Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? 21:51 - Jul 29 with 5552 viewsMullet

Obviously you had extremes in his two predecessors, we are still being kept afloat by the previous genius of Mick in the transfer market, whilst also losing money hand over fist thanks to Paul Hurst thinking he was playing Supermarket Sweep in the lower reaches of the pyramid.

However, the fraught way some are trying to rationalise what looks like a mix of convenience shopping and signs we haven’t righted the imbalance of last season just yet, is bizarre to see. I’ve got no issue with any player we’ve signed individually, but the way we’ve loaned out BB and replaced him suggests short-termism. Or are we just so weakened by circumstance we’ve no choice?

Are we expecting Wolves to settle for Norris being a no.2? Are we saddled with Bart’s wages if the deal doesn’t work for Millwall after they cocked us about with that medical nonsense?

Elliott is obviously a bitter pill for the purists to swallow, but we need someone who can battering ram his way through teams, I’m just amazed no calls for Keane really came from them. He is far away the most talented player we have seen in the last 12 months, with time to really get his career going.

Judge was a rat and a snake until QPR came up short, now he’s back to stat-free messiah it seems. I get Lambert isn’t as skilled in the talk until the press have enough to go home happy, so analysing every time he is made to look a liar or a fool by months old quotes is pointless, but does it all suggest that he is getting more of what Hurst got with Walters and Chalobah last season?

O’Neil and Evans seem to be directing recruitment more and more given how the moves come about, but is there any foundation in that assumption? I can’t fathom Lambert having McCarthy levels of control, or the means to go on a Hurst lite rampage with the fax machine and cheque book.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 21:52 - Jul 29 with 2517 viewsIllinoisblue

a deserved uppie for "stat-free messiah".

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 21:54 - Jul 29 with 2501 viewsBLUEBEAT

Why hasn’t any other team come in for Will Keane?

Is he still injured?

3 goals in 11 for us

Not bad in such a poor struggling side

Poll: W or W

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 21:57 - Jul 29 with 2476 viewsMullet

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 21:54 - Jul 29 by BLUEBEAT

Is he still injured?

3 goals in 11 for us

No idea what offers he’s had I guess. But if we wanted him, you’d think he’d be keen to come here given his relative success and chance to for a fresh start. I really hope he’s not going to be another McGoldrick, albeit on a smaller scale.

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 21:57 - Jul 29 with 2472 viewsJ2BLUE

I think it seems fairly clear that Evans is doing what Evans always does and is trying to cut costs as much as possible. We could have lost up to £15m, I get it, and I understand using some money to offset some of that but I question if we should be looking at trialist CBs who seem last resorts. Evans seems determined to save the maximum money even if it stops us going up. Long term, can anyone see anything other than a slide to league one mid table? We might win the league but then the lack of investment will strike again and we'll struggle.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2019 22:19]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:05 - Jul 29 with 2433 viewsITFCBlues

I think the Bart situation really is the only solution for us removing him from the wage bill. I think it's possible that's what's held us back somewhat in the transfer market? I'm interested to see how the Norris situation plays out. As you say, he's surely not coming here as a number 2? Unless Holy has been signed as a number 2?

Im not sure our business can be described as convenience shopping. I agree there is certainly still an imbalance to the squad and a need for 3 or so more players to join, however. I must admit, I'm slightly concerned with how we're placed at present. We look light in areas of the squad still, clearly at CB. It's the same old story every summer though. PL said all the right things about getting players in early at the end of last season but we appear to be completely incapable of doing that for whatever reason. It's nothing new though!

You've mentioned Keane as well. He's still without a club. I'm interested to know what's happened there. You'd assume he either doesn't want to drop to this level or he's proving too expensive. It's just gone silent - he's not even been mentioned this summer! Shame really as think it'd be a good move all round.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:09 - Jul 29 with 2409 viewsITFCBlues

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 21:57 - Jul 29 by J2BLUE

I think it seems fairly clear that Evans is doing what Evans always does and is trying to cut costs as much as possible. We could have lost up to £15m, I get it, and I understand using some money to offset some of that but I question if we should be looking at trialist CBs who seem last resorts. Evans seems determined to save the maximum money even if it stops us going up. Long term, can anyone see anything other than a slide to league one mid table? We might win the league but then the lack of investment will strike again and we'll struggle.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2019 22:19]

I think it's the mings and Clarke money. Why has that been offset against losses? That couldn't have been factored into any forecasts and is bonus money. Why not invest that in the squad?!

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:10 - Jul 29 with 2402 viewspointofblue

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:05 - Jul 29 by ITFCBlues

I think the Bart situation really is the only solution for us removing him from the wage bill. I think it's possible that's what's held us back somewhat in the transfer market? I'm interested to see how the Norris situation plays out. As you say, he's surely not coming here as a number 2? Unless Holy has been signed as a number 2?

Im not sure our business can be described as convenience shopping. I agree there is certainly still an imbalance to the squad and a need for 3 or so more players to join, however. I must admit, I'm slightly concerned with how we're placed at present. We look light in areas of the squad still, clearly at CB. It's the same old story every summer though. PL said all the right things about getting players in early at the end of last season but we appear to be completely incapable of doing that for whatever reason. It's nothing new though!

You've mentioned Keane as well. He's still without a club. I'm interested to know what's happened there. You'd assume he either doesn't want to drop to this level or he's proving too expensive. It's just gone silent - he's not even been mentioned this summer! Shame really as think it'd be a good move all round.

The third option with Keane is his injury record is so abysmal no team wants to take a risk with him.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:10 - Jul 29 with 2393 viewsJ2BLUE

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:09 - Jul 29 by ITFCBlues

I think it's the mings and Clarke money. Why has that been offset against losses? That couldn't have been factored into any forecasts and is bonus money. Why not invest that in the squad?!

I can understand using some of it to offset losses. We got in about £3m didn't we? Using £1m to ensure we have a very strong squad seems a good investment. Instead we're trialing released Lincoln players.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:12 - Jul 29 with 2384 viewshaynes_toe1

Most of the top teams in this league now have these things called transfer budgets for buying players. We ain't that lucky under ME

May be a blessing in disguise as our core squad should be plenty good enough to challenge top 2 and I wouldnt trust Lambert with 20 quid let alone 2 mill.
Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:12 - Jul 29 with 2377 viewsKeaneish

Rather desperate this. Are you going to be like this all season?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:14 - Jul 29 with 2362 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:10 - Jul 29 by pointofblue

The third option with Keane is his injury record is so abysmal no team wants to take a risk with him.

and in a team containing the "stat-free Messiah" 3 goals in 11 isn't enough to turn their heads.

With Norris, I would expect they are happier for him to warm our bench and possibly play than be 3rd or 4th choice for them. I doubt any team gives any assurances over appearances with a loan. That said, I wonder if Holy was signed as a Gerken replacement and Lambert sees Norris as number one for this season. It seems clear Holy was going to play from pre-season but then Lambert probably knew Bart was on his way out.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:16 - Jul 29 with 2351 viewsMullet

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:05 - Jul 29 by ITFCBlues

It was always obvious we’d need to get shot of BB for this season, so maybe Millwall just decided to screw us as best they could. I dunno, Holy wasn’t spoken of well in the D3D4 podcast, they suggest Gills had upgraded on him. Norwood really is far too old to be considered a Jamie Vardy love story, so it’s possible we hope for one good season and sell him on having set him up for life.

Garbutt is the modern phenomenon of a young starlet-turned journeyman you’ve barely heard of. No one at the 72 clubs he’s had seems in agreement as to what he is or what he’s good at.

Maybe this is all just realisation of the puddle we’re fishing in for everybody, but the team building if there is any seems to be from the academy, and we were worried that Andre was off whilst Nydam now joins Teddy with a long spell on the sidelines reassembling his leg.

It’s hard to see a coherent strategy here, and not all of it is circumstance.

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:22 - Jul 29 with 2277 viewsElderGrizzly

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 21:54 - Jul 29 by BLUEBEAT

Is he still injured?

3 goals in 11 for us

Probably his injury record, expected wage level and the fact he has scored 8 goals in his entire career.

That is 8 years at an average of 1 goal a season.
Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:25 - Jul 29 with 2258 viewsITFCBlues

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:16 - Jul 29 by Mullet

It was always obvious we’d need to get shot of BB for this season, so maybe Millwall just decided to screw us as best they could. I dunno, Holy wasn’t spoken of well in the D3D4 podcast, they suggest Gills had upgraded on him. Norwood really is far too old to be considered a Jamie Vardy love story, so it’s possible we hope for one good season and sell him on having set him up for life.

Garbutt is the modern phenomenon of a young starlet-turned journeyman you’ve barely heard of. No one at the 72 clubs he’s had seems in agreement as to what he is or what he’s good at.

Maybe this is all just realisation of the puddle we’re fishing in for everybody, but the team building if there is any seems to be from the academy, and we were worried that Andre was off whilst Nydam now joins Teddy with a long spell on the sidelines reassembling his leg.

Wow. Whilst I think we still need to do business, I really don't think things are that bad. I guess we shall see!

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:41 - Jul 29 with 2196 viewsCoastalblue

Whilst I liked Keane and enjoyed his performances last season I'm also hoping we've finally learnt a lesson and we won't be offering him our physio couch for the next three years.

I'd much rather we signed a couple of reasonable players than someone perceived as high quality and injury prone who's going to end up watching his freebie understudy most weeks anyway.

We need CB's, at least one, I give you that, aside from that if Elliot comes in I think we've had an OK window on the face of it. I might be horribly wrong, but we should have enough about us to be toward the top end.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 23:55 - Jul 29 with 2087 viewsOsborneOneNil

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:25 - Jul 29 by ITFCBlues

Wow. Whilst I think we still need to do business, I really don't think things are that bad. I guess we shall see!

He’s superb at being depressing.
Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 06:51 - Jul 30 with 1897 viewsKeaneish

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 23:55 - Jul 29 by OsborneOneNil

He’s superb at being depressing.

It’s more than that, he writes about “them” when referring to Town fans as if he’s somehow removed from the mass because of his opinion. Isn’t this the division amongst fans PL seems to have bridged? He’s also the only person still referencing MM and to label him a genius is perverse.

There also seems to be a growing animosity toward Judge which started last season as if he’s waiting for him to fail so he can take some vitriolic stance against Town fans who are rightly excited about the prospect of him this season. I expect a “i told you so post”, is likely already drafted. For the record, Keane isn’t a better player than Judge and certainly much more of a gamble.

Sorry Mullet, not interested in reading sulky dated posts about MM any more. You’re on a block from me this season.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 07:18 - Jul 30 with 1812 viewsKieran_Knows

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 22:16 - Jul 29 by Mullet

A massive well done to Marcus Evans and his strategy, yet again.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 07:20 - Jul 30 with 1808 viewschristiand

Regarding PL with transfers, I'm assuming he outlines who he wants and then leaves it to ME and LO'N to get the deal over the line. It's not a surprise that PL doesn't get his primary targets and has to settle for second best? Look at the joke of the situation for Tilt last summer? Yes, you could argue that Blackpool were playing games, but if we really wanted him pay the extra, we were never talking about additional millions on top of the original fee, but we just seemed to be quibbling over a few extra £££! How many of January's additions were PL's number 1 targets, AJ perhaps? Not sure any of the others were.

Regarding Keane, I think it's solely down to money. No doubt Hull City paid a percentage of his wages while he was on loan with us last season. Just don't think we can afford him and that's why we're doing the usual ME transfer policy where he shops at Poundland for bargain basement players. Not really a surprise where we ply our trade now as club? It's the era of austerity under ME's supervision, but it will only get you so far in the football world, perhaps now we've found our level?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2019 7:26]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 07:28 - Jul 30 with 1785 viewsSteve_M

It's more Evans trying to do everything on the cheap isn't it?

The Summer of 2013 was the only time Mick brought in substantial reinforcements - McGoldrick, Murphy, Berra, Skuse - the rest of the time it was the odd good signing one window at a time - Bart, Sears, Webster, Garner & Waghorn - the last two of which were after a year without replacing Murphy. The rest was made up with a combination of loanees and cheap options.

We could bring in good Championship players on free transfers in 2013 but we couldn't do more than the odd signing after that; the market changed and Evans refused to adapt. Mick ended up patching things up and pulling together a side rather than building one as he had been allowed to do initially.

I think this Summer's transfer business is dictated too by the mess we made last Summer. Not selling Bart when his value was at his highest meant we took any other offer than came in - we sold Webster far too cheaply and Waghorn far too readily - and got stuck with a player on high wages that in turn limits who else we can bring in.

Norwood fits the one good signing per window model of the latter McCarthy years, he looks on the evidence so far that he will fill a very obvious gap but the rest of it is, as you say, half-arsed. Lambert's evident frustration comes across in the same way that McCarthy's did. It more fits the impression that Evans makes all the decisions but isn't at the club often enough to make them.

And also, over-analysing things football managers say is no less tedious when it's applied to Lambert than it was to Mick.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 07:56 - Jul 30 with 1689 viewsartsbossbeard

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 07:28 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

The Summer of 2013 was the only time Mick brought in substantial reinforcements - McGoldrick, Murphy, Berra, Skuse - the rest of the time it was the odd good signing one window at a time - Bart, Sears, Webster, Garner & Waghorn - the last two of which were after a year without replacing Murphy. The rest was made up with a combination of loanees and cheap options.

We could bring in good Championship players on free transfers in 2013 but we couldn't do more than the odd signing after that; the market changed and Evans refused to adapt. Mick ended up patching things up and pulling together a side rather than building one as he had been allowed to do initially.

I think this Summer's transfer business is dictated too by the mess we made last Summer. Not selling Bart when his value was at his highest meant we took any other offer than came in - we sold Webster far too cheaply and Waghorn far too readily - and got stuck with a player on high wages that in turn limits who else we can bring in.

Norwood fits the one good signing per window model of the latter McCarthy years, he looks on the evidence so far that he will fill a very obvious gap but the rest of it is, as you say, half-arsed. Lambert's evident frustration comes across in the same way that McCarthy's did. It more fits the impression that Evans makes all the decisions but isn't at the club often enough to make them.

And also, over-analysing things football managers say is no less tedious when it's applied to Lambert than it was to Mick.

I dont think that we can underestimate the damage done by Hurst last summer and I don't think we can also underestimate the control that ME gave PH either. Forgetting the arguments around ME's continued investment, his biggest error to date is giving the poison dwarf the freedom to create carnage, which we're just seeing dust settle on now.

Bart was a butt for a lot of snidey (confidence sapping?) treatment by PH & Deputy and Waghorn epitomised the term "want-away-striker".

I don't blame ME for wanting to authorise the ITFC purchase orders now and I don't blame him for bringing in what appears to be a sanity check on things. I do blame him for not having this step in sooner. Or a Footballing Director.

Looks like we've now got the turning circle of an oil tanker when it comes to getting deals done but if we can avoid the sh1tshow of last season, it's got to be a better solution. Surely?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 07:58 - Jul 30 with 1668 viewsBluefish

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 07:28 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

Lambert spent a fortune in January and the return was non existent. I would keep a tighter control on him after seeing those efforts

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 08:05 - Jul 30 with 1642 viewsartsbossbeard

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 07:58 - Jul 30 by Bluefish

Lambert spent a fortune in January and the return was non existent. I would keep a tighter control on him after seeing those efforts

Think that's a little unfair. We were shopping in the Last Chance Saloon with the short term ambition of beating the drop.

We are where we are now and from what I've seen in pre season, we're going to have a lot of possession coupled with a proper target man*. Plus Huws is almost like a new signing*

*staying injury free

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 08:05 - Jul 30 with 1633 viewschristiand

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 07:58 - Jul 30 by Bluefish

Do you genuinely think all those signings in January were players PL really wanted? I don't!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 08:17 - Jul 30 with 1577 viewsBluefish

Is it fairly certain Lambert has less control over transfers? on 08:05 - Jul 30 by christiand

Do you genuinely think all those signings in January were players PL really wanted? I don't!

Quaner was a hell of a lot of money for someone that he didn't really want. No idea why we brought in a 3rd left back who wasn't any better than the 2 we had.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024