Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whats happening now is the result of recruiting 10:51 - Dec 16 with 1837 viewsCheltenham_Blue

too many 'Championship' players IMO.

We looked ok against sides that played 'Championship', free flowing, attack minded football, Wycombe, Portsmouth even Sunderland and Oxford, (but to a lesser degree), however the second we come up against blood and thunder typical L1 and L2 'sluggers' it all falls apart.

We can't find a way past two solid banks of four.

To use a Colin'ism' we can't cope with players who are prepared to die to get three points.

We can't cope with a high, fast and aggressive press.

All of this is standard in most teams at this level and the level below, and we don't have players, with the possible exception of Norwood, who can cope with it, or play to it.

We were all blown away by our recruitment in the summer, but we've recruited a Championship team, which is just like the one that was relegated a few years ago and they couldn't cope with this level either. Why we didn't sign quality L1 players? The fact we seemingly weren't even in for players like Jack Whatmough and Scott Twine absolutely baffled me at the time and still baffles me now.

Whether Ashton was responsible for the signings or if it was all Cook, I don't know, but we are going to have to shift some of these players out in January and replace them with lower budget L1 campaigners with a scattering of quality if we are going to have any chance at all of getting out of this league, and its going to have to be a coach that can do that.

We've been allowed to become utter dogsh^t by someone's vanity, and right now, I'm not sure who is responsible.

Reposted.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 10:55 - Dec 16 with 1788 viewsjayessess

That "high, fast and aggressive press" is going to be with us in any division we play in, it's a normal feature of professional football at every level of the game. If we'd actually recruited a team of Championship players, they'd have been perfectly comfortable playing through or over a League 2 team's version of it.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 10:58 - Dec 16 with 1756 viewsSteve_M

It's more the complete failure of Cook to mould those players into a coherent team. We're still less than the sum of some fairly expensive parts.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 10:59 - Dec 16 with 1720 viewstractorboy1978

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 10:58 - Dec 16 by Steve_M

It's more the complete failure of Cook to mould those players into a coherent team. We're still less than the sum of some fairly expensive parts.

Quite. It's pretty disturbing several seem to be reverting back into 'the players are sh!t' mode.
Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:00 - Dec 16 with 1713 viewsJakeITFC

Barrow outplayed us with the ball on the floor last night (in the first half anyway, I didn't watch the second).

We aren't a very good team in any aspect.
Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:03 - Dec 16 with 1678 viewsBseaBlue

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 10:58 - Dec 16 by Steve_M

Spot on. There are a couple of areas that need to be improved in January but we just need to be well drilled and organised in the mean time, with a purpose to our shape and play.

Supporters wont care how we win so long as we can grind out three or four on the bounce!
Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:05 - Dec 16 with 1665 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Can we afford to buy Barrow who looked like they can compete!

Seriously though

We need 3 defenders and 2 strong big energetic midfielders and possibly 1 other.
Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:09 - Dec 16 with 1649 viewsTooManyPauls

Largely agree, but disagree with the tag 'Championship'.

If I was being harsh I'd replace it with 'gutless'. But it's probably not that. Maybe 'similar'?

Put simply the squad lacks leadership, being streetwise. A bit of the dark arts. They can produce play that is good on the eye in patches, but that doesn't win football matches.

Because if a team doesn't have these qualities in L1 it will be destroyed a level above.
Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:15 - Dec 16 with 1568 viewsDMDC

We need some hardened pros at this level. Some real bruisers. You look at the likes of Fraser,a hard defender would break him in two. We have to many tippy tappy players. That football wont get you out of this league. You need a team of 6ft plus thugs basically.
Login to get fewer ads

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:21 - Dec 16 with 1512 viewsjayessess

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:15 - Dec 16 by DMDC

We need some hardened pros at this level. Some real bruisers. You look at the likes of Fraser,a hard defender would break him in two. We have to many tippy tappy players. That football wont get you out of this league. You need a team of 6ft plus thugs basically.

Scott Fraser has had 3 very good seasons in this division before joining us, so seems pretty implausible to me that he's too lightweight to contribute.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:28 - Dec 16 with 1462 viewsDMDC

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:21 - Dec 16 by jayessess

Scott Fraser has had 3 very good seasons in this division before joining us, so seems pretty implausible to me that he's too lightweight to contribute.

He had big guys around him, to look after him. We have a team of big girls blouses who dont get stuck in. He has been appalling for most of the season wherever he plays.
Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:48 - Dec 16 with 1378 viewsDubtractor

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:00 - Dec 16 by JakeITFC

Barrow outplayed us with the ball on the floor last night (in the first half anyway, I didn't watch the second).

We aren't a very good team in any aspect.

Yep last night wasn't about Barrow being big and nasty and in our faces.

They were much better than us at passing it, and just did the basics well when we had it.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 11:48]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:31 - Dec 16 with 1140 viewsBonneNIL

Championship players is a slight stretch looking at the stats. Only 4 of them have over 100 games at that level.

Penny 32 Championship games in 5 seasons...
Harper 44 in 5 seasons
Edmondson 10 in 11 seasons
Burns 21 in 16 seasons
Evans 120 in 15 seasons
Piggot 12 in 19 seasons
Fraser 0 in 10 seasons
Bonne 67 in 12 seasons
Chaplin 78 in 10 seasons
Aluko 191 over 16 seasons
Caroll 82 over 15 seasons
Burgess 4 over 13 seasons
Coulson 15 over 6 seasons
Walton 83 over 7 seasons
Edwards 32 over 5 seasons
Hladký 0 over 10 seasons
Celina 108 over 8 seasons
Morsy 146 over 15 seasons

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:37 - Dec 16 with 1085 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:31 - Dec 16 by BonneNIL

Championship players is a slight stretch looking at the stats. Only 4 of them have over 100 games at that level.

Harper 44 in 5 seasons
Burns 21 in 16 seasons
Evans 120 in 15 seasons
Piggot 12 in 19 seasons
Fraser 0 in 10 seasons
Bonne 67 in 12 seasons
Chaplin 78 in 10 seasons
Walton 83 over 7 seasons
Hladký 0 over 10 seasons

Interesting stats. I suspect that’s more than most teams in this division however!
Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:38 - Dec 16 with 1069 viewstractorboy1978

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:31 - Dec 16 by BonneNIL

Harper 44 in 5 seasons
Burns 21 in 16 seasons
Evans 120 in 15 seasons
Piggot 12 in 19 seasons
Fraser 0 in 10 seasons
Bonne 67 in 12 seasons
Chaplin 78 in 10 seasons
Walton 83 over 7 seasons
Hladký 0 over 10 seasons

Your seasons there are way out! Joe Pigott playing when he was 9?
Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:40 - Dec 16 with 1059 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:37 - Dec 16 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Interesting stats. I suspect that’s more than most teams in this division however!

Some very interesting stats.

Joe Pigott was playing in the Championship aged 9 according to them!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:40 - Dec 16 with 1055 viewsjeera

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:48 - Dec 16 by Dubtractor

Yep last night wasn't about Barrow being big and nasty and in our faces.

They were much better than us at passing it, and just did the basics well when we had it.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 11:48]

Like Jake I only saw the first half and fell asleep at half-time.

We just didn't look capable of pushing into their half, which was how were looking under you know who.

Just looked so negative.

And yes, Barrow just played their game and looked sharp coming forwards.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:40 - Dec 16 with 1054 viewsVic

I get your frustration, but in truth, pretty much every team that drops down from the Championship is in the same position. Most of them are able to cope after the initial shock has worn off.

The problem is, as others have said, Cookies inability to mold them into a team. It’s strange really as he’s been a good manager. But somehow here he failed with two different sets of players.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:42 - Dec 16 with 1039 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:40 - Dec 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Some very interesting stats.

Joe Pigott was playing in the Championship aged 9 according to them!

Interestingly he made 12 Championship appearances over 2 seasons but they were all 7-8 years ago. They could also have been sub appearances so minutes on the pitch may not have been so many. Makes little difference if he isn't playing for us anyway.

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:50 - Dec 16 with 1010 viewsHullblue

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:28 - Dec 16 by DMDC

He had big guys around him, to look after him. We have a team of big girls blouses who dont get stuck in. He has been appalling for most of the season wherever he plays.

No, he had a technical, well drilled team around him who actually passed to him and found him in space. MK topped the possession charts last year - they didn’t do that by ‘getting stuck in’.

Our problem last night wasn’t that we weren’t hard enough, it was that we weren’t good enough at football.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:58 - Dec 16 with 968 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:50 - Dec 16 by Hullblue

No, he had a technical, well drilled team around him who actually passed to him and found him in space. MK topped the possession charts last year - they didn’t do that by ‘getting stuck in’.

Our problem last night wasn’t that we weren’t hard enough, it was that we weren’t good enough at football.

We didn't play as a team at all and had no obvious game plan. Our attempt at possession was to pass the ball from midfield to defence and drop deeper and deeper as we did so. We were awful. They simply played as a team and tore us apart in that first half.

We switched it around a little second half. The change in formation and some idea of how to play the ball forwards other than a panicked hoof out of defence helped. For a player of his experience, Carroll was the one who stood out for me as being dreadful. Woolfenden looked good in his role when he was on.

We got rattled by not being given every foul going. We have to learn to play the officials far better than that. We will never get every decision.

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 15:47 - Dec 16 with 917 viewsDavoIPB

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 11:05 - Dec 16 by BtreeBlueBlood

Can we afford to buy Barrow who looked like they can compete!

Seriously though

We need 3 defenders and 2 strong big energetic midfielders and possibly 1 other.

Barrow are doing badly in their league!
Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 16:05 - Dec 16 with 859 viewsHullblue

Whats happening now is the result of recruiting on 14:58 - Dec 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

We didn't play as a team at all and had no obvious game plan. Our attempt at possession was to pass the ball from midfield to defence and drop deeper and deeper as we did so. We were awful. They simply played as a team and tore us apart in that first half.

We switched it around a little second half. The change in formation and some idea of how to play the ball forwards other than a panicked hoof out of defence helped. For a player of his experience, Carroll was the one who stood out for me as being dreadful. Woolfenden looked good in his role when he was on.

We got rattled by not being given every foul going. We have to learn to play the officials far better than that. We will never get every decision.

Thought the same about Carroll - it’s his job to get on the half turn and play forwards and he just didn’t seem brave enough did he? Was strange - I wonder if he just isn’t fit.

Agree that we didn’t play as a team either. This is understandable in one sense because we made so many changes but by now everyone should know their jobs imo. Strangers out there.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024