Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries 10:22 - Apr 25 with 935 viewsStokieBlue

A possibly little considered effect of climate change and the warming of Europe is the introduction of mosquito borne disease into regions where historically it wasn't an issue.

As it stands it looks like the Asian Tiger mosquito which is a carrier of Dengue Fever is now established in many regions of Europe:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/apr/25/mosquito-borne-diseases-spre

"Dengue used to be primarily found in tropical and subtropical regions, as freezing overnight temperatures kill the insect’s larvae and eggs. Longer hot seasons and less frequent frosts have meant it has become the fastest-spreading mosquito-borne viral disease in the world, and it is taking hold in Europe.

The Asian tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus), carries dengue fever and has become established in 13 European countries as of 2023: Italy, France, Spain, Malta, Monaco, San Marino, Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Greece and Portugal."

Given the changing climate in Europe these migrations of insects from traditionally warmer climates is only likely to increase along with the risk of mosquito borne diseases becoming commonplace in Europe.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 11:46 - Apr 25 with 841 viewsearlsgreenblue

Nasty little blighters, we have had an almost year round (comes & goes) problem with Aedes aegypti
the yellow fever mosquito, easily indentified by its black & white markings, not infested but still about all the time & during the day as well unlike some that only show at dusk & night times.
The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 18:09 - Apr 25 with 662 viewseireblue

..coming over here stealing the picnic ruining jobs of our indigenous worker bees..etc..
The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 18:47 - Apr 25 with 631 viewsnoggin

Global warming? It snowed here yesterday 🙄

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 18:56 - Apr 25 with 618 viewsBloomBlue

I'm hopeful global warming will mean we'll soon start to see anteater in the UK. Amazing animals. It will be great to see anteaters freely grazing around Christchurch Park.
The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 19:18 - Apr 25 with 596 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 18:56 - Apr 25 by BloomBlue

I'm hopeful global warming will mean we'll soon start to see anteater in the UK. Amazing animals. It will be great to see anteaters freely grazing around Christchurch Park.

I suppose that would depend on whether their food source is available in the UK. Do you know what they eat?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Elephants.... on 19:19 - Apr 25 with 589 viewsBloots

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 19:18 - Apr 25 by Swansea_Blue

I suppose that would depend on whether their food source is available in the UK. Do you know what they eat?

....or is that Elephanteaters?

I get confused.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 19:29 - Apr 25 with 579 viewsBloomBlue

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 19:18 - Apr 25 by Swansea_Blue

They apparently enjoy eating the Asian Tiger mosquito
The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 19:33 - Apr 25 with 560 viewsblueasfook

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 18:56 - Apr 25 by BloomBlue

I'd like tigers and hippos please

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Login to get fewer ads

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 19:37 - Apr 25 with 531 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 19:33 - Apr 25 by blueasfook

I'd like tigers and hippos please

I'd like more than ten days of sunshine each summer. I can picture a swarm of Asian tiger mosquitos getting as far as Gretna green and turning around again.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 19:42 - Apr 25 with 513 viewsblueasfook

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 19:37 - Apr 25 by GlasgowBlue

I'd like more than ten days of sunshine each summer. I can picture a swarm of Asian tiger mosquitos getting as far as Gretna green and turning around again.

A fact from geography at school always sticks in my mind. It only needs to be like 1or 2 degrees cooler on average in Scotland and glaciers will start to form.

That may not be the case now. That fact is from the 1980s.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 04:22 - Apr 26 with 346 viewsmellowblue

The Asian tiger mosquito is now established in 13 European countries on 19:42 - Apr 25 by blueasfook

A fact from geography at school always sticks in my mind. It only needs to be like 1or 2 degrees cooler on average in Scotland and glaciers will start to form.

That may not be the case now. That fact is from the 1980s.

A fact from my geography lessons from the 1970's was something called the East Anglian Heights which we had to religiously draw on our hand-drawn maps as a big splodge somewhere near the Fens. I've spent the last 50 years trying to find them !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024