Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? 19:47 - Mar 20 with 6811 viewsArnieM

They play Halifax. And there are just 6 games left after tonight's game and I think they're 21 points ahead of next team. Awesome season for them tbh....

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:16 - Mar 22 with 817 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 10:54 - Mar 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

Seriously? That kind of post from you who never admit being wrong?

Or others who won't admit being wrong, I mean your fellow members of Skuse/Chambers brigade as you all had claimed that them two's experience would be vital for us if we wanted to get out of League One.

Cook's problem with pre-Gamechanger squad was (just like Lambert and Hurst) was a player-power. That pair of these despicable weasels Skuse and Chambers (just like Judge, Dozzell, Sears and others) wanted things their way. An easy payday in the Marcus Evans world so no wonder there was no effort on the pitch.

Relegation without a fight followed by a cosy and cushty life in League One.......and lets solely blame Cook and his predecessors, eh? Whereas Skuse, Chambers, Judge, Dozzell, Sears and others remain the sacred cows, eh?

Cook was absolutely right in the way he had kicked them all out of the club. He was forced to make drastic, wholesale changes. Unfortunately for him he failed but the changes were were necessary.

The main point though is start admitting your wrongs first before lecturing others.
[Post edited 22 Mar 10:58]

I agree, it is about the players.

I would suggest that any decent manager can handle 'player power'. That is, by definition, the job of a manager! To manage players. You need the right ones and then to make them gel.

McKenna is a master at this, so far. Burley was excellent until his final year. Royle fantastic. McCarthy very good in his first few years, though not at all at the end. Robson, obviously the ultimate.

When they fail to do this e.g. Hurst, Lambert, Cook, Keane etc. then it all comes tumbling down. Sometimes slowly, sometimes very fast.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:20 - Mar 22 with 804 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:16 - Mar 22 by CBMTOBWMMBG

I would suggest that any decent manager can handle 'player power'. That is, by definition, the job of a manager! To manage players. You need the right ones and then to make them gel.

McKenna is a master at this, so far. Burley was excellent until his final year. Royle fantastic. McCarthy very good in his first few years, though not at all at the end. Robson, obviously the ultimate.

When they fail to do this e.g. Hurst, Lambert, Cook, Keane etc. then it all comes tumbling down. Sometimes slowly, sometimes very fast.

The irony is that Mach also hates McCarthy and thinks he was largely hopeless, yet McCarthy was able to get a tune out of players that were, also according to Mach, basically unmanageable and uncoachable. The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:54 - Mar 22 with 753 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:12 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

Blah, blah, deranged rant about Skuse and Chambers, blah, blah.

Blah, blah, blah your deranged rants about Cook.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 12:23 - Mar 22 with 735 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:54 - Mar 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

Blah, blah, blah your deranged rants about Cook.

It's not deranged to say Cook was a hopeless manager at Town, that's why he got sacked after 9 months with us well adrift of the play offs (i.e. in a worse league position than we were in when he took charge of our apparent no hopers the previous season). I think the majority would agree that he did a very bad job here. However, your painting of Skuse and Chambers as not caring and being poor professionals who created a toxic dressing room is utterly bonkers and you won't find many sensible Town fans who share that view with you.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 12:57 - Mar 22 with 695 viewspennblue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 08:35 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

There are a few posters who still can't admit they were wrong over Cook it seems. They'll probably claim that Cook got sacked just as the squad has gelled which is why McKenna was able to hit the ground running. We took 7 points from Cook's last 6 games, there was certainly very little evidence he was getting them to gel.

I think you are missing the point. McKenna was clearly an improvement on Cook, but the point is Cook did not have much time with his newly assembled squad, Morsy did not play until September for starters, Paul Cook was sacked on 6 Dec. So that is that 3 months, its not a long time. He did bring in some fantastic individuals too, so to just broad brush his time here as a total failure is just really unfair.

McKenna has done an amazing job, I don't think anyone is disputing that fact.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 13:00 - Mar 22 with 690 viewsChurchman

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 10:54 - Mar 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

Seriously? That kind of post from you who never admit being wrong?

Or others who won't admit being wrong, I mean your fellow members of Skuse/Chambers brigade as you all had claimed that them two's experience would be vital for us if we wanted to get out of League One.

Cook's problem with pre-Gamechanger squad was (just like Lambert and Hurst) was a player-power. That pair of these despicable weasels Skuse and Chambers (just like Judge, Dozzell, Sears and others) wanted things their way. An easy payday in the Marcus Evans world so no wonder there was no effort on the pitch.

Relegation without a fight followed by a cosy and cushty life in League One.......and lets solely blame Cook and his predecessors, eh? Whereas Skuse, Chambers, Judge, Dozzell, Sears and others remain the sacred cows, eh?

Cook was absolutely right in the way he had kicked them all out of the club. He was forced to make drastic, wholesale changes. Unfortunately for him he failed but the changes were were necessary.

The main point though is start admitting your wrongs first before lecturing others.
[Post edited 22 Mar 10:58]

Sorry Mach, I can’t agree with your description of Skuse and Chambers as ‘despicable weasels’. That is both rude and unfair. I was no fan of Skuse as a player and thought Chambers time was coming to an end. But I’ve no idea how relationships in the club worked, what the factions or the trouble makers were. Joe is possibly the only one who knows the truth on how the dynamics worked - I can only guess.

There were players who were in my view unprofessional, some who were dysfunctional, others easily led, others plain poor stealing a living in an environment where mediocrity was the objective.

It was Cook’s job to understand who was who, what was what. His job. Who he could use/develop, who had to go. Instead, he sledgehammered the lot. Clear out. It was actually the crude but easy option. But the wrong one because it gave us no chance whatsoever of getting out of the p£ss poor league that season.

Yes, Cook has an eye for a player. Had success. A good manager Probably a nice bloke and a good laugh over a few beers too. But for me, everything about him was lower league and he just looked a poor fit who came across as more desperate by the week. He had to go.

There are no sacred cows. The players have to take their share of responsibility for their mess of performances, especially the seasoned pros. Lambert was a truly awful. No idea. Hurst. A farce of an appointment. But that was Evans and his hapless ownership. Cook had an opportunity to change all that.

To suggest his wrecking ball approach was the only way was is in my view wrong. Change was inevitable, most of the squad had to go but the way he did it?
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:15 - Mar 22 with 629 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 13:00 - Mar 22 by Churchman

Sorry Mach, I can’t agree with your description of Skuse and Chambers as ‘despicable weasels’. That is both rude and unfair. I was no fan of Skuse as a player and thought Chambers time was coming to an end. But I’ve no idea how relationships in the club worked, what the factions or the trouble makers were. Joe is possibly the only one who knows the truth on how the dynamics worked - I can only guess.

There were players who were in my view unprofessional, some who were dysfunctional, others easily led, others plain poor stealing a living in an environment where mediocrity was the objective.

It was Cook’s job to understand who was who, what was what. His job. Who he could use/develop, who had to go. Instead, he sledgehammered the lot. Clear out. It was actually the crude but easy option. But the wrong one because it gave us no chance whatsoever of getting out of the p£ss poor league that season.

Yes, Cook has an eye for a player. Had success. A good manager Probably a nice bloke and a good laugh over a few beers too. But for me, everything about him was lower league and he just looked a poor fit who came across as more desperate by the week. He had to go.

There are no sacred cows. The players have to take their share of responsibility for their mess of performances, especially the seasoned pros. Lambert was a truly awful. No idea. Hurst. A farce of an appointment. But that was Evans and his hapless ownership. Cook had an opportunity to change all that.

To suggest his wrecking ball approach was the only way was is in my view wrong. Change was inevitable, most of the squad had to go but the way he did it?

Yes, there are sacred cows for some of our fans. That's the players between 2018-2021 (most of them).

As you said they had to take their share of responsibility for their mess of performances but they didn't. Their best performances (particularly from Skuse and Chambers) had a place in their countless interviews where they kept waffling about the commitment and desire.

You can blame Cook/Lambert/Hurst as long as you wish for their poor tactics/set ups but you don't coach desire or professional attitude. The latter is the players' responsibility and we got a pain and horrible times from them. They are the part of the worst ever Ipswich team in terms of results and attitude yet some people venerate them like heroes. Like heroes.....for the worst ever times in the history of the club. So easy for these people to play 'lets blame managers' game and don't slate the players as they are sacred cows particularly Skuse and Chambers.

Lets mention others too......Alan Judge claiming that 0-0 at Rochdale was a good result.....or Andre Dozzell saying that Ipswich was his 'comfortable zone'............Horrible mob, the worst ever Ipswich team, ever in all aspects.

Agree that Cook had to go for struggling to get going with the players he signed but he was absolutely spot on with the way he had kicked out their predecessors. You claim it is crude. It isn't. They deserved that for letting him down and us for their attitude in the previous years. That was a nice and easy payday for them as Evans didn't demand anything. They didn't play for the shirt, the Ipswich world under Evans was lax for them.
[Post edited 22 Mar 14:32]
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:20 - Mar 22 with 606 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:20 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

The irony is that Mach also hates McCarthy and thinks he was largely hopeless, yet McCarthy was able to get a tune out of players that were, also according to Mach, basically unmanageable and uncoachable. The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.

If he was able to get out of players why was Portman Road more than half empty? To get the tune by how? Hoof it up as far as possible?

All of that with alienating the fanbase, making the place so toxic, insulting and belittling our fanbase plus making derogatory comments. He had no respect for ITFC at all, is it what you love him for? For insulting the club? You aren't an ITFC fan then.

The man who is successfully getting the tune out of players is McKenna. We shouldn't be we are on paper. To compete with Leeds, Leicester, Southampton? With the bit of courage anything can be done.
Login to get fewer ads

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:22 - Mar 22 with 603 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 12:57 - Mar 22 by pennblue

I think you are missing the point. McKenna was clearly an improvement on Cook, but the point is Cook did not have much time with his newly assembled squad, Morsy did not play until September for starters, Paul Cook was sacked on 6 Dec. So that is that 3 months, its not a long time. He did bring in some fantastic individuals too, so to just broad brush his time here as a total failure is just really unfair.

It was a total failure. And it's not like we were having to play donkeys in CM before Morsy arrived, we'd already assembled a very expensive and very deep squad. By the time he was sacked he was already talking about needing a load more signings to replace those he'd brought in over the summer. He was hopeless.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:23 - Mar 22 with 596 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:16 - Mar 22 by CBMTOBWMMBG

Antonio Conte is an extremely successful manager. He couldn't handle a player power at Tottenham though.

Players should be receving consequences for their poor performances too. So, so easy to blame the managers nowadays. In any other aspect of life it's an employee who is disciplined for bad thing not the manager.

Hurst/Lambert/Cook ..... Ipswich was just a graveyard for them.
[Post edited 22 Mar 14:26]
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:27 - Mar 22 with 580 viewsBiGDonnie

Yeah, but that doesn't explain why Woolfenden is so rubbish does it ARNIEEEEEEEEEEE

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:28 - Mar 22 with 578 viewsBiGDonnie

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 19:51 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

Nice to see that he's found his level.

Ha! I refrained from reading this thread because, well, Arnie.

They'll be relegated next season.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:30 - Mar 22 with 571 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:22 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

It was a total failure. And it's not like we were having to play donkeys in CM before Morsy arrived, we'd already assembled a very expensive and very deep squad. By the time he was sacked he was already talking about needing a load more signings to replace those he'd brought in over the summer. He was hopeless.

'By the time he was sacked he was already talking about needing a load more signings to replace those he'd brought in over the summer. He was hopeless'.

Talking ......Skuse and Chambers used to waffle a lot of crap in their countless interviews to keep you clapping and thinking they were good professionals. They were hopeless, they were horrible. They took us down without a fight and subsequently carried a cosy life in League One.

Double standards when it comes to the waffling in the interviews, eh?
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:30 - Mar 22 with 576 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:20 - Mar 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

If he was able to get out of players why was Portman Road more than half empty? To get the tune by how? Hoof it up as far as possible?

All of that with alienating the fanbase, making the place so toxic, insulting and belittling our fanbase plus making derogatory comments. He had no respect for ITFC at all, is it what you love him for? For insulting the club? You aren't an ITFC fan then.

The man who is successfully getting the tune out of players is McKenna. We shouldn't be we are on paper. To compete with Leeds, Leicester, Southampton? With the bit of courage anything can be done.

Yes, Mach, I respect the job McCarthy did here because he "had no respect for ITFC at all". That's definitely the reason why I respect the work he did here. You're not at all barmy, honestly.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:30 - Mar 22 with 569 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:30 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

Yes, Mach, I respect the job McCarthy did here because he "had no respect for ITFC at all". That's definitely the reason why I respect the work he did here. You're not at all barmy, honestly.

Oh yeah tell us he loved the club.

Respect his work.....hahahahahahhhaaha.

You said his next club after leaving us was gonna be lucky to have him. How lucky APOEL, Cardiff and Blackpool were, eh?

[Post edited 22 Mar 14:34]
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:38 - Mar 22 with 545 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:30 - Mar 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

'By the time he was sacked he was already talking about needing a load more signings to replace those he'd brought in over the summer. He was hopeless'.

Talking ......Skuse and Chambers used to waffle a lot of crap in their countless interviews to keep you clapping and thinking they were good professionals. They were hopeless, they were horrible. They took us down without a fight and subsequently carried a cosy life in League One.

Double standards when it comes to the waffling in the interviews, eh?

Ffs

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:40 - Mar 22 with 542 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:30 - Mar 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

Oh yeah tell us he loved the club.

Respect his work.....hahahahahahhhaaha.

You said his next club after leaving us was gonna be lucky to have him. How lucky APOEL, Cardiff and Blackpool were, eh?

[Post edited 22 Mar 14:34]

Why are you laughing like a madman? Most of our fans respect the job McCarthy did here, even if they weren't fans of his football. You have a bizarre hatred of people who gave the club decent service despite their limitations whilst getting really pissy when people criticise hopeless clowns like Lambert and Cook. It's very weird.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:40 - Mar 22 with 540 viewsitfcjoe

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 22:35 - Mar 21 by BlueBoots

"He didn't need to go demolition man at all"

Really? List of players released that summer...out of interest, who would you have liked to have seen kept on?

Flynn Downes
Andre Dozzell
Stephen Ward
David Cornell
Luke Chambers
Gwion Edwards
Harry Wright
Cole Skuse
James Wilson
Freddie Sears
Alan Judge
Aaron Drinan
Jack Lankester
Oliver Hawkins
Teddy Bishop
Emyr Huws

Out of these though

Ward, Chambers, Edwards, Wright, Skuse, WIlson, Sears, Judge, Hawkins and Huws were out of contract - there was going to be a big clear out regardless.

More care could have been taken over:

Downes, Dozzell, Cornell, Drinan, Lankester and Bishop

As it is we pushed them out the door for whatever fee we could get.

We also stuck Jackson, Kenlock, Dobra and Woolfenden down into the stiffs

And a lot of the replacements, and selling those above used up unnecessary bandwidth when we had so much work to do.

Did we need to sell Bishop and Lankester and replace them with Tom Carroll and Louie Barry? Did we need to lose Dozzell and Downes and replace them with Harper and the like.

Cook's mouth put us in a position that left us too much to do in that window - we didn't need to be in a position where we needed to sign 19 players, it would have been hard enough signing 10-12

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:53 - Mar 22 with 483 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:40 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

Why are you laughing like a madman? Most of our fans respect the job McCarthy did here, even if they weren't fans of his football. You have a bizarre hatred of people who gave the club decent service despite their limitations whilst getting really pissy when people criticise hopeless clowns like Lambert and Cook. It's very weird.

What decent service? To take us down without a fight and carry a cosy life in League One?
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:54 - Mar 22 with 481 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:53 - Mar 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

What decent service? To take us down without a fight and carry a cosy life in League One?

Keep shouting at the pigeons, mate.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:56 - Mar 22 with 466 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:54 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

Keep shouting at the pigeons, mate.

Don't know what you are on about. You don't need to agree with me though. You keep slating Cook/Lambert/Hurst and I keep slating Skuse/Chambers.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 15:28 - Mar 22 with 418 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:56 - Mar 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

Don't know what you are on about. You don't need to agree with me though. You keep slating Cook/Lambert/Hurst and I keep slating Skuse/Chambers.

You do you, hun. But this is a thread about Paul Cook so expressing an opinion about Paul Cook is very much in keeping with the thread in a way that ranting about Chambers and Skuse (and then McCarthy) really isn't.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:31 - Mar 22 with 376 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 15:28 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

You do you, hun. But this is a thread about Paul Cook so expressing an opinion about Paul Cook is very much in keeping with the thread in a way that ranting about Chambers and Skuse (and then McCarthy) really isn't.

Yes, indeed. This is a thread about Cook. A perfect opportunity for you to be waffling some guff about him. Let me know when someone else does rant about Skuse or Chambers so called fAnTaStIc PrOfEsSiOnAlS and I'll will chip in.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:44 - Mar 22 with 352 viewsAlanG296

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 12:57 - Mar 22 by pennblue

Cook was only ever a stopgap, his days were numbered as soon as Gamechanger took over. Ashton and O'Leary were always going to bring in a progressive modern coaching structure and all that involves at the earliest opportunity. Cook deserves credit for what he did. For clearing the club of the remnants of Evans era of mediocrity if nothing else. Wish him well.
[Post edited 22 Mar 16:45]
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:47 - Mar 22 with 343 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:31 - Mar 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

Yes, indeed. This is a thread about Cook. A perfect opportunity for you to be waffling some guff about him. Let me know when someone else does rant about Skuse or Chambers so called fAnTaStIc PrOfEsSiOnAlS and I'll will chip in.

Nobody else does, because nobody else has an irrational hatred of two long serving pros in the way that you do.

My opinion of Cook is not dissimilar to others really, so you must think a lot of people are "waffling guff" when they point out that he was a very poor manager here.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024