Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London 21:00 - May 14 with 2373 viewsTMWWNGAS

Off to London in a couple of weeks with the Mrs.

Having done most touristy bits, any recommendations or places to go which most people wouldn't necessarily think of?

London on 21:08 - May 14 with 2025 viewsessexpaul64

I would recomend going to the church of Magnus the martyr. Has a very impressive model of the original London Bridge. Dont know when its open so need to look online. But IMO well worth a visit and outside there some original stones from the London Bridge.
London on 21:26 - May 14 with 1987 viewsLesta_Tractor

Not super touristy but have you visited the area around Lloyds of London?

Leadenhall Market, St Dunstan in the East and The Garden at 120 are all quite interesting.

St Michael's Church on Cornhill, which was in Slow Horses, is also pretty cool.

Pub wise The Ship on Talbot Court and The Old Tea Warehouse have got some history to them.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

London on 21:41 - May 14 with 1945 viewsfactual_blue

The Horniman Museum.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

London on 21:46 - May 14 with 1925 viewsStokieBlue

I think your brief is rather wide, you need to be more specific on the type of things you like to see.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

London on 21:59 - May 14 with 1863 viewsMattinLondon

If you want to go somewhere nice for a meal then this place is great.

https://www.memlaz.co.uk/

It has really great Turkish and south-eastern Mediterranean food. But out of the way in Islington but it’s worth it.
London on 22:01 - May 14 with 1855 viewsmrfixit426

The French House on Dean Street is a great pub. Loads of history and you may bump into a luvvy or two.
London on 22:13 - May 14 with 1795 viewsfooters

The Wellcome Collection is always interesting if you're interested in medical things.

Plus, I know a sex dungeon on an industrial estate just off Camden Rd. So if you do that and take the 29 then the job's a good'un really.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

London on 22:24 - May 14 with 1737 viewsLord_Lucan

1/ London transport museum.

2/ Go in the Bear and Staff just of Leicester Square for a couple of pints and then leave and walk up roads that you haven't been down before and visit every pub you come to. It's a great adventure, see how far you can get before collapsing.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

London on 22:52 - May 14 with 1673 viewsmattelliot

Depends where you are going to be, living east London for 10+ years here is a few places I fell in love with.

1/ E Pellicci - A truly iconic east london / Italian greasy spoon cafe, totally dominated by the wonderful family that run it, always hustle and bustle and "true" east London. Do not go Sat/Sun as expect to queue for ages. Usually midweek you stroll in.

2/ The Palm Tree... my favourite pub in london - take cash and just enjoy the 70's untouched pub.

3/ The Mayflower pub - great sunday roast and a great too / from it from London bridge. Another busy place though!

4/ Victoria park & Olympic park great spots too!
London on 23:05 - May 14 with 1642 viewsChurchman

London on 22:24 - May 14 by Lord_Lucan

1/ London transport museum.

2/ Go in the Bear and Staff just of Leicester Square for a couple of pints and then leave and walk up roads that you haven't been down before and visit every pub you come to. It's a great adventure, see how far you can get before collapsing.

When you’ve done the excellent London Transport Museum, if you fancy a curry, the Punjab, 80 Neal St is the place to go. If you then need a restorative The Cross Keys, 31 Endall Street 5 mins walk away. A proper unspoiled London pub. Small, slightly off the beaten track so less tourists. They do nosebag there too if you are feeling tired.

Further over, Borough Market is always good value. Southwark Cathedral next to it, HMS Belfast close, plenty of eating places and coffee etc in the renovated warehouse area opposite London Bridge next to the river.
London on 23:15 - May 14 with 1603 viewsfooters

London on 23:05 - May 14 by Churchman

When you’ve done the excellent London Transport Museum, if you fancy a curry, the Punjab, 80 Neal St is the place to go. If you then need a restorative The Cross Keys, 31 Endall Street 5 mins walk away. A proper unspoiled London pub. Small, slightly off the beaten track so less tourists. They do nosebag there too if you are feeling tired.

Further over, Borough Market is always good value. Southwark Cathedral next to it, HMS Belfast close, plenty of eating places and coffee etc in the renovated warehouse area opposite London Bridge next to the river.

'Borough market' and 'good value' are incompatible phrases.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

London on 23:22 - May 14 with 1568 viewsWeWereZombies

19 Princelet Street in Spitalfields is good for some Huguenot history:

https://www.huguenotsofspitalfields.org/places-to-visit/19-princelet-street/

https://www.19princeletstreet.org.uk/

Probably needs advance booking (I went during the London Open Day one September, found it fascinating.)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

London on 23:22 - May 14 with 1573 viewsChurchman

London on 23:15 - May 14 by footers

'Borough market' and 'good value' are incompatible phrases.

Poor wording. Good value in terms of experience, fun, mooching round with Mrs C. The last thing you want to do is buy anything from it. Avoid the Market Porter too. There are better pubs around there.
London on 23:25 - May 14 with 1555 viewsFreddies_Ears

London on 23:22 - May 14 by Churchman

Poor wording. Good value in terms of experience, fun, mooching round with Mrs C. The last thing you want to do is buy anything from it. Avoid the Market Porter too. There are better pubs around there.

Such as the Rake, on Winchester Walk, just behind the market. 10 mins walk away, towards / around Borough tube, the Lord Clyde and the Royal Oak.
London on 05:39 - May 15 with 1407 viewsTMWWNGAS

Some great suggestions, thanks.
Deliberately left it open rather than specific interests in case there was something I'd not thought of, good work hive!
London on 05:59 - May 15 with 1391 viewshoppy

London on 21:59 - May 14 by MattinLondon

If you want to go somewhere nice for a meal then this place is great.

https://www.memlaz.co.uk/

It has really great Turkish and south-eastern Mediterranean food. But out of the way in Islington but it’s worth it.

Or if Polish food is of interest, then this is also a great restaurant and bar..

https://mamuska.net

And then wander round the corner to have a look at Leake Street tunnel - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leake_Street - a constantly changing view of interest, including a Banksy… leading out into Lower Marsh, take a left out of there and at the end of the road is another alternative eating/drinking option - https://www.cubana.co.uk/ near to The Old Vic.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

London on 06:48 - May 15 with 1306 viewstextbackup

Take her on a trip/tour of the 7 away grounds we have in the smoke next season

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

London on 08:45 - May 15 with 1175 viewsSomethingBlue

Highgate cemetery is fascinating, especially if you can do a tour, and combine a walk on nearby Hampstead Heath & a pint at one of the nice nearby pubs. You can get an overground train directly to the latter from Stratford.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

London on 08:55 - May 15 with 1116 viewssoupytwist

London on 21:26 - May 14 by Lesta_Tractor

Not super touristy but have you visited the area around Lloyds of London?

Leadenhall Market, St Dunstan in the East and The Garden at 120 are all quite interesting.

St Michael's Church on Cornhill, which was in Slow Horses, is also pretty cool.

Pub wise The Ship on Talbot Court and The Old Tea Warehouse have got some history to them.

If you do end up around the City of London, pop into Postman's Park and spend some time contemplating the Monument to Humble Sacrifice.

https://www.london-walking-tours.co.uk/postmans-park/introduction.htm
London on 09:01 - May 15 with 1085 viewsgiant_stow

The river Lee from Stratford to Hackney wick is good if you're staying nearby. Lots of bars ( at the Hackney wick end), very lively and nice boats.
[Post edited 15 May 9:02]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

London on 09:03 - May 15 with 1057 viewsvilanovablue

The John Soane museum is worth a few hours of anyone's time.
London on 11:03 - May 15 with 950 viewswoodbridge_blue

How about a walk over the top of the O2 building in North Greenwich? Not particularly cheap but excellent views from the top.
London on 11:03 - May 15 with 948 viewscrouchendyachtclub

London on 23:05 - May 14 by Churchman

I'm more of a Philomenas guy. Good pint of Guinness and you often get table service during a match.
London on 11:08 - May 15 with 931 viewsleitrimblue

I like the Temple and the area around it. Great place for a quiet afternoon smoke.
The Isle of Dogs footbridge is quite cool as well. Art deco and all that..
London on 15:04 - May 15 with 783 viewsunbelievablue

London on 08:45 - May 15 by SomethingBlue

Highgate cemetery is fascinating, especially if you can do a tour, and combine a walk on nearby Hampstead Heath & a pint at one of the nice nearby pubs. You can get an overground train directly to the latter from Stratford.

Agree with this. We went a couple summer's back and then took it upon ourselves to wander from there back into central London. A nice walk with lots of different areas/pubs/churches etc. on the route.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024