Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People with young kids 10:13 - Apr 19 with 1500 viewsgtsb1966

Would you let them, do you let them, have a smart phone. 25% of kids aged between 5 and 7 do apparently. Far too young IMHO.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68838029
People with young kids on 20:06 - Apr 19 with 170 viewsMullet

People with young kids on 16:35 - Apr 19 by _clive_baker_

I agree. For me growing up in the 90's mostly without all that was a blessing I think. It's easy to look back with rose tinted glasses but all me and my mates were interested in at 12 / 13 was getting our bikes, up the park playing football until it went dark with the occasional visit to the paper shop for an ice pop and no ability for anyone to get in touch with you, or vice versa. I battle with this now I'm a father to little ones, got to keep up with the times but also try and trust my instincts and protect them from too much of a digital world. It's easy now as they're 3 and 6, I dare say that'll be harder pretty soon.

My first phone was a Nokia brick and even then I was about 14 by the time I got it. It allowed me to call home if I needed I guess, but can't remember ever using it for that. It was mostly used to exchange texts with the girl I fancied at school, but at 10p a pop you weren't wasting them on just anyone and it certainly didn't allow image sharing or internet etc.

Same generation and mine are 3 and 6. They both love time on the iPad, but it's easy to limit. We've just been gifted my BiL PS4 and the eldest has one lego game he is all over so far.

Having seen the damaging gaming and phones do at work, I'm almost worried I'll go full Amish for this and refuse to let them. However, I think for me it's when they go to high school I'll relent.

For practical purposes as much as possible. One thing I do think parents neglect is taking the time to educate themselves and their kids on the dangers. It makes a hell of a difference in my experience.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024