Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? 19:39 - May 2 with 2325 viewsBobbychase

A tasty evening, multiple pitch invasions, coins being thrown at us all night, Brum fans coming to the front of the away end offering fights.

It's sold out for the visit of Norwich and I can't help but think they need to get their players off the pitch pretty quick if they send Birmingham down. Something in the water there, a large feral element to the support base.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 19:43 - May 2 with 2061 viewsIllinoisblue

Yep could be a difficult day for the budgies. šŸ‘€

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 19:53 - May 2 with 2022 viewsgainsboroughblue

It's got us at Leeds in 2007 vibes to this day.

Mind you, I've got a weird feeling something pretty ridiculous is going to happen and Hull either sneak in, or get agonisingly close. A seven goal swing can quite easily happen in this crazy league.

It's not just because its Norwich either. Just that a feral St Andrews could do funny things to opponents when they are desperate for a win.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 20:17 - May 2 with 1913 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Got spat on that night. God knows what it would have been like outside the ground if we had won.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 20:20 - May 2 with 1908 viewsLinners

Definitely one of my worst experiences as a town fan that night. Properly intimidating atmosphere. Leeds in 2007 was also awful and it's scandalous how lightly they got away with some of the things their fans did that day.
Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 20:24 - May 2 with 1877 viewsN2_Blue

Yep I was at that game as 20 year old. Everything you say was true, was a hostile night and a gutting defeat.

Look back now though with a little bit of fondness. Football has got a bit sterile now. Donā€™t get many atmospheres like that in English football anymore.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 20:28 - May 2 with 1856 viewsBobbychase

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 20:24 - May 2 by N2_Blue

Yep I was at that game as 20 year old. Everything you say was true, was a hostile night and a gutting defeat.

Look back now though with a little bit of fondness. Football has got a bit sterile now. Donā€™t get many atmospheres like that in English football anymore.

It was an extraordinary atmosphere, they've always been good at making a din.

David Mellor was doing the BBC football phone in that night and kept saying how wonderful it was to see the joyous celebrations, the exuberance. I nearly wore my phone keys out trying to get through to put him straight.

Only comical bit was when a Birmingham fan got a bit too close to the away end trying to find someone to fight and the cops ushered him in with us thinking he was a Town fan. Lost his bravado pretty quickly.

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 20:55 - May 2 with 1753 viewsITFC_Forever

Yep, an awful evening.

Compounded by thick freezing fog all the way home which meant you couldnā€™t go above 30 all the way along the A14. Got back well after 3am, and the Mrs rang me to find out where we were, and thought we were in a ditch at the side of the road.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 20:59 - May 2 with 1729 viewsBobbychase

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 20:55 - May 2 by ITFC_Forever

Yep, an awful evening.

Compounded by thick freezing fog all the way home which meant you couldnā€™t go above 30 all the way along the A14. Got back well after 3am, and the Mrs rang me to find out where we were, and thought we were in a ditch at the side of the road.

Ah yes, how could I forget the fog

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 21:15 - May 2 with 1693 viewsbraveblue

Drove vehicles all over the pitch to cut it up so we couldnā€™t pass the ball. Shocking place.
Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 21:27 - May 2 with 1637 viewsEdmundo

I was there. Horrible night. Truly awful place. One day we'll be back in the semi finals of a Cup and it won't be that bunch of things (or a ridiculous mismatch like Arsenal 10 years later).

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 21:32 - May 2 with 1625 viewsAsa

My worst experience at an away match.

Absolute joke. No police in the ground due to West Midlands Police policy if I recall. Stewards were all Birmingham fans getting caught up in the emotion. I was about three seats away from the Birmingham fans to the left and stewards were allowing their fans to assault ours over them.

Coins and liquids being pelted on us. A kid about 10 had his head cut by a coin. A woman near me was punched. In the end was glad it went to 4-1 so we could get out of the ground without something serious happening. Still managed to have objects thrown at our window by fans celebrating getting to a final. God knows what would have happened if weā€™d won.

I may be dreaming but Iā€™m sure someone posted something before that Jeff Winter admitted somewhere it was the only game where he was affected by the crowd fearing heā€™d be lynched if weā€™d have won - no idea if thatā€™s true. They got everything that night. They had about three stay off the pitch or the match will be abandoned warnings too.

The only time I was ever assaulted at football was being kicked by a grown man when I was 15 (I looked about 12-13) or so coming out of Churchmans after Birmingham beat us 1-0. I was walking past minding my own business and this guy just went for me. My dad went for him.

For those reasons Iā€™ve despised Birmingham for a great many years. As a die hard Bills fan who hated Tom Brady, it was just perfect he had to part own them too.

Bloody hope they go down.
[Post edited 2 May 21:39]
Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 22:16 - May 2 with 1496 viewsStourbridgeblue

I was there. Wasn't that where "Tractor Boys" comes from?

Poll: What do you want on Sunday?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 22:19 - May 2 with 1479 viewstextbackup

Loudest ground Iā€™ve ever been to.
Was fcking horrible reallyā€¦ but we gave it back when we scored to take it to ET.

Had we won, every coach would have been smashed up

Weā€™ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 22:19 - May 2 with 1477 viewsRadlett_blue

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 19:53 - May 2 by gainsboroughblue

It's got us at Leeds in 2007 vibes to this day.

Mind you, I've got a weird feeling something pretty ridiculous is going to happen and Hull either sneak in, or get agonisingly close. A seven goal swing can quite easily happen in this crazy league.

It's not just because its Norwich either. Just that a feral St Andrews could do funny things to opponents when they are desperate for a win.

No way are Hull going to win 3 or 4 nil at relegation threatened Plymouth, with the Budgies losing by a similar score at Brum. Almost bound to be 2 really tight games.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 22:23 - May 2 with 1455 viewsBobbychase

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 22:16 - May 2 by Stourbridgeblue

I was there. Wasn't that where "Tractor Boys" comes from?

Different game, when we lost 1-0 towards the end of one of the Burley play-off seasons.

"No noise from the Tractor Boys"

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 22:24 - May 2 with 1442 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 22:19 - May 2 by Radlett_blue

No way are Hull going to win 3 or 4 nil at relegation threatened Plymouth, with the Budgies losing by a similar score at Brum. Almost bound to be 2 really tight games.

Spoilsport!

Funny though isn't it. We totally dismiss that but we're cacking ourselves that a team who has amassed 90 odd points and lost once at home are going to keel over against a relegated team who have had their manager throw them under a bus.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 23:06 - May 2 with 1287 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Yeah, awful night at an awful place. Was living in London back then and to compound matters there were problems with the trains and donā€™t think I got back to London until after 2am. Went there again for League when they equalised in stoppage time and their fans pelted us with coins - a Dad with his kids was bleeding from a cut to the head. Will always remember the ā€˜chiefā€™ steward coming to ask the other stewards what had happened: ā€œdidnā€™t see anythingā€ā€¦ Always disliked them since, happy to see them go down.
Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 23:45 - May 2 with 1186 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich youths came of age that night.

ā€œHello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.ā€ Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 23:53 - May 2 with 1161 viewsN2_Blue

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 23:06 - May 2 by benrhyddingblue

Yeah, awful night at an awful place. Was living in London back then and to compound matters there were problems with the trains and donā€™t think I got back to London until after 2am. Went there again for League when they equalised in stoppage time and their fans pelted us with coins - a Dad with his kids was bleeding from a cut to the head. Will always remember the ā€˜chiefā€™ steward coming to ask the other stewards what had happened: ā€œdidnā€™t see anythingā€ā€¦ Always disliked them since, happy to see them go down.

I lived in Reading at the time.

I helped a disabed fan out of the ground because no one at St Andrews gave a toss and the stewards were probably also dealing with the carnage inflicted on our fans. It meant I missed the last train i could get home on and i ended up sleeping in Birmgham New Street station until the first train in the morning. As a poor student there was no way i was paying for a hotel.

I miss the atmopshere of nights like that in away grounds but of course don't condone the coin throwing and and thuggery. But it was an incredible atmosphere and when we got the goal to take it to ET it was incredible. Wright then got fecked over by a pitch they'd used flame throwers on!! I mean WTF

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 01:07 - May 3 with 1047 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 23:45 - May 2 by Lord_Lucan

Ipswich youths came of age that night.

First time I ever threw a punch at football outside the pub before the ground - not necessarily proud but they called it on and were intent on bullying.
Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 08:18 - May 3 with 740 viewsunbelievablue

Yeah it'll be mad there tomorrow. Why would you bother as a Nodge fan?

I actually think Wednesday might go down.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 08:26 - May 3 with 711 viewsbluelagos

Yep, was living in the midlands and my local was a blues (BCFC) pub.

Got some good mates who were die hard Brum fans whose Sat nights would often end up with a fight with Villa fans. They detest each other, real loathing.

Was gutted we lost, remember the game being a bit tasty.and I think feral describes well the worst of them.

That said, was nearly 25 years ago, St Andrews is a much more pleasant experience these days, though I'd not wear any colours if I was a budgie. Only takes 1 idiot...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 08:58 - May 3 with 633 viewssoupytwist

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 08:26 - May 3 by bluelagos

Yep, was living in the midlands and my local was a blues (BCFC) pub.

Got some good mates who were die hard Brum fans whose Sat nights would often end up with a fight with Villa fans. They detest each other, real loathing.

Was gutted we lost, remember the game being a bit tasty.and I think feral describes well the worst of them.

That said, was nearly 25 years ago, St Andrews is a much more pleasant experience these days, though I'd not wear any colours if I was a budgie. Only takes 1 idiot...

It's the only away ground I've driven to and been asked for money to make sure nothing untoward happens to the car when parking in a residential street. That was for a league game under Burley.

We played there the game immediately after Sir Alf Ramsey died if I remember rightly and it was barely acknowledged. Given he had worked there after England I thought was a bit off.
Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 09:04 - May 3 with 598 viewsbluelagos

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 08:58 - May 3 by soupytwist

It's the only away ground I've driven to and been asked for money to make sure nothing untoward happens to the car when parking in a residential street. That was for a league game under Burley.

We played there the game immediately after Sir Alf Ramsey died if I remember rightly and it was barely acknowledged. Given he had worked there after England I thought was a bit off.

A quid to look after yer car mate!

Had that many times, Brum, Merseyside, Manchester.

My favourite story was the bloke who parked up a flash motor and when asked for a quid said his car had an anti-theft alarm with a tracker too.

The kid asked if his alarm could put out fires? Paid his quid!

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 09:06 - May 3 with 583 viewssoupytwist

Anyone else at the League Cup semi-final at St Andrew's? on 09:04 - May 3 by bluelagos

A quid to look after yer car mate!

Had that many times, Brum, Merseyside, Manchester.

My favourite story was the bloke who parked up a flash motor and when asked for a quid said his car had an anti-theft alarm with a tracker too.

The kid asked if his alarm could put out fires? Paid his quid!

The kid asked for a quid. I had two pound coins in my pocket so gave him both, just to be sure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024