Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game changer 09:38 - Apr 26 with 1214 viewsDJR

This is not a criticism of our owners because the expression has a sporting origin, but am I the only one to be irritated by the constant use of the expression game changer, which was used on the BBC news today to describe the new melanoma treatment?

If nothing else it breaks one of Orwell's six rules for writing clear and tight prose.

"Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent."
Game changer on 09:43 - Apr 26 with 1147 viewsJ2BLUE

Can't think of anything less irritating than game changing health breakthroughs!

I don't mind the phrase, although I will probably notice it everywhere now you've mentioned it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Game changer on 09:47 - Apr 26 with 1120 viewsfooters

I wouldn't let it worry you.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Game changer on 09:52 - Apr 26 with 1098 viewsDJR

Game changer on 09:47 - Apr 26 by footers

I wouldn't let it worry you.

I notice I am not alone, and part of my concern is that a PR jargon word is now being used regularly in BBC news bulletins, but it doesn't keep me awake at night.

https://www.prweek.com/article/1421739/why-i-hate-use-phrase-game-changer-press-
[Post edited 26 Apr 10:50]
Game changer on 10:38 - Apr 26 with 975 viewsChurchman

I’m never sure whether words and phrases that become fashionable are fun or irritating.

I guess language is ever changing and probably should.
Game changer on 12:52 - Apr 26 with 791 viewsElephantintheRoom

Particularly irritating considering the other game that used to be played out (or maybe still is) around Portman Road.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Game changer on 12:56 - Apr 26 with 781 viewsPhilTWTD

Game changer on 09:43 - Apr 26 by J2BLUE

Can't think of anything less irritating than game changing health breakthroughs!

I don't mind the phrase, although I will probably notice it everywhere now you've mentioned it.

I personally don't care about medical developments regarding grouse or partridges.
Game changer on 13:00 - Apr 26 with 763 viewsKropotkin123

Copy that, bit of a faux pas. Henceforth, I shall eschew the utilization of an augmented capacity for the deployment of convoluted vernacular. I'll streamline and optimise my use of jargon so stakeholders can leverage a clearer semantic network.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Game changer on 13:04 - Apr 26 with 744 viewsfooters

Game changer on 12:56 - Apr 26 by PhilTWTD

I personally don't care about medical developments regarding grouse or partridges.

I found out last week that pheasants are so daft and walk into traffic etc because they're bred in captivity for the sole purpose of hunting. Any of the ones that don't get shot or ripped up by dogs on the first run just walk about like twazzocks. If they survive until the next shooting season, then they're up for grabs again. But by that time they've learnt the green cross code if still alive.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Good lord. (n/t) on 13:04 - Apr 26 with 727 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Game changer on 13:14 - Apr 26 with 657 viewsblueasfook

Took me 22 minutes and 33 seconds to get that

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Count yourself lucky.... on 13:20 - Apr 26 with 626 viewsBloots

Game changer on 13:14 - Apr 26 by blueasfook

Took me 22 minutes and 33 seconds to get that

....I got it straight away.

I've had to live with it longer.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Game changer on 13:55 - Apr 26 with 520 viewsfarkenhell

Newspeak innit.
Game changer on 14:14 - Apr 26 with 468 viewsSwansea_Blue

If ever someone deserved a whack on the bonce with their own ban hammer
[Post edited 26 Apr 14:14]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024