hundreds.

McCullum says he wants him to "win matches for England" - but both his hundreds have been made on flat decks in matches england have drawn.

England have won 10 matches with Zak Crawley playing, in which he averages 18.

I'm desperate to know what people see in him. I can only assume he's paying to play, like some formula 1 drivers... is his Dad bankrolling the ECB?

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:14 - Aug 24 with 1698 viewsFtnfwest

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:10 - Aug 24 by Mookamoo

Is that why any likely options to replace Crawley are not being considered? Can they not get out of that stupid 100 thing?

in a couple of cases yes, but there are others in county cricket. Vince is captain of the defending champs so.... (mind you they aren't doing very well this year)
England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:35 - Aug 24 with 1624 viewsgainsboroughblue

A classic England test selection after a crushing defeat and inept batting display. Yep, drop a bowler.

I appreciate the reasoning given about Robinson and the pitch but it still doesn't send out a great message. I didn't think Crawley would be dropped following McCullum's comments but having a walking wicket as an opener puts you on the back foot (no pun intended) straight away.

Trouble is, nobody else is staking a claim for a place, in no small part to he fact that August has been wall to wall white ball cricket. The county sides are developing players for themselves in the One Day Cup and of course, the Hundred is in full swing.

As a test side, we've not chosen the best time to need to look elsewhere after a humbling start against the best bowling attack in this format.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 14:35]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:43 - Aug 24 with 1592 viewschicoazul

The batting misfired so they change the bowling. Same old England.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:43 - Aug 24 with 1593 viewsSaleAway

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:35 - Aug 24 by gainsboroughblue

A classic England test selection after a crushing defeat and inept batting display. Yep, drop a bowler.

I appreciate the reasoning given about Robinson and the pitch but it still doesn't send out a great message. I didn't think Crawley would be dropped following McCullum's comments but having a walking wicket as an opener puts you on the back foot (no pun intended) straight away.

Trouble is, nobody else is staking a claim for a place, in no small part to he fact that August has been wall to wall white ball cricket. The county sides are developing players for themselves in the One Day Cup and of course, the Hundred is in full swing.

As a test side, we've not chosen the best time to need to look elsewhere after a humbling start against the best bowling attack in this format.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 14:35]

if you just look at div 1 first class runs from this season, openers are actually not doing badly.

Ben Compton ( Crawleys opening partner at Kent) has over 1000 runs, 4 hundreds, at an average >60

Keaton Jennings has 800+ runs with 3 hundreds, average 69

Rory Burns averages 45 with 3 hundreds

Alastair Cook averages 45 with 4 hundreds.

Zak Crawley average less than 100 year old Darren Stevens, that Kent are releasing.... says it all really....

Login to get fewer ads

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:51 - Aug 24 with 1572 viewsgainsboroughblue

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:43 - Aug 24 by SaleAway

if you just look at div 1 first class runs from this season, openers are actually not doing badly.

Ben Compton ( Crawleys opening partner at Kent) has over 1000 runs, 4 hundreds, at an average >60

Keaton Jennings has 800+ runs with 3 hundreds, average 69

Rory Burns averages 45 with 3 hundreds

Alastair Cook averages 45 with 4 hundreds.

Zak Crawley average less than 100 year old Darren Stevens, that Kent are releasing.... says it all really....

Agreed. There has been a lot of runs scored this year and I've been impressed by all the players you've mentioned. Add to that Sam Northeast in Div 2. Tom Haines at Sussex was doing ok until injured.

My point was more that the selectors are less likely to look elsewhere at the moment because no red ball cricket is being played anywhere. If the shambles we had just seen happened in May/June, it's more likely we'd have seen change.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:56 - Aug 24 with 1561 viewsstonojnr

they were always just going to make a bowling change, its just the ECB selection way.

they werent going to drop Jimmy for Old Trafford, which I felt probably meant Broad was going to be the likeliest swap to bring in Robinson.

but I was reminded that Ollie Robinson really needs to prove he can last a test match without breaking down again (though the way England play at the moment maybe only needs a few days effort)

and if you were going to suddenly find yourself light with a bowler not able to bowl, would you stick with Broad or Potts, and its got to be Broad really, Potts at this stage cant be expected to take on that extra senior bowler workload.

disappointing for Potts obviously but youve got to remember the noises from Stokes and the team is they dont think anything they did batting wise was wrong at Lords and will keep playing the same way, so why would you change the batting line up if thats how you viewed the game ?

personally yes Id have liked to see them drop Crawley, but force Stokes to be bat only and push up the order, and make it a Crawley/Robinson swap. though you can always argue thats not enough runs in a misfiring batting unit, but if Bairstow/Root/Stokes remember how to bat, you will score runs and then have enough bowling options.
England XI for the 2nd Test on 15:51 - Aug 24 with 1479 viewsRadlett_blue

Potts didn't bowl well at Lords & Robinson is due a recall. Broad & Anderson aren't the future & England are currently putting out an attack with 4 bowlers in no more than the low 80s, which is pop-gun versus the Saffers unless the ball is doing a lot. However, do we have better bowlers than Anderson & Broad right now, especially as the speedsters all seem to be injured.?
Keeping Crawley is bizarre as he has never looked like a Test opener. Not sure who should replace him. Bringing back Sibley or Jennings would seem a backwards step, but they loom more like openers than Crawley.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

England XI for the 2nd Test on 16:28 - Aug 24 with 1410 viewsChrisd

England XI for the 2nd Test on 15:51 - Aug 24 by Radlett_blue

Potts didn't bowl well at Lords & Robinson is due a recall. Broad & Anderson aren't the future & England are currently putting out an attack with 4 bowlers in no more than the low 80s, which is pop-gun versus the Saffers unless the ball is doing a lot. However, do we have better bowlers than Anderson & Broad right now, especially as the speedsters all seem to be injured.?
Keeping Crawley is bizarre as he has never looked like a Test opener. Not sure who should replace him. Bringing back Sibley or Jennings would seem a backwards step, but they loom more like openers than Crawley.

I find Broad’s bowling becoming less effective as each test passes.

England XI for the 2nd Test on 16:36 - Aug 24 with 1396 viewsSaleAway

England XI for the 2nd Test on 16:28 - Aug 24 by Chrisd

I find Broad’s bowling becoming less effective as each test passes.

The thing is that Broad is in for the same reason that Crawley is, but in his case it is justified.... he won't take 4 wickets an innings for you, but he does have the capability to bowl match winning spells, and when he isn't doing that, he generally offers decent control.

England XI for the 2nd Test on 18:24 - Aug 24 with 1325 viewsChrisd

England XI for the 2nd Test on 16:36 - Aug 24 by SaleAway

The thing is that Broad is in for the same reason that Crawley is, but in his case it is justified.... he won't take 4 wickets an innings for you, but he does have the capability to bowl match winning spells, and when he isn't doing that, he generally offers decent control.

Anderson offers control and does it better than Broad. I’m sure I read on Twitter that since Potts has been selected for England his bowling average is better than Broad’s and the Durham lad is the one that gets dropped.

England XI for the 2nd Test on 18:25 - Aug 24 with 1323 viewsGuthrum

England XI for the 2nd Test on 16:36 - Aug 24 by SaleAway

And he can hit the ball a bit (joint top scorer in England's 1st innings in the First Test).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

England XI for the 2nd Test on 18:41 - Aug 24 with 1297 viewsFtnfwest

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:13 - Aug 24 by SaleAway

Ah, I've found someone who supports Crawley other than the current England setup, are you able to explain what it is that you like? 84 first class matches, average under 30, 6 hundreds.

McCullum says he wants him to "win matches for England" - but both his hundreds have been made on flat decks in matches england have drawn.

England have won 10 matches with Zak Crawley playing, in which he averages 18.

I'm desperate to know what people see in him. I can only assume he's paying to play, like some formula 1 drivers... is his Dad bankrolling the ECB?

His shot playing at times is world class, but if you look closely I did say the situation was getting ridiculous. He has to go now. I think the end came when they made him an opener after Burns and Hameed were dropped. He simply isn’t one.
England XI for the 2nd Test on 18:54 - Aug 24 with 1266 viewsmylittletown

England XI for the 2nd Test on 18:41 - Aug 24 by Ftnfwest

His shot playing at times is world class, but if you look closely I did say the situation was getting ridiculous. He has to go now. I think the end came when they made him an opener after Burns and Hameed were dropped. He simply isn’t one.

He is not an opener, so it is a bit unfair to open with him. However getting out to the same shot, time and time again, as he does, is stupid or arrogant.
He needs to go away and work at his judgement of shot outside off stump.
England XI for the 2nd Test on 22:41 - Aug 24 with 1173 viewsBlueForYou

England Test selection is a joke, it’s the worst “jobs for the boys” scenario I can remember. Crawley will struggle in Kents 2nd XI, he Just can’t play the moving ball so why on earth is he there? Having watched him bowl at Lord’s, Broad should have been dropped, he was useless & offered zero threat to the batsmen. We also struggle at 8 with no strong bowling all rounder, yet Craig Overton took wickets in the Lions game & is a strong batsman. I think Lees could do well if they leave him alone to play his natural game. He needs a proper partner. I might consider harshly leaving out Foakes in order to get Brooks into the middle order. Bairstow at 6 with the gloves. Stokes at 7, Overton at 8, Potts 9, Leach & Anderson. A fair few players out there making runs. Brook, Jennings, Sibley, Duckett, Hain, Bohannon, Compton is just short of 1300 runs this summer. Lawrence has returned from injury & deserves his place after a decent winter. Toby Roland Jones in form again after a two year injury nightmare. Don’t forget we’re missing Archer, Wood, Stone, Jamie Overton, all 90 mph bowlers, to injuries. Plus Woakes & Mahmood are also injured. They won’t pick either of the Curran’s, who have never let us down. Then there’s Matthew Fisher who I thought did well in the Caribbean. You can’t say we don’t have the players or the talent. Selection policy is based upon favouritism. We looked shambolic at Lords & I’m not sure we have enough to turn that around, but hope we do.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 22:42]
England XI for the 2nd Test on 10:55 - Aug 25 with 1077 viewsBlueForYou

South Africa have left out Jansen for Simon Harmer. Won the toss & will bat. We'll have to bat last on a turning pitch against Maharaj & Harmer. Our bowling needs to be spot on this morning or we're in big trouble.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2022 14:31]
England XI for the 2nd Test on 12:04 - Aug 25 with 1035 viewsSaleAway

Good start for the old stagers. one each for Broad and Anderson. Could do with rolling them over here.

England XI for the 2nd Test on 13:13 - Aug 25 with 974 viewsBlueForYou

Terrific morning session for England. Much better. Were right on top now. Couple of bad shots but our bowlers applied proper pressure. Robinson was unplayable at times.
England XI for the 2nd Test on 13:24 - Aug 25 with 952 viewsSteve_M

England XI for the 2nd Test on 18:24 - Aug 24 by Chrisd

Anderson offers control and does it better than Broad. I’m sure I read on Twitter that since Potts has been selected for England his bowling average is better than Broad’s and the Durham lad is the one that gets dropped.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

England XI for the 2nd Test on 14:43 - Aug 25 with 895 viewsChrisd

England XI for the 2nd Test on 13:24 - Aug 25 by Steve_M

Yes, it’s great Broad has these sorts of mornings, but let’s not forget the dross he bowled at Lords and has done at times when he’s looked quite ineffective. I think people have short memories after one decent session. If we are relying on him in 5 years time then we really have got problems with our bowling.

England XI for the 2nd Test on 18:35 - Aug 25 with 846 viewsChrisd

Credit to Crawley, he battled really hard there in that session. He probably knows himself that most people think he should be out of the side.

England XI for the 2nd Test on 18:40 - Aug 25 with 827 viewsSteve_M

England XI for the 2nd Test on 18:35 - Aug 25 by Chrisd

Credit to Crawley, he battled really hard there in that session. He probably knows himself that most people think he should be out of the side.

Been a good day for England all round, things to improve on - bowling at the tail, Root with another slightly loose dismissal - but they made the best of the conditions early on and that last partnership has whittled down the SA lead.

Crawley got totally becalmed at one point, moving from 5 to 9 took ages, but by staying in he helped give Bairstow the platform to score quickly. The target has to be a big first innings lead and the chance of an innings win. That sets things up nicely for the Oval in a fortnight.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024