Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Expectancy levels 07:28 - Feb 16 with 2140 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Few comments I’ve seen along the lines of...

‘Should be beating mediocre teams like Burton anyway’
‘Yes but it was only Burton’

Comments like this are part of the issue with our fan base. The expectancy levels are ridiculous. Mid game abuse is pathetic as well - to the point I sometimes wish there was a part of the ground I could just sit, watch and enjoy without hearing external moaning from others if we go a goal down or haven’t started bright after 10minutes.

This was a great result against a good team and it was never going to be straight forward at all as their early goal proved. Lambert saying that was the best performance of his time here and I agree - we could have scored 8 but we were creating these chances too. Regardless of the opposition, whether it’s Rotherham or Bolton, a win is a win and we’re all in the same league, so ‘beating mediocre teams like Burton’ is not particularly fair on taking the credit away from our players as well as the quality of the opposition.

I don’t want to appear negative, I was very pleased with the performance and result, but little comments do frustrate because we’re in League 1 and that’s where we are as a football club - if anyone was good enough to walk this league, they’d be doing it.

Just to add, Wimbledon drew 2-2 away at Rotherham. No one saw that coming pre game and it just goes to show in this league that there will be ups and downs for everyone, Ipswich included. Big push remaining, be positive, long way to go yet which will probably see things go down to the final day.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Expectancy levels on 09:40 - Feb 16 with 1962 viewsChrisd

Completely agree. I also think it smacks of arrogance, 'We should be beating mediocre teams,' it's so disparaging. Hello, have they not seen which league we're playing in now? Those type of comments are based on the club's history, not in the current moment. That was a very decent performance based on how we've been playing of late and the number of chances we created was good to see, especially against a well organised and resolute side. Normally, it would've taken us about 6 games to create as many as that!

It's certainly a step in the right direction, next week against Oxford will be big test, but it should be a good, entertaining game to watch as they like to play football. Get a win there and that could be the fillip we need to get on a run and build the player's confidence and belief.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 9:41]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Expectancy levels on 09:45 - Feb 16 with 1946 viewstractorboy1978

The expectancy levels generally are not "ridiculous". We've been under performing pretty consistently over the past 20 games, sitting 16th in the form table over that sustained period of time. People have been (understandably) frustrated.

We played well yesterday, it was a strong performance. We need to carry that on for the remainder of the season and make it the norm rather than the exception.
Expectancy levels on 09:59 - Feb 16 with 1914 viewsjas0999

Certainly nothing wrong with expecting to beat Burton nor the expectation of achieving promotion this year. On the contrary if we don’t go up, it will be yet another failed season.

It’s worth remembering that the expectation has often been dictated by the football club and specifically Evans. It wasn’t so long ago that they sold ‘Operation Premiership’ in an attempt to sell season tickets. So for fans to have a certain level of expectation to win League one games isn’t unreasonable.

No disrespect to Rotherham, but the fact they failed to beat Wimbledon, shouldn’t alter the fact that fans were right to be disappointed in our performance and result against them.
Expectancy levels on 09:59 - Feb 16 with 1914 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I decided to end my occasional forays into SBR Lower with junior Slave due to the number of times I randomly ended up near bantz era, mobile phone wielding, misogynistic blads.

Edit....what does it mean when somebody down votes something that happened!
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 10:32]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Expectancy levels on 10:06 - Feb 16 with 1877 viewsstrikalite

There really imo isn't too much between a lot of the sides now, I mean players in general, most have come through good academies so decent on the ball and athletic and organized,this is why the league is so tight, Oxford for example are a match for anyone on their day, I watched them against P'Boro where they lost 4-0 but I'm telling you they matched Posh for a lot of that game and with a bit of luck at 0-0 it could have been very different..
Expectancy levels on 11:09 - Feb 16 with 1779 viewsBlueBadger

Expectancy levels on 09:59 - Feb 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

I decided to end my occasional forays into SBR Lower with junior Slave due to the number of times I randomly ended up near bantz era, mobile phone wielding, misogynistic blads.

Edit....what does it mean when somebody down votes something that happened!
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 10:32]

It means you have upset a fragile snowflake.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Expectancy levels on 11:11 - Feb 16 with 1773 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Expectancy levels on 09:45 - Feb 16 by tractorboy1978

The expectancy levels generally are not "ridiculous". We've been under performing pretty consistently over the past 20 games, sitting 16th in the form table over that sustained period of time. People have been (understandably) frustrated.

We played well yesterday, it was a strong performance. We need to carry that on for the remainder of the season and make it the norm rather than the exception.

I feel as though they are. It feels as though there’s an expectancy to win against every team in this league - the second we concede, draw or lose to someone, a ray of negativity sinks in. I know the whole 100 points, 100 goals was all tongue in cheek, but it’s an example of how some fans expected us to go about League 1.

The top 8 or 9 is very tight, but because of where we sit in a form table which means absolutely nothing, it’s becoming a big talking point instead of where we sit in the league - 5pts off top of the league.

Long way to go - that is our strongest line up for me (KVY if he’s fit comes in possibly) and this league table will chop and change every week from here until May.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Expectancy levels on 11:12 - Feb 16 with 1772 viewsBackToRussia

I'm not sure expecting to beat Burton is a problem. I'd consider that a good thing, and the issue of fans abusing players for Jack sh1t is as old as the hills, and a separate thing entirely.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Login to get fewer ads

Expectancy levels on 11:38 - Feb 16 with 1740 viewsLankHenners

There's a very strong argument that the club has let its expectancy levels drop too low which had held it back.

Respect the other teams, respect the league, but back yourselves a bit and have the confidence to say you're better than they are.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Expectancy levels on 11:44 - Feb 16 with 1724 viewsBlueBadger

Call me an over-entitled numbskull part-timer if you will, but I think that expecting to beat the side placed 12th in the third division isn't wholly unreasonable. Neither is it to expect to be doing better than we are, particularly given how we started the season.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 11:49]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Expectancy levels on 11:49 - Feb 16 with 1698 viewstractorboy1978

Expectancy levels on 11:11 - Feb 16 by IPSWICHFANITFC

I feel as though they are. It feels as though there’s an expectancy to win against every team in this league - the second we concede, draw or lose to someone, a ray of negativity sinks in. I know the whole 100 points, 100 goals was all tongue in cheek, but it’s an example of how some fans expected us to go about League 1.

The top 8 or 9 is very tight, but because of where we sit in a form table which means absolutely nothing, it’s becoming a big talking point instead of where we sit in the league - 5pts off top of the league.

Long way to go - that is our strongest line up for me (KVY if he’s fit comes in possibly) and this league table will chop and change every week from here until May.

Of course the form table means something (particularly when it's over such a sustained period of time). Would you rather be coming into the business end of the season off the back of plenty of wins and playing well (as the likes of Portsmouth, Sunderland and Rotherham are) or playing poorly and not getting results? We need to build some momentum now.

Generally, I don't think there is a expectancy to win every game but there is an expectancy that they play with the sort of intensity we did yesterday - far too commonly that has not been the case at Portman Road in particular.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 11:51]
Expectancy levels on 18:10 - Feb 16 with 1508 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Expectancy levels on 11:44 - Feb 16 by BlueBadger

Call me an over-entitled numbskull part-timer if you will, but I think that expecting to beat the side placed 12th in the third division isn't wholly unreasonable. Neither is it to expect to be doing better than we are, particularly given how we started the season.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 11:49]

If I’m honest, I feel you have summed my point up. I don’t disagree, I went into the game thinking on paper we should beat Burton being at home etc, but I didn’t expect what did happen.

The start of the season was very good, but almost impossible to sustain over the length of the season. That’s where the expectancy comes from - it’s not just the fans, the media too also hyped up how this squad of players is ‘the best in the division’ etc but on what basis?

5pts off top spot - is this not good enough?

Expectancy levels on 18:12 - Feb 16 with 1506 viewsPecker

I think most would have expected us to be pushing top 2.
Expectancy levels on 18:19 - Feb 16 with 1495 viewsTractorWood

Unlike Mr Lambert I don't expect us to be in the top two because we are a 'big club'. I expect us to be up there because we have one of the better squads and for the first time in decade, we are not swimming against the tide financially.

Not going up would be failure.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 18:19]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Expectancy levels on 20:49 - Feb 16 with 1409 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Expectancy levels on 18:19 - Feb 16 by TractorWood

Unlike Mr Lambert I don't expect us to be in the top two because we are a 'big club'. I expect us to be up there because we have one of the better squads and for the first time in decade, we are not swimming against the tide financially.

Not going up would be failure.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 18:19]

Not going up would be horrendous, but our squad is no better than Rotherham, Portsmouth, Coventry, Sunderland or Peterborough’s.

There’s a reason why the league is so tight and it’s anyone’s to grab.

Expectancy levels on 13:26 - Feb 17 with 1197 viewsitfc_bucks

Hold on - I think we have EVERY right to expect to dispatch teams like Burton, when at home.

Any way you dress it up, this squad is vastly more expensive, has vastly more experience and is playing at home.

We absolutely SHOULD be beating teams like Burton, and beating them comfortably.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024