Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My pet hate - Assistant Referees 12:17 - Apr 14 with 884 viewscbower

I can't stand it when they don’t indicate who has got a throw in and then, when the referee makes a decision, point their flag in agreement. Half the time the lino actually has a far better position to make a decision than the referee too!
There, it's off my chest!

bluescouser

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 12:58 - Apr 14 with 786 viewsBluJu

If they've not been able to make the decision, would you rather they guessed?

It's their job to indicate which way the decision has gone, even if it wasn't them making that decision.

It annoys me how many assistants seem to bottle other decisions right in front of them though.
My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:02 - Apr 14 with 773 viewspeterleeblue

I assist in National North.

It's about appearing to go together as a team.
Sometimes that obvious throw in under your nose is not as easy as you think. The assistant always has half an eye on the 2nd last defender at all times.

Ultimately the key is in the word assistant.
Most refs want to lead the way.
My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:08 - Apr 14 with 754 viewspeterleeblue

I assist in National North.

It's about appearing to go together as a team.
Sometimes that obvious throw in under your nose is not as easy as you think. The assistant always has half an eye on the 2nd last defender at all times.

Ultimately the key is in the word assistant.
Most refs want to lead the way.
My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:12 - Apr 14 with 747 viewsVanSaParody

...& even MORE frustrating, is when a player breaks free OBVIOUSLY offside, but lino never flags, so play goes on, RISKING INJURIES, before the flag goes up, regardless of whether the ball ends up in the net or not

WTF is that all about, get the f ckin' flag up the INSTANT they're offside
My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:15 - Apr 14 with 734 viewsPlums

They're often talking about it over the headset. There's more to the pro game than waving flags these days.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:20 - Apr 14 with 726 viewspeterleeblue

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:15 - Apr 14 by Plums

They're often talking about it over the headset. There's more to the pro game than waving flags these days.

Indeed. The pro game has lots of benefits v National North and below.

Regarding offside. The mantra is a late flag is better than an incorrect early one. An early flag will only come if there is a chance ofa collision usually with the goalkeeper.

Also I would encourage most people to use the acronym PIG regarding offside.

PLAY THE BALL
INTERFERE WITH AN OPPONENT
GAIN AN ADVANTAGE - standing in an offside position and taking up brain space for a defender is not in the laws of the game gaining an advantage.
My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:38 - Apr 14 with 666 viewsChurchman

They’ll always be Linos to me. And the ones I’ve seen have mostly been cr@p.

They don’t seem to know the offside rule. It’s from when the ball is kicked, not received ya dopes! They fail to take responsibility if a ref misses something, even if an incident is so close they can smell the Ralgex. They allow for some reason just the opposition players to go marching up the touch line way beyond where the ball went out.

On the upside, plenty of people in the Stalls, including me, have enjoyed dishing out the abuse to them when they’ve got it wrong. I.e. every game
My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:44 - Apr 14 with 651 viewspeterleeblue

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:38 - Apr 14 by Churchman

They’ll always be Linos to me. And the ones I’ve seen have mostly been cr@p.

They don’t seem to know the offside rule. It’s from when the ball is kicked, not received ya dopes! They fail to take responsibility if a ref misses something, even if an incident is so close they can smell the Ralgex. They allow for some reason just the opposition players to go marching up the touch line way beyond where the ball went out.

On the upside, plenty of people in the Stalls, including me, have enjoyed dishing out the abuse to them when they’ve got it wrong. I.e. every game

Officials are panto villains.
Especially when your team plays badly.

Provide the monies worth so fans can get out all their frustrations.

[Post edited 15 Apr 7:57]
Login to get fewer ads

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 14:09 - Apr 14 with 624 viewssmithy69

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:44 - Apr 14 by peterleeblue

Officials are panto villains.
Especially when your team plays badly.

Provide the monies worth so fans can get out all their frustrations.

[Post edited 15 Apr 7:57]

Or be a decent human being - and do neither lol
My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 15:09 - Apr 14 with 559 viewspeterleeblue

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 14:09 - Apr 14 by smithy69

Or be a decent human being - and do neither lol

Agreed!!
My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 15:12 - Apr 14 with 560 viewsNthQldITFC

I was sat on the sideline watching a Sunday league game once and my dog nearly bit the linesman as he ran past, but that's not the kind of thing you're after, is it?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 15:21 - Apr 14 with 544 viewscbower

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 13:12 - Apr 14 by VanSaParody

...& even MORE frustrating, is when a player breaks free OBVIOUSLY offside, but lino never flags, so play goes on, RISKING INJURIES, before the flag goes up, regardless of whether the ball ends up in the net or not

WTF is that all about, get the f ckin' flag up the INSTANT they're offside

That's down to instructions from above but I agree, it's pathetic. I hate what they've done to offside. Think it was Cloughie but I'm open to correction who asserted that if you're on the pitch, then you're influencing the game. If you’re not influencing it, wtf are you doing? Consider that statement in the light of debating whether Szmodics was offside for the disallowed Blackburn goal a couple of weeks back. He was stood two yards infront of Hladky in the 6 yard box and the ball almost hit him yet there was debate about whether he was offside or not!

bluescouser

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 16:20 - Apr 14 with 477 viewsChurchman

My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 15:12 - Apr 14 by NthQldITFC

I was sat on the sideline watching a Sunday league game once and my dog nearly bit the linesman as he ran past, but that's not the kind of thing you're after, is it?

Oh I dunno. A useless Lino being chased up the touch line by an angry dog has certain comedy merits and might help him keep up with play.

Only joking!

But the point here is that officials should be invisible. In other words do their job and do it well. But in the Championship that’s not always the case. Too many make the game about them and are plain poor. If players for example steal twenty yards for a throw in or free kick and the Lino stands there doing nothing, the crowd will let him know. Is there anything wrong with that? I don’t think so.

Same if they miss a stonewall penalty etc. should the crowd politely smile and hope we get the next one? It’s not going to happen.
My pet hate - Assistant Referees on 16:24 - Apr 14 with 464 viewsTresBonne

Mine is foul throws.

Literally in that Liverpool v Palace game I counted 4 alone. There was 3 in our game.

They've given up on giving them!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024