Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... 10:52 - Sep 23 with 3947 viewsSitfcB

Bernardo Silva being investigated by the FA for a ‘racist’ tweet.

It’s no different to when someone compares a blonde white male to the Milky Bar kid surely??

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:04 - Sep 23 with 2893 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I understand why people would feel that it is the same as the Milky Bar Kid. Silva clearly isn't a racist and didn't do it to offend anyone.

However, it is a fairly insensitive and silly thing to put out to millions of followers. I do find it baffling that he decided to tweet it at all. Obviously people were going to get offended.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:10 - Sep 23 with 2857 viewsBlueBadger

The milky bar kid doesn't have the same unfortunate history and connotations associated with him as that rather crude caricature does though, almost as if there's more to this than the rather simplified analogy you're presenting here.

I don't think that Silva's racist but he has been rather daft and somewhat naive in thinking that a cack-handed cartoon like that WOULDN'T cause offence.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 11:14]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:21 - Sep 23 with 2813 viewsHullblue

It’s very different Sitters. White blonde blokes haven’t been routinely dehumanised and caricatured for the last 400 years.

Obviously they’re friends and I doubt Mendy was offended by it, but it’s the wider significance that’s important. It’s the kind of thing that gives racists permission to carry on being racist.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:23 - Sep 23 with 2799 viewsBlueBadger

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:21 - Sep 23 by Hullblue

It’s very different Sitters. White blonde blokes haven’t been routinely dehumanised and caricatured for the last 400 years.

Obviously they’re friends and I doubt Mendy was offended by it, but it’s the wider significance that’s important. It’s the kind of thing that gives racists permission to carry on being racist.

See also: prominent world leaders being openly racist and incidence of racially aggravated crimes increasing.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:24 - Sep 23 with 2789 viewsJ2BLUE

It's about Mendy? What am I missing?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:28 - Sep 23 with 2765 viewsBarneycurley

"Its the kind of thing" no it's not - it's a jokey tweet. No harm or denigration was meant and if it wasn't raised through the media then it would have drifted off into the abyss. But the very people who are trying to bring racism to cease bring it to the fore.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:30 - Sep 23 with 2754 viewsGarv

Saying a black person looks like another black person gives people permission to discriminate against a black person because they’re black?

No it doesn’t.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:32 - Sep 23 with 2722 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:28 - Sep 23 by Barneycurley

"Its the kind of thing" no it's not - it's a jokey tweet. No harm or denigration was meant and if it wasn't raised through the media then it would have drifted off into the abyss. But the very people who are trying to bring racism to cease bring it to the fore.

Jokey or not, it is incredibly insensitive. It didn't need the media to highlight it as offensive, the media only picked it up because people WERE getting offended by it.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Login to get fewer ads

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:41 - Sep 23 with 2678 viewsWD19

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:30 - Sep 23 by Garv

Saying a black person looks like another black person gives people permission to discriminate against a black person because they’re black?

No it doesn’t.

Matt Richards?

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:44 - Sep 23 with 2675 viewsBlueBoots

That's a character that appears on packets of chocolate-covered peanuts in Spain - some might say (myself included) that it's a pretty offensive caricature of a black person.

So in answer to your question, it's no different to if someone has posted a picture of a black person next to the old Robertson's jam golly...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:46 - Sep 23 with 2657 viewsBarneycurley

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:44 - Sep 23 by BlueBoots

That's a character that appears on packets of chocolate-covered peanuts in Spain - some might say (myself included) that it's a pretty offensive caricature of a black person.

So in answer to your question, it's no different to if someone has posted a picture of a black person next to the old Robertson's jam golly...

Surprised it hasnt been removed in Spain hey? Wonder why not I mean all that offence it causes.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:47 - Sep 23 with 2641 viewsHullblue

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:24 - Sep 23 by J2BLUE

It's about Mendy? What am I missing?

I think that’s the point - for Silva it is about Mendy. For many black people, images like that carry wider significance. I don’t think it’s asking too much of him to think about that before he tweets it out to millions of people.

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:48 - Sep 23 with 2634 viewsBarneycurley

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:32 - Sep 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

Jokey or not, it is incredibly insensitive. It didn't need the media to highlight it as offensive, the media only picked it up because people WERE getting offended by it.

Where were they? How many people were actually offended? A handful?

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:50 - Sep 23 with 2618 viewsSwailsey

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:48 - Sep 23 by Barneycurley

*edit, not fair and was being hyperbolic for the sake of it, apologies*

just take your weird little views elsewhere.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 12:03]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:50 - Sep 23 with 2609 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:48 - Sep 23 by Barneycurley

Well the tweet has been deleted now. It had thousands of retweets and stirred up a lot of interest and controversy.

You don't seriously think people ignored this and the media are the reason people are offended.

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:51 - Sep 23 with 2608 viewsHullblue

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:30 - Sep 23 by Garv

No it doesn’t.

He’s not saying he looks like another person though is he - he’s saying he looks like a cartoon drawing that resembles a golliwog.

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:53 - Sep 23 with 2592 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:50 - Sep 23 by Swailsey

This guy got a bit of a rep then??

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:59 - Sep 23 with 2533 viewsBarneycurley

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:50 - Sep 23 by Swailsey

Would it help you if I was to tell you I am none of those? My Niece is Bengali through my late sisters marriage to my brother in law who is from Sylet.

So take your pathetic prejudices and use them elsewhere. I am able to be both sensitive to causes and also to be able to not take life too seriously - they are not mutually exclusive.

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 12:00 - Sep 23 with 2530 viewsSwailsey

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:53 - Sep 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

This guy got a bit of a rep then??

Not really and that was probably a bit unfair, I'll edit it.

They just pop up on any contentious thread that this and tell people that the world's gone mad.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 12:00 - Sep 23 with 2525 viewsSwailsey

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:59 - Sep 23 by Barneycurley

Would it help you if I was to tell you I am none of those? My Niece is Bengali through my late sisters marriage to my brother in law who is from Sylet.

So take your pathetic prejudices and use them elsewhere. I am able to be both sensitive to causes and also to be able to not take life too seriously - they are not mutually exclusive.

Ok champ.

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 12:02 - Sep 23 with 2517 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:59 - Sep 23 by Barneycurley

Do seem like a very angry person though

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 12:06 - Sep 23 with 2494 viewsBarneycurley

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 12:02 - Sep 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

Do seem like a very angry person though

Read up matey. I am anything but

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 12:09 - Sep 23 with 2474 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 12:06 - Sep 23 by Barneycurley

Read up matey. I am anything but

Which bit am I meant to be reading?

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 12:21 - Sep 23 with 2434 viewsHullblue

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 12:00 - Sep 23 by Swailsey

Not really and that was probably a bit unfair, I'll edit it.

They just pop up on any contentious thread that this and tell people that the world's gone mad.

Fair play to you for editing it. I think this is why people are always so divided on this kind of issue. After a little while it always descends into personal stuff and that just makes peoples’ views more entrenched.

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 12:38 - Sep 23 with 2372 viewsGarv

Today’s ‘world has gone mad’ story... on 11:51 - Sep 23 by Hullblue

He’s not saying he looks like another person though is he - he’s saying he looks like a cartoon drawing that resembles a golliwog.

Does it? It appears to be a character from a chocolate brand.

That’s the first I’ve seen it compared to a golliwog.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024