Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Restarting amateur team sports 09:37 - Apr 26 with 804 viewsartsbossbeard

Forgetting the pro side of things and their ability to quarantine, continually test and protect players and staff, what's the twtd thoughts on the resumption of local football, rugby, hockey etc?

Word on the street is that Suffolk FA are going to allow teams to start their pre-season planning in June (whilst not making a decision on County Cup matters, I might add) with the caveat that social distancing matters are maintained and managed by the clubs themselves.

Thinking about it, I'm sure that I can put some pre-season training sessions on that will allow for the required distancing but how the hell do you manage any form of a match day experience - free kick walls, corners and general man-marking stuff?

Honestly, I personally think we're planning for a season that can't commence 'til the vaccine is with us - am I being overly cautious here or is the new norm?

Thoughts welcomed. Ta.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:39 - Apr 26 with 791 viewsitfcjoe

I guess it becomes mainly a fitness and team spirit exercise if it does start.

Whilst social distancing required, nothing can happen, so until there is some form of communication re that ending you are effectively just in this situation forever

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:41 - Apr 26 with 770 viewsartsbossbeard

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:39 - Apr 26 by itfcjoe

I guess it becomes mainly a fitness and team spirit exercise if it does start.

Whilst social distancing required, nothing can happen, so until there is some form of communication re that ending you are effectively just in this situation forever

Yep, and this is where it gets interesting money-wise too.

Our fees are circa £160 per season, which means that across our teams, we do run at a small profit - how on earth can I ask £160 for a weekly training session and some new kit?

Interesting times ahead.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:45 - Apr 26 with 756 viewsJakeITFC

I think we are probably going to be in a world soon where the strictest social distancing is just enforced for people at the highest risk of serious illness.

It seems unlikely that they’ll be able to get a vaccine that definitely works (considering they are hot sure that antibodies even make you immune right now), is tested, distributed and deployed to swathes of the population in any sort of timescale close to a year - with that in mind, can you really keep kids and young people locked away when they have a <0.5% chance of coming to any serious harm?

I think if the public are able to adhere to some of the public health measures (washing hands regularly, avoiding unnecessary contact and keeping distance where possible) the spread should still be much lower without the need for everybody to be fully isolated.
Restarting amateur team sports on 09:48 - Apr 26 with 728 viewsartsbossbeard

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:45 - Apr 26 by JakeITFC

I think we are probably going to be in a world soon where the strictest social distancing is just enforced for people at the highest risk of serious illness.

It seems unlikely that they’ll be able to get a vaccine that definitely works (considering they are hot sure that antibodies even make you immune right now), is tested, distributed and deployed to swathes of the population in any sort of timescale close to a year - with that in mind, can you really keep kids and young people locked away when they have a <0.5% chance of coming to any serious harm?

I think if the public are able to adhere to some of the public health measures (washing hands regularly, avoiding unnecessary contact and keeping distance where possible) the spread should still be much lower without the need for everybody to be fully isolated.

That's a fair assessment.

Interestingly then, I could well lose a few of my lads next season should their parents want to protect elderly relatives thus minimising interactions elsewhere.

New World Thinking.

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:48 - Apr 26 with 727 viewsitfcjoe

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:41 - Apr 26 by artsbossbeard

Our fees are circa £160 per season, which means that across our teams, we do run at a small profit - how on earth can I ask £160 for a weekly training session and some new kit?

Interesting times ahead.

It's like a lot of things at the moment, you are relying on the good will of people who are still in a position to be able to help out to do so for little reward.

That can't last forever though

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:51 - Apr 26 with 715 viewsartsbossbeard

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:48 - Apr 26 by itfcjoe

It's like a lot of things at the moment, you are relying on the good will of people who are still in a position to be able to help out to do so for little reward.

That can't last forever though

I'd actually put football completely out of mind and it's only the resumption of a club WhatsApp group that has got me thinking about things again.

The tone of the messaging in our group seems like it's business as usual once we get the go ahead from the Suffolk FA but I'm not 100% sure that I'm comfortable to re-commence things.

Restarting amateur team sports on 10:49 - Apr 26 with 624 viewsPlums

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:51 - Apr 26 by artsbossbeard

I'd actually put football completely out of mind and it's only the resumption of a club WhatsApp group that has got me thinking about things again.

The tone of the messaging in our group seems like it's business as usual once we get the go ahead from the Suffolk FA but I'm not 100% sure that I'm comfortable to re-commence things.

I’m chair of a relatively large junior club and at the moment our focus is on all the off pitch stuff we can get done. Sponsorship and funding for next season is a major part of our current thinking but even kit manufacturers are unable to plan or offer information on pricing so it’s very much guesswork at the moment.
Fortunately, after a couple of years where the new committee managed to get a tighter control of finances, we’re in a decent cash position but that can soon be whittled away. For those that are running on tight margins, it’s going to be very worrying.
I can’t see how we can effectively start any kind of club activity while keeping 2m apart. Even at a basic level, transporting players to training becomes a nightmare for parents you car share etc.
Small problems in the grand scheme of things but they matter at a local level.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Restarting amateur team sports on 11:00 - Apr 26 with 612 viewsartsbossbeard

Restarting amateur team sports on 10:49 - Apr 26 by Plums

I’m chair of a relatively large junior club and at the moment our focus is on all the off pitch stuff we can get done. Sponsorship and funding for next season is a major part of our current thinking but even kit manufacturers are unable to plan or offer information on pricing so it’s very much guesswork at the moment.
Fortunately, after a couple of years where the new committee managed to get a tighter control of finances, we’re in a decent cash position but that can soon be whittled away. For those that are running on tight margins, it’s going to be very worrying.
I can’t see how we can effectively start any kind of club activity while keeping 2m apart. Even at a basic level, transporting players to training becomes a nightmare for parents you car share etc.
Small problems in the grand scheme of things but they matter at a local level.

I'd not even thought of the transport side of things...some parents would need to step up here...

Login to get fewer ads

Restarting amateur team sports on 13:32 - Apr 26 with 543 viewsIllinoisblue

Restarting amateur team sports on 09:41 - Apr 26 by artsbossbeard

Interesting times ahead.

Our local ‘soccer’ clubs’s spring season (April thru June) is obviously on hold; they’re hoping for a condensed season - 8 games in 4 weeks - starting sometime in June. Which will be tough logistically as half my U10 team also plays baseball and others will likely be on holiday.

Re the money, The club sent out a letter to parents basically saying if the season doesn’t happen, and if everyone wants a refund the club will essentially have to fold. (I’m not sure about that... tournament fees are being refunded, we’re not paying refs, we’re not paying for fields)

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024