Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! 15:17 - Aug 19 with 6857 viewsunstableblue

BREXIT MADNESS!!!

Brexit: Freedom of movement 'will end' says the government
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49393556

All the businesses in London it seems to me rely on flexible, low skilled, short term migrant Europeans - whether in bars, restaurants, hotels, shops, cleaning services... how is the capital going to function?!

Then there are the farms requiring migrant workers, relied on them for decades.

Someone needs to get hold of this... this cabinet is full of right wing loons.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:21 - Aug 19 with 4268 viewsStokieBlue

It's utterly barmy, what happens on the 1st November, does everyone without a work permit not turn up? It will be chaos. It's not just low skilled jobs - what about doctors, nurses, scientists etc etc etc.

It's playing to their crowd though - it's exactly what a lot of people think/said they voted for.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:24 - Aug 19 with 4239 views26_Paz

What they've said is that anyone from EU member states who is currently here can stay but that post Brexit free movement will end. Sensible solution in my opinion.

The Paz Man

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:26 - Aug 19 with 4233 viewsStokieBlue

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:24 - Aug 19 by 26_Paz

What they've said is that anyone from EU member states who is currently here can stay but that post Brexit free movement will end. Sensible solution in my opinion.

"EU nationals who are already in the UK would be unaffected and can apply for settled status or pre-settled status in the same way as now."

Let's see how those applications go shall we? Until we know that you can't say it's sensible or that people will be allowed to stay.

SB

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:26 - Aug 19 with 4231 viewschicoazul

Surely the "right wing" thing to do would be to continue with FOM? A cheap mobile workforce happy to do the jobs many British people arent. This for me is the one great gamble of Brexit, the assumption that local people will pick up the slack.
But at the end of the day I fully expect FOM to continue, just in a different guise.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:28 - Aug 19 with 4220 views26_Paz

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:26 - Aug 19 by StokieBlue

"EU nationals who are already in the UK would be unaffected and can apply for settled status or pre-settled status in the same way as now."

Let's see how those applications go shall we? Until we know that you can't say it's sensible or that people will be allowed to stay.

SB

Sorry? The statement you've copied and pasted from the article says that people already here will be allowed to stay. That's exactly what is says.

The Paz Man

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:28 - Aug 19 with 4227 viewsitfcjoe

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:21 - Aug 19 by StokieBlue

It's utterly barmy, what happens on the 1st November, does everyone without a work permit not turn up? It will be chaos. It's not just low skilled jobs - what about doctors, nurses, scientists etc etc etc.

It's playing to their crowd though - it's exactly what a lot of people think/said they voted for.

SB

What about people who are on holiday when the date passes - will a nurse who has lived here for 3 years be able to return to carry on her job

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:29 - Aug 19 with 4220 viewsitfcjoe

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:26 - Aug 19 by chicoazul

Surely the "right wing" thing to do would be to continue with FOM? A cheap mobile workforce happy to do the jobs many British people arent. This for me is the one great gamble of Brexit, the assumption that local people will pick up the slack.
But at the end of the day I fully expect FOM to continue, just in a different guise.

FOM has to continue, the country will grind to a halt very quickly without it

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:30 - Aug 19 with 4207 viewsBlueBadger

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:24 - Aug 19 by 26_Paz

What happens to those who's settled status is unresolved for those who are out of the country working or on holiday come November? Does it apply to those who are bringing in goods? What about those coming here on holiday?

This is just pandering to the blue passports and no foreigners crowd who'd much rather indulge their xenophobia than actually see their country function.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:32 - Aug 19 with 4203 viewscaught-in-limbo

Reorder the following words to create two sentences, sit down and then have a cup of tea.

not it's going happen to.

such into stop getting flap a.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:33 - Aug 19 with 4191 views26_Paz

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:30 - Aug 19 by BlueBadger

What happens to those who's settled status is unresolved for those who are out of the country working or on holiday come November? Does it apply to those who are bringing in goods? What about those coming here on holiday?

This is just pandering to the blue passports and no foreigners crowd who'd much rather indulge their xenophobia than actually see their country function.

They're not going to stop people coming back from holiday and to suggest they are is the kind of scare mongering nonsense that stops people listening to all this.

The Paz Man

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:34 - Aug 19 with 4185 views26_Paz

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:28 - Aug 19 by itfcjoe

What about people who are on holiday when the date passes - will a nurse who has lived here for 3 years be able to return to carry on her job

Quick answer to that one. Yes. Next.

The Paz Man

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:34 - Aug 19 with 4192 viewshomer_123

So, we as a nation, surely need to ask ourselves some basic questions here.

Who's driving the need to rely on low skilled, short term cheap labour?

We, the consumer, forget pretty much everything else - we want cheap, cheap, cheap.

Exactly how are we helping anyone or anything by getting our cards washed at the local 'Hand car wash', for example?

We, as a nation, rely of people to come here and work and learn and that should be encouraged but for the right reasons. We need skilled doctors, nurses et al in our NHS for example. Yes, we do need other kinds of workers to fulfil other jobs as well but let me ask you an even more pertinent question.....if a business fails because it cannot afford to pay it's workers anything more than minimum wage (or below for cash in hand jobs etc.) then something is mightily wrong with either the business and the way it's run and/ or the wider consumer factor that is driving down price.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:40 - Aug 19 with 4161 viewsStokieBlue

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:28 - Aug 19 by 26_Paz

Sorry? The statement you've copied and pasted from the article says that people already here will be allowed to stay. That's exactly what is says.

Not really what it says though. It says they can apply to stay in the same way as now but we have no idea how that process will be affected.

It's a legitimate question to ask.

SB

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:41 - Aug 19 with 4156 viewstabletopjoe

The glaringly obvious question is, where are all the English people?

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:42 - Aug 19 with 4150 viewsBlueBadger

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:33 - Aug 19 by 26_Paz

They're not going to stop people coming back from holiday and to suggest they are is the kind of scare mongering nonsense that stops people listening to all this.

What happens to those who are offered jobs prior to November?
And what happens to the approximately 2 million British people living across the EU?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:42 - Aug 19 with 4138 viewsBlueBadger

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:32 - Aug 19 by caught-in-limbo

Reorder the following words to create two sentences, sit down and then have a cup of tea.

not it's going happen to.

such into stop getting flap a.

LOL at Paz upvoting you saying 'Brexit isn't going to happen'.

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:44 - Aug 19 with 4139 viewsitfcjoe

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:34 - Aug 19 by 26_Paz

Quick answer to that one. Yes. Next.

How do these people prove that they are returning from holiday when they get to the airport? It's one thing saying it - but think about how it is going to be applied by customs officials at the gate?

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:45 - Aug 19 with 4122 viewshomer_123

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:41 - Aug 19 by tabletopjoe

The glaringly obvious question is, where are all the English people?

Spain innit

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:52 - Aug 19 with 4088 views26_Paz

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:42 - Aug 19 by BlueBadger

LOL at Paz upvoting you saying 'Brexit isn't going to happen'.

I assumed he meant all the doomsday scenarios being bandied about are not going to happen, which they're obviously not.

The Paz Man

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:52 - Aug 19 with 4091 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:33 - Aug 19 by 26_Paz

In the same way that the workforce described in the OP continues to be required and the whole "stopping freedom of movement" is just a soundbite to placate those on the right of their party and will never actually happen. They could already have limited it far more whilst remaining in the EU had they so desired.

Unfortunately, the soundbites alienate EU (and other foreign) nationals and make racists feel entitled to be more open and oppressive. There is evidence that this is already causing a decline in the required foreign nationals to provide the workforce we require.

Of course, all our dole spongers will suddenly step up to the plate, prove their desire to do minimum wage seasonal fruit picking and the aptitude for skilled low-paid care and nursing work.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:56 - Aug 19 with 4074 viewsBlueBadger

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:52 - Aug 19 by 26_Paz

I assumed he meant all the doomsday scenarios being bandied about are not going to happen, which they're obviously not.

Are you trying to suggest that things documented in the government's own Project Yellowhammer are just 'Project Fear'?

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 16:11 - Aug 19 with 4017 viewsPendejo

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:30 - Aug 19 by BlueBadger

Refuse entry, seize all their assets and re-distribute the wealth amongst the old etonians

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 16:15 - Aug 19 with 4002 views26_Paz

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:56 - Aug 19 by BlueBadger

Are you trying to suggest that things documented in the government's own Project Yellowhammer are just 'Project Fear'?

Yes, that was from the previous defeatist remoaner government.

The Paz Man

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 16:17 - Aug 19 with 3989 viewsfooters

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 15:52 - Aug 19 by 26_Paz

*post bookmarked*

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 16:22 - Aug 19 with 3973 viewsStokieBlue

Working in London and living rurally - I simply do not know how this can work?! on 16:15 - Aug 19 by 26_Paz

Yes, that was from the previous defeatist remoaner government.

A well structured and formidable argument.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024