Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup 13:33 - Mar 22 with 1409 viewsBlueandTruesince82

If he replaced Southgate, given the attacking talent that would be at his disposable and his ability to get the most put of players

Discuss?

I think he'd have a real good crack at it personally

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:41 - Mar 22 with 1370 viewsSteve_M

You need to consider the different amounts of time that a club and international manager will have with players. They way we play demands far more knowledge and awareness of patterns of play than an international manager has time to impart.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:42 - Mar 22 with 1368 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

Yes quite possibly, but for me, it has to be an Englishman to coach/manage the England team
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:51 - Mar 22 with 1333 viewsBigalhunter

Hmmm, let’s not gift another great manager to the national team.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:51 - Mar 22 with 1330 viewsStokieBlue

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:42 - Mar 22 by muhrensleftfoot

Yes quite possibly, but for me, it has to be an Englishman to coach/manage the England team

Want to expand on why that's the case or shall we make some assumptions?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:54 - Mar 22 with 1312 viewsTheBoyBlue

I think that international management wouldn't suit managers like McKenna and Guardiola as they wouldn't have the time to instill their style and what's expected into their players.

Southgate was an inspired choice as he was already in the system with England, knew the procedure, knew the players and vice versa and to that end it may be someone like Lee Carsley (who I have heard mentioned in relation to the role) who would be the best fit when Southgate goes.

Fans will want a big name with loads of trophies, but as England have discovered with Southgate and us with McKenna, it isn't always the big names who will be the best for the job.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:54 - Mar 22 with 1308 viewsMK1

One day maybe, but they ain't giving it to him any time soon. They will go for Howe/Pottter type.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 14:05 - Mar 22 with 1257 viewsibbleobble

Eddie Howe gets a crack first. Jose has been touted to replace Southgate although I think everyone’s just about had their fill of him by now.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 14:09 - Mar 22 with 1240 viewsTractorCam

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 14:05 - Mar 22 by ibbleobble

Eddie Howe gets a crack first. Jose has been touted to replace Southgate although I think everyone’s just about had their fill of him by now.

Can't see why he'd leave the richest club in the world, unless he was sacked.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Login to get fewer ads

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 14:10 - Mar 22 with 1236 viewsWeWereZombies

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:54 - Mar 22 by TheBoyBlue

I think that international management wouldn't suit managers like McKenna and Guardiola as they wouldn't have the time to instill their style and what's expected into their players.

Southgate was an inspired choice as he was already in the system with England, knew the procedure, knew the players and vice versa and to that end it may be someone like Lee Carsley (who I have heard mentioned in relation to the role) who would be the best fit when Southgate goes.

Fans will want a big name with loads of trophies, but as England have discovered with Southgate and us with McKenna, it isn't always the big names who will be the best for the job.

See also the remarkable job that Steve Clarke is doing with a Scotland team that doesn't have too many superstars.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 14:12 - Mar 22 with 1228 views_clive_baker_

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:41 - Mar 22 by Steve_M

You need to consider the different amounts of time that a club and international manager will have with players. They way we play demands far more knowledge and awareness of patterns of play than an international manager has time to impart.

This is a very valid point, as well as the receptiveness of top tier players. I can imagine a squad like ours that were middling in L1 were much more receptive to McKenna in the first instance than an elite group of ego's who would view him as a guy that's never managed above the Championship.

McKenna isn't just tactically aware, he's very emotionally intelligent too. It was quite evident when he joined and his first few interviews and fan forum etc he was 'name dropping' a little bit, referencing his time at United, which some dismissed as 'smarmy', but it always seemed very considered to me in terms of demonstrating his readiness and credentials for the job and getting everyone on the side of a guy who otherwise had no experience as a #1. You can imagine the likes of Chaplin and Burns on the training ground hanging on his every word when the occasional 'Ronaldo would always work on X' was dropped into conversation. They must've been fascinated and thinking 'this is someone we can learn from, he knows what great looks like'.

Of course you can overdo it if you're not careful, but those subtle reminders and references must've gone a long way to getting the buy in of the squad (and fans to a degree) and cultivating that culture and appetite to learn and develop.

The extent to which he could reference Gassan Ahadme when working with Harry Kane probably isn't quite as effective.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 14:17 - Mar 22 with 1184 viewsBigalhunter

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 14:09 - Mar 22 by TractorCam

Can't see why he'd leave the richest club in the world, unless he was sacked.

That might well happen. Can’t imagine the owners are happy with the way this season has panned out, with only a Europa Conference spot left to play for.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 14:44 - Mar 22 with 1098 viewsibbleobble

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 14:17 - Mar 22 by Bigalhunter

That might well happen. Can’t imagine the owners are happy with the way this season has panned out, with only a Europa Conference spot left to play for.

He’s done a good job imo and the many others given the injuries they’ve had , they’re building and operating within the spending limits.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 15:04 - Mar 22 with 1036 viewsHighgateBlue

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:42 - Mar 22 by muhrensleftfoot

How are you going to define Englishman? Given that it's not a legal status, it's pretty hard to work out who would meet that definition.

Does a person have to be born in England? If they are, is that sufficient?

If so, fine. McKenna was born in London.

So what's the problem - his accent?

If he rediscovered his old shooting boots, Southgate could pick him to play for England. But there should be some greater hurdle to surmount as a manager? Why?
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 15:08 - Mar 22 with 1020 viewsusm

Ermm, that's one hell of a leap
Lets not get too carried away
He's good, no doubt about that, but good enough to manage one of the world's best international teams??? And not just manage them but win the World Cup???
Give the bloke a chance.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 16:04 - Mar 22 with 909 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 15:04 - Mar 22 by HighgateBlue

How are you going to define Englishman? Given that it's not a legal status, it's pretty hard to work out who would meet that definition.

If he rediscovered his old shooting boots, Southgate could pick him to play for England. But there should be some greater hurdle to surmount as a manager? Why?

It's a moot point I suppose. I've always assumed he's Northern Irish, but true, just googled him and see that he was born in London. I'm guessing he considers himself to be Northern Irish though & I expect if N Ireland are playing England, as a fan he'd probably want N Ireland to win.
[Post edited 22 Mar 16:05]
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 16:16 - Mar 22 with 869 viewsJ2BLUE

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:51 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

Want to expand on why that's the case or shall we make some assumptions?

SB

I agree with him.

It has always seemed a bit odd to me to have a national team of eligible players but anyone can the manager.

Personally I would prefer an English manager. And a Scottish manager for Scotland. Mexican for Mexico etc etc.

It wouldn't keep me up at night if the next manager isn't English but I can see why people hope they are.

I don't think your reply was called for.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 16:30 - Mar 22 with 818 viewsibbleobble

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 16:16 - Mar 22 by J2BLUE

I agree with him.

It has always seemed a bit odd to me to have a national team of eligible players but anyone can the manager.

Personally I would prefer an English manager. And a Scottish manager for Scotland. Mexican for Mexico etc etc.

It wouldn't keep me up at night if the next manager isn't English but I can see why people hope they are.

I don't think your reply was called for.

Agreed. A national figure head for a national team playing for national recognition, honour and pride always seems a bit odd being led by a foreign national. English manager all the way for me win or lose.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 16:45 - Mar 22 with 772 viewsLinners

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 16:30 - Mar 22 by ibbleobble

Agreed. A national figure head for a national team playing for national recognition, honour and pride always seems a bit odd being led by a foreign national. English manager all the way for me win or lose.

I don't have any major issue with a foreign coach, but no doubt that Southgate being English has gives him a bit of an advantage when it comes to the figurehead stuff. One thing that I have always though about Southgate is that he always feels like a respectable representative of the country, unlike the politicians or some royals.

Not to say that a foreigner couldn't do that - see Sarina Wiegman for example - but I do think it helps.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 18:21 - Mar 22 with 676 viewsibbleobble

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 16:45 - Mar 22 by Linners

I don't have any major issue with a foreign coach, but no doubt that Southgate being English has gives him a bit of an advantage when it comes to the figurehead stuff. One thing that I have always though about Southgate is that he always feels like a respectable representative of the country, unlike the politicians or some royals.

Not to say that a foreigner couldn't do that - see Sarina Wiegman for example - but I do think it helps.

For Southgate it’d be the pinnacle of his career for a foreign national, the pinnacle would likely be managing their own nation, which is why I always find it a little strange.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 18:26 - Mar 22 with 663 viewsBuhrer

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 15:04 - Mar 22 by HighgateBlue

Whether or not its required, it's not at all hard to work it out, you did it really easily in your second line.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 18:30 - Mar 22 with 650 viewsfranz_tyson

He was born in London. Cockney geezer, so it is.
Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 19:52 - Mar 22 with 568 viewsLeaky

Kieran McKenna would probably win England the world cup on 13:41 - Mar 22 by Steve_M

This exactly
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024