Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much does a football stand cost? 09:19 - Mar 25 with 4117 viewsHeathlander

Don't suppose anyone really knows but what would be a likely cost to either knock down and rebuild the Cobbold Stand or develop it similar to Liverpool by building another tear on it. even if that option is viable in the first place?

Sunderland's Stadium apparently cost £16M to build. that sounds ridiculously cheap.
How much does a football stand cost? on 09:26 - Mar 25 with 3115 viewsKeno

My mate Mick the builder from Galway reckons he could knock one up over the summer for a couple a Mill or so and would be happy to re-tarmac Portman Road for nowt

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

How much does a football stand cost? on 09:27 - Mar 25 with 3110 viewsFtnfwest

Depends what you're putting below and behind it in terms of facilities, which with Gamechanger looks like it will be substantial. Just a stand big enough to have an extra tier would be more like £15m even now i suspect, but the sort of construction being talked about which i imagine will have hotel and other facilities could be £80-100m.
Sunderlands was £20-30m i think but nearly 30 years ago now and is largely just stands - you walk round the stadium underneath the stands and its practically open air concourses for the most part.
How much does a football stand cost? on 09:32 - Mar 25 with 3056 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Crystal Palace estimate their new stand to be £150m

There would be no chance of putting another Tier on top of the Cobbold, it just wasn't structurally designed for that.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

How much does a football stand cost? on 09:32 - Mar 25 with 3053 viewsMuncher

How much does a football stand cost? on 09:27 - Mar 25 by Ftnfwest

Depends what you're putting below and behind it in terms of facilities, which with Gamechanger looks like it will be substantial. Just a stand big enough to have an extra tier would be more like £15m even now i suspect, but the sort of construction being talked about which i imagine will have hotel and other facilities could be £80-100m.
Sunderlands was £20-30m i think but nearly 30 years ago now and is largely just stands - you walk round the stadium underneath the stands and its practically open air concourses for the most part.

Liverpool were at £114m for their main stand and £80 for the Anfield Road end stand (albeith that cost likely increased).

The Crystal Palace main stand is due to cost £150m.

Fulham's stand cost £120m and still isn't finished.

We're almost certainly looking at £50m+ for a new Cobbold stand, I'd guess perhaps closer to £60m.
How much does a football stand cost? on 09:40 - Mar 25 with 2996 viewsBasuco

It would largely depend on the ground works required, if the Cobbold foundations are solid and can support the proposed upper section then it will be much cheaper and quicker to develop. Or they could maybe build a "second stand" above the old lower with it's own foundations and support structure. It also depends if the planning authority allow Town to build on part of the now closed Portman Road, or do a "North Stand" and just overhang the road.
How much does a football stand cost? on 09:43 - Mar 25 with 2960 viewsbournemouthblue

How much does a football stand cost? on 09:40 - Mar 25 by Basuco

It would largely depend on the ground works required, if the Cobbold foundations are solid and can support the proposed upper section then it will be much cheaper and quicker to develop. Or they could maybe build a "second stand" above the old lower with it's own foundations and support structure. It also depends if the planning authority allow Town to build on part of the now closed Portman Road, or do a "North Stand" and just overhang the road.

I don't that is the case though, they're looking at a total rebuild

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

How much does a football stand cost? on 09:54 - Mar 25 with 2906 viewsBasuco

How much does a football stand cost? on 09:43 - Mar 25 by bournemouthblue

I don't that is the case though, they're looking at a total rebuild

OK, but still depends if it is the rebuild from the ground up or foundations and stand.
How much does a football stand cost? on 09:54 - Mar 25 with 2902 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The current plan is to re-align Portman Road into a wide curve to give the space required for a new stand. There should be no need for a tunnel or for an overhang.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

How much does a football stand cost? on 09:58 - Mar 25 with 2879 viewsSitfcB

It’s already been agreed that the club can build outwards and have the space that’s needed as part of that ‘Portman Road master plan’

https://www.twtd.co.uk/amp/news/46829/ibc-unveils-plans-for-portman-road-aquatic

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

How much does a football stand cost? on 10:03 - Mar 25 with 2846 viewsHighgateBlue

Wikipedia says £24m for Sunderland's stadium build cost. That was in the mid 90s, so you can double that for general inflation to give an idea of what that money is worth today. But in reality yes that still sounds unrealistically cheap. I think one has to remember that in our case the new Cobbold Stand would be part of a wider development which would hopefully be bringing in income on non-match days. So it wouldn't genuinely just be the cost of a stand we're talking about. If what is planned is remotely like the CGI that we've seen, I wouldn't be shocked if it cost as much as the new investment figure of £105m.
How much does a football stand cost? on 10:21 - Mar 25 with 2776 viewsGeoffSentence

Depends on precisely what you want, but a brand new two tier stand, with no facilities to speak of, could set you back as little as £64

https://subbuteostadium.com/

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How much does a football stand cost? on 10:31 - Mar 25 with 2709 viewsWeWereZombies

'by building another tear on it'

Oh, the expected misery of immediate relegation from the Premier League...

What expectations of capacity do we have for an extended Portman Road ? I'm guessing towards 40,000 - which doesn't sound unreasonable given current performance and expectations (and makes Luton and Bournemouth look very unambitious.) All well and good if things progress as hoped but what would be the feeling about a quarter full stadium if the unexpected happened and we were languishing near the foot of the second tier without a great manager in a couple of years ?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How much does a football stand cost? on 10:38 - Mar 25 with 2662 viewsSitfcB

I think the new stand will become the new main stand with the changing rooms, tunnel and directors box being in it - plus a load of high end corporate amongst other things that can be used 365 days a year as Ashton has said.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

How much does a football stand cost? on 10:40 - Mar 25 with 2638 viewstextbackup

The price of materials has significantly increased since then, and the wages they’ll be paying.

It’s not like Ashton could get the team to do a few bits to keep the costs down either ‘Wes can you a Connor do a few dump runs to save us a few quid on some grab hire drops’

Doing my extension a couple of years back and the price of the steels shocked me, and you think the entire structure is made up of steels for a stand

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

How much does a football stand cost? on 10:59 - Mar 25 with 2554 viewsWeWereZombies

How much does a football stand cost? on 10:21 - Mar 25 by GeoffSentence

Depends on precisely what you want, but a brand new two tier stand, with no facilities to speak of, could set you back as little as £64

From 'We Need To Talk About Kevin (Bridges)':

'“When we got home on a Saturday after my mum’s home help duties and our trip to the shopping centre, I’d lay the pitch out, put the goals up, sort the advertising boards and make all the other necessary match day preparations and then line Celtic up against whoever they were playing that Saturday.

If I didn’t have a team with the correct colours, I’d tell my mum that it was their new away kit. I don’t think she really gave a shoite but it was a means of justifying the flaw to myself. I was usually meticulous in my attention to details, and maybe it was also a little bit of me hinting that I needed some new teams.

A way of letting her know that if my Subbuteo league were to be taken at all seriously, I’d need more financial backing from the chief investor.'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How much does a football stand cost? on 11:13 - Mar 25 with 2505 viewsOldFart71

Don't see them building another tier on top as the structure is old technology and most likely wouldn't support anything on top. I think it was proposed to look into building up and over as the new stand if a proposed 35-40,000 capacity would have to be twice the size of the current Cobbold. Most likely having corporate boxes half way up. Anfields upgrade cost 80 million and added 7,000 to capacity. I would see redevelopment around 50 million bring the capacity to around 35,000. That would mean 3,500 for away fans, maybe 26,000 season tickets and 5,500 for day tickets.
How much does a football stand cost? on 11:32 - Mar 25 with 2442 viewsRegencyBlue

I think I read that Fulham’s new Riverside stand cost north of £80 million.

Don’t know what that entailed exactly but I can’t imagine a complete rebuild of the Cobbold being much cheaper, if at all.

It will be one hell of an investment if we do it and can’t see anything happening without PL money.
How much does a football stand cost? on 11:45 - Mar 25 with 2366 viewsChurchman

Price list here.

Sorted!

Of course, you can subsidise the cost of your new stand if the old one accidentally gets burned down… I wonder if anyone has thought of that?

Edit: GeoffSentence got there before me!
[Post edited 25 Mar 12:26]
How much does a football stand cost? on 11:46 - Mar 25 with 2363 viewsElderGrizzly

How much does a football stand cost? on 10:38 - Mar 25 by SitfcB

I think the new stand will become the new main stand with the changing rooms, tunnel and directors box being in it - plus a load of high end corporate amongst other things that can be used 365 days a year as Ashton has said.

Indeed.

This will become our 'main' stand with all the bells and whistles that a modern stand can bring. D block used to be the directors box ages ago too didn't it?

The old Co-op stand is poor in terms of facilities for a Championship club, let alone what we hope to be a long-term PL club.
How much does a football stand cost? on 11:58 - Mar 25 with 2300 viewsstonojnr

How much does a football stand cost? on 09:54 - Mar 25 by Cheltenham_Blue

The current plan is to re-align Portman Road into a wide curve to give the space required for a new stand. There should be no need for a tunnel or for an overhang.

its an aspiration, not a plan
How much does a football stand cost? on 12:01 - Mar 25 with 2286 viewsstonojnr

How much does a football stand cost? on 11:45 - Mar 25 by Churchman

Price list here.

Sorted!

Of course, you can subsidise the cost of your new stand if the old one accidentally gets burned down… I wonder if anyone has thought of that?

Edit: GeoffSentence got there before me!
[Post edited 25 Mar 12:26]

if we had a donation jar that for everytime someone started a new thread about rebuilding the Cobbold stand they had to put a quid in it...we'd have probably subsidised the whole thing by now.
How much does a football stand cost? on 12:16 - Mar 25 with 2238 viewsHelp

How much does a football stand cost? on 10:21 - Mar 25 by GeoffSentence

Only 282 seats though
How much does a football stand cost? on 12:26 - Mar 25 with 2189 viewswrightsrightglove

If it’s within the next couple of year I would imagine they’re looking at between £80-£100 million if we’re assuming they’re going to go all out and include new offices, changing rooms, conference facilities, restaurants etc. Cost of materials has massively increased and this would be a very sizeable project. Fingers crossed they ensure the main contractor uses plenty of local contractors to further help the town.
How much does a football stand cost? on 12:32 - Mar 25 with 2149 viewsNthQldITFC

How much does a football stand cost? on 12:01 - Mar 25 by stonojnr

if we had a donation jar that for everytime someone started a new thread about rebuilding the Cobbold stand they had to put a quid in it...we'd have probably subsidised the whole thing by now.

Reminded me of this classic:

(I'm not saying a donation jar and a swear box are the same thing - I'm not that much of a flaming berk.)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How much does a football stand cost? on 12:36 - Mar 25 with 2130 viewsronnyd

How much does a football stand cost? on 09:26 - Mar 25 by Keno

My mate Mick the builder from Galway reckons he could knock one up over the summer for a couple a Mill or so and would be happy to re-tarmac Portman Road for nowt

How about the one built from shipping containers that was used in that stupid summer World Cup. That might save a few bob.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024