Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Selkirk Gurkha 18:59 - Feb 8 with 4496 viewsLord_Lucan

Long been the best curry in Ipswich but has struggled due to location - and to be honest, the pub.

They are giving it a final shot and are delivering.

Save and support this brilliant place.

https://selkirkgurkha.co.uk/

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:05 - Feb 8 with 3843 viewsReuser_is_God

Then prices won’t exactly help them, £10 for a Korma etc is excessive.

Will try it though, the BBQ tandoori stuff sounds lovely.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:09 - Feb 8 with 3823 viewsLord_Lucan

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:05 - Feb 8 by Reuser_is_God

It's different class though Reuser

Gurkhas make the best chefs - owner is ex Gurkha as well, maybe still involved in some way I think.

Worth a go IMHO

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:12 - Feb 8 with 3779 viewsBackToRussia

Ordered the other day and service was very good.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:13 - Feb 8 with 3773 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Had a menu through the door over in IP3 so obviously on a push. Will be getting a ruby next week so will absolutely give it a go

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:13 - Feb 8 with 3773 viewsBLUEBEAT

I’ve got mad respect for Gurkhas

Will make a point of getting one next time I’m in town

Poll: W or W

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:26 - Feb 8 with 3717 viewsjeera

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:05 - Feb 8 by Reuser_is_God

Prices are a bit off-putting in places - 4 and a half quid for plain naan stands out a bit for example.

But the menu looks nice enough.

I guess it's just not one you'd buy your regular takeaway from but might visit if you're looking for a meal out and don't mind £70 for the evening for a couple of you with some wine etc.

If I were in the neighbourhood I would try it out of curiosity and if, as Lucan says, the chef knows his stuff then that's worth a bit extra.

The Indian where I live is horrendous. I don't know how they get away with it.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2020 19:27]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:31 - Feb 8 with 3690 viewsLord_Lucan

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:26 - Feb 8 by jeera

Prices are a bit off-putting in places - 4 and a half quid for plain naan stands out a bit for example.

I guess it's just not one you'd buy your regular takeaway from but might visit if you're looking for a meal out and don't mind £70 for the evening for a couple of you with some wine etc.

If I were in the neighbourhood I would try it out of curiosity and if, as Lucan says, the chef knows his stuff then that's worth a bit extra.

I'm waiting for a delivery now and will report back as it's a new expanded menu. It was cheaper when I used to eat there and the menu was on the back of a napkin.

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:36 - Feb 8 with 3650 viewsjeera

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:31 - Feb 8 by Lord_Lucan

I'm waiting for a delivery now and will report back as it's a new expanded menu. It was cheaper when I used to eat there and the menu was on the back of a napkin.

Great. I'll be wracked with jealousy and pissed off.

I want one now.

Not enough to risk my local one again yet.

Login to get fewer ads

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:42 - Feb 8 with 3606 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:26 - Feb 8 by jeera

Actually can probably handle a couple of extra quid on the curry price if it’s that good, but £3 for a poppadom - yikes!

Will still give it a bash though, barring a disastrous Lucan review!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:48 - Feb 8 with 3586 viewsjeera

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:42 - Feb 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Actually can probably handle a couple of extra quid on the curry price if it’s that good, but £3 for a poppadom - yikes!

I saw the poppadom price but would assume it's for a plate of them hence the condiments are bought separately.

Agree with you that it's not clear and they're doing themselves no favours by not making it so.

Selkirk Gurkha on 20:07 - Feb 8 with 3535 viewsDubtractor

Ate there a couple of years ago and it was very good, but the pub is unfortunately a pretty ropey setting for it.

Noticed that they have appeared on Just eat and also had a menu through the door from them over near Bishops Hill so they are having a push it would appear.

That said, just had a bloody delicious Jalfrezi Balti from my regular Indian Village.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Selkirk Gurkha on 20:16 - Feb 8 with 3481 viewsBackToRussia

Selkirk Gurkha on 20:07 - Feb 8 by Dubtractor

Ate there a couple of years ago and it was very good, but the pub is unfortunately a pretty ropey setting for it.

Noticed that they have appeared on Just eat and also had a menu through the door from them over near Bishops Hill so they are having a push it would appear.

That said, just had a bloody delicious Jalfrezi Balti from my regular Indian Village.

Indian Village is my go to. It is hit and miss tho I find. I used to always get the chargar which used to be amazing, but it's not as good any more. Then I saw the Chargar on another menu when I'd never seen it anywhere else before so wondered if they changed their main chef.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Selkirk Gurkha on 20:32 - Feb 8 with 3410 viewsDubtractor

Selkirk Gurkha on 20:16 - Feb 8 by BackToRussia

Indian Village is my go to. It is hit and miss tho I find. I used to always get the chargar which used to be amazing, but it's not as good any more. Then I saw the Chargar on another menu when I'd never seen it anywhere else before so wondered if they changed their main chef.

Chargar used to be my go to dish there, but then I had one that left me with a Japanese flag for about 3 days after and I've not dared risk it again.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Selkirk Gurkha on 20:32 - Feb 8 with 3408 viewsReuser_is_God

Selkirk Gurkha on 20:07 - Feb 8 by Dubtractor

Felixstowe Road?

I’m usually Bay of Bengal but that last few I’ve had haven’t been as good as usual.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Selkirk Gurkha on 20:41 - Feb 8 with 3365 viewsDubtractor

Selkirk Gurkha on 20:32 - Feb 8 by Reuser_is_God

Felixstowe Road?

I’m usually Bay of Bengal but that last few I’ve had haven’t been as good as usual.

Side road off Felixstowe Road.

I've not tried BoB, isn't that the place that Lucan Jr recommended to Lucan Snr for a joke but ended up being decent?

Selkirk Gurkha on 21:28 - Feb 8 with 3221 viewsLord_Lucan

Selkirk Gurkha on 19:42 - Feb 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Initial report - a little disappointed but there are mitigating circumstances so I'll do a detailed report tomorrow as I'm currently watching a program about how to get away with murder starring Michael Barrymore.

Selkirk Gurkha on 21:35 - Feb 8 with 3189 viewsjeera

Selkirk Gurkha on 21:28 - Feb 8 by Lord_Lucan

Initial report - a little disappointed but there are mitigating circumstances so I'll do a detailed report tomorrow as I'm currently watching a program about how to get away with murder starring Michael Barrymore.

What happened to the film on Netflix?

I've cooked Thai rice stick noodles with chicken and stuff.

Looks ok but yet to try it.

Selkirk Gurkha on 21:49 - Feb 8 with 3149 viewsLord_Lucan

Selkirk Gurkha on 21:35 - Feb 8 by jeera

What happened to the film on Netflix?

I've cooked Thai rice stick noodles with chicken and stuff.

Looks ok but yet to try it.

Just about to put it on. Didn't want to eat and watch film at the same time. I'm a bit weird like that.

Selkirk Gurkha on 21:50 - Feb 8 with 3141 viewsjeera

Selkirk Gurkha on 21:49 - Feb 8 by Lord_Lucan

Just about to put it on. Didn't want to eat and watch film at the same time. I'm a bit weird like that.

Fair enough. It's not easy to concentrate on both.

So, did he do it? Barrymore I mean.

Selkirk Gurkha on 22:27 - Feb 8 with 3076 viewsuppersirbob

Had a lads night in the pub a few years back food was amazing and price was fantastic think it was an all you can get for a set price do they still do that deal ?
Selkirk Gurkha on 22:39 - Feb 8 with 3029 viewsBackToRussia

Selkirk Gurkha on 21:28 - Feb 8 by Lord_Lucan

I didn't want to say but found my offering bland. Clearly "properly" cooked but no better than I could have whipped up tbh.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Selkirk Gurkha on 23:22 - Feb 8 with 2985 viewsgainsboroughblue

I'll give it a go.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Selkirk Gurkha on 10:45 - Feb 10 with 2687 viewsLord_Lucan

Mmmmm

I think I may have caught them at a bad time.

Just before I ordered my delivery RKD had been there that night for a sit down and said it was fantastic, he also said that the dining room was rather empty but they were doing loads and loads of deliveries and takeaways.

Menu; It is nothing like the original menu. From memory it used to be £10 for a full meal and that consisted of a mixture of small dishes - and it was all you needed. There wasn't really any choice and everything was fairly mild as the chef thought too much spice ruined the flavour - he is of course correct although I like banging hot spices because I'm a weirdo. The menu now is a full on menu and it is a bit on the dear side.

Food; The £12 mixed grill starter for two was ok but mixed grills don't travel very well and I had been in Birmingham the week prior where I had been eating the real stuff so it was disappointing. Lady Lucans veggie curry was not as good as she expected, my lamb chili curry was very tasty. The nan bread at over £4 was a ridiculous price and no bigger than a usual nan - some curry houses up north charge you this price but the nan is bigger than the table.

Delivery; It took nearly two hours and I live a 7 minute walk away, the also forgot my nan bread. Thankfully I spotted the error and rushed outside and flagged the driver down as he was driving away. To his credit he came back within 5 minutes with a nan and a free curry. Comically I was wearing a "Superdad" onsie and must have looked like Del Boy / Batman as I was running up Colchester Rd after him, this is 100% a true story.

I am very sorry to say that because I had high expectations I was a little disappointed but I think they have been so busy that they can't cope, maybe try a weekday?

I will try it again as they have outstanding reviews on Justeat - #1 listing

Selkirk Gurkha on 10:53 - Feb 10 with 2640 viewschicoazul

Selkirk Gurkha on 10:45 - Feb 10 by Lord_Lucan

Mmmmm

I think I may have caught them at a bad time.

Just before I ordered my delivery RKD had been there that night for a sit down and said it was fantastic, he also said that the dining room was rather empty but they were doing loads and loads of deliveries and takeaways.

Menu; It is nothing like the original menu. From memory it used to be £10 for a full meal and that consisted of a mixture of small dishes - and it was all you needed. There wasn't really any choice and everything was fairly mild as the chef thought too much spice ruined the flavour - he is of course correct although I like banging hot spices because I'm a weirdo. The menu now is a full on menu and it is a bit on the dear side.

Food; The £12 mixed grill starter for two was ok but mixed grills don't travel very well and I had been in Birmingham the week prior where I had been eating the real stuff so it was disappointing. Lady Lucans veggie curry was not as good as she expected, my lamb chili curry was very tasty. The nan bread at over £4 was a ridiculous price and no bigger than a usual nan - some curry houses up north charge you this price but the nan is bigger than the table.

Delivery; It took nearly two hours and I live a 7 minute walk away, the also forgot my nan bread. Thankfully I spotted the error and rushed outside and flagged the driver down as he was driving away. To his credit he came back within 5 minutes with a nan and a free curry. Comically I was wearing a "Superdad" onsie and must have looked like Del Boy / Batman as I was running up Colchester Rd after him, this is 100% a true story.

I am very sorry to say that because I had high expectations I was a little disappointed but I think they have been so busy that they can't cope, maybe try a weekday?

I will try it again as they have outstanding reviews on Justeat - #1 listing

Up voted purely for the Superdad onesie aspect.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Selkirk Gurkha on 11:04 - Feb 10 with 2614 viewshampstead_blue

A proper Gurkha curry is a thing of ring-stinging heaven.

Never had one in the field but have had plenty in Aldershot.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024