Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Hughton sacked 09:39 - May 13 with 8034 viewswellhungphil

Seems a tad harsh on the guy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48251716
Chris Hughton sacked on 09:42 - May 13 with 4432 viewsSteve_M

Third lowest budget apparently:

I remember when the Budgies thought he wasn't good enough for them too.....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:42 - May 13 with 4423 viewsiamipswich

Poor guy always seems to be on the receiving end of harsh sackings.

Poll: Who will return first?

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:42 - May 13 with 4420 viewsfloridaboy

Football is getting ridiculous now. He should be praised for keeping them up!

Another club who think they have a divine right to be in the top flight!
Chris Hughton sacked on 09:43 - May 13 with 4421 viewsvilanovablue

Living and working on the south coast I know plenty of Brighton fans almost to a supporter they love Hughton but felt that in the second half of the season he'd lost the plot and just couldn't effect any kind of change on the way the team was playing. The feeling is that the club just needs a change. They know it might go wrong but would rather that than stick with what they've got.
Chris Hughton sacked on 09:44 - May 13 with 4409 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Have to say I saw it coming. As it stand me they are nailed on for relegation next season, I can see Norwich sheff Utd and any of those play off teams finishing above them. They are awful and had Cardiff got the striker they needed after that awful incident then I think Brighton would have been relegated.
Chris Hughton sacked on 09:44 - May 13 with 4394 viewsMrTown

Seems v harsh. Hard to see who they could line up.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:46 - May 13 with 4381 viewsitfcjoe

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:42 - May 13 by Steve_M

His football is dull and like Mick, Pulis and Big Sam fans stop putting up with it and roll the dice.

A huge risk from them though, people will feel more sorry for him than they do Mick or Pulis because he doesn't seem such a brash personality - but it's the same reason he is off. He's been on the receiving end of a harsh sacking a few times now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:48 - May 13 with 4361 viewsJammyDodgerrr

This line from the press release is great:

'“Chris has done an excellent job over the past four and a half years,” said Bloom. “First stabilising our club, reaching the play-offs in his first full season, securing our first ever promotion to the Premier League, and retaining our status in two successive seasons.'

So he's done that, kept you up again, and then you sack him? Joke. Hope they go down next season.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Login to get fewer ads

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:56 - May 13 with 4257 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:43 - May 13 by vilanovablue

Living and working on the south coast I know plenty of Brighton fans almost to a supporter they love Hughton but felt that in the second half of the season he'd lost the plot and just couldn't effect any kind of change on the way the team was playing. The feeling is that the club just needs a change. They know it might go wrong but would rather that than stick with what they've got.

Think that sums it up - he’s undoubtedly done a good job but seems the right time for a change for all involved really. Brighton seem to be regressing a bit and the majority of signings they’ve made since being promoted haven’t worked out (admittedly I’m not sure on their exact setup and how much of that falls on Hughton), and another struggle seems likely next year as it stands

I think Brighton have done well to avoid the trap some teams fall into in waiting too late to change things. Some parallels too with us last season in that the change is a gamble and will ultimately be judged from the outside on the success of the new man - kick on next year and it’ll look a wise move whereas relegation will make it seem disastrous, even if that seemed a likely outcome from sticking with Hughton too

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:58 - May 13 with 4249 viewsJohnny_Boy

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:42 - May 13 by Steve_M

Or you could possibly suggest, even after spending 66m/70m this campaign, they've finished with less points (and performed significantly worse) than the previous 2017/18 season.

With a nice shiny new stadium, the fans probably expect a bit more of the club & maybe the only way to progress forward is an improvement on the manager?
Chris Hughton sacked on 09:59 - May 13 with 4242 viewsdavblue

im not surprised by that.

Harsh in the grand scheme of things yeah probably, but they don't make chances for their forward players and are set up not to lose.

Those managers have a shelf life.
Chris Hughton sacked on 09:59 - May 13 with 4224 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:48 - May 13 by JammyDodgerrr

'“Chris has done an excellent job over the past four and a half years,” said Bloom. “First stabilising our club, reaching the play-offs in his first full season, securing our first ever promotion to the Premier League, and retaining our status in two successive seasons.'

So he's done that, kept you up again, and then you sack him? Joke. Hope they go down next season.

It’s because they think he’s taken them as far as he can and want to try and push on further. Not really sure why that’s so controversial tbh

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:01 - May 13 with 4208 viewsWD19

They will either do a Wolves or a Charlton. Either way, from a neutrals perspective, it will be more interesting than the status quo.
Chris Hughton sacked on 10:02 - May 13 with 4193 viewsSwansea_Blue

When you put it like that it sounds madness. But you'd need to be part of the fanbase to know what the current mood is like. Pretty much like how the external view on Mick was out of sync with our view.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:02 - May 13 with 4194 viewsGarv

Leicester sacked Pearson after he kept them in 2014/15. Not sure what happened next.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:06 - May 13 with 4147 viewsbracknell_blue

A good mate of mine is a Brighton fan, and he will be dancing for joy. Thinks Hughton is out of his depth, too defensive and very poor at recruitment. I then remind him he can watch PL football next season whilst I am looking forward to L1.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:08 - May 13 with 4132 viewsGarv

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:46 - May 13 by itfcjoe

His football is dull and like Mick, Pulis and Big Sam fans stop putting up with it and roll the dice.

A huge risk from them though, people will feel more sorry for him than they do Mick or Pulis because he doesn't seem such a brash personality - but it's the same reason he is off. He's been on the receiving end of a harsh sacking a few times now

I'm half expecting an article on TWTD in the coming days;

'Mick: Chrissy unlucky, football fans' expectations unrealistic'

I say this mainly because I believe the two are quite good mates.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:13 - May 13 with 4085 viewsSteve_M

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:58 - May 13 by Johnny_Boy

Or you could possibly suggest, even after spending 66m/70m this campaign, they've finished with less points (and performed significantly worse) than the previous 2017/18 season.

With a nice shiny new stadium, the fans probably expect a bit more of the club & maybe the only way to progress forward is an improvement on the manager?

Not that all of that was on Hughton's choice of signings apparently:

I'm not totally aghast at the sacking btw, your last point probably correct but, obviously, not guaranteed.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:14 - May 13 with 4070 viewsbrazil1982

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:44 - May 13 by MrTown

Another foreign coach probably.
Chris Hughton sacked on 10:17 - May 13 with 4035 viewsSwansea_Blue

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:13 - May 13 by Steve_M

Not that all of that was on Hughton's choice of signings apparently:

I'm not totally aghast at the sacking btw, your last point probably correct but, obviously, not guaranteed.

Analsysts are a pain in the @arse. That was Swansea's undoing down here. Some moneyball twerp thought Sam Clucas' stats looked good so they paid about £16m for him - he makes Douglas look cultured and dynamic. Why clubs can't trust in the eye of experienced scouts/coaches is beyond me. Player stats are merely a way to support a decision, but shouldn't be driving it.

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:18 - May 13 with 4022 viewsWD19

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:14 - May 13 by brazil1982

Another foreign coach probably.

Gareth Southgate.
Chris Hughton sacked on 10:20 - May 13 with 4005 viewsSwansea_Blue

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:44 - May 13 by MrTown

Current odds.

Graham Potter - 1/8
Phil Neville - 6/1
David Wagner - 14/1

Stupidly low on Potter, so not sure what's going on there.

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:21 - May 13 with 3996 viewsChocorange

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:02 - May 13 by Swansea_Blue

When you put it like that it sounds madness. But you'd need to be part of the fanbase to know what the current mood is like. Pretty much like how the external view on Mick was out of sync with our view.

The media can wheel out the Be careful what you wish for line for another team now!
Chris Hughton sacked on 10:21 - May 13 with 3994 viewsbournemouthblue

His Premier League record suggests he's steady but it's debatable whether he can take a team beyond about 15th

He can certainly organise a side and build a defence but can be develop a side to go further than that?

As a side note, Brighton aren't exactly poor. They have spent loads of money off the field to get themselves setup up for the Premier League yet they are poor by Remier League standards and muddling along in it. Is this the reality for the medium sized clubs going up nowadays?

The next stage after staying there for three seasons or more is to move into the 12th - 8th positions and aim to hang around for a decade or so.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 10:23]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Chris Hughton sacked on 10:21 - May 13 with 3998 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Player power probably played a part.

Heard a few weeks ago the senior players went to Hughton and asked can the team stop playing defensive football, but he decided to keep playing the same way.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024