Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC Hall of Fame 18:28 - Mar 14 with 2550 viewsMiaow

Seeing sitocastro’s thread made me wonder again about who should be inducted into the club’s Hall of Fame.

This is the current list of all individuals as per prideofanglia.com/Wikipedia:

2007 - John Wark
2007 - Mick Mills
2007 - Ray Crawford
2007 - Ted Phillips
2008 - Frans Thijssen
2008 - Jimmy Leadbetter
2008 - John Elsworthy
2008 - Kevin Beattie
2009 - Allan Hunter
2009 - Arnold Mühren
2009 - Billy Baxter
2009 - George Burley
2009 - Roy Stephenson
2009 - Pat Godbold (Merit Award)
2009 - Bobby Robson (Merit Award)
2010 - Cyril Lea
2010 - Larry Carberry
2010 - Roger Osborne
2010 - Terry Butcher
2010 - Tommy Parker
2010 - John Cobbold (Merit Award)
2011 - Alf Ramsey (Merit Award)
2011 - Andy Nelson
2011 - Doug Moran
2011 - John Compton
2011 - Paul Mariner
2011 - Roy Bailey
2011 - Russell Osman
2012 - Basil Acres
2012 - Eric Gates
2012 - Jimmy Forsyth (Merit Award)
2012 - Trevor Whymark
2013 - Alan Brazil
2013 - Brian Talbot
2013 - Mick Stockwell
2013 - Dale Roberts
2013 - John Kerr (Merit Award)
2013 - David Sheepshanks (Merit Award)
2014 - Bryan Hamilton
2014 - Clive Woods
2014 - Matt Holland
2014 - Paul Cooper
2014 - John Lyall (Merit Award)
2015 - Jason Dozzell
2015 - Mick Lambert
2015 - Bobby Ferguson (Merit Award)
2016 - Colin Harper
2016 - Danny Hegan
2016 - David Johnson (I)
2016 - Tony Mowbray
2016 - Charlie Woods (Merit Award)
2016 - Simon Milton (Merit Award)
2017 - Chris Kiwomya
2017 - Steve McCall
2017 - David Rose (Merit Award)
2018 - Laurie Sivell
2019 - Hermann Hreiðarsson
2019 - Jason de Vos
2022 - David Linighan
2022 - Doug Millward
2022 - Frank Yallop
2022 - Gavin Johnson
2022 - Ken Malcolm
2022 - Kevin O’Callaghan
2022 - Reg Pickett
2023 - Jim Magilton
2023 - Marcus Stewart
2023 - Tom Garneys

https://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=hallOfFameSummary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipswich_Town_F.C._Hall_of_Fame

Which former players (or others involved with the club) do we think ought to be included?

Frank Brogan is our highest goalscorer not to have been inducted, and he was an important member of our promotion-winning team of 1967–68. Colin Viljoen is another who could be included.

Romeo Zondervan played over 300 times for Ipswich, was club captain and was part of the team that won the old Second Division in 1992. Mich d’Avray spent a decade at the club and scored nearly 50 goals — would he be worthy of inclusion?

Then there are players such as Scowcroft, Naylor and Couñago who all played their part, scoring a combined total of 156 goals. And would others such as Doug Rees or perhaps Peter Morris be worthy?

It’ll be interesting to see who else has been selected.

Also, if anyone fancies a laugh... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_City_F.C._Hall_of_Fame

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

ITFC Hall of Fame on 14:01 - Mar 15 with 501 viewshoppy

ITFC Hall of Fame on 23:05 - Mar 14 by Churchman

If they do a Hall of Hobbits he will be top of the list.

I think Jay Tabb is far too often overlooked in things like this.

Maybe he should have a stool or step or something to avoid that happening so much?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

ITFC Hall of Fame on 14:09 - Mar 15 with 482 viewsChurchman

ITFC Hall of Fame on 13:51 - Mar 15 by monty_radio

Seems crazy to be that Ace isn't in there whereas, decent player though he was, O'Callaghan wouldn't even get into my Lobby of Fame.

Incidentally, here's what the EDP has to say while reporting on derby games about a teenage Viljoen:

• February 1968 - Norwich 3 Ipswich 4
A sublime hat-trick from young South African midfielder Colin Viljoen sealed this Carrow Road thriller. The other goal was a collectors' item -- a free-kick from full-back Billy Houghton. Under Bill McGarry, Town were storming to the Second Division title. Viljoen was a key figure for Ipswich for many seasons and played twice for England in the mid-1970s.
[Post edited 15 Mar 13:57]

Kevin O’Callaghan? Me neither. A bit part player at best.

All though gone, somebody who should be given a Merit award is the late Adam Scott Mathieson Duncan - great name but no wonder he just called himself Scott!

Anyway, a key figure in Ipswich Town history. Without him, election to the Football League before the war would have been pretty doubtful. Given the football club didn’t operate during WW2 (on principle - a legacy of its amateur history and the wishes of John ‘Ivan’ Cobbold) Ipswich would undoubtably made it to the football league eventually but it’s illustrious history would have looked a whole lot different.
ITFC Hall of Fame on 14:27 - Mar 15 with 469 viewsmonty_radio

ITFC Hall of Fame on 14:09 - Mar 15 by Churchman

Kevin O’Callaghan? Me neither. A bit part player at best.

All though gone, somebody who should be given a Merit award is the late Adam Scott Mathieson Duncan - great name but no wonder he just called himself Scott!

Anyway, a key figure in Ipswich Town history. Without him, election to the Football League before the war would have been pretty doubtful. Given the football club didn’t operate during WW2 (on principle - a legacy of its amateur history and the wishes of John ‘Ivan’ Cobbold) Ipswich would undoubtably made it to the football league eventually but it’s illustrious history would have looked a whole lot different.

I think O'Callaghan was signed just before our 10 year bubble burst - with Bobby calling him "one for the future" and for the then, princely sum for us of £250k. Sadly, that future never really arrived.

Meanwhile, on the overlooked Colin Viljoen front, note that his teenage hat-trick v Canaries was actually at Carrow Road. Someone on this thread suggested that Mathie should be included, if only for his Derby hat-trick. Ace's feat was while still a teenager, followed by a 10 year dominance of our midfield, a Div 2 championship and two England caps. - all apart from being a Rolls-Royce of a player.

The EDP finish by saying that his career here ended after a fall-out over not being selected for the Cup Final. I hope that there isn't some pettiness lurking around the club that precludes him on account of such a thing.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

ITFC Hall of Fame on 14:33 - Mar 15 with 460 viewsKropotkin123

ITFC Hall of Fame on 19:25 - Mar 14 by Mullet

Luke Chambers and Cole Skuse

You're probably trolling, but just in case, I wouldn't want anyone with relegation to the third tier on their CV on our "hall of fame". That's "hall of shame" stuff.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

ITFC Hall of Fame on 15:21 - Mar 15 with 435 viewswitchdoctor

ITFC Hall of Fame on 13:51 - Mar 15 by monty_radio

Seems crazy to be that Ace isn't in there whereas, decent player though he was, O'Callaghan wouldn't even get into my Lobby of Fame.

Incidentally, here's what the EDP has to say while reporting on derby games about a teenage Viljoen:

• February 1968 - Norwich 3 Ipswich 4
A sublime hat-trick from young South African midfielder Colin Viljoen sealed this Carrow Road thriller. The other goal was a collectors' item -- a free-kick from full-back Billy Houghton. Under Bill McGarry, Town were storming to the Second Division title. Viljoen was a key figure for Ipswich for many seasons and played twice for England in the mid-1970s.
[Post edited 15 Mar 13:57]

I was at that game…he lobbed Keelan twice from distance…
ITFC Hall of Fame on 16:08 - Mar 15 with 412 viewsChurchman

ITFC Hall of Fame on 14:27 - Mar 15 by monty_radio

I think O'Callaghan was signed just before our 10 year bubble burst - with Bobby calling him "one for the future" and for the then, princely sum for us of £250k. Sadly, that future never really arrived.

Meanwhile, on the overlooked Colin Viljoen front, note that his teenage hat-trick v Canaries was actually at Carrow Road. Someone on this thread suggested that Mathie should be included, if only for his Derby hat-trick. Ace's feat was while still a teenager, followed by a 10 year dominance of our midfield, a Div 2 championship and two England caps. - all apart from being a Rolls-Royce of a player.

The EDP finish by saying that his career here ended after a fall-out over not being selected for the Cup Final. I hope that there isn't some pettiness lurking around the club that precludes him on account of such a thing.

Viljoen was a fantastic player for us. Real class and given over 300 appearances over a long period he should be in the HoF. I actually was at the England game at Wembley he played in. A 2-2 draw v Wales. Looking it up, David Johnson 1st also played and scored twice for England.
ITFC Hall of Fame on 17:20 - Mar 15 with 360 viewsMullet

ITFC Hall of Fame on 14:33 - Mar 15 by Kropotkin123

You're probably trolling, but just in case, I wouldn't want anyone with relegation to the third tier on their CV on our "hall of fame". That's "hall of shame" stuff.

Quite the opposite. Two players who gave everything for the club, tried to stop that relegation and deserve nothing but accolades and praise from us.

As much as I hate the third tier and was proved right about it all, I'd also not preclude any of the current lot or McKenna because they represented us there.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

ITFC Hall of Fame on 09:22 - Mar 16 with 252 viewsKropotkin123

ITFC Hall of Fame on 17:20 - Mar 15 by Mullet

Quite the opposite. Two players who gave everything for the club, tried to stop that relegation and deserve nothing but accolades and praise from us.

As much as I hate the third tier and was proved right about it all, I'd also not preclude any of the current lot or McKenna because they represented us there.

Makes no sense as a comparison, McKenna and his players are part of the rise, not the fall.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC Hall of Fame on 13:22 - Mar 16 with 219 viewsMullet

ITFC Hall of Fame on 09:22 - Mar 16 by Kropotkin123

Makes no sense as a comparison, McKenna and his players are part of the rise, not the fall.

Then you really don't understand why we got relegated or how those two did everything to stop it as people applauded and welcomed it.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024