Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? 07:50 - May 1 with 1535 viewsroysboys

Our Super Kieran McKenna is undoubtedly a supreme planner, a master tactician and superb man manager. But Is he ready to be a Demolition Man? While in Division 1, we built a squad that was ready for the Championship. Success has come very quickly to our current humble brave friendly family of footballers who are all part of somethng very special. But t the hard question for Kuean is how many of his team of heroes can bridge that gap to thePremiership? It would be sad for us fans to say goodbye to many of the current crop and it may well be McKenna's toughest task yet.

Blog: Pig Tales - An Old Story Brought Bang Up to Date

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:52 - May 1 with 1483 viewscaptainfantastic

For many of them, and they will know it, after Saturday the journey is over. And they will know it deep down.

But they have all certainly played their part at some point along the way.

Poll: player of the season so far?

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:54 - May 1 with 1454 viewsHerbivore

I think if we seal the deal the plan will be to add quality in key areas and to let players go who we possibly would have let go anyway (Jackson, Donacien, Aluko, Ladapo, Ahadme, El Miz) so there will be some refreshing of the squad without it needing to be a demolition job. Be interesting to see what happens with someone like Luongo, who has been amazing but probably isn't going to start regularly in the Prem and might fancy a move to get regular football at this stage in his career. We'll lose at least one of Hladky or Walton too I suspect.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:54 - May 1 with 1440 viewsWeWereZombies

To say that building a squad ready for the Premier League is McKenna's toughest task yet is something of a truism, for a manager who has yet to manager at the highest level the step up is obviously a severe challenge. But remember that it is a squad that teams will be selected from during 2024/25, I think just about all of the regulars from this year deserve a place in that squad, but maybe not such frequent starts...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:56 - May 1 with 1416 viewscaptainfantastic

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:54 - May 1 by Herbivore

I think if we seal the deal the plan will be to add quality in key areas and to let players go who we possibly would have let go anyway (Jackson, Donacien, Aluko, Ladapo, Ahadme, El Miz) so there will be some refreshing of the squad without it needing to be a demolition job. Be interesting to see what happens with someone like Luongo, who has been amazing but probably isn't going to start regularly in the Prem and might fancy a move to get regular football at this stage in his career. We'll lose at least one of Hladky or Walton too I suspect.

Agree,

I feel we'll replace our weakest positions to make those the strongest.

So high level CB, RB, CM, No.10

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:57 - May 1 with 1389 viewsBlueNomad

I think he will keep many of them - we are a TEAM and the arrival of a load of highly paid “names” would upset the real (non-monetary) value of what has got us here.

Having said that, I anticipate 6-7 arrivals, none of them too (Sky) headline grabbing
Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:58 - May 1 with 1361 viewsHerbivore

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:56 - May 1 by captainfantastic

Agree,

I feel we'll replace our weakest positions to make those the strongest.

So high level CB, RB, CM, No.10

I'd blow the budget on Hutch for the 10 or wide right role. The kid is dynamite and destined for the top.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:01 - May 1 with 1309 viewscaptainfantastic

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:58 - May 1 by Herbivore

I'd blow the budget on Hutch for the 10 or wide right role. The kid is dynamite and destined for the top.

He would likely be available. With them having invested so much in Mudryk & also Madueke getting minutes.

It would fit our investment strategy of a player we could improve and potentially command a bigger fee later down the line... His ceiling is so high.

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:06 - May 1 with 1211 viewsITFCBlues

I think there will be 8-10 new signings in all honesty. We will keep the core, but there will be a turnover of the fringe players I suspect. A lot are already out of contract (Ball, Aluko, Donacien, Jackson) and you can see us moving on the likes of Harness. That combined with the loan players leaving will leave us with 8+ players needed.

We need to add physicality, pace and power really. We unfortunately wouldn't be able to have Mass and Morsy operating in CM. They just wouldn't have the mobility.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Login to get fewer ads

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:10 - May 1 with 1148 viewsSwansea_Blue

He’ll do what’s needed. He’s shown that already with those players let go who were a key part of last season (Freddie, etc). I suspect he’ll look to build on what we’ve got rather than wholesale changes, but that depends on funds.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:10 - May 1 with 1155 viewscaptainfantastic

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:06 - May 1 by ITFCBlues

I think there will be 8-10 new signings in all honesty. We will keep the core, but there will be a turnover of the fringe players I suspect. A lot are already out of contract (Ball, Aluko, Donacien, Jackson) and you can see us moving on the likes of Harness. That combined with the loan players leaving will leave us with 8+ players needed.

We need to add physicality, pace and power really. We unfortunately wouldn't be able to have Mass and Morsy operating in CM. They just wouldn't have the mobility.

Who can you see keeping their place in the starting 11?

For me:

Hladky (maybe)
Davis
Burgess
Morsy
Burns
Hirst

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:11 - May 1 with 1138 viewsTheBoyBlue

Let's get there first!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:12 - May 1 with 1125 viewsjayessess

Think this is the wrong way round really. Unless you are Nottingham Forest, the key to a successful Premier League season isn't sacking off your promotion squad, it's finding that handful of big players who really elevate your squad into something else. Of the 15 players Fulham used most often in 2022-23, 10 played for them in the Championship. Bournemouth it was 11/15.

They had successful seasons because their recruitment was concentrated but really good, so Fulham brought in Palhinha, Willian, Pereira, Diop and Bournemouth got in Tavernier, Semenyo and Neto. That's the crucial (and hard) bit, much more than getting rid of players.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:12 - May 1 with 1132 viewsSteve_M

It's been evolution in every transfer window under McK, that continues perhaps at an accelerated rate.

Only gobsh1te managers trying to hide their own failings come out with rubbish like 'demolition man'.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:18 - May 1 with 1053 viewsMrPorterloo

I'd honestly like to keep the core of the team the same. Not just because they deserve it, but because we are playing better than the sum of our parts because we play so well as team. Strength in depth, turn some loans permanent, and maybe a couple of positions need an upgrade but as above for the most part.
Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:22 - May 1 with 989 viewsgordon

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:54 - May 1 by Herbivore

Yeah - I think from the 25 man squad if you take out Jackson, Donacien, Aluko, Harness, Ball, Williams, Moore, Travis (hopefully we try to sign Sarmiento and Hutchinson) that's eight spaces - and you'd expect that a decent chunk of the replacements would be first 11 players.

Maybe Luongo and Edmundson would be two who might leave and might not depending on how much they like it here, and how much they want first team football. Maybe Al-Hamadi, Humphreys and Baggott would get lower Championship team loans.

But wholesale change for the sake of change is pointless, and our great strength over the last two years has been team spirit, identity, togetherness.
Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:31 - May 1 with 920 viewsdavblue

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:12 - May 1 by Steve_M

It's been evolution in every transfer window under McK, that continues perhaps at an accelerated rate.

Only gobsh1te managers trying to hide their own failings come out with rubbish like 'demolition man'.

i think whatever league we are in, the team will need some rejuvenation, the core of the group has been together for 3 years and you very seldom get much longer than 3 or 4 years out of the same group of players.

They've nearly given everything for us with one last step to go. I will be sad if and when this group gets split up because i couldn't be prouder of a group with how they've represented us and performed for us and the club.
Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:49 - May 1 with 793 viewsGarv

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:10 - May 1 by captainfantastic

Who can you see keeping their place in the starting 11?

For me:

Hladky (maybe)
Davis
Burgess
Morsy
Burns
Hirst

Axel? Recent PL player and only 26, surely worth a go if fitness remains okay? Thought he was very good again last night.

Woolfenden also has a shout.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:56 - May 1 with 741 viewsVic

No way will he be the demolition man. I’m expecting it to be more of a rotation - so most of the fringe players will be let go and replaced by improvements on current first teasers, who will then become the ressies and fringe players.

It will be sad to see players we’ve come to love over the last 3 years go, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see significant upgrades in the defence (in my opinion this is where most work needs to be done) so Fridge and Clarke could see game time limited to crisis time only. Mass will be on the bench, and quite possibly Hirst and Chappers too.

Really hope we’ll sign Hutch, but the other loaners will all need replacing, and I expect thier replacements will be ready made Prem standard permanent.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:59 - May 1 with 723 viewsSteve_M

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:31 - May 1 by davblue

i think whatever league we are in, the team will need some rejuvenation, the core of the group has been together for 3 years and you very seldom get much longer than 3 or 4 years out of the same group of players.

They've nearly given everything for us with one last step to go. I will be sad if and when this group gets split up because i couldn't be prouder of a group with how they've represented us and performed for us and the club.

Yeah, neither Morsy or Luongo have the legs to dominate in the Premier like they have, at their best, this season and we would have been upgrading the level of quality amongst the wider squad (Jackson, Harness etc) regardless of division.

We're a much more attractive proposition for players than a year ago, and the same would apply if we are still in the Championship, so think that helps with recruitment too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 09:05 - May 1 with 660 viewsITFC_Forever

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 07:52 - May 1 by captainfantastic

For many of them, and they will know it, after Saturday the journey is over. And they will know it deep down.

But they have all certainly played their part at some point along the way.

Yes, and if we take the final step on Saturday, this group of players will go down in the history of our club, and whatever happens in their careers thereafter, they will always be fondly remembered at Ipswich, and hopefully they will look back on their time with us equally fondly.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 09:07 - May 1 with 613 viewschicoazul

None of this talk until Saturday night please lads

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 09:09 - May 1 with 576 viewsWacko

Kieran McKenna - Demolition Man? on 08:01 - May 1 by captainfantastic

He would likely be available. With them having invested so much in Mudryk & also Madueke getting minutes.

It would fit our investment strategy of a player we could improve and potentially command a bigger fee later down the line... His ceiling is so high.

He has interest from abroad so my only worry is that he does a Nathan Tella (which to be fair was an excellent decision)

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024