Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy flighting.... 20:34 - Apr 17 with 3461 viewsElderGrizzly

[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 20:35]
Happy flighting.... on 20:42 - Apr 17 with 3404 viewsIllinoisblue

1 person confirmed dead. Presumably the women who was injured when sucked part way through the window.

Actually somewhat comforting that an engine can blow out and the plane still lands safely.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Happy flighting.... on 21:00 - Apr 17 with 3333 viewsRob88

Happy flighting.... on 20:42 - Apr 17 by Illinoisblue

1 person confirmed dead. Presumably the women who was injured when sucked part way through the window.

Actually somewhat comforting that an engine can blow out and the plane still lands safely.

That is luck and not judgement.

Very strange for a CFM engine to go bang as well....hmmm
[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 21:05]
Happy flighting.... on 21:07 - Apr 17 with 3313 viewsElderGrizzly

Happy flighting.... on 20:42 - Apr 17 by Illinoisblue

They’re not sure tbh right now. Reports of a passenger having a heart attack, but not sure if one and the same.

I think the being sucked out is an exaggeration in these reports, as it simply wouldn’t happen in the way described with a modern airplane.
Happy flighting.... on 21:09 - Apr 17 with 3307 viewsElderGrizzly

Happy flighting.... on 21:00 - Apr 17 by Rob88

Not really luck, but good design in case this was to happen. Engine cowlings are designed to contain the main impact of the ‘blast’ and the airplane can happily fly on 1 engine.

Still, not good!
Happy flighting.... on 21:17 - Apr 17 with 3282 viewsRob88

Happy flighting.... on 21:09 - Apr 17 by ElderGrizzly

Not really luck, but good design in case this was to happen. Engine cowlings are designed to contain the main impact of the ‘blast’ and the airplane can happily fly on 1 engine.

Still, not good!

So to be airworthy you must be able to show containment capability in the event of a blade off but you cannot design against a disc or shaft failure, energies involved are too high. You therefore design these critical components to a cyclic life requirement with probability of failure to something like 1 in so many 10’s or 100’s of millions.

This is clearly an uncontained engine failure where it looks like the entire front stage has let go. You’d need a different view to see deduce how many but you can be reasonably sure the fan stage has let go at the very least.

This is a hazardous event and by that very definition threatens the safety of the entire aircraft.
Happy flighting.... on 21:20 - Apr 17 with 3270 viewstcblue

Happy flighting.... on 21:17 - Apr 17 by Rob88

So to be airworthy you must be able to show containment capability in the event of a blade off but you cannot design against a disc or shaft failure, energies involved are too high. You therefore design these critical components to a cyclic life requirement with probability of failure to something like 1 in so many 10’s or 100’s of millions.

This is clearly an uncontained engine failure where it looks like the entire front stage has let go. You’d need a different view to see deduce how many but you can be reasonably sure the fan stage has let go at the very least.

This is a hazardous event and by that very definition threatens the safety of the entire aircraft.

Are you saying they need to fix it before going home?
Happy flighting.... on 21:27 - Apr 17 with 3241 viewsElderGrizzly

Agree, it is hazardous and uncontained, but the containment that did happen and design that led to that has probably saved the plane.

I’m sure a lawsuit will still appear though.

Still, another part of the story is how many passengers haven’t used the oxygen masks correctly or have continued using their phones/headphones. Morons.

I fly about 200 times a year and only once had a failure and that resulted in an emergency landing into JFK with full brace position as the BA747 had lost all hydraulics and didn’t have all landing gear down properly. First incident the Captain had experienced in 40 years.
Happy flighting.... on 21:35 - Apr 17 with 3217 viewsRob88

Happy flighting.... on 21:20 - Apr 17 by tcblue

Are you saying they need to fix it before going home?

But of spit and polish and should be alreet
Login to get fewer ads

Happy flighting.... on 21:36 - Apr 17 with 3214 viewsIllinoisblue

Happy flighting.... on 21:07 - Apr 17 by ElderGrizzly

They’re not sure tbh right now. Reports of a passenger having a heart attack, but not sure if one and the same.

I think the being sucked out is an exaggeration in these reports, as it simply wouldn’t happen in the way described with a modern airplane.

yes, I think there's probably some tabloid hyperbole at work there

62 - 78 - 81

Happy flighting.... on 21:43 - Apr 17 with 3182 viewsElderGrizzly

Happy flighting.... on 21:36 - Apr 17 by Illinoisblue

yes, I think there's probably some tabloid hyperbole at work there

Yep, It’s the usual ‘eye-witness’ reports that get reported after events like this, which then turn out to be nothing like the truth
Happy flighting.... on 21:48 - Apr 17 with 3165 viewsIllinoisblue

Happy flighting.... on 21:43 - Apr 17 by ElderGrizzly

Yep, It’s the usual ‘eye-witness’ reports that get reported after events like this, which then turn out to be nothing like the truth

either way, a good avert for choosing the aisle seat!

62 - 78 - 81

Happy flighting.... on 21:55 - Apr 17 with 3143 viewsJ2BLUE

Happy flighting.... on 21:27 - Apr 17 by ElderGrizzly

Agree, it is hazardous and uncontained, but the containment that did happen and design that led to that has probably saved the plane.

Still, another part of the story is how many passengers haven’t used the oxygen masks correctly or have continued using their phones/headphones. Morons.

I fly about 200 times a year and only once had a failure and that resulted in an emergency landing into JFK with full brace position as the BA747 had lost all hydraulics and didn’t have all landing gear down properly. First incident the Captain had experienced in 40 years.

I seriously question humanity when people choose moments like that to take selfies.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Happy flighting.... on 21:58 - Apr 17 with 3133 viewsRob88

Happy flighting.... on 21:48 - Apr 17 by Illinoisblue

either way, a good avert for choosing the aisle seat!

I always find myself sitting in a window seat adjacent to the engine and It always makes me uneasy at takeoff.
Happy flighting.... on 23:13 - Apr 17 with 3052 viewsKievthegreat

Fan system still there and looks intact (If a blade goes the whole things a bloody mess). Same with the containment case. The part that's come off at the front is just the Intake cowling. That's not a structural section and you can see it's made from lightweight honeycomb as opposed to the solid metal of the next section.

What's interesting is the significant damage to the inside fan cowl door. Could suggest that there was a failure in the hot end of the engine, just out of sight of the cameras? Or could just be a result of the Intake failing.

I'm more inclined to think it's probably cowling that's broken the window rather than a major engine component. The window that actually broke is actually behind the wing and quite far back from the engine. A rotating component spat out would go quite straight. Additionally the force they'd be expelled at can literally cut through the skin of an aircraft like it was nothing. I'd expect an "exit wound".
[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 23:14]
Happy flighting.... on 08:35 - Apr 18 with 2919 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Just seen the footage......does anybody watch the pre flight safety instructions! And then to film yourself doing it wrong......."The Society of the Spectacle."

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Happy flighting.... on 09:04 - Apr 18 with 2902 viewsRob88

Happy flighting.... on 23:13 - Apr 17 by Kievthegreat

Fan system still there and looks intact (If a blade goes the whole things a bloody mess). Same with the containment case. The part that's come off at the front is just the Intake cowling. That's not a structural section and you can see it's made from lightweight honeycomb as opposed to the solid metal of the next section.

What's interesting is the significant damage to the inside fan cowl door. Could suggest that there was a failure in the hot end of the engine, just out of sight of the cameras? Or could just be a result of the Intake failing.

I'm more inclined to think it's probably cowling that's broken the window rather than a major engine component. The window that actually broke is actually behind the wing and quite far back from the engine. A rotating component spat out would go quite straight. Additionally the force they'd be expelled at can literally cut through the skin of an aircraft like it was nothing. I'd expect an "exit wound".
[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 23:14]

It was a fan blade off. What’s strange is it was contained by the fan case (or so it seems) but the picture almost makes it seem as if it has gone forward and hence shredded the cowling.
Happy flighting.... on 12:09 - Apr 18 with 2847 viewsnc41

Happy flighting.... on 21:00 - Apr 17 by Rob88

I would say a lot of skill and judgement with some luck.
Happy flighting.... on 12:20 - Apr 18 with 2831 viewsRob88

Happy flighting.... on 12:09 - Apr 18 by nc41

I would say a lot of skill and judgement with some luck.

Given it doesn’t appear to be a critical component that has failed I would agree. I think had it been an uncontained failure of a critical component you would say that they were bloody lucky.
Happy flighting.... on 12:31 - Apr 18 with 2806 viewsnc41

Happy flighting.... on 12:20 - Apr 18 by Rob88

Given it doesn’t appear to be a critical component that has failed I would agree. I think had it been an uncontained failure of a critical component you would say that they were bloody lucky.

Agree, to a degree.

Any kind of failure resulting in a safe landing would take enormous amounts of skill and judgement - not just luck.
Happy flighting.... on 13:18 - Apr 18 with 2762 viewsSpruceMoose

200 times a year!? You might as well just become a pilot!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024