Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
10 things about the GLORY that was Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 00:11 - Apr 3 with 1849 viewsunstableblue

Here we go:

1) ATMOSPHERE: from the get go this was special, you knew that it was ready to go off in ALL stands. Yes the noise dropped from the blues fans when Saints superior players dominated the majority of the first half, but by the end it was a cacophony of blue energy - Pioneer and Sir Alf Upper were as loud as the North.

2) DOWNES and ARIBO: Morsy and Luongo got completely outplayed by the £30m central mid pairing of the Saints. They had greater skill and also pace. And we struggled. But Morsy went up a gear and then came….

3) TAYLOR: I love Luongo but he couldn’t match Saints speed, bite and quality and got error strewn, but then Taylor was introduced and brought a yard more pace, more energy and the eye for some more adventurous ball. Turned it for me.

4) BURGESS: My MOTM, he was immense. Just dominating his penalty box, how many crosses and set plays did he snuff out? And his touch and short passing was class

5) SUPER SUBS: it wasn’t just Taylor who turned it round. Broadhead and Clarke were game changers, changed the dynamic. Hutchison was out of sorts and Axel wasn’t doing enough going forward. Ali struggled in the first half when replacing Moore, brought on so early he couldn’t get into he tempo of the game. Second half he was a nightmare for the Saints - and so unlucky to hit the post. He physically bullied and the ball sticks to his feet - well some of the time.

6) WHINING MARTIN: look Russell Martin we all agree Saints were brilliant at times and dominated for 60mins, and we know you carved out great chances, and yes it was great you kept attacking even after going to ten, and yes a draw would have been fair… but to diminish Town’s performance after the subs?! Come on mate, we were all over you at times and your players lost it. Our chances were just as good. 4-4 perhaps? You made it sound like should have been 0-4.

7) MESSAGE BOARD MADNESS: the Leicester and Saints message boards are a thing to behold!! ‘Ipswich are terrible, how are they up there”, “Ipswich are always rubbish when I see them”, we’ve 5 or 6 bad performances all season!! But I do agree we are “relentless”… and then “they’re going to do it aren’t they?” “7 mins oh sh!t”, “oh nooooooo”!!!

8) THE LIMBS: I have been to many amazing games at Portman Road, none of real note since Burley for me have been that epic in terms of limbs (don’t agree with some referencing Priskin and Arsenal), but the bar has raised under the glorious McKenna… and last night, the crowd and limbs when Jeremy Sarmiento put in away in the 97th minute were ballistic - I can only compare to the Bolton play-off semi that saw us to Wembley.

9) THE UNDERESTIMATED FINISHES: ‘the keeper should have done better with the Leif goal’?!? Errrr no. Even Martin was criticising the keeper in his tirade. Some even suggested it was scuffed. There is an angle from the Saints end… well it shows that the keeper would have been able to join the circus with an ability to catch bullets to have stopped that one. It was a thunderb@stard. And as for Sarmiento… it wasn’t ‘flukey’ it was a remarkable recovery from a fall and a dinked instinctive moment of brilliance.

10) A SEASON OF DARING DO: this team has a boldness and an urge to run towards adversity that is remarkable and I’m now thinking this may be my favourite season as a Town fan - and I was there for the glorious Burley promotion season and Premier triumph. The gap in squad quality between us and the parachutes is ridiculous (and unsustainable) but the fight and the never say die maverick ethos - well it sees us to top in April with P40 W26 D9 L5 and the highest scorers in the league with 85. Drink it in. Celebrate it. And all praise McKenna - our glorious leader.

COYFB

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

10 things about the GLORY that was Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 on 02:27 - Apr 3 with 1675 viewsWacko

Great post. Pablo v Cov, Bent v Wigan and Bent v Sheff Utd were all very limbtastic

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

10 things about the GLORY that was Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 on 07:36 - Apr 3 with 1337 viewsBluespeed225

10 things about the GLORY that was Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 on 02:27 - Apr 3 by Wacko

Great post. Pablo v Cov, Bent v Wigan and Bent v Sheff Utd were all very limbtastic

Those 2 Bent goals were moments all right. Went top V Wigan! We must keep our feet on the ground( sounds like not many did when Jezza scored!) as fans as that 04/5 season went pear shaped not long after! More limbs came at Reading after another Bent goal…..
10 things about the GLORY that was Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 on 08:52 - Apr 3 with 1096 viewsStewart27

10 things about the GLORY that was Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 on 02:27 - Apr 3 by Wacko

Forgot about Bent v Wigan! That was a top 2 clash at the time in which we went top. Scenes.

I don’t think we can underestimate limbs when we score against or beat Norwich. It’s so long that it’s difficult to remember. The 2-0 Friday night and PR game and the Gunn air kick spring to mind.

But Bolton x 2 will take some beating due to the magnitude of the games. One didn’t end so well.
10 things about the GLORY that was Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 on 10:28 - Apr 3 with 907 viewsGuthrum

Chopra in the snow at Coventry. Carlos Edwards at Derby.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

10 things about the GLORY that was Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 on 12:23 - Apr 3 with 761 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Copied from the original post...

Yes the noise dropped from the blues fans when Saints superior players dominated the majority of the first half...

Sadly true, the noise and support dropped when the team most needed it - come on, lets get right behind them at the toughest time to get us across the line.
10 things about the GLORY that was Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 on 18:37 - Apr 3 with 568 viewsunstableblue

10 things about the GLORY that was Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 on 12:23 - Apr 3 by Blue_In_Boston

Copied from the original post...

Yes the noise dropped from the blues fans when Saints superior players dominated the majority of the first half...

Sadly true, the noise and support dropped when the team most needed it - come on, lets get right behind them at the toughest time to get us across the line.

Whilst I agree the fans needed to provide more backing in that 50min spell when he Saints grabbed the game, indeed I am one who often demands more from the PR faithful, it really wasn't completely silent.. or that awful eeeking panic mode when Hladky is passing round the back... with accompanying general moans and groans.

.. the fans where with the boys, they were just a it shell shocked at that gaping gap in quality, numbers and pace in midfield. Southampton where very good. But once the subs came on, and we carved out some real chances and possession it was like a blue touchpaper was lit and from then on.. the support and backing was first class.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024