Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... 09:00 - Mar 1 with 1950 viewsitfcjoe

.....and scary one.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 09:25 - Mar 1 with 1840 viewshype313

Sobering read.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 09:51 - Mar 1 with 1782 viewsElderGrizzly

She's very much someone worth listening to and a source of intel and a sounding board for many Governments around the world
Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 10:12 - Mar 1 with 1727 viewsitfcjoe

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 09:51 - Mar 1 by ElderGrizzly

She's very much someone worth listening to and a source of intel and a sounding board for many Governments around the world

Heard a podcast with her before - incredible journey from a local comprehensive up in the North East to advising the President!

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 10:25 - Mar 1 with 1683 viewsSteve_M

Yeah, read that earlier. Pretty grim.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 12:37 - Mar 1 with 1515 viewsSwansea_Blue

Grim, but fascinating. In these days of puff pieces and soundbites, it’s really interesting to hear from someone who knows what they’re talking about.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:14 - Mar 1 with 1427 viewsDarth_Koont

Cheers for that. Very interesting.

Must admit I had her down as much more of a hawk. But that was probably due to her proximity to John Bolton. Here, she’s “hawkish” but still reasonable and sensible..

Couple of points stood out:

1. She’s a hawk like an Early Warning System. And you can sense her frustration with where we’ve arrived in 2022. Given 2014, 2008 and even the longer historic context from where Putin and his threat have emerged. Whether it’s short-term electoral cycles, even shorter news cycles or an overriding drive to profit from the Russian market and its cash-rich oligarchs, we seem to have largely sleepwalked to where we are now. Early prevention is better than the current cure (if that even is possible).

2. Make this about ESG and companies/individuals choices to do business with Russia and Russian companies. It’s largely an admission that the conventional statecraft of diplomacy and military posturing has failed. But I think that’s because it’s Putin’s arena. But bypassing him and putting moral and democratic pressure on Russian companies and individuals by refusing to do business with them (and thereby indirectly support Putin’s regime) might have much more of a chance of bringing Putin to his senses and the negotiating table. He’s authoritarian but he still needs popular support – and this organic divestment would threaten that while avoiding countries lining up against him and giving him his meagre excuse.

Pronouns: He/Him

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:32 - Mar 1 with 1348 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:14 - Mar 1 by Darth_Koont

Must admit I had her down as much more of a hawk. But that was probably due to her proximity to John Bolton. Here, she’s “hawkish” but still reasonable and sensible..

1. She’s a hawk like an Early Warning System. And you can sense her frustration with where we’ve arrived in 2022. Given 2014, 2008 and even the longer historic context from where Putin and his threat have emerged. Whether it’s short-term electoral cycles, even shorter news cycles or an overriding drive to profit from the Russian market and its cash-rich oligarchs, we seem to have largely sleepwalked to where we are now. Early prevention is better than the current cure (if that even is possible).

2. Make this about ESG and companies/individuals choices to do business with Russia and Russian companies. It’s largely an admission that the conventional statecraft of diplomacy and military posturing has failed. But I think that’s because it’s Putin’s arena. But bypassing him and putting moral and democratic pressure on Russian companies and individuals by refusing to do business with them (and thereby indirectly support Putin’s regime) might have much more of a chance of bringing Putin to his senses and the negotiating table. He’s authoritarian but he still needs popular support – and this organic divestment would threaten that while avoiding countries lining up against him and giving him his meagre excuse.

On point 2, I saw some insensitive pr*** on social media who was berating BP’s CEO for announcing the divestment of their Rosneft interests (on the basis of it negatively impacting his investment. I mean you really have to be a sociopath for that to be your top concern.

With regards to trading with Russia though, the theory that international trade and mutual financial interest (a la EU origins) seems to have failed dismally.
Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:39 - Mar 1 with 1321 viewsSteve_M

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:14 - Mar 1 by Darth_Koont

Yes, would agree on both of those.

One other part that stood out from a historical perspective was this bit:

"When we look at old maps of Europe – probably the maps he’s [Putin's] been looking at – you find all kinds of strange entities, like the Sanjak of Novi Pazar in the Balkans. I used to think, what the hell is that? These are all little places that have dependency on a bigger power and were created to prevent the formation of larger viable states in contested regions."

Which has been Russian policy in South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transdniestra etc.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:45 - Mar 1 with 1283 viewsDarth_Koont

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:32 - Mar 1 by SuperKieranMcKenna

On point 2, I saw some insensitive pr*** on social media who was berating BP’s CEO for announcing the divestment of their Rosneft interests (on the basis of it negatively impacting his investment. I mean you really have to be a sociopath for that to be your top concern.

With regards to trading with Russia though, the theory that international trade and mutual financial interest (a la EU origins) seems to have failed dismally.

I think trade has an overall democratising and peace-bringing effect.

Problem has been a lot of the trade with Russia hasn’t been exactly rules-based and has rather cemented power in the hands of the few.

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:45 - Mar 1 with 1280 viewslowhouseblue

but of course there is nothing in what she says to suggest that nato has triggered russian expansionism - quite the opposite, that nato needed to be be more effective earlier. her analysis isn't compatible with those who want to blame, or part blame, nato for initiating this response. there's no comfort for the stop war loons in what she says.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:50 - Mar 1 with 1243 viewsDarth_Koont

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:45 - Mar 1 by lowhouseblue

but of course there is nothing in what she says to suggest that nato has triggered russian expansionism - quite the opposite, that nato needed to be be more effective earlier. her analysis isn't compatible with those who want to blame, or part blame, nato for initiating this response. there's no comfort for the stop war loons in what she says.

I didn’t read it that way.

She explicitly makes the point about the trigger in 2008 over Georgia.

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:55 - Mar 1 with 1214 viewslowhouseblue

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:50 - Mar 1 by Darth_Koont

I didn’t read it that way.

She explicitly makes the point about the trigger in 2008 over Georgia.

you need to re-read then.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 14:00 - Mar 1 with 1165 viewsDarth_Koont

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 13:55 - Mar 1 by lowhouseblue

you need to re-read then.

Gmpf.

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 15:02 - Mar 1 with 1051 viewsitfcjoe

I think 2 is the key thing, Spartak Moscow fans not seeing their team in Europa League in a few weeks, Russia being booted out of it now after hosting last time are things that will surely effect morale

Money being next to worthless, flights/holidays being cancelled, businesses of ogliarchs being ground to a halt, massive inflation - hitting everyone in the population.

People are superficial and shallow - what difference to them does having a bigger land border make when it is hurting them now as Russia becomes a pariah from the rest of the world. As much as the ruling class can just carry on doing what they want at some point there will be full revolt. It just needs to be sooner rather than later - because the next few days are going to be extremely awful for the Ukrainians as Putin just loses his rag and fights a horrible war

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 15:50 - Mar 1 with 910 viewsDarth_Koont

Really interesting piece on Putin here with Fiona Hill.... on 15:02 - Mar 1 by itfcjoe

I think 2 is the key thing, Spartak Moscow fans not seeing their team in Europa League in a few weeks, Russia being booted out of it now after hosting last time are things that will surely effect morale

Money being next to worthless, flights/holidays being cancelled, businesses of ogliarchs being ground to a halt, massive inflation - hitting everyone in the population.

People are superficial and shallow - what difference to them does having a bigger land border make when it is hurting them now as Russia becomes a pariah from the rest of the world. As much as the ruling class can just carry on doing what they want at some point there will be full revolt. It just needs to be sooner rather than later - because the next few days are going to be extremely awful for the Ukrainians as Putin just loses his rag and fights a horrible war

In a fairly big ESG move, I see Gerard Schröder’s staff at Rosneft/Nord Stream have resigned in protest at his alleged collusion with Putin.

Ex-German Chancellor Schröder that is. Blair’s buddy and fellow “Third Way” sellout.

Let’s keep this going.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024