Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. 07:59 - Jul 9 with 1872 viewsMattinLondon

To my understanding, as long as the ‘other’ ball isn’t interfering with play then play doesn’t have to stop - what happened in the build up to England’s penalty.

But, a few years ago a beach ball interfered with play during a Sunderland match resulting in Darren Bent scoring - why was this allowed?

Sorry, if a stupid question.

Thanks.
Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 08:09 - Jul 9 with 1827 viewsPinewoodblue

I’m sure we all accept your apology.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 08:42 - Jul 9 with 1762 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 08:54 - Jul 9 with 1740 viewsPassionNotAnger

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 08:42 - Jul 9 by BryanPlug

He might not have access to the internet??
Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 08:56 - Jul 9 with 1736 viewsKeno

Altogether now ........

Two balls on the pitch
Laser pen still gleaming
Sterling hits the dirt
was he pushed or cheating

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:06 - Jul 9 with 1711 viewsMattinLondon

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 08:42 - Jul 9 by BryanPlug

Coming from the poster who asked this.

Why are so many teams not wearing their proper kits? by BryanPlug 6 Jul 2021 20:16
[content removed at the owner's request]

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:07 - Jul 9 with 1712 viewsPhilTWTD

Think that's right about the interfering thing and the second ball. The beachball incident was incorrectly dealt with by the referee at the time, the game should have been stopped.
Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:14 - Jul 9 with 1680 viewsSwansea_Blue

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 08:54 - Jul 9 by PassionNotAnger

He might not have access to the internet??

Little understated comments like this is what I’m here for.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:20 - Jul 9 with 1660 viewsSparky85

I thought this at the time! My understanding is that if there is another ball on the pitch the game has to be stopped. It even happened later in the game.

Obviously not bothered in the slightest now! But am surprised nothing more has come of that.

About time we had some luck anyways!!
Login to get fewer ads

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:21 - Jul 9 with 1657 viewsclive_baker

It quite clearly wasn't impacting either side, so rightly the game continued. The question I think is how multiple balls ended up on the pitch at the same time, on more than one occasion. Less haste more speed required from the ballboys I would say.

Personally I think there were a handful of contentious issues, namely the fouls the ref go uncarded which were almost entirely committed by Danes, the freekick which led to their goal was soft but there was definitely contact, the placement of their 'wall' on the freekick (was it 1m from ours, after it shuffled across?), the non penalty on Kane, penalty on Sterling, again soft but having rewatched it there's also definitely contact.

I don't realy get the 'cheating' rhetoric, other than the fact it's largely salty Scots, Welsh and Irish crying at home while England roll on to a Euros Final.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 10:38 - Jul 9 with 1556 viewsRyorry

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:21 - Jul 9 by clive_baker

It quite clearly wasn't impacting either side, so rightly the game continued. The question I think is how multiple balls ended up on the pitch at the same time, on more than one occasion. Less haste more speed required from the ballboys I would say.

Personally I think there were a handful of contentious issues, namely the fouls the ref go uncarded which were almost entirely committed by Danes, the freekick which led to their goal was soft but there was definitely contact, the placement of their 'wall' on the freekick (was it 1m from ours, after it shuffled across?), the non penalty on Kane, penalty on Sterling, again soft but having rewatched it there's also definitely contact.

I don't realy get the 'cheating' rhetoric, other than the fact it's largely salty Scots, Welsh and Irish crying at home while England roll on to a Euros Final.

I was told, rightly or wrongly, that the "second ball" was actually a balloon?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 10:42 - Jul 9 with 1549 viewstextbackup

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:20 - Jul 9 by Sparky85

I thought this at the time! My understanding is that if there is another ball on the pitch the game has to be stopped. It even happened later in the game.

Obviously not bothered in the slightest now! But am surprised nothing more has come of that.

denmarks freekick should have been ruled out also I believe, the Denmark players in the wall moved as the play ran up to take, gained a massive advantage, and this is illegal in the rule books.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 10:44 - Jul 9 with 1544 viewsbelgablue

The Sunderland goal from a few years ago was referred to specifically in the papers yesterday when discussing the second ball on the pitch in the England game. To summarise, the second ball in the lead up to the penalty wasn’t interfering as nobody paid any attention to it, therefore correct decision from the referee. For the Sunderland goal the ‘foreign object’ did interfere with play, therefore allowing the goal to stand was an incorrect decision from the referee.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 13:05 - Jul 9 with 1426 viewsVic

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 10:38 - Jul 9 by Ryorry

I was told, rightly or wrongly, that the "second ball" was actually a balloon?

I haven’t seen that said, but I thought it at the time. Looking at the photos it’s bigger than the ball, though further away, and it’s an odd shape.

Has it been said definitively it was a ball or is that what everyone has just accepted?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 13:07 - Jul 9 with 1420 viewsGavTWTD

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:20 - Jul 9 by Sparky85

Shirley there would be more balls on the pitch if the match had to be stopped. It'd be easy for a fan or other to throw a ball on if the opposition were about to score.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 13:45 - Jul 9 with 1366 viewsRyorry

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 13:07 - Jul 9 by GavTWTD

Shirley there would be more balls on the pitch if the match had to be stopped. It'd be easy for a fan or other to throw a ball on if the opposition were about to score.

You have a shockingly cunning mind Gav!

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 13:53 - Jul 9 with 1356 viewshoppy

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 13:45 - Jul 9 by Ryorry

You have a shockingly cunning mind Gav!

Why do you think he's in the final of the sweepstake?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 13:55 - Jul 9 with 1346 viewsRyorry

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 13:53 - Jul 9 by hoppy

Why do you think he's in the final of the sweepstake?

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 18:15 - Jul 9 with 1244 viewsbraveblue

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:21 - Jul 9 by clive_baker

Not seen any Scots complaining. Mostly others saying they think that is happening!!

Two balls make no difference. Only if interfering.

Penalty was a poor decision. No contact.

Yellow cards. Both sides could have had yellows in first 10 minutes. We want refs to resist too many yellows. I thought the ref did pretty well.

Worst thing was the laser on Danish keeper. That is nasty. Hope they catch them.
Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 18:34 - Jul 9 with 1225 viewsBryanPlug

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:06 - Jul 9 by MattinLondon

Coming from the poster who asked this.

Why are so many teams not wearing their proper kits? by BryanPlug 6 Jul 2021 20:16
[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 18:37 - Jul 9 with 1216 viewsMattinLondon

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 18:34 - Jul 9 by BryanPlug

Really
Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 14:24 - Jul 10 with 1090 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Question for referees - two balls on the pitch. on 09:07 - Jul 9 by PhilTWTD

Think that's right about the interfering thing and the second ball. The beachball incident was incorrectly dealt with by the referee at the time, the game should have been stopped.

I thought there was a change to the rule after the Bent incident. May be wrong, though.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024