Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link 23:56 - May 14 with 20776 viewsIllinoisblue

He wouldn’t, would he?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/14/manchester-united-ponde

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:15 - May 15 with 8408 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I don’t think he leaves us yet.

I do know some quite interesting def info about the Palace situation though a few months back but wouldn’t dare want to say anything whilst he’s still with us. So instead I’ll just tease you all and hope I remember to come back to this thread in the future.

Build him a statue as far as I’m concerned. Even if he left us tomorrow.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:19 - May 15 with 8383 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

He does fit what INEOS are "apparently" going for.

If they come in with an offer for him, he is probably gone. But in the meantime I will be praying every night that he doesn't leave and I do think United might look elsewhere.
[Post edited 15 May 0:26]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:22 - May 15 with 8355 viewsBossy

I think he will 100% go to Man Utd at some point, but I don’t think it’ll be next season.

Firstly, I think it would be a pretty bad look getting us into the prem way before we’re ready and then pressing the ejector button immediately.

Secondly, he is very savvy and will understand there is further groundwork to be done to get Man Utd ready for him so he doesn’t end up being another talented manager chucked on the scrap heap at that club.

What is much more likely is they are already lining him up and have had discussions with him with the plan being to shift certain players, get new faces in that fits his style and other improvements required to get ready for his arrival.

In my eyes, that could mean that either ETH stays or Southgate comes in (as he was going to leave England after this tournment anyway) and does a tidying job under the direction of McKenna. Much like what happened before Pep joined Man City.

Could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.
[Post edited 15 May 0:24]

Poll: Should there be stickied threads for hot topics (e.g. matchday/McKenna rumours)?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:23 - May 15 with 8336 viewsitfctilidie

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:15 - May 15 by The_Romford_Blue

I do know some quite interesting def info about the Palace situation though a few months back but wouldn’t dare want to say anything whilst he’s still with us. So instead I’ll just tease you all and hope I remember to come back to this thread in the future.

Great manager doing a great job, but a statue for finishing second in league 1 and championship is a bit tin pot.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:25 - May 15 with 8298 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:22 - May 15 by Bossy

I think he will 100% go to Man Utd at some point, but I don’t think it’ll be next season.

Firstly, I think it would be a pretty bad look getting us into the prem way before we’re ready and then pressing the ejector button immediately.

Secondly, he is very savvy and will understand there is further groundwork to be done to get Man Utd ready for him so he doesn’t end up being another talented manager chucked on the scrap heap at that club.

What is much more likely is they are already lining him up and have had discussions with him with the plan being to shift certain players, get new faces in that fits his style and other improvements required to get ready for his arrival.

In my eyes, that could mean that either ETH stays or Southgate comes in (as he was going to leave England after this tournment anyway) and does a tidying job under the direction of McKenna. Much like what happened before Pep joined Man City.

Could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.
[Post edited 15 May 0:24]

He is savvy, but also smart enough to know how fast football can change. If Manchester United offer him the job, he will go there. It is the biggest football club in the world. You might not get that opportunity again.

But I do think that United might see it as slightly too soon. Also I am sure I read that United didn't actually have any interest in Southgate, which would make me question the validity of the initial rumour.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:26 - May 15 with 8285 viewsGuthrum

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:19 - May 15 by TRUE_BLUE123

He does fit what INEOS are "apparently" going for.

If they come in with an offer for him, he is probably gone. But in the meantime I will be praying every night that he doesn't leave and I do think United might look elsewhere.
[Post edited 15 May 0:26]

One factor may be if they intend for him to be Head Coach, rather than Manager. In other words how much control/authority he would have over wider aspects of the team, such as strategy, transfers and even playing style.

Altho we have Probert as Director of Football Operations, that's not the same as an all-powerful DoF over the Manager's head.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:34 - May 15 with 8228 viewsBossy

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:25 - May 15 by TRUE_BLUE123

He is savvy, but also smart enough to know how fast football can change. If Manchester United offer him the job, he will go there. It is the biggest football club in the world. You might not get that opportunity again.

But I do think that United might see it as slightly too soon. Also I am sure I read that United didn't actually have any interest in Southgate, which would make me question the validity of the initial rumour.

True but I guess I see it this way from both sides (McKenna and INEOS). At the moment the club is an absolute mess and I really don’t think they’ll just make another managerial swap in the middle of utter turmoil. Basically I don’t think they’ll want to get another promising manager in and immediately taint them with the current radioactive squad and crumbling infrastructure only to then have to do the same thing again in another couple of years.
[Post edited 15 May 0:37]

Poll: Should there be stickied threads for hot topics (e.g. matchday/McKenna rumours)?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:35 - May 15 with 8216 viewsIllinoisblue

United are a car crash right now. Be a massive risk for KM to walk into that shambles. On the other hand, if he turns them around he’s a legend forever.

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:39 - May 15 with 8189 viewspointofblue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:34 - May 15 by Bossy

True but I guess I see it this way from both sides (McKenna and INEOS). At the moment the club is an absolute mess and I really don’t think they’ll just make another managerial swap in the middle of utter turmoil. Basically I don’t think they’ll want to get another promising manager in and immediately taint them with the current radioactive squad and crumbling infrastructure only to then have to do the same thing again in another couple of years.

Dare I say it, but he needs a Paul Cook to do the dirty work at United and taking the flack before coming in afterwards.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:41 - May 15 with 8181 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:34 - May 15 by Bossy

True. I mean everything you say about United and the risk with it is 100% correct. But man would it take some guts to also turn down United.

Having a good manager is every bit amazing as it is terrifying….

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:42 - May 15 with 8175 viewsChurchman

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:35 - May 15 by Illinoisblue

United are a car crash right now. Be a massive risk for KM to walk into that shambles. On the other hand, if he turns them around he’s a legend forever.

Absolutely right. Never take a job on where everything is going right.

The reality is that if Man Utd come calling you don’t turn it down. The mess they’re in actually makes it easier for him, or anyone else, to take the job on their terms.

Is there anything in this? Who knows. What will be will be.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:44 - May 15 with 8159 viewsIllinoisblue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:42 - May 15 by Churchman

The reality is that if Man Utd come calling you don’t turn it down. The mess they’re in actually makes it easier for him, or anyone else, to take the job on their terms.

It would be devastating if he leaves. Then again, Graham Potter needs a job and would be a great fit.

62 - 78 - 81

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:45 - May 15 with 8145 viewsBossy

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:41 - May 15 by TRUE_BLUE123

True. I mean everything you say about United and the risk with it is 100% correct. But man would it take some guts to also turn down United.

Having a good manager is every bit amazing as it is terrifying….

I know it’s heinous seeing reports of him being linked here there and everywhere. Especially big clubs like Utd who he already has links with.

I’m hoping we get him for one more season at least and he’s done the donkey work to get us ready for stability in the prem. I trust Ashton to get a good replacement in when the time comes.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:51 - May 15 with 8111 viewsburnbudgiesburn

I'll be amazed if United do actually take a risk with such a rookie manager, but yes he'll go there if they offer him the job.

We may not want to hear it but staying here is also a risk as a relegation (and we will start favourites) would dent his credentials quite badly.

Would leave us in quite a problematic position as to what to do for our next appointment certainly. We'd have a choice of continuity with someone like Lee Grant, or another Ashton rookie pick from outside the club.

Odds are I think he'll stay here though.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:57 - May 15 with 8083 viewsBluedandy

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:42 - May 15 by Churchman

Are we McKenna's Aberdeen? Something certainly smells a little funny.

Surely he wouldn't go there as Gareth Southgate's number two?
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 02:56 - May 15 with 7885 viewsRyorry

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:51 - May 15 by burnbudgiesburn

I'll be amazed if United do actually take a risk with such a rookie manager, but yes he'll go there if they offer him the job.

We may not want to hear it but staying here is also a risk as a relegation (and we will start favourites) would dent his credentials quite badly.

Would leave us in quite a problematic position as to what to do for our next appointment certainly. We'd have a choice of continuity with someone like Lee Grant, or another Ashton rookie pick from outside the club.

I'm not sure he would go there even if it's offered right now.. He's got more than enough brains to see it's a poisoned chalice atm.

Taking us from L1 to be a well-established Prem side challenging for Europe once again, would be a biggeer managerial achievement than simply stopping the further downward spiral of Utd.

Plus he also obviously has a great deal of integrity, so I can't see him ditching us at this euphoric stage, esp when we were the first Club to give him his managerial chance.

And he also clearly feels he owes a lot to his family, who he's said are happily settled in Suffolk.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 04:13 - May 15 with 7812 viewsIllinoisblue

When you say relegation will hurt KM’s reputation do you mean with us, or with United?

62 - 78 - 81

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 04:56 - May 15 with 7722 viewsMK1

Still think it is to soon for him. They are in chaos at the moment. Massive rebuild of the squad needed. Maybe next time it becomes available. Fingers firmly crossed.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 05:01 - May 15 with 7711 viewsMK1

Just read that Thomas Frank is heavily linked. (Telegraph)
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 05:14 - May 15 with 7684 viewsitfctilidie

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 05:01 - May 15 by MK1

Just read that Thomas Frank is heavily linked. (Telegraph)

two birds with one stone, keep McKenna and weaken what will be seen as a direct rival next season
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 05:23 - May 15 with 7639 viewsibbleobble

He wouldn’t be anywhere near contention if the managerial market had more serious elite managers available for consideration. Tuchel, Southgate, Potter, Nagelsmann all more experienced and ahead of KM in the betting not that I think any of them are a good fit for United.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 05:31 - May 15 with 7623 viewsDarkBrandon

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:15 - May 15 by The_Romford_Blue

Please fill us in, when you can.

I remember listening to an interview with KM shortly after we went up when he mentioned that he had “shown loyalty” to Ipswich. Which made me realise he had already had to make a pretty big decision. I guess as the Palace approach happened relatively quietly I hadn’t considered how seriously he might take it (or how far the talks went, maybe)
[Post edited 15 May 5:35]
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 05:33 - May 15 with 7609 viewsDarkBrandon

Managing Burnley for a year in the top flight hasn’t done much for Kompany’s reputation
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 06:02 - May 15 with 7534 viewsBuhrer

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:23 - May 15 by itfctilidie

Great manager doing a great job, but a statue for finishing second in league 1 and championship is a bit tin pot.

What have you been watching? Multiple record breaking back to back promotions, to the Prem.... A bit tin pot? FFS.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 06:22 - May 15 with 7429 viewsyorkshireblue

Football moves fast… this time last year Kompany was being looked at by Big Six clubs - according to paper talk anyway. Whilst it might not be the optimum time to join them, if a team of Man Utd statue coming knocking you don’t turn it down, and we’d be naive to think otherwise.

I’d like to see him sign an extension here, with a higher buy-out clause though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024