Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? 14:00 - Jun 23 with 847 viewsSTYG

Would love to face them in the League Cup at home.

A year ago the thought would have petrified me. Seven months ago even more so.

But seen enough from McKenna and this squad to think we'd be hard to break down, cause them problems.

Anyone petrified by them now, it's just the hangover of the last decade. Morecambe went to Spurs, led and were 15 minutes away from glory. The gap between us and the Budgies (whilst it seems mad still to admit the gap is them being better than us) is as small as it's been for the last 5 years and I'd honestly love to face them. In the last 5-10 years I've dreaded playing them having spent 30 years before that relishing it.

Not sure I'd want them away just yet mind as feel that home advantage in our favour, how much we'd want to beat them and the chance they'd not have the same desire to beat us, would just about be an evener.

Bring it on.

Annoyingly though you just know it'll be Gillingham now we can't play them in the League or the Pizza Champions League.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 14:01]
How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:04 - Jun 23 with 812 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I want the scum away in the cup

5,000 Ipswich taking over their sh**hole of a stadium for a midweek game would be class

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:05 - Jun 23 with 808 viewsSTYG

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:04 - Jun 23 by The_Romford_Blue

5,000 Ipswich taking over their sh**hole of a stadium for a midweek game would be class

Is there a guaranteed percentage that we get for the League Cup?

Otherwise, they'd give us about 50 tickets out of fear.
How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:09 - Jun 23 with 766 viewsipswichtillidie

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:04 - Jun 23 by The_Romford_Blue

It’s the only reason for me to be interested in the draw otherwise just a pointless distraction from the real task ahead

Gav

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:10 - Jun 23 with 756 viewsSimonds92

No idea where this massive overconfidence and blind faith in everything we're doing is coming from. Quiet optimism fair enough but based on our performances under McKenna last season against the better teams in the league I'm certainly not expecting us to run away with the league like some are convinced we are going to.
How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:11 - Jun 23 with 753 viewsBonneNIL

As bad as Norwich are in the Premier League, this is mostly the same side and philosophy that had them walk the Championship twice, and their manager is no mug either. We however have lost key players over the summer, haven't exactly replaced them yet, and finished mid-table in League One during that same period.

We'd get hammered. I admire the optimism but they are absolutely lightyears ahead of us now, they have a playing staff worth more than Gamechanger bought our club for, and we can thank Mr. Evans for that.

I really do think we are going to have a lot of disappointed fans, the expectations are unrealistic and probably sillier than we have ever seen, until we see some genuine progress and not just nice soundbites, I will remain cautious about getting over-excited about whats happening here.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:17 - Jun 23 with 725 viewsBonneNIL

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:10 - Jun 23 by Simonds92

No idea where this massive overconfidence and blind faith in everything we're doing is coming from. Quiet optimism fair enough but based on our performances under McKenna last season against the better teams in the league I'm certainly not expecting us to run away with the league like some are convinced we are going to.

I know many are desperate for some success, but I am with you, McKenna didn't do any better with the "best squad in the league" than Cook had, and I don't expect Cook would have finished any lower either had he stayed. My fear with Mckenna is he's like Paul Hurst, a manager given an opportunity above his ability, let's be frank running Mancher Uniteds U23s is equivalent to running a reserve team, it's not the same as competitive football. Ipswich is a club with problems, and has been for years, the task could well be beyond him, and this window so far appears to be a dud. Have Gamechanger switched off the tap after last season?

There is nothing to suggest this squad is any better than the teams above us or the ex-Championship sides right now. We've lost key players and replaced them with frees and a loan with an injury record and someone who had performed poorly elsewhere. This smacks more of Evans every day.

I hope I am wrong, but unless we replace the likes of Celina, and recruit an out-and-out goalscorer we will finish mid-table with this lot again.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:20 - Jun 23 with 711 viewsSTYG

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:11 - Jun 23 by BonneNIL

As bad as Norwich are in the Premier League, this is mostly the same side and philosophy that had them walk the Championship twice, and their manager is no mug either. We however have lost key players over the summer, haven't exactly replaced them yet, and finished mid-table in League One during that same period.

We'd get hammered. I admire the optimism but they are absolutely lightyears ahead of us now, they have a playing staff worth more than Gamechanger bought our club for, and we can thank Mr. Evans for that.

I really do think we are going to have a lot of disappointed fans, the expectations are unrealistic and probably sillier than we have ever seen, until we see some genuine progress and not just nice soundbites, I will remain cautious about getting over-excited about whats happening here.

Why would we?

We lost to Newport. A division below us.

On the same evening about 8 teams of the 30 ties or whatever it was lost to lower league opposition.

It's the same logic that means 20 goal Piggott can come here and be rubbish but Michael Smith can't fail at Sheffield Wednesday as they are not us.

Bradford beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, the hosts having their full strength side out. As I said, little Morecambe went to Spurs and led after 75 minutes. But because it's us we'd have to be humiliated by Norwich. Why?

Teams struggled to score against us. We keep the ball well. If I've seen any League One side equipped to cause a higher division team issues it's the McKenna side of most of last season.

It's not about p*ssing the league over 46 matches. It's suggesting we can't, for 90 minutes, hold our own against a team that might be 10-30 places above us next season come May, when every other club outside the Premier League is capable of competing with teams of the same difference in a one off cup tie.

But not us. Not even with the incentive of it being our rivals and having 25,000 home fans or 5,000 away fans roaring us on.
How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:20 - Jun 23 with 703 viewsdavblue

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:10 - Jun 23 by Simonds92

PPG over a smaller sample and people losing their heads.

Everyone should be positive and feel very encouraged by what's happened over the last 6 months, but still an awful long way to go to be the real deal and that's very much yet to be proved by the team and management.
Login to get fewer ads

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:21 - Jun 23 with 683 viewsSTYG

Who mentioned running away with the league.

Simply mentioned I feel we could beat a team from the division above in a one off cup tie, especially if at home.

Would you like me to link all the cup results from last and show you just how frequently that actually happens? Because it is a lot.

So why are we unable to do what plenty of other clubs below us in the pyramid regularly do?

EDIT

Blackburn Rovers (2) 1—2 Morecambe (3)
Hull City (2) 1—1 (7—8 p) Wigan Athletic (3)
Forest Green Rovers (4) 2—2 (6—5 p) Bristol City (2)
Ipswich Town (3) 0—1 Newport County (4)
Peterborough United (2) 0—4 Plymouth Argyle (3)
Stevenage (4) 2—2 (3—0 p) Luton Town (2)
Coventry City (2) 1—2 Northampton Town (4)
Oldham Athletic (4) 0—0 (5—4 p) Accrington Stanley (3)
Shrewsbury Town (3) 0—2 Rochdale (4)
Blackpool (2) 2—3 Sunderland (3)
Queens Park Rangers (2) 2—2 (8—7 p) Everton (1)
Watford (1) 1—3 Stoke City (2)
Queens Park Rangers (2) 0—0 (1—3 p) Sunderland (3)

All from the last few rounds last season. But of course we couldn't possibly win!
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 14:27]
How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:22 - Jun 23 with 676 viewsSwansea_Blue

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:17 - Jun 23 by BonneNIL

I know many are desperate for some success, but I am with you, McKenna didn't do any better with the "best squad in the league" than Cook had, and I don't expect Cook would have finished any lower either had he stayed. My fear with Mckenna is he's like Paul Hurst, a manager given an opportunity above his ability, let's be frank running Mancher Uniteds U23s is equivalent to running a reserve team, it's not the same as competitive football. Ipswich is a club with problems, and has been for years, the task could well be beyond him, and this window so far appears to be a dud. Have Gamechanger switched off the tap after last season?

There is nothing to suggest this squad is any better than the teams above us or the ex-Championship sides right now. We've lost key players and replaced them with frees and a loan with an injury record and someone who had performed poorly elsewhere. This smacks more of Evans every day.

I hope I am wrong, but unless we replace the likes of Celina, and recruit an out-and-out goalscorer we will finish mid-table with this lot again.

Except McKenna did do better with the same squad. That was clear to see from watching the games and borne out in the stats (1.27 ppg for Cook, 1.78 ppg for McK, based on total game stats off wiki).

I know you don't like McK, but any criticism should at least be based in reality.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 14:35]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:23 - Jun 23 with 672 viewsdavblue

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:17 - Jun 23 by BonneNIL

This is a bit over the top.

McKenna did do better than Cook and there's so much factually incorrect statements in this post.

I think we would have a really good chance of play offs with this team as it is now.
How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:24 - Jun 23 with 633 viewsdirtyboy

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:11 - Jun 23 by BonneNIL

In the world of BonneNIL

KM> So Mark, I've been thinking, all these key players, I think we shouldn't bother renewing

MA>Do you think you get get better in?

KM>Not at all

MA>Why let them go then?

KM>I didn't really like Norwood's celebrations and i'm cheesed off that Bonne is loved by everyone

MA>Shouldn't we really have replacements lined up though?

KM>Not at all, any tool with a pair of size 9s can fill in.
How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:27 - Jun 23 with 612 viewsGuthrum

Unlikely. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:32 - Jun 23 with 567 viewsBiGDonnie

Such an obvious budgie - you got nothing better to do with your time?

If you're not a budgie your worse that frimmers which tbh is worse.

Not even started our friendlies and we have to deal with posts like this, absolutely tragic.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:44 - Jun 23 with 518 viewsbrogansnose

How many of you share my confidence that we could take the Budgies? on 14:05 - Jun 23 by STYG

Is there a guaranteed percentage that we get for the League Cup?

Otherwise, they'd give us about 50 tickets out of fear.

Well, certainly Norfolk plod would have a litter of kittens and kick off would be on the Tuesday morning.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024