Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? 03:20 - Apr 25 with 758 viewsNorfolknWay

Or someone else?

Tough call, but I'm tending towards Gukesh. Maybe he needs to win the world title first though.
Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 05:20 - Apr 25 with 705 viewsMK1

Steven Turner.
Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 07:48 - Apr 25 with 608 viewsHerbivore

Don't they both play games rather than sports?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 08:05 - Apr 25 with 582 viewsStokieBlue

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 07:48 - Apr 25 by Herbivore

Don't they both play games rather than sports?

Chess is a pretty demanding game/sport.

The levels of concentration and stamina required, especially in classical chess is quite surprising. They have heart monitors on players at many tournaments now and they are frequently very high. This article outlines some of the demands but even this is a bit out of date:

https://www.espn.co.uk/espn/story/_/id/27593253/why-grandmasters-magnus-carlsen-

As for Gukesh, great young player but in reality the World Championship is fairly meaningless at the moment given Carlsen can't be bothered to take part.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 08:09 - Apr 25 with 572 viewsHerbivore

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 08:05 - Apr 25 by StokieBlue

Chess is a pretty demanding game/sport.

The levels of concentration and stamina required, especially in classical chess is quite surprising. They have heart monitors on players at many tournaments now and they are frequently very high. This article outlines some of the demands but even this is a bit out of date:

https://www.espn.co.uk/espn/story/_/id/27593253/why-grandmasters-magnus-carlsen-

As for Gukesh, great young player but in reality the World Championship is fairly meaningless at the moment given Carlsen can't be bothered to take part.

SB

Sure but I'm not sure concentration and the physical effects of it of themselves make it a sport. For me it's a game. That's not intended to demean it in any way, I just think it's an odd description of chess to call it a sport.

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 08:18 - Apr 25 with 549 viewsStokieBlue

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 08:09 - Apr 25 by Herbivore

Sure but I'm not sure concentration and the physical effects of it of themselves make it a sport. For me it's a game. That's not intended to demean it in any way, I just think it's an odd description of chess to call it a sport.

I don't think I have formed an opinion on whether it's a sport or a game. I guess there are quite a few things that could be debated in such a way - snooker for instance.

It does lead to the question: "How does one define a sport"?

From the article, burning 6000 calories in one day is pretty physically demanding, much more so than some other things often classified as sports but perhaps being physically demanding isn't a criteria to define a sport.

Chess has had quite the resurgence over the pandemic, the tournaments now can be watched online with analysis from other players and the prize money is pretty hefty - it's pretty interesting even if it might not sound it!

SB

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 08:24 - Apr 25 with 541 viewsHerbivore

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 08:18 - Apr 25 by StokieBlue

I don't think I have formed an opinion on whether it's a sport or a game. I guess there are quite a few things that could be debated in such a way - snooker for instance.

It does lead to the question: "How does one define a sport"?

From the article, burning 6000 calories in one day is pretty physically demanding, much more so than some other things often classified as sports but perhaps being physically demanding isn't a criteria to define a sport.

Chess has had quite the resurgence over the pandemic, the tournaments now can be watched online with analysis from other players and the prize money is pretty hefty - it's pretty interesting even if it might not sound it!

SB

I think for me anything you can play in a pub probably isn't a sport. That's unlikely to ever be an official definition but it's a decent guideline. I know there's a big difference between playing anything for fun and playing it at an elite level but I've played a fair bit of snooker and chess in my youth and was decent enough at both and I never considered myself to be doing a sport in the way I did when I was playing football or cricket or tennis. I don't see games as being of less value either, I just think we shouldn't call everything that people do competitively at a high level a sport.

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 09:11 - Apr 25 with 481 viewssoupytwist

Was going to say Marco Gradoni but he turned 20 last month so doesn't count.
Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 09:20 - Apr 25 with 440 viewsStokieBlue

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 09:11 - Apr 25 by soupytwist

Was going to say Marco Gradoni but he turned 20 last month so doesn't count.

Another interesting one - what makes Sailing a sport whilst Chess is a game?

For the record, both as recognised as sports by the IOC.

I'm not really arguing that Chess should be considered a sport, I am not sure that it should, just trying to work out why some things are considered sports and some things aren't.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 09:24 - Apr 25 with 416 viewsGeoffSentence

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 08:24 - Apr 25 by Herbivore

I think for me anything you can play in a pub probably isn't a sport. That's unlikely to ever be an official definition but it's a decent guideline. I know there's a big difference between playing anything for fun and playing it at an elite level but I've played a fair bit of snooker and chess in my youth and was decent enough at both and I never considered myself to be doing a sport in the way I did when I was playing football or cricket or tennis. I don't see games as being of less value either, I just think we shouldn't call everything that people do competitively at a high level a sport.

We need a new category for those elite competitive games of skill or technique but little to no physical element.

The idea that a darts player could be considered a great sportsman is ludicrous.

Now where would racing drivers fit in this new category? The actual 'sport' is mainly mastering the technique of driving the car, but the top level ones have to be fit to do it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 10:43 - Apr 25 with 339 viewsHerbivore

Greatest Teenage Sportsman Right Now; Littler or Gukesh? on 09:24 - Apr 25 by GeoffSentence

We need a new category for those elite competitive games of skill or technique but little to no physical element.

The idea that a darts player could be considered a great sportsman is ludicrous.

Now where would racing drivers fit in this new category? The actual 'sport' is mainly mastering the technique of driving the car, but the top level ones have to be fit to do it.

It's like so called "e sports", I'm sorry but you're never going to convince me that someone playing FIFA is a sportsman in the way Messi and Morsy are.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024