Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My stag do this weekend in Madrid 10:16 - May 10 with 5223 viewsskyblue23

Anybody been to Madrid on holiday or on a Stag and know of any decent bars or any to avoid?

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:33 - May 10 with 4662 viewsblueislander

I have lived there at two different stages of my life and am still a very frequent visitor. The area around the Plaza Mayor is probably the liveliest , but will be full of tourists. Close by are the bars known as Los Mesones which are basically student bars. Haven't ben therefore a while, but they used to be the cheapest places to eat and drink, and have live music provided by "Tunas" who play traditional Spanish songs.
There are lots of girly bars, of variable reputation, mainly in the area around El Paseo de la Castellana , which is the main avenue from the North of the city into the centre. I am told that most of the girls are now Eastern European, with a sprinkling of Latinas.
To go a little more upmarket eating in Puerta 57 which is inside the Bernabeu is worthwhile.
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:35 - May 10 with 4652 viewsskyblue23

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:33 - May 10 by blueislander

I have lived there at two different stages of my life and am still a very frequent visitor. The area around the Plaza Mayor is probably the liveliest , but will be full of tourists. Close by are the bars known as Los Mesones which are basically student bars. Haven't ben therefore a while, but they used to be the cheapest places to eat and drink, and have live music provided by "Tunas" who play traditional Spanish songs.
There are lots of girly bars, of variable reputation, mainly in the area around El Paseo de la Castellana , which is the main avenue from the North of the city into the centre. I am told that most of the girls are now Eastern European, with a sprinkling of Latinas.
To go a little more upmarket eating in Puerta 57 which is inside the Bernabeu is worthwhile.

That's perfect thank you for the info! We're going to Madrid vs Celta Vigo so may well check out Puerta 57 for before the game.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:36 - May 10 with 4652 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I have but if I’m honest I struggle to remember it, other than it was a bit cheaper than I expected! I’d probably suggest staying clear of the Sol area (basically the city centre square), from memory wasn’t that much around there but I can’t really remember where we did go

Sorry - that’s probably not a lot of help!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:40 - May 10 with 4639 viewsblueislander

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:35 - May 10 by skyblue23

That's perfect thank you for the info! We're going to Madrid vs Celta Vigo so may well check out Puerta 57 for before the game.

If there is a game on ,, you will need to book if you want to sit and eat. There is a tapas bar there , but no doubt it will be heaving. The Madrid "ultras" meet in a bar called the Robin Hood before games so you might want to avoid that!
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:42 - May 10 with 4638 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm not too keen on Madrid to be honest. Three ladyboys tried to mug me by the Plaza, also happened to a mate of mine.

Watch your pockets.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:47 - May 10 with 4616 viewsblueislander

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:42 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

I'm not too keen on Madrid to be honest. Three ladyboys tried to mug me by the Plaza, also happened to a mate of mine.

Watch your pockets.

Very true. I was pickpocketed a few years ago I the centre.
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:49 - May 10 with 4612 viewsskyblue23

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:36 - May 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I have but if I’m honest I struggle to remember it, other than it was a bit cheaper than I expected! I’d probably suggest staying clear of the Sol area (basically the city centre square), from memory wasn’t that much around there but I can’t really remember where we did go

Sorry - that’s probably not a lot of help!

Any idea rough price of a pint? I'm expecting London prices as its the capital but really don't know..

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:52 - May 10 with 4599 viewsblueislander

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:49 - May 10 by skyblue23

Any idea rough price of a pint? I'm expecting London prices as its the capital but really don't know..

You will pay about 2.50 Euros for a beer , but they are not pints. Some bars will do pints at about 4 Euros , so cheaper than London.
Login to get fewer ads

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:54 - May 10 with 4597 viewsLord_Lucan

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 10:49 - May 10 by skyblue23

I went when England were over a few years back, I found a cracking Tapas bar not far from the plaza and opposite a Mc Donalds from memory. Take time to check these sort of bars out - although you will probably end up in the two Irish bars past the top of the plaza. Most England fans spent all their time and money in McDonalds and the Irish bars.

No surrender to McDonalds and Irish bars

Can't remember prices but Spain is always ok for value IMHO

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:00 - May 10 with 4579 viewsskyblue23

Perfect thanks guys, some really helpful info and I'll make sure I try keep an eye on my pockets. Obviously until I've had a few and completely forget but hopefully it'll be on my mind!

I was expecting silly money like 5 euro for a pints so that's a plus even if it isn't a full pint.

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:02 - May 10 with 4575 viewsblueislander

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:00 - May 10 by skyblue23

Perfect thanks guys, some really helpful info and I'll make sure I try keep an eye on my pockets. Obviously until I've had a few and completely forget but hopefully it'll be on my mind!

I was expecting silly money like 5 euro for a pints so that's a plus even if it isn't a full pint.

Just one more thing. make sure that you visit El Prado one of the finest art galleries in the world !!
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:05 - May 10 with 4569 viewsskyblue23

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:02 - May 10 by blueislander

Just one more thing. make sure that you visit El Prado one of the finest art galleries in the world !!

Haha I don't think the lads will be up for that but you never know!

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:18 - May 10 with 4543 viewsfarkenhell

Watch your pockets.

I'd echo this. Also, your wristwatch. Some toe-rag shook my hand and it was only after he had gone that I realised my watch strap had been unclasped. I'd like to think I would have realised what was happening whilst sober, but ten sheets to the wind and I very nearly lost the watch.

The central square is where you need to keep your wits about you.
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:31 - May 10 with 4530 viewsLord_Lucan

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:18 - May 10 by farkenhell

I'd echo this. Also, your wristwatch. Some toe-rag shook my hand and it was only after he had gone that I realised my watch strap had been unclasped. I'd like to think I would have realised what was happening whilst sober, but ten sheets to the wind and I very nearly lost the watch.

The central square is where you need to keep your wits about you.

But of course the real problem is that when you are tanked up with a Ready Brek glow you think you are invincible.

I remember as clear as day these labyboys coming over to me, it was like a scene from a comedy. They rust started rummaging in my pockets and then started to run away so I grabbed one of them and shouted to the other two that he/she is going to get it if they don't return my phone. They came back and returned my phone and then walked away, I also walked away and then got angry, turned round and chased them up the road, they then picked up a bottle and chased me back down the road again. This was repeated two or three times until we all ran out of breath.

It was mental. The next day my mate regaled an almost exact same story.

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:38 - May 10 with 4511 viewshatch

Went a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed a rooftop bar - Círculo de Bellas Artes Rooftop Bar. Went with mates and chilled at sunset with mojitos - right down my street.

I think there's quite a few to choose from but it's a chilled way to look across the city and enjoy a good drink and vibe.

Malasana was quite a popular area for drinking, and we went to a club called Joy.
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:44 - May 10 with 4494 viewsBarcaBlue

I lived in Madrid for three years, has to be said that's a while ago now though. Friday / Saturday nights we'd go to the Malasaña bars https://theculturetrip.com/europe/spain/articles/the-10-best-bars-in-madrid-s-ma - plenty of bars to walk between and always lively. Sunday hangover was spent walking round the Rastro market and then into Lavapies cafes for hair of the dog, long lunch in one of the bars there, cheap and always decent. Nearer the Summer the terrace bars on La Castellana are pretty cool, expensive but nice.

I lived close to the Rastro and every Sunday morning without fail a guy turned up with his accordion and goat. He'd play the accordion with the goat balanced on a stick - it was my alarm call.
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:53 - May 10 with 4480 viewsTIB

Enjoy your weekend.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:54 - May 10 with 4475 viewsskyblue23

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:31 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

But of course the real problem is that when you are tanked up with a Ready Brek glow you think you are invincible.

I remember as clear as day these labyboys coming over to me, it was like a scene from a comedy. They rust started rummaging in my pockets and then started to run away so I grabbed one of them and shouted to the other two that he/she is going to get it if they don't return my phone. They came back and returned my phone and then walked away, I also walked away and then got angry, turned round and chased them up the road, they then picked up a bottle and chased me back down the road again. This was repeated two or three times until we all ran out of breath.

It was mental. The next day my mate regaled an almost exact same story.

That's quality haha! Obviously not that you almost got mugged, but the running after each other until you all get out of breath is amazing!

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 12:15 - May 10 with 4449 viewsLord_Lucan

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:54 - May 10 by skyblue23

That's quality haha! Obviously not that you almost got mugged, but the running after each other until you all get out of breath is amazing!

I had a similar thing happen in Prague when we played Liberic.

This bird came up to me and just started to touch my arse a bit, I thought she was a hooker so I told her to feck off. When she did I noticed my debit card had gone - but so had she by then.

Next evening I spotted her again and I yelled out to her and she ran off. I wasn't going to have a go at her as the card was long gone, I genuinely wanted to congratulate her for a very professional piece of work.

I reckon drunken Brits are the easiest of prey, our heads must light up like a belisha beacon.

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 11:17 - May 11 with 4297 viewsfarkenhell

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 12:15 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

I had a similar thing happen in Prague when we played Liberic.

This bird came up to me and just started to touch my arse a bit, I thought she was a hooker so I told her to feck off. When she did I noticed my debit card had gone - but so had she by then.

Next evening I spotted her again and I yelled out to her and she ran off. I wasn't going to have a go at her as the card was long gone, I genuinely wanted to congratulate her for a very professional piece of work.

I reckon drunken Brits are the easiest of prey, our heads must light up like a belisha beacon.

Ha - I know what you mean.

Best story I ever heard happened to a mate of mine. He is well known for suddenly falling asleep when he's had too much to drink and impossible to wake. It's quite impressive to see in action.

Anyhoo, years ago he went on a lads trip to Ibiza. Apparently (I wasn't there), one night they were lining up to go into a club, when said mate suddenly fell asleep. His friends, being caring and paternal types, decided to plonk him on a bench opposite the club whilst they went into the club. They emerged a few hours later, to find their mate still asleep on the bench, but with his pockets having been turned inside out. The crowning glory, however, was that throughout that holiday he had worn a plastic tube around his neck, like a necklace, in which he had kept some extra money - he called it his emergency fund. Apparently this had, understandably, been the source of immense p1ss-taking throughout the holiday and given the nickname "the tampon". Anyway, on the night in question, not only had his pockets been turned out, but someone had also unscrewed the tube and emptied the emergency fund, leaving only the top bit of the tampon dangling around his neck!

I kept looking out for a similar scene in the Inbetweeners movie, but sad to say whilst I enjoyed the film, it never reached those heights!

As you say, we really are the easiest of prey.
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 13:03 - May 11 with 4241 viewssoupytwist

I went with a couple of families about a year ago, so slightly different crowd but we did have lunch at a really nice Basque restaurant on Paseo de la Castellana between the Nuevos Ministerios metro and the Santiago Bernabeu. It was on the right hand side as you head up to the stadium.

Depending on where you're staying, the Plaza Santa Ana had some nice bars on it and is pretty central. The streets round there are packed with small bars and restaurants, some a bit touristy but you can always just move on to the next one.

Also, there's a great terrace bar at the El Corte Ingles department store on Plaza de Callao, north of Puerta de Sol before you get to Calle Gran Via. Very nice for early evening drinks and to watch the sun set over the city.
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 13:54 - May 11 with 4193 viewsblueislander

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 13:03 - May 11 by soupytwist

I went with a couple of families about a year ago, so slightly different crowd but we did have lunch at a really nice Basque restaurant on Paseo de la Castellana between the Nuevos Ministerios metro and the Santiago Bernabeu. It was on the right hand side as you head up to the stadium.

Depending on where you're staying, the Plaza Santa Ana had some nice bars on it and is pretty central. The streets round there are packed with small bars and restaurants, some a bit touristy but you can always just move on to the next one.

Also, there's a great terrace bar at the El Corte Ingles department store on Plaza de Callao, north of Puerta de Sol before you get to Calle Gran Via. Very nice for early evening drinks and to watch the sun set over the city.

The restaurant was probably Jai Alai. Very good indeed.
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 19:14 - May 11 with 4105 viewsOxford_Blue

You won’t remember any of it anyway, so I wouldn’t worry.
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 21:51 - May 11 with 4046 viewsBassett_Blue

Watch your pockets.

I'll second this, be careful on the subway, I got my phone nicked on the way to The Bernabeu last year.
My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 22:05 - May 11 with 4031 viewssoupytwist

My stag do this weekend in Madrid on 13:54 - May 11 by blueislander

The restaurant was probably Jai Alai. Very good indeed.

Just looked at the Jai Alai website. Wasn't that one sadly but it does look very good. Must have been just round the corner though, can't see it on Google maps though.
[Post edited 11 May 2018 22:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024