Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Key thing for me last night 11:03 - Apr 2 with 1707 viewsGuthrum

why we won and they didn't - comes down to fitness and discipline.

For all their talent and physical strength, Southampton started to become quite ragged as the game neared its end. Passes going astray, balls going out, players looking tired, spaces and gaps left in their formation.

As per usual (helped by substitutions) we kept our energy up and system sharp.

Which gave us the opportunities we needed to get the victory.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Key thing for me last night on 11:19 - Apr 2 with 1609 viewscharlie1

The elevated, behind the goal, angle of the winner tells you everything you need to know.

40 games into a tough season, 97th minute, and at the point Sarmiento shoots we have 5 in the opposition box and 3 more within 5 metres of the edge of their box.

We’ll leave others to bemoan our luck, but that’s fitness, coaching, whole squad commitment and a mental attitude throughout the club, on and off the pitch, that just never stops driving us forward.

It’s extremely impressive. Up there with the best I’ve known in 47 years of watching Town.
Key thing for me last night on 11:20 - Apr 2 with 1596 viewsdavblue

i thought they ran Morsy and Luongo like i haven't seen a team do to us all season especially from 15 mins to 60 mins.

Team spirit was deffo a factor, but tactically we had a few adjustments which made a difference 2nd half.
Key thing for me last night on 11:25 - Apr 2 with 1551 viewsDyland

Key thing for me last night on 11:19 - Apr 2 by charlie1

The elevated, behind the goal, angle of the winner tells you everything you need to know.

40 games into a tough season, 97th minute, and at the point Sarmiento shoots we have 5 in the opposition box and 3 more within 5 metres of the edge of their box.

We’ll leave others to bemoan our luck, but that’s fitness, coaching, whole squad commitment and a mental attitude throughout the club, on and off the pitch, that just never stops driving us forward.

It’s extremely impressive. Up there with the best I’ve known in 47 years of watching Town.

"40 games into a tough season, 97th minute, and at the point Sarmiento shoots we have 5 in the opposition box and 3 more within 5 metres of the edge of their box"

Badabing.

You make your own luck, and fortune favours the brave. These fans bemoaning our "luck" are pretty clueless and as I wrote elsewhere, it's a small noisy minority cos most oppo fans are very complimentary about our late points gained stat. Even Huckerby agrees, arf.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Key thing for me last night on 11:29 - Apr 2 with 1514 viewsnrb1985

Key thing for me last night on 11:20 - Apr 2 by davblue

i thought they ran Morsy and Luongo like i haven't seen a team do to us all season especially from 15 mins to 60 mins.

Team spirit was deffo a factor, but tactically we had a few adjustments which made a difference 2nd half.

I was surprised to see Mass start tbh and he did look a bit leggy. To be expected after such a massive effort on Friday though I guess.

Morsy though is just a freak of nature. 31 years old and fasting, was the one breaking forward for the winning attack and the composure to pick out Davis in the 97th minute.

For me the critical bit was digging in just before half time to keep it at 2-1. We looked on the ropes there but dug in well - showed excellent game management I thought.
Key thing for me last night on 11:30 - Apr 2 with 1508 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I get what you are saying but the commentators said Southampton are the best passing side in the division at the start and they promptly gave the ball away cheaply 3 times in the first 5 minutes.

There was a spell from when they equalised until in the second half where they did get their passing game going and looked to be comfortable while we were giving the ball away a lot. Once we got going in the second half they just became very rattled and returned to giving the ball away cheaply and just not looking strong enough.

The other major difference was the referee who gave them a free kick every time they went to ground in the first half. Once he wised up to how easily they were going down in the second half and started not giving everything as a foul it was better (although he did fail to give a lot of blatant fouls from them throughout for some reason).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Key thing for me last night on 11:34 - Apr 2 with 1501 viewsRegencyBlue

The fitness towards the end of games is a big talking point amongst fans of other teams.

According to a few we are on performance enhancing drugs! 🙄
Key thing for me last night on 11:44 - Apr 2 with 1416 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Key thing for me last night on 11:34 - Apr 2 by RegencyBlue

The fitness towards the end of games is a big talking point amongst fans of other teams.

According to a few we are on performance enhancing drugs! 🙄

It was a feature of every season nodge got promoted too. The number of times they were losing with 15 mins or fewer left and went on to win was tiresome.

It is something that doesn't happen in the Premier League. Clearly everyone has elite level fitness in that division but it is an outlier below it. It is great to be run as a top club once again and get some of those details right.

Key thing for me last night on 11:46 - Apr 2 with 1375 viewsSteve_M

Key thing for me last night on 11:29 - Apr 2 by nrb1985

I was surprised to see Mass start tbh and he did look a bit leggy. To be expected after such a massive effort on Friday though I guess.

Morsy though is just a freak of nature. 31 years old and fasting, was the one breaking forward for the winning attack and the composure to pick out Davis in the 97th minute.

For me the critical bit was digging in just before half time to keep it at 2-1. We looked on the ropes there but dug in well - showed excellent game management I thought.

Yep, we were second best from our goal until about the hour mark but we kept it to 1-2. With our record this season, I think everyone knew we had the ability to pull off at least a draw.

Also, Broadhead when he came on was outstanding right from the off.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Key thing for me last night on 12:02 - Apr 2 with 1310 viewspointofblue

Key thing for me last night on 11:30 - Apr 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

I get what you are saying but the commentators said Southampton are the best passing side in the division at the start and they promptly gave the ball away cheaply 3 times in the first 5 minutes.

There was a spell from when they equalised until in the second half where they did get their passing game going and looked to be comfortable while we were giving the ball away a lot. Once we got going in the second half they just became very rattled and returned to giving the ball away cheaply and just not looking strong enough.

The other major difference was the referee who gave them a free kick every time they went to ground in the first half. Once he wised up to how easily they were going down in the second half and started not giving everything as a foul it was better (although he did fail to give a lot of blatant fouls from them throughout for some reason).

Southampton fans seem to think we’re a dirty thuggish side who should have been down to ten. Will have to watch the game back to judge but, watching live, they seemed to go down and expect a free kick every time they were breathed on. If that’s what the Premier League does to you that’s another thing I’m not looking forward to should we go up.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Key thing for me last night on 12:05 - Apr 2 with 1279 viewsSteve_M

Key thing for me last night on 12:02 - Apr 2 by pointofblue

Southampton fans seem to think we’re a dirty thuggish side who should have been down to ten. Will have to watch the game back to judge but, watching live, they seemed to go down and expect a free kick every time they were breathed on. If that’s what the Premier League does to you that’s another thing I’m not looking forward to should we go up.

I was slightly surprised Morsy was booked, but was from behind I suppose. Not sure there was too much else that went in our favour from the officials early on.

Stephens (I think) blocking a run on the right touchline in the first half and not being booked was an outrageous decision.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Key thing for me last night on 12:08 - Apr 2 with 1253 viewstractorboy1978

Key thing for me last night on 12:05 - Apr 2 by Steve_M

I was slightly surprised Morsy was booked, but was from behind I suppose. Not sure there was too much else that went in our favour from the officials early on.

Stephens (I think) blocking a run on the right touchline in the first half and not being booked was an outrageous decision.

The one on Morsy from Downes in the second half was as clear a foul as you will see. He even held him on the ground afterwards whilst they broke away.

I did laugh when I saw suggestions the ref was on our side. He seemed to switch between being pedantic and letting things go throughout the game and it went more in their favour. Although, it probably shouldn't have been a red card as Harwood-Bellis was covering.
Key thing for me last night on 12:12 - Apr 2 with 1228 viewsGlasgowBlue

You forgot the performance enhancing drugs, corrupt officials and season long lucky streak.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Key thing for me last night on 12:19 - Apr 2 with 1184 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Key thing for me last night on 12:08 - Apr 2 by tractorboy1978

The one on Morsy from Downes in the second half was as clear a foul as you will see. He even held him on the ground afterwards whilst they broke away.

I did laugh when I saw suggestions the ref was on our side. He seemed to switch between being pedantic and letting things go throughout the game and it went more in their favour. Although, it probably shouldn't have been a red card as Harwood-Bellis was covering.

Upvoted for all but the last sentence. It was a clear red card. There is no way Harwood-Bellis was going to prevent Davis having a shot one-on-one with the keeper from a position he had already scored from. It was as clear goal-scoring opportunity as you get. I know McAnuff said it was harsh and he is usually spot on with his analysis, but I make him wrong on this one.

Key thing for me last night on 12:22 - Apr 2 with 1149 viewsGlasgowBlue

Key thing for me last night on 12:19 - Apr 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

Upvoted for all but the last sentence. It was a clear red card. There is no way Harwood-Bellis was going to prevent Davis having a shot one-on-one with the keeper from a position he had already scored from. It was as clear goal-scoring opportunity as you get. I know McAnuff said it was harsh and he is usually spot on with his analysis, but I make him wrong on this one.

That was my thought. He was in a shooting position from which he had already scored so that comes into the referees decision.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Key thing for me last night on 12:22 - Apr 2 with 1143 viewspointofblue

Who was the other guy in the studio, alongside McAnuff? He thought it was a red card.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Key thing for me last night on 12:24 - Apr 2 with 1111 viewsdavblue

Key thing for me last night on 12:12 - Apr 2 by GlasgowBlue

You forgot the performance enhancing drugs, corrupt officials and season long lucky streak.

voodoo?
Key thing for me last night on 12:41 - Apr 2 with 1003 viewsGuthrum

Key thing for me last night on 11:44 - Apr 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

It was a feature of every season nodge got promoted too. The number of times they were losing with 15 mins or fewer left and went on to win was tiresome.

It is something that doesn't happen in the Premier League. Clearly everyone has elite level fitness in that division but it is an outlier below it. It is great to be run as a top club once again and get some of those details right.

I said this a long time ago. In L1/the Champ we effectively have a top-end Prem manager and coaches (using those tactics, methods and approach) combined with moving towards a Prem-style back-room, setup and facilities.

Many of the players are not individually Prem-level (based on previous playing career), but the environment allows them to operate far higher personally and as a group.

Perhaps it's McKenna's experience with Youth coaching, but he is able to bring everyone on and improve them, rather than getting frustrated they may not be able to perform as he was used to at ManU (which I suspect was one of Roy Keane's failings).

Key thing for me last night on 12:48 - Apr 2 with 955 viewsPendejo

Kung Fu Panda philosophy
The Present is so called because it is a gift.

As 47 year attendee at PR, this happening and it's now. Nothing will ever eradicate the Robson years from my memory and heart, not 92 or Burley years, but this squad & management are creating wonderful memories.

I have a bruised rib from someone's elbow whilst celebrating that 3rd goal. I
and I'm still buzzing, despite not being able to sleep last night.

This team is special whatever hapoens

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Key thing for me last night on 12:50 - Apr 2 with 937 viewsKieran_Knows

Spot on ... also telling in the 97th minute when that ball went out to Davis from Morsy that Downes didn't even make any sort of an effort to get out to him to close him down, plus Sarmiento was surrounded by about 3 Southampton players, none of which made an effort to tackle/block a shot.

As you say, that's fitness and coaching from our side, and not a lot from Martin and Southampton their end.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Key thing for me last night on 12:56 - Apr 2 with 908 viewsBloomBlue

Parked near Burrell Road yesterday, walked up from there towards the station chatting with some Saints fans who asked for the location of the station hotel.

Chatting as we walked we talked about predictions, we all felt there would be goals, but one Saints fan said 'we'll win if he keeps Aribo on, but if he subs him we'll lose'.
As Martin subbed Aribo I thought hmmmm.
Key thing for me last night on 12:58 - Apr 2 with 887 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

When I saw them all pointing and moaning at each other after our second I was confident that we would win.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Key thing for me last night on 13:00 - Apr 2 with 876 viewsGuthrum

If you freeze the footage at the moment Bree begins to pull him back, Harwood-Bellis is more than a dozen yards away (and behind). No chance he's interfering if Davis had been able to keep running.

It's only as he slows and begins to fall that the Soton man gets anywhere close.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024