Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Glastonbury 09:15 - Mar 14 with 3742 viewsstickymockwell

You are just another pop festival now with a sprinkling of decent acts.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

RIP Glastonbury on 09:16 - Mar 14 with 2522 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Nonsense, Coldplay are headlining.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

RIP Glastonbury on 09:21 - Mar 14 with 2488 viewsWeWereZombies

At least it isn't on the same weekend as the play-offs:

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-key-dates-announced-ahead-of-202324-season

https://beardedtheory.co.uk/lineup/

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

RIP Glastonbury on 09:23 - Mar 14 with 2479 viewsKeno

Its not dead, its just resting

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

RIP Glastonbury on 09:36 - Mar 14 with 2421 viewsblueislander

That’s a strange remark. There are 2000 acts appearing at Glastonbury. There has to be a few that appeal to everyone, or should they have asked you to select the 2000 that you like best?
RIP Glastonbury on 09:45 - Mar 14 with 2361 viewsRadlett_blue

RIP Glastonbury on 09:36 - Mar 14 by blueislander

That’s a strange remark. There are 2000 acts appearing at Glastonbury. There has to be a few that appeal to everyone, or should they have asked you to select the 2000 that you like best?

Indeed. Dan the Hat, a hopeless juggler from West Sussex whom I saw perform on a cruise ship, will be there.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

RIP Glastonbury on 09:51 - Mar 14 with 2321 viewsblueislander

RIP Glastonbury on 09:45 - Mar 14 by Radlett_blue

Indeed. Dan the Hat, a hopeless juggler from West Sussex whom I saw perform on a cruise ship, will be there.

Talking of cruise ship entertainment, we were on a P&O one in January and the house band were fantastic, doing covers from the 60s to the present day.
RIP Glastonbury on 09:57 - Mar 14 with 2278 viewsKeno

the best Sussex based entertainer has to be attila the stockbroker

RIP Glastonbury on 10:06 - Mar 14 with 2238 viewsBlueForYou

RIP Glastonbury on 09:16 - Mar 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Nonsense, Coldplay are headlining.

Unless you don't like Coldplay! Maybe I'm on my own, but they're a glorified Europop band these days, although do put on a decent show if you like that kind of thing. Not for me though.
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Glastonbury on 10:08 - Mar 14 with 2223 viewsWeWereZombies

RIP Glastonbury on 09:57 - Mar 14 by Keno

And he is playing Bearded Theory this year. Saw him at FolkEast a few years back and he was different to what I expected. Also going to be interesting to see Steve Davis in the new dance tent.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

RIP Glastonbury on 10:23 - Mar 14 with 2147 viewsstickymockwell

Nah!
It should be a hippy/rock festival attracting a certain type of music goer and band. It would be like Megadeath headlining the cambridge folk festival. The people wouldn't be happy.
Putting the likes of Coldplay, Dua lipa and shania twain on the main stage is like any other 2 bob festival. It had a style and presence thats not there anymore. I did say that there are some decent acts.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

RIP Glastonbury on 10:26 - Mar 14 with 2120 viewsGuthrum

That has always been the thing at Glasto. There are so many stages, tents and other venues (plus stuff just happening out in the open) that if you don't fancy what's on where you are, just walk a few minutes and something better is sure to be available.

Some of my best times in the years I volunteered there were at the Bandstand and at Croissant Neuf. Not to mention sometimes fascinating stuff in the Green Crafts field.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

RIP Glastonbury on 10:27 - Mar 14 with 2111 viewsMeadowlark

RIP Glastonbury on 09:57 - Mar 14 by Keno

Saw him in Lowestoft a few months back. Excellent evening!
RIP Glastonbury on 10:28 - Mar 14 with 2101 viewsblueislander

RIP Glastonbury on 10:23 - Mar 14 by stickymockwell

Nah!
It should be a hippy/rock festival attracting a certain type of music goer and band. It would be like Megadeath headlining the cambridge folk festival. The people wouldn't be happy.
Putting the likes of Coldplay, Dua lipa and shania twain on the main stage is like any other 2 bob festival. It had a style and presence thats not there anymore. I did say that there are some decent acts.

You are harking back to the 60s and 70s, and I would be right there with you, but Glastonbury has moved on . The fact that it is totally sold out before the acts are announced would suggest that , commercially, they have got it right. I am sure there are acts echoing the 60s and 70s appearing.
RIP Glastonbury on 10:31 - Mar 14 with 2084 viewsRozz

Nah!

You're about 40 years behind the curve here.
[Post edited 14 Mar 10:31]
RIP Glastonbury on 10:32 - Mar 14 with 2074 viewsMeadowlark

Doesn't look too bad!
RIP Glastonbury on 10:32 - Mar 14 with 2076 viewsGuthrum

Nah!

One thing which does disappoint was that they never used to announce the bands before tickets were sold. The whole point was that you were buying into the festival, not specific artistes.

As for Coldplay, they were there 20 or so years ago when I was working on New Bands (later John Peel). No memory of them whatsoever.

RIP Glastonbury on 10:54 - Mar 14 with 1962 viewsRozz

RIP Glastonbury on 10:32 - Mar 14 by Guthrum

One thing which does disappoint was that they never used to announce the bands before tickets were sold. The whole point was that you were buying into the festival, not specific artistes.

As for Coldplay, they were there 20 or so years ago when I was working on New Bands (later John Peel). No memory of them whatsoever.

That's still the case (in the overwhelming main). There's a small resale in April for unpaid balances, to allow for change of plans etc.

In the old days of course you could just move your ticket on. Now they're specific to the individual so it necessitates a resale closer to the festival.
RIP Glastonbury on 10:57 - Mar 14 with 1951 viewsSingBlue

Indeed - I’ve got a ticket and I can’t wait to be there looking at the acts who are playing. Not the main ones, but there are 15+ acts who I really want to see plus another 15+ who I’ll go to if I can and that’s so far….they’ll be plenty more. And all that’s not factoring in just the event itself outside of the music, I’ve been many times and it’s still superb.
RIP Glastonbury on 11:00 - Mar 14 with 1924 viewsKeno

RIP Glastonbury on 10:27 - Mar 14 by Meadowlark

Saw him in Lowestoft a few months back. Excellent evening!

Hes a really nice guy who I met on a few occasions some years back

My only other Sussex based 'claim to fame' is that when I worked for Lloyds I opened a bank account for Peter and the Test Tube Babies.

RIP Glastonbury on 11:05 - Mar 14 with 1893 viewsBlueschev

Nah!

It does annoy me that I now see the same people who called me a greebo and mocked my musical tastes throughout high school posting selfies from "Glasto'" on social media. How dare they hijack alternative culture with their bloody phones, designer wellies and oversized sunglasses!
RIP Glastonbury on 11:13 - Mar 14 with 1861 viewsGuthrum

RIP Glastonbury on 10:54 - Mar 14 by Rozz

That's still the case (in the overwhelming main). There's a small resale in April for unpaid balances, to allow for change of plans etc.

In the old days of course you could just move your ticket on. Now they're specific to the individual so it necessitates a resale closer to the festival.

Yes, that personalisation thing came in while I was still involved, in the wake of Mean Fiddler and the Superfence.

They seem to mention who's headlining prior to the first round of ticket booking nowadays. Which I'm sure they never used to. Tho, of course, the headliners are a tiny fraction of all the bands/acts performing.

RIP Glastonbury on 11:31 - Mar 14 with 1771 viewsRozz

RIP Glastonbury on 11:13 - Mar 14 by Guthrum

Yes, that personalisation thing came in while I was still involved, in the wake of Mean Fiddler and the Superfence.

They seem to mention who's headlining prior to the first round of ticket booking nowadays. Which I'm sure they never used to. Tho, of course, the headliners are a tiny fraction of all the bands/acts performing.

It was noticeably quieter on this front this year, but there's always leaks which I think they have tried to get out in front of on a few occasions.

Just looking back, Elton was officially announced in early December last year, which is very early but still after the ticket sale.

Full lineup poster (the detailed one) is usually released after the resale too IIRC. I think the rumour mill distorts perception slightly, as acts get rumoured as soon as the gates close the year before and some are inevitably correct.
RIP Glastonbury on 11:34 - Mar 14 with 1733 viewsBLUEGOLD

RIP Glastonbury on 10:08 - Mar 14 by WeWereZombies

And he is playing Bearded Theory this year. Saw him at FolkEast a few years back and he was different to what I expected. Also going to be interesting to see Steve Davis in the new dance tent.

The Tea Tent is where it’s at at BT.

Tarantism Disco, Nick Parker, Star Botherers, Abdoujaparov plus the Beardy Keith Memorial Uke Jam all excellent as well as Attila & Mark Thomas
RIP Glastonbury on 11:37 - Mar 14 with 1717 viewsRadioOrwell

Yeah because it's been so edgy for so long hasn't it.

(no it hasn't)
RIP Glastonbury on 11:37 - Mar 14 with 1722 viewsHerbivore

It's been a pop festival for the Insta generation for quite a few years now. I'm sure the people who go really enjoy it and commercially it's a huge success. But where's the soul, man?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024