Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all 06:49 - Mar 10 with 2551 viewsbillabasblue

It’s the manor of the defeat which is unacceptable, no promotion chasing side should ever be lose a game after leading in the 95th minute , it’s almost impossible to fathom how this can happen ! Our defending unfortunately is our Achilles heel and is the only reason that we may not go up this season

If we lose the game 2-1 in the 70th minute and battle hard to come back but don’t there wouldn’t be anywhere near the amount of hysteria , we need to get rid of this imposter syndrome and forget all this league 1 side rubbish we are bang in the middle of a promotion race which we deserve to be in and the mentality from fans shouldn’t be that we’re just happy to be taking part we as supporters have EVERY right to expect our side to have won that game yesterday not bottling it the way we did.

Minimum 7 wins from last 9 is needed now to have any chance of top two, tall order but we have to go for it and worst ways we make the playoffs as the form side.
[Post edited 10 Mar 6:53]
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 07:54 - Mar 10 with 1959 viewstractorboy1978

With respect, that's a lot of emotional and reactionary nonsense. We certainly don't have imposter syndrome. We've been taking it to opposition teams all season and winning points with late goals.

It was a bad day at the office, just like Charlton was last season. But it shouldn't detract from the fact we've been nothing short of exceptional this season - 78 points from 37 games is beyond all our expectations.
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 08:11 - Mar 10 with 1874 viewsMeadowlark

Leckwith.
Google maps indicates that Leckwith, was the manor.
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 08:48 - Mar 10 with 1815 viewsEdwardStone

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 08:11 - Mar 10 by Meadowlark

Leckwith.
Google maps indicates that Leckwith, was the manor.

I was always tort that it is pedantic and rude to point out other poster's speling errorrs

It is bad manor's
[Post edited 10 Mar 8:58]
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:02 - Mar 10 with 1693 viewsibbleobble

What about a Champions League final side? By your logic no Champions League final side should ever lose a game when leading in the 90th minute. Kind of a ridiculous statement isn’t it?
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:02 - Mar 10 with 1687 viewsbillabasblue

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 07:54 - Mar 10 by tractorboy1978

With respect, that's a lot of emotional and reactionary nonsense. We certainly don't have imposter syndrome. We've been taking it to opposition teams all season and winning points with late goals.

It was a bad day at the office, just like Charlton was last season. But it shouldn't detract from the fact we've been nothing short of exceptional this season - 78 points from 37 games is beyond all our expectations.

I think it’s far beyond a “bad day at the office “ yes we have been exceptional but do we just now say we’ve done really well so far so if we win we win or if we lose we lose ?? The mentality needs to be solid and less flaky
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:06 - Mar 10 with 1652 viewsHerbivore

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:02 - Mar 10 by billabasblue

I think it’s far beyond a “bad day at the office “ yes we have been exceptional but do we just now say we’ve done really well so far so if we win we win or if we lose we lose ?? The mentality needs to be solid and less flaky

Yeah, we've definitely shown a flaky mentality all season, incredible that we've fluked 78 points really.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:31 - Mar 10 with 1568 viewsbillabasblue

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:06 - Mar 10 by Herbivore

Yeah, we've definitely shown a flaky mentality all season, incredible that we've fluked 78 points really.

The flaky comment is to some of these supporters who appear quite comfortable with debacles like yesterday simply because we have exceeded their own low expectations of us .
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:34 - Mar 10 with 1562 viewsChurchman

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:06 - Mar 10 by Herbivore

Yep, luck has been on our side every moment of every game. Really we should be 19 points behind Rovrum with our cr@p defence and weak mentality.

It’s about time McKenna and this shower of impostors were shown the door and some people brought in who can get us to 78 points by mid March scoring 74 goals. ….oh…
Login to get fewer ads

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:36 - Mar 10 with 1549 viewsHerbivore

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:31 - Mar 10 by billabasblue

The flaky comment is to some of these supporters who appear quite comfortable with debacles like yesterday simply because we have exceeded their own low expectations of us .

Personally, I think the people pissing their pants here are the real flakes.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:48 - Mar 10 with 1509 viewsStewart27

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:02 - Mar 10 by billabasblue

It’s called perspective.

You massive fanny.
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:51 - Mar 10 with 1494 viewsbillabasblue

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:34 - Mar 10 by Churchman

Yep, luck has been on our side every moment of every game. Really we should be 19 points behind Rovrum with our cr@p defence and weak mentality.

It’s about time McKenna and this shower of impostors were shown the door and some people brought in who can get us to 78 points by mid March scoring 74 goals. ….oh…

No luck has nothing to do with it , we are where we are because we deserve to be there no doubt about that ! If we are able to defend better than we have done all season in the last 9- 12 games we will get promoted , if we don’t we will witness more repeats of yesterday
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:01 - Mar 10 with 1474 viewsChurchman

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 10:31 - Mar 10 by billabasblue

Nobody, players, supporters anyone likes or is comfortable with losing.

Some people though tend to avoid running about with damp pants and their head on fire and take a more balanced, broader view. We lost yesterday. We deserved to. We weren’t good enough on the day. It happens. The reality is in sport things won’t always go your way. We have no devine right.

The big picture is that we are competing with far better funded teams than ours and may with a fair wind and people behind the team have something to show for it ant the end of the season.

Low expectations: What were yours at the start of the season? I’m guessing an FA Cup win and winning the Championship with 138 points. Mine was that a placing of 6-10 would be a good season.
Which is realistic?
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:08 - Mar 10 with 1456 viewsbillabasblue

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:01 - Mar 10 by Churchman

Nobody, players, supporters anyone likes or is comfortable with losing.

Some people though tend to avoid running about with damp pants and their head on fire and take a more balanced, broader view. We lost yesterday. We deserved to. We weren’t good enough on the day. It happens. The reality is in sport things won’t always go your way. We have no devine right.

The big picture is that we are competing with far better funded teams than ours and may with a fair wind and people behind the team have something to show for it ant the end of the season.

Low expectations: What were yours at the start of the season? I’m guessing an FA Cup win and winning the Championship with 138 points. Mine was that a placing of 6-10 would be a good season.
Which is realistic?

When you say we weren’t good enough on the day I would argue that Cardiff were as bad a side as we have played this season (Millwall aside) and were there to be beaten , any side in our position on the balance of play yesterday would have expected to have won that game ! In terms of expectations mine was to finish in the top 6 without question , however having had a 12 point lead whilst in second place those expectations have to change and automatic promotion then becomes the realistic expectation.
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:26 - Mar 10 with 1410 viewsChurchman

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:08 - Mar 10 by billabasblue

When you say we weren’t good enough on the day I would argue that Cardiff were as bad a side as we have played this season (Millwall aside) and were there to be beaten , any side in our position on the balance of play yesterday would have expected to have won that game ! In terms of expectations mine was to finish in the top 6 without question , however having had a 12 point lead whilst in second place those expectations have to change and automatic promotion then becomes the realistic expectation.

They had more shots, more shots on target, won more corners, scored a goal more. They deserved it. Scoring in the 100th minute is just as valid as the 70th. The other sides in our position weren’t playing Cardiff away yesterday. And I’ve seen other teams worse than them this season. It is what it is. You either strive to do better next time or cry a lot as your underwear goes through the spin cycle.

Expectations: top six without question? I bet you were in a minority on that one. As for changing expectations as you go, that makes no sense to me. If you expect x from 46 games, that’s your measure. Whatever the lead, auto promotion was never an expectation for me. Just a hope. A real chance, an opportunity but that is not an expectation.

The start of the season objectives in priority for me remain the same. 1. No relegation fight. 2. Mid table comfort. 3. Challenge for play offs. 4 in the play offs. 5. Top two. Expectation ended at point 3. Realistic hope 4. Dream 5.

A very disappointing defeat to Cardiff doesn’t change that for me.
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:31 - Mar 10 with 1396 viewsNthQldITFC

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 07:54 - Mar 10 by tractorboy1978

It's only really a bad day at the office in the context of us unexpectedly getting by far the cushiest, plummest, best-paid office job we could have dreamed of this season (i.e. being part of a four team mini league at the top of the Championship with three high powered relegated clubs).

Any normal post-promotion season a narrow away defeat in Cardiff after a six game winning run would be an unproductive, but fantastic Friday afternoon piss-up after a great week at the office.

As it is, we've just knocked over the waste paper bin whilst being poured another glass of champagne, and some of us are having kittens!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:49 - Mar 10 with 1365 viewsbillabasblue

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:26 - Mar 10 by Churchman

They had more shots, more shots on target, won more corners, scored a goal more. They deserved it. Scoring in the 100th minute is just as valid as the 70th. The other sides in our position weren’t playing Cardiff away yesterday. And I’ve seen other teams worse than them this season. It is what it is. You either strive to do better next time or cry a lot as your underwear goes through the spin cycle.

Expectations: top six without question? I bet you were in a minority on that one. As for changing expectations as you go, that makes no sense to me. If you expect x from 46 games, that’s your measure. Whatever the lead, auto promotion was never an expectation for me. Just a hope. A real chance, an opportunity but that is not an expectation.

The start of the season objectives in priority for me remain the same. 1. No relegation fight. 2. Mid table comfort. 3. Challenge for play offs. 4 in the play offs. 5. Top two. Expectation ended at point 3. Realistic hope 4. Dream 5.

A very disappointing defeat to Cardiff doesn’t change that for me.

Expectations shouldn’t change ? So if you were once poor and became rich beyond your wildest dreams should you then automatically expect to be poor again because you once were or should you strive to kick on ? everyone has different expectations some will be higher than others that’s life !
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:51 - Mar 10 with 1357 viewstractorboy1978

You can't question the mentality of this team or call us flaky. We've lost 5 times all season and before yesterday had won 6 in a row.

We've shown numerous times this season that we can defend and we've picked up several good away wins keeping a clean sheet in the process. I think the 'we can't defend' thing is hugely overblown.
[Post edited 10 Mar 11:52]
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:58 - Mar 10 with 1329 viewsjayessess

It is genuinely amazing to me that there are people out there for whom there is no scenario in which they can just take a defeat on the chin without criticising the players and the manager, without inventing some kind of future doom that is apparently imminent.

We've won 6 in the last 7, we're 3rd in the league with a points total that would have us likely league winners in most ordinary seasons. These players, this set-up, our mentality has seen us this far. We were never going to win our last 16 games straight. Why can't people chalk up the occasional bad result as just one of those things? It's bizarre.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 12:03 - Mar 10 with 1297 viewspointofblue

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:58 - Mar 10 by jayessess

It is genuinely amazing to me that there are people out there for whom there is no scenario in which they can just take a defeat on the chin without criticising the players and the manager, without inventing some kind of future doom that is apparently imminent.

We've won 6 in the last 7, we're 3rd in the league with a points total that would have us likely league winners in most ordinary seasons. These players, this set-up, our mentality has seen us this far. We were never going to win our last 16 games straight. Why can't people chalk up the occasional bad result as just one of those things? It's bizarre.

I am slightly concerned how we didn't show up after their equaliser. That was disappointing and reminded me of the performances at West Brom and Leeds. Interestingly I'd say three of our worst performances of the season came in Saturday away games with a 12.30 kick off.

I'm definitely not looking forward to Norwich.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 12:04 - Mar 10 with 1295 viewstractorboy1978

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:49 - Mar 10 by billabasblue

Expectations shouldn’t change ? So if you were once poor and became rich beyond your wildest dreams should you then automatically expect to be poor again because you once were or should you strive to kick on ? everyone has different expectations some will be higher than others that’s life !

At the end of the day, if we end up on 92+ points (2ppg) and don't finish in the top 2, we can either sift back through individual moments and moan or we can accept that we've done phenomenally well and would have literally been promoted in any other Championship season in history.
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 12:18 - Mar 10 with 1235 viewsNthQldITFC

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:58 - Mar 10 by jayessess

^ That is the post of the week, right there ^

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 12:21 - Mar 10 with 1226 viewsbraveblue

Just can’t agree with this. The tactics in the last 10 mins plus injury time were bad. We fell back and invited Cardiff to have a go. Before that they did not have a shot in the second half. Losing two goals in 6 minutes is far from impossible - it’s happened thousands of times.
Our style of play is attacking and we will concede goals. But look where it has got us and the brilliant games we have seen in the past couple of years.

Everyone needs to calm down and get behind the team. Don’t look for blame - it happens.
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 12:34 - Mar 10 with 1168 viewsChurchman

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 11:49 - Mar 10 by billabasblue

If you set expectations over a season, that is a realistic timeframe based on what you have and where you are August 1st. If you acquire Newcastle headchoppers money half way through a season, I don’t think your expectations change because your new money will make no difference to what you can do in half a season and a transfer window. At seasons end you reset your expectations for the following season. That is sensible objective setting in my view.

So for ITFC if we fail to get promoted one season into the Championship, I’d target play offs next season as a minimum for success with an aim of a sustained challenge on top two, assuming we can improve the squad.

In other words, you don’t change your expectations as you go, but at fixed intervals. If you don’t do that, you don’t ever have a measure of progress and disappointment will be your lot. Permanently. Just a view.
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 13:15 - Mar 10 with 1098 viewsRegencyBlue

Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 12:21 - Mar 10 by braveblue

Just can’t agree with this. The tactics in the last 10 mins plus injury time were bad. We fell back and invited Cardiff to have a go. Before that they did not have a shot in the second half. Losing two goals in 6 minutes is far from impossible - it’s happened thousands of times.
Our style of play is attacking and we will concede goals. But look where it has got us and the brilliant games we have seen in the past couple of years.

Everyone needs to calm down and get behind the team. Don’t look for blame - it happens.

Our tactics once we scored were poor.

Cardiff hadn’t laid a glove on us in the second half until we sat back after scoring and invited them to attack us, which was an odd thing to do against a team who have scored the majority of their home goals from set pieces this season.

We made a mistake but it’s how we react to it that will decide how the rest of the season goes!
Defeat happens and is not the issue here at all on 13:16 - Mar 10 with 1079 viewsVegtablue

We've been "mentality monsters" since spring 22/23, haven't we? Most points gained from losing positions, most goals scored from 76' etc.. You've correctly identified the shortcoming but have wrongly attributed it to mentality. It came down to decisions and application. Notions of "acceptability" are a laugh, to be honest. It's gut-wrenching when it happens and we need to learn as much as we can, to minimise the prospect of this happening again. But obviously we'll be continuing with the squad and squad attitude that we've worked hard to foster.

I'm sure your middle paragraph is intended as a rallying cry, but the reality is we've supported pretty well at home and away this season. There was one instance by my recollection of "we've got the ball" rubbish but otherwise we've been pushing the team on.

As to your final paragraph, the squad will keep striving of course, pushing hard for all the points they can get. If we don't achieve your minimum requirement of 7 there's a decent chance it will be playoffs for us, in which case you'll need to strengthen your resolve should you decide to attend any fixtures. We need to be confident for them as a fanbase, however we arrive there (should we arrive there). We'll regret it otherwise, just roar them on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024