Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We love our Academy, but has it been worth loving? 12:03 - Jun 28 with 716 viewswkj

I was in a conversation this morning about the various structures that clubs employ - using youth for profit, a revolving door transfer policy, grow your own (etc) and we concluded that ITFC really hasn't done any of this in a long time.

I have no doubt that Klug and the youth coaches work hard around the club, but it does feel that our youth setup has been a bit of a financial drain for a while.

Do you think this is due to the quality of player we have coming into the mix, poor development and transition management, or just that we've not been very lucky.

Granted, we have had some decent players come through, and have commanded a few decent offers - but we've not exactly had any that have been able to bankroll a season, or breakthrough to be the first name on the teamsheet types. Woolfenden I suppose, but he was has been far from stellar.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

We love our Academy, but has it been worth loving? on 12:07 - Jun 28 with 673 viewshype313

We all still think of Dyer, Bramble, Ambrose, Plug, Rhodes etc which was a fruitful few years, but you can't keep that up year on year which is why the class of 92 is so revered, how many other years have Utd brought out youngsters like those?

Also, I'm not overly sure we brought through that many from the years 84-99, obviously a few but none that commanded big fees, Dozzell Snr aside.

I suppose you always want to invest in the hope that a few gems get unearthed, but given the fact we are hamstrung now due to category status, you do wonder if it's all worth it, given any talent can be pinched before they hit 18.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

We love our Academy, but has it been worth loving? on 12:15 - Jun 28 with 601 viewswkj

We love our Academy, but has it been worth loving? on 12:07 - Jun 28 by hype313

We all still think of Dyer, Bramble, Ambrose, Plug, Rhodes etc which was a fruitful few years, but you can't keep that up year on year which is why the class of 92 is so revered, how many other years have Utd brought out youngsters like those?

Also, I'm not overly sure we brought through that many from the years 84-99, obviously a few but none that commanded big fees, Dozzell Snr aside.

I suppose you always want to invest in the hope that a few gems get unearthed, but given the fact we are hamstrung now due to category status, you do wonder if it's all worth it, given any talent can be pinched before they hit 18.

I supposed it wouldn't have seemed so bad if Evans had developed a sustainable transfer policy. I do think Jack Mariott leaving was a bad decision for us and for him, as he has ended up in the void that is Mel Morris' Dodgy Derby - not sure if his wages will be paid next season.

This isn't a Mick bashing post as such, though I do think he might have been a bit to sticky on giving youth a chance. Lambert soon had no choice but to thrust youth into the first team, so many of the lads had their confidence it bits when we were under pressure.

I do hope the new regime look hard at the academy and figure out pathways to senior football better than Evans did, even if it is for financial rewards over playing our own.

We love our Academy, but has it been worth loving? on 12:16 - Jun 28 with 581 viewsGuthrum

Bear in mind those who have been sold straight from the Academy (Harry Clarke, Charlie Brown). The fees won't have been enormous, but it all helps to break even.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We love our Academy, but has it been worth loving? on 12:19 - Jun 28 with 568 viewshype313

We love our Academy, but has it been worth loving? on 12:15 - Jun 28 by wkj

I supposed it wouldn't have seemed so bad if Evans had developed a sustainable transfer policy. I do think Jack Mariott leaving was a bad decision for us and for him, as he has ended up in the void that is Mel Morris' Dodgy Derby - not sure if his wages will be paid next season.

This isn't a Mick bashing post as such, though I do think he might have been a bit to sticky on giving youth a chance. Lambert soon had no choice but to thrust youth into the first team, so many of the lads had their confidence it bits when we were under pressure.

I do hope the new regime look hard at the academy and figure out pathways to senior football better than Evans did, even if it is for financial rewards over playing our own.

The problem with the lack of youth when Mick was here, was the fact that he was essentially told by Evans to just stay in the division, that was his remit, so of course he wasn't going to gamble on untested youngsters.

Lambert had more room for manoeuvre on that front, but we might aswell have had Mr Tumble in charge given the tactical nous of him.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

We love our Academy, but has it been worth loving? on 12:24 - Jun 28 with 536 viewswkj

We love our Academy, but has it been worth loving? on 12:19 - Jun 28 by hype313

The problem with the lack of youth when Mick was here, was the fact that he was essentially told by Evans to just stay in the division, that was his remit, so of course he wasn't going to gamble on untested youngsters.

Lambert had more room for manoeuvre on that front, but we might aswell have had Mr Tumble in charge given the tactical nous of him.

Also the hazardous nature of our Sports Science and fitness setup. Poor Doz has probably lost about half of his potential with his injury- god knows how much of Bishop's development went down the pan too.

Whilst some of the injuries are unavoidable regardless of the medical setup, I shudder to imagine how lacklustre the recovery period could have been for the lads.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024