Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... 07:41 - Oct 26 with 1216 viewsbobbyramsey

...how come he had been drifting around non-league and lower league football for so long? If he had been the "real deal" then surely someone much more savvy than us would have taken a punt on him sooner. We were sold a pup.

And he isn't really "young" anymore, he's only five years younger than Lambert.
If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:46 - Oct 26 with 1163 viewsJon_456

So easy to say this now.

Where was your concern when he joined?
If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:48 - Oct 26 with 1153 viewsPecker

I applauded his appointment as a step in the right direction. I still think that given time, he may have turned into the manager we desperately need. I am torn with his sacking. Should he have been given more time, or am I glad that ME has acted quickly?
If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:49 - Oct 26 with 1141 viewsgordon

If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:46 - Oct 26 by Jon_456

So easy to say this now.

To be fair, those raising concerns about Hurst when he joined or early in his tenure were (on here anyway) told to shut up and get behind him.
If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:50 - Oct 26 with 1126 viewsgordon

If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:48 - Oct 26 by Pecker

I applauded his appointment as a step in the right direction. I still think that given time, he may have turned into the manager we desperately need. I am torn with his sacking. Should he have been given more time, or am I glad that ME has acted quickly?

There's no way we'd have stayed up.
If Hurst was supposed to be such a on 07:52 - Oct 26 with 1115 viewsbobbyramsey

If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:46 - Oct 26 by Jon_456

So easy to say this now.

I know, easy in hindsight isn't it. I like many had no concerns and was excited by the prospect. But it does make you wonder why he was in management for nine years and had got no further up the pyramid than Shrewsbury.

People with real football nous had left well alone.....
[Post edited 26 Oct 2018 7:54]
If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:56 - Oct 26 with 1081 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

I was reasonably happy when he joined, just goes to show what an abject failure he was. Devoid of a plan B, no idea of what formation or players to use and generally clueless when it comes to trying to win. Also, what happened to the promise of passing, free flowing football from the early games? Not to mention the alleged actions of Doig just turned his appointment into a disaster, have to give ME some credit for realising so and getting rid, albeit a month too late as it was obvious he wasn’t going to,change things round.
What I find amazing is other clubs fans believe he’s going to walk straight into management again, based on one goal for Shrews at Wembley being shown by SkyBet. Clearly they’ve missed the last few months with us.
If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:59 - Oct 26 with 1077 viewsSteve_M

Hurst did an excellent job at Shrewsbury; his failure here shouldn't take anything away from that although it will give future employers more to think about.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 08:02 - Oct 26 with 1063 viewsWeekender

If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:56 - Oct 26 by backwiththeboysagain

I was reasonably happy when he joined, just goes to show what an abject failure he was. Devoid of a plan B, no idea of what formation or players to use and generally clueless when it comes to trying to win. Also, what happened to the promise of passing, free flowing football from the early games? Not to mention the alleged actions of Doig just turned his appointment into a disaster, have to give ME some credit for realising so and getting rid, albeit a month too late as it was obvious he wasn’t going to,change things round.
What I find amazing is other clubs fans believe he’s going to walk straight into management again, based on one goal for Shrews at Wembley being shown by SkyBet. Clearly they’ve missed the last few months with us.

He'll get another L1 or L2 job no problem. Before us he hadn't failed in any job and had over 50% win ratio (I think I recall) which is a good record.

If he's successful elsewhere it would make you wonder whether its the championship that is vastly different to L1 or whether ITFC are the problem.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Login to get fewer ads

If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 10:39 - Oct 26 with 917 viewsGuthrum

He hadn't been 'drifting around non-league and lower league football for so long'. It was a relatively rapid progression in the space of just ten years and four clubs from the lower levels of non-League to the verge of the second tier. For someone who was neither a significant "name" nor had powerful patronage, that's pretty decent.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 10:40 - Oct 26 with 908 viewsFrimleyBlue

If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 07:49 - Oct 26 by gordon

To be fair, those raising concerns about Hurst when he joined or early in his tenure were (on here anyway) told to shut up and get behind him.

That's a polite way of putting it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

If Hurst was supposed to be such a "bright young thing"... on 11:05 - Oct 26 with 845 viewsBerkshire_Blue

Paul Hurst should have been given more time. United were close to sacking Fergie before it all took off with one result.
As for drifting around lower leagues, he took relegation favourites Shrewsbury to the play off final. We were right to take a chance... SBR was sacked by Fulham and look how that turned out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024