Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Glastonbury 09:15 - Mar 14 with 3867 viewsstickymockwell

You are just another pop festival now with a sprinkling of decent acts.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

RIP Glastonbury on 12:25 - Mar 14 with 919 viewsleitrimblue

RIP Glastonbury on 10:23 - Mar 14 by stickymockwell

Nah!
It should be a hippy/rock festival attracting a certain type of music goer and band. It would be like Megadeath headlining the cambridge folk festival. The people wouldn't be happy.
Putting the likes of Coldplay, Dua lipa and shania twain on the main stage is like any other 2 bob festival. It had a style and presence thats not there anymore. I did say that there are some decent acts.

Since at least the late 90,s it's been to crap for people to even bother jumping the fence let alone pay to get in
RIP Glastonbury on 12:31 - Mar 14 with 900 viewsRozz

RIP Glastonbury on 12:25 - Mar 14 by leitrimblue

Since at least the late 90,s it's been to crap for people to even bother jumping the fence let alone pay to get in

"Last year, about two-and-a-half million people sought tickets for the event at Worthy Farm in Somerset, with just 210,000 available. ....Festival ticket and coach packages sold out in 25 minutes on 16 November."
RIP Glastonbury on 12:33 - Mar 14 with 880 viewsWalkyWonderland

It's become a chav-fest. For the handful of interesting acts on other stages, it makes more sense to go see their own gigs for a lot less money.
RIP Glastonbury on 12:38 - Mar 14 with 850 viewsleitrimblue

RIP Glastonbury on 12:31 - Mar 14 by Rozz

"Last year, about two-and-a-half million people sought tickets for the event at Worthy Farm in Somerset, with just 210,000 available. ....Festival ticket and coach packages sold out in 25 minutes on 16 November."

It became a bit of a sad cheese fest for gap year students an 'cool dads' 20- 30 years ago unfortunately.
Feckin Coldplay...
RIP Glastonbury on 12:39 - Mar 14 with 842 viewsHerbivore

RIP Glastonbury on 12:33 - Mar 14 by WalkyWonderland

It's become a chav-fest. For the handful of interesting acts on other stages, it makes more sense to go see their own gigs for a lot less money.

Just seen it's £360 a ticket. Mama mia! Defo one for the trust fund kids these days.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

RIP Glastonbury on 12:54 - Mar 14 with 818 viewsRozz

RIP Glastonbury on 12:38 - Mar 14 by leitrimblue

It became a bit of a sad cheese fest for gap year students an 'cool dads' 20- 30 years ago unfortunately.
Feckin Coldplay...

That may be so, but the idea it's crap and nobody is bothered anymore is objectively untrue.
RIP Glastonbury on 12:58 - Mar 14 with 808 viewsHerbivore

RIP Glastonbury on 12:54 - Mar 14 by Rozz

That may be so, but the idea it's crap and nobody is bothered anymore is objectively untrue.

People are bothered, but it's a different festival appealing to a different demographic these days. Whether it's crap is a much more subjective opinion, not sure how to objectively measure crapness when it comes to a music festival.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

RIP Glastonbury on 13:02 - Mar 14 with 800 viewshype313

RIP Glastonbury on 12:54 - Mar 14 by Rozz

I don't really blame the Eavises's too much, I'm sure when Michael first started out in 71 with a few folk bands sitting an a bale of hay, he never envisaged how it would grow so exponentially, they have just gone with the times and who can blame them.

It's what the masses want, not my cup of tea, and i'm sure many others, however, you can't argue against the demand and it's cleary an event millions have in their calendar each year.

My uncle was involved in the early days of the Field of Avalon and can't be more complimentary about the family.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

RIP Glastonbury on 13:20 - Mar 14 with 761 viewsFBI

Yep. With my semi-professional musician hat on, it really galls me that most acts (not the big ones) don't get paid. Aparently 'exposure' is currency. Mind you, the going rate to get onto Jools Holland a couple of years ago was £10K :-/

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

RIP Glastonbury on 13:21 - Mar 14 with 760 viewsstickymockwell

The festival has got some decent acts that I'd love to see. The main stage acts IMO are so important for the essence of the festival. I just think it's sunk so low this year with that line up. Vanilla Coldplay again!!!
I bet the festival gets panned this year. The press only watch the main acts and Coldplay and Dua Lipa aren't going down in history. Admittedly I know very little about SZA because I'm old and stuck in my ways.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

RIP Glastonbury on 13:31 - Mar 14 with 731 viewsRozz

RIP Glastonbury on 13:02 - Mar 14 by hype313

I don't really blame the Eavises's too much, I'm sure when Michael first started out in 71 with a few folk bands sitting an a bale of hay, he never envisaged how it would grow so exponentially, they have just gone with the times and who can blame them.

It's what the masses want, not my cup of tea, and i'm sure many others, however, you can't argue against the demand and it's cleary an event millions have in their calendar each year.

My uncle was involved in the early days of the Field of Avalon and can't be more complimentary about the family.

There'll be some adjustment while the dinosaurs digest Emily's new direction.

I think what gets overlooked in the TV mainstream is just how good a festival it is for electronic music. I get that's not everyone's cup of tea, and it certainly won't make good telly, but the idea that Glastonbury is purely a load of happy clappy posho's watching Coldplay is very shallow.
RIP Glastonbury on 13:35 - Mar 14 with 714 viewsWD19

RIP Glastonbury on 10:06 - Mar 14 by BlueForYou

Unless you don't like Coldplay! Maybe I'm on my own, but they're a glorified Europop band these days, although do put on a decent show if you like that kind of thing. Not for me though.

Maybe it is time Glastonbury considered building a second stage so they can put on an alternative band for those that don't like Coldplay in that slot!?
RIP Glastonbury on 13:40 - Mar 14 with 697 viewsleitrimblue

RIP Glastonbury on 13:31 - Mar 14 by Rozz

I think what gets overlooked in the TV mainstream is just how good a festival it is for electronic music. I get that's not everyone's cup of tea, and it certainly won't make good telly, but the idea that Glastonbury is purely a load of happy clappy posho's watching Coldplay is very shallow.

If you and your friends are into electronic music may I suggest saving £300 an liberating an empty warehouse for the evening, gathering every amp and generator you can get hold of, a cheap strobe light an load up on MDMA.

Save you bumping into the kinda people who would pay £360 to watch Coldplay etc
RIP Glastonbury on 13:56 - Mar 14 with 666 viewsRozz

RIP Glastonbury on 13:40 - Mar 14 by leitrimblue

If you and your friends are into electronic music may I suggest saving £300 an liberating an empty warehouse for the evening, gathering every amp and generator you can get hold of, a cheap strobe light an load up on MDMA.

Save you bumping into the kinda people who would pay £360 to watch Coldplay etc

I have done plenty of that in my time, but we're talking about slightly different levels of production expertise.
RIP Glastonbury on 14:05 - Mar 14 with 644 viewsMeadowlark

RIP Glastonbury on 13:31 - Mar 14 by Rozz

That's certainly my view from "outside." I always think it's the same lot as go to Wimbledon.
RIP Glastonbury on 14:08 - Mar 14 with 636 viewsleitrimblue

RIP Glastonbury on 13:56 - Mar 14 by Rozz

I have done plenty of that in my time, but we're talking about slightly different levels of production expertise.

If after a night out raving you have concerns over the expertise and quality of production can I suggest you increase the MDMA( tri chonsan agus guta as I now like to call it) intake
RIP Glastonbury on 14:09 - Mar 14 with 635 viewsweepingx2018

It wont go the same way (ie folded) like V Festival, but that's an awful headline list.
RIP Glastonbury on 14:24 - Mar 14 with 614 viewsblueislander

RIP Glastonbury on 14:05 - Mar 14 by Meadowlark

That's certainly my view from "outside." I always think it's the same lot as go to Wimbledon.

That is a little unfair on Wimbledon. It is true that there are too many corporate tickets sold, and it is annoying that people go there just to get p-ssed thus depriving genuine tennis fans of tennis of the experienced. However the vast majority of those at Wimbledon are genuine and knowledgeable tennis fans.
RIP Glastonbury on 14:24 - Mar 14 with 615 viewsWeWereZombies

RIP Glastonbury on 11:34 - Mar 14 by BLUEGOLD

The Tea Tent is where it’s at at BT.

Tarantism Disco, Nick Parker, Star Botherers, Abdoujaparov plus the Beardy Keith Memorial Uke Jam all excellent as well as Attila & Mark Thomas

I usually give it a look but The Pallet Stage, Woodland and Meadow have so many strong acts so they are my main focus. Can't believe how much I am looking forward to seeing Dexys, like Pretenders last year a big gap in my live music experiences.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

RIP Glastonbury on 14:35 - Mar 14 with 596 viewsBLUEGOLD

RIP Glastonbury on 14:24 - Mar 14 by WeWereZombies

I usually give it a look but The Pallet Stage, Woodland and Meadow have so many strong acts so they are my main focus. Can't believe how much I am looking forward to seeing Dexys, like Pretenders last year a big gap in my live music experiences.

They have an end of season party that’s well worth going to as well. Similar line up but costs about £75 a ticket including the van pass for 3 nights.

Proper grass roots festival with like minded music loving people
RIP Glastonbury on 14:52 - Mar 14 with 581 viewsWeWereZombies

RIP Glastonbury on 14:35 - Mar 14 by BLUEGOLD

They have an end of season party that’s well worth going to as well. Similar line up but costs about £75 a ticket including the van pass for 3 nights.

Proper grass roots festival with like minded music loving people

Didn't know about the end of season party, will have to keep an eye out for that.

One tent that I didn't bother with in 2022 but had a look in at last year was Maui Waui, mainly because 'I can play two guitars at once' Rodney Brannigan was on. I might give their festival (near Dereham at the end of August) a go this year as well.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

RIP Glastonbury on 15:01 - Mar 14 with 567 viewshype313

RIP Glastonbury on 14:24 - Mar 14 by blueislander

That is a little unfair on Wimbledon. It is true that there are too many corporate tickets sold, and it is annoying that people go there just to get p-ssed thus depriving genuine tennis fans of tennis of the experienced. However the vast majority of those at Wimbledon are genuine and knowledgeable tennis fans.

I went to Wimbledon last year, it was painful, had tickets in Centre Court but was up high and it was like watching two fly's trying to swat eachother.

And then trying to walk around outside, forget about it, it's a slow shuffle, left early doors as people were getting on my chimes.

Ascot was another horrendous day, I've come to the realisation that all these events are harrowing and I'd rather just stay at home.

I'm getting old.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

RIP Glastonbury on 15:01 - Mar 14 with 567 viewsBlueNomad

They say music can move you. It's true. They were playing Coldplay in the pub the other night so I moved to the next pub down the road.

Boom boom!
RIP Glastonbury on 15:07 - Mar 14 with 555 viewsgiant_stow

I quite like Coldplay, but wouldn't dream of paying 100s to go and sh1t in a field for 3 days. Anyway, horses for courses - enjoy.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

RIP Glastonbury on 15:11 - Mar 14 with 538 viewswischip

That is a seriously underwhelming set of headliners. But you don't really go to Glasto for headliners do you. The better stuff is on the alternative stages. You start off thinking you're going to see 20 bands and end up seeing 5 because it takes too long moving back & forth between the fields. And then you just can't be @rsed and just stop in the comedy tent watching 5 comedians unplanned.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024