Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? 14:21 - Mar 30 with 1837 viewsnodge_blue

The Newcastle lad has planted his foot between Phillips and the ball. hasnt touched the ball. Then gets kicked cos Phillips was in the process of kicking the ball.

I think thats harsh.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:25 - Mar 30 with 1803 viewsKeno

its against West Ham so its fair

(I havent actually seen the incident by the way)

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:26 - Mar 30 with 1794 viewsnodge_blue

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:25 - Mar 30 by Keno

its against West Ham so its fair

(I havent actually seen the incident by the way)

True. Its made for a better game as well cos its now 3-3

Make that 4-3
[Post edited 30 Mar 14:31]

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:31 - Mar 30 with 1769 viewsstonojnr

without VAR, I doubt it, though it would be endlessly debated why it wasnt and wacky decisions by officials notwithstanding, but with VAR it was only ever going to be given, as I dont believe the "intent" enters into it, its a foul, youd give a direct freekick anywhere else on the pitch for it, so its a pen.
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:35 - Mar 30 with 1747 viewsnodge_blue

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:31 - Mar 30 by stonojnr

without VAR, I doubt it, though it would be endlessly debated why it wasnt and wacky decisions by officials notwithstanding, but with VAR it was only ever going to be given, as I dont believe the "intent" enters into it, its a foul, youd give a direct freekick anywhere else on the pitch for it, so its a pen.

But couldnt you argue that in a way Gordon fouled Philips?

By not touching the ball and putting his foot right in front of someone kicking it.
[Post edited 30 Mar 14:37]

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:42 - Mar 30 with 1694 viewsDurovigutum

Never a penalty in a million years. Howard Webb will be apologising to West Ham on Tuesday.
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:43 - Mar 30 with 1691 viewsSimonds92

Awful, awful decision. They genuinely wonder why they get so much abuse? Literally anyone who watches or has played football would tell you its never a penalty, its a foul on Phillips if anything. I'm not sure how much longer we can allow officials to kill our sport.
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:45 - Mar 30 with 1682 viewsnodge_blue

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:42 - Mar 30 by Durovigutum

Never a penalty in a million years. Howard Webb will be apologising to West Ham on Tuesday.

Another thing is that he has done it from behind Phillips. Its like he knows he cant stretch and reach the ball but he knows he can plant his foot in front of Phillips kicking foot.

Clever. But very harsh pen.

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:52 - Mar 30 with 1656 viewsIPSWICHINIO

I initially thought it was a penalty, but having giving it some more thought, Gordon is the one who has committed the foul. The only reason why the penalty was given was because Gordon went down and Phillips didn't.
Login to get fewer ads

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:57 - Mar 30 with 1621 viewsmylittletown

Never a foul.
If anything it is a foul by Gordon who is a particularly slimy cheat.

I believe in the principle of VAR, but decisions like that make me despair.
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:57 - Mar 30 with 1617 viewsWhos_blue

Absolutely terrible decision.
The ref was in the perfect decision to see the incident and rightly didn't give it.
Phillips had already started his natural movement to kick the ball. Gordon just chucks his leg in making no attempt to even make contact with the ball and somehow VAR sees enough in it to give a pen.
Pathetic decision.
We've potentially got this rubbish to look forward to next season.
If that was against us we'd be fuming.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 15:09 - Mar 30 with 1555 viewsgtsb1966

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 15:31 - Mar 30 with 1486 viewsstonojnr

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:35 - Mar 30 by nodge_blue

But couldnt you argue that in a way Gordon fouled Philips?

By not touching the ball and putting his foot right in front of someone kicking it.
[Post edited 30 Mar 14:37]

well I wouldnt have said it was a foul the other way, I think Gordon had just touched the ball even if it was barely minimal contact, before Philips completely kicked through, and he can legitimately attempt to try to win the ball back or block a clearance like that.

you wouldnt expect there to be a free kick given against Gordon in that situation unless he himself fouls Philips in some way, like if he'd stepped on his foot or shoved Philips off balance, but he didnt, he was just challenging for the ball and in the way when Philips foot came through, and smart enough to go down with the contact.

as I said I think in VARless game, the ref doesnt give that, theres enough doubt in it at full speed, in fact I cant remember if the ref blew for that or VAR just told him to pause whilst they checked (equally he could have been relying on VAR to dig himself out of the hole rather than make the decision first)

but VAR will always give those types of penalties because its far more mechanical in its judgements.
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 15:45 - Mar 30 with 1436 viewsGarv

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 15:09 - Mar 30 by gtsb1966

If you think about it that is the most nailed on free kick to the defending side you will probably ever see.

In no way can you say the ball is in Gordon's possession, it's completely Phillip's ball. Gordon literally impedes him.*

But Gordon is the one who falls on the floor pretending to be hurt, so naturally the decision goes to him.

Cheating p*icks. All of them.

*there's even a case for this for the first penalty, Coufal on Gordon (again).

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 15:58 - Mar 30 with 1375 viewsPhilTWTD

Think the fact Phillips kicks Gordon and gets nowhere near the ball trumps anything else. Is an unusual incident but if someone puts themselves between another player and the ball and they get kicked by them, then I think it would be a foul.
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 16:05 - Mar 30 with 1338 viewsstonojnr

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:43 - Mar 30 by Simonds92

Awful, awful decision. They genuinely wonder why they get so much abuse? Literally anyone who watches or has played football would tell you its never a penalty, its a foul on Phillips if anything. I'm not sure how much longer we can allow officials to kill our sport.

you could argue they get abuse because its the type of penalty that only a VAR system would award.

which creates the confusion, how can it be a penalty that VAR awards, but a ref/fan/pundit in realtime wouldnt ? surely the two should align if its the correct decision, right ?

and you could be left watching a game where the ref hasnt awarded a free kick for that kind of challenge all game, which is why we then tend to view those types of incidents as not being a penalty

but then VAR will award the penalty for it because it doesnt take the subjective view. theres no ooh that looks a bit harsh with VAR, or ooh this is a big decision that might change the game, its either penalty or it isnt, and thats the real issue. because it feels like the game is then being officiated differently and either the officials are doing it wrong or VAR is wrong.
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 16:48 - Mar 30 with 1239 viewsSwansea_Blue

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 15:58 - Mar 30 by PhilTWTD

Think the fact Phillips kicks Gordon and gets nowhere near the ball trumps anything else. Is an unusual incident but if someone puts themselves between another player and the ball and they get kicked by them, then I think it would be a foul.

Agreed, although it's less clear here whether Gordon does get in front of him or is just wrapping his leg around, not getting the ball and therefore impeding Phillips' attempt to play the ball - so a foul to West Ham. If Gordon had got his body between Phillips and the ball, then yes 100% a foul/pen.

I'm not sure slowing it down helps - it's the sort of thing I'd want to see in real time. Having VAR doesn't really help much in cases like this imo.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 17:55 - Mar 30 with 1149 viewsberkstractorboy

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 16:48 - Mar 30 by Swansea_Blue

Agreed, although it's less clear here whether Gordon does get in front of him or is just wrapping his leg around, not getting the ball and therefore impeding Phillips' attempt to play the ball - so a foul to West Ham. If Gordon had got his body between Phillips and the ball, then yes 100% a foul/pen.

I'm not sure slowing it down helps - it's the sort of thing I'd want to see in real time. Having VAR doesn't really help much in cases like this imo.

Would like to see the law that says this is a foul.

Never a pen surely as Gordon not touched the ball so I would argue he is obstructing Phillips who is already in motion of clearing. Changed the whole complexion of the game at that point. Onfield you can possibly accept it as the ref is heavily reliant on VAR to correct any mistake but VAR has to overrule that.
[Post edited 30 Mar 18:14]
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 18:40 - Mar 30 with 1090 viewsronnyd

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:57 - Mar 30 by mylittletown

Never a foul.
If anything it is a foul by Gordon who is a particularly slimy cheat.

I believe in the principle of VAR, but decisions like that make me despair.

Up voted mainly for the "slimy cheat" bit.
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 19:11 - Mar 30 with 1046 viewsPhilTWTD

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 16:48 - Mar 30 by Swansea_Blue

Agree, re slow-mo. I can't see that Gordon would be impeding in terms of the law, just putting part of himself in between the other player and the ball. It's unintentional, but hoofing someone like that is a foul.
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 19:41 - Mar 30 with 999 viewsWicklowBlue

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 19:11 - Mar 30 by PhilTWTD

Agree, re slow-mo. I can't see that Gordon would be impeding in terms of the law, just putting part of himself in between the other player and the ball. It's unintentional, but hoofing someone like that is a foul.

Watching the replay, for me the bigger thing is Gordon putting his arms on the other player and impeding, unbalancing if not actually holding him back. No peno for me bit VAR disagreed so it was.
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 20:56 - Mar 30 with 935 viewsellaandred

Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 14:42 - Mar 30 by Durovigutum

Webb awful ref, but not as bad as Clattenburg
Was rhat a penalty in the Newcastle game? on 21:09 - Mar 30 with 908 viewsVaughan8

Thought it at the time, If anything its a foul on Phillips.

Are you telling me if a forward player goes to shoot and a defender put their foot in the way like that, it isn't a freekick for the forward?
[Post edited 30 Mar 21:10]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024