Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our defence...discuss 19:07 - Mar 9 with 1659 viewsgtsb1966

and hopefully discuss in an adult way . We've conceded 49 goals which is far too many. Our first season back in the championship has been superb and we might be in the Premier league and we might not. Take Davis out of the equation as I think whatever happens his value and demand from other clubs will see him gone. We're left with Burgess , Clarke and Woolfenden with the latter two being local boys so hearts will rule heads with many. Would people see 1,2 ,3 or none of those replaced next season. I think premier most would say all 3 but what about the championship. This isn't a dig at all but just would like to hear people's views of where we go in future with perhaps our weakest position.
[Post edited 9 Mar 19:09]
Our defence...discuss on 19:18 - Mar 9 with 1577 views_clive_baker_

I think goals conceded isn’t all about the defensive unit. There’s definitely an argument for strengthening if we went up, but that’s true of all position. We play an aggressive and attacking style of football that’s generally (obviously) serves us very well, but a consequence is always going to be conceding goals. I would bring Hladky in to the conversation and probably Luongo too with regards to upgrades, but the reality is we’re shackled by FFP with 2 of our 3 years being League 1 revenues and losses.

Either way it’s an incredible season. We’ve lost a game of football, it happens. We’re just not very used to it which is testament to the season we’re having. I know it’s a pretty meaningless thing to say but were we offered this at the start of the season nobody would’ve believed it. Going toe to toe with the 3 that came down and we’re right in the mix. If we get to 2 it’s incredible, if not we’re all but guaranteed playoffs. I don’t think anyone would want to play us in those.

In short I don’t see much cause for concern in our defence generally, although the 1st goal in particular was awful today, there’s no team in the land that doesn’t concede sh1t goals, not least ones that are punching above their weight in their first season back at this level. It’s not the time to be too critical, we just need to keep supporting a squad of players that’s giving everything for the cause and cares deeply about the badge they’re representing.
Our defence...discuss on 19:20 - Mar 9 with 1564 viewsSwansea_Blue

We do seem to have an issue with clearing our lines. It’s not the first time we’ve failed to make the second or third balls. I’m not sure why, but every time the ball bounces around in our box I’m expecting the worst.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Our defence...discuss on 19:23 - Mar 9 with 1531 viewspointofblue

Our defence...discuss on 19:18 - Mar 9 by _clive_baker_

I think goals conceded isn’t all about the defensive unit. There’s definitely an argument for strengthening if we went up, but that’s true of all position. We play an aggressive and attacking style of football that’s generally (obviously) serves us very well, but a consequence is always going to be conceding goals. I would bring Hladky in to the conversation and probably Luongo too with regards to upgrades, but the reality is we’re shackled by FFP with 2 of our 3 years being League 1 revenues and losses.

Either way it’s an incredible season. We’ve lost a game of football, it happens. We’re just not very used to it which is testament to the season we’re having. I know it’s a pretty meaningless thing to say but were we offered this at the start of the season nobody would’ve believed it. Going toe to toe with the 3 that came down and we’re right in the mix. If we get to 2 it’s incredible, if not we’re all but guaranteed playoffs. I don’t think anyone would want to play us in those.

In short I don’t see much cause for concern in our defence generally, although the 1st goal in particular was awful today, there’s no team in the land that doesn’t concede sh1t goals, not least ones that are punching above their weight in their first season back at this level. It’s not the time to be too critical, we just need to keep supporting a squad of players that’s giving everything for the cause and cares deeply about the badge they’re representing.

Our defending as a unit has been a problem beyond today. Yes, it may get questioned more after today because we lost but we concede far too many soft goals. I agree with you it goes beyond the back four but, should we fail to make the top two, it could well come back to bite us in the play offs.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Joint 5th best for clean sheets, just noting to keep things on 19:33 - Mar 9 with 1491 viewsJohn_Warks_Willy

in perspective.

Yes, we could be better in defence but improvements required are marginal rather than wholesale.

Maybe more a continued improvement and development of existing players rather than sweeping changes I’d hope, it’s a more sustainable model and certainly one I prefer in the main.

Poll: Is Billm….

Our defence...discuss on 19:34 - Mar 9 with 1470 views_clive_baker_

Our defence...discuss on 19:23 - Mar 9 by pointofblue

Our defending as a unit has been a problem beyond today. Yes, it may get questioned more after today because we lost but we concede far too many soft goals. I agree with you it goes beyond the back four but, should we fail to make the top two, it could well come back to bite us in the play offs.

What would make me nervous in the playoffs is our record against the better sides. 1 win in 7 against the top 5 (obviously excludes us), which was against a Southampton side who really weren’t in their stride. I do wonder if we’re doing incredibly well with what we’ve got at our disposal, but perhaps that bit of additional quality is harder to compensate for when it comes to playing the top sides at this level. McKenna is a genius, there’s no doubt in my mind about that, and would think he’s the front runner for manager of the season if you’re looking at it objectively. I just wonder if we’re just a little short in quality when it comes to a playoff final against a Southampton for example.

Either way I’m just enjoying the ride and what will be will be. I’m confident that whatever happens it won’t be for a lack of effort, desire or preparedness.
Our defence...discuss on 19:38 - Mar 9 with 1433 viewsVegtablue

Don't have time to contribute properly, but it's worth pointing out 49 goals is only too many to concede if you're targeting top two this season. Over half the league has been leakier than that.

When you give away some of the fewest shooting opportunities in the league, however, and when Opta has your goalkeeper making more saves than expected, it isn't unreasonable to hope your GA would be lower. Leeds 28, Leicester 33, WB 35, Hull 46, Saints 47, Norwich 54.. we aren't an outlier here but can obviously improve (and do so without needing to change our system).
Our defence...discuss on 19:46 - Mar 9 with 1371 viewsBloomBlue

We've lost 5 games in the league, fewer than any other team in the Champ. So you can argue all the other teams have a worse defence than ours.

All teams concede goals, even Man City etc concede goals and they have some of the most expensive defenders in the world.

Obviously we will change players when we're in the Prem next season, probably we will also if we stay in the championship.
But the financial rules limit what we can spend and in the Championship that means it will be a gradual process.
When/if we get to the prem, we will have a lot more money allowing us to add a lot more additions.
Our defence...discuss on 19:47 - Mar 9 with 1367 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Our defence...discuss on 19:34 - Mar 9 by _clive_baker_

What would make me nervous in the playoffs is our record against the better sides. 1 win in 7 against the top 5 (obviously excludes us), which was against a Southampton side who really weren’t in their stride. I do wonder if we’re doing incredibly well with what we’ve got at our disposal, but perhaps that bit of additional quality is harder to compensate for when it comes to playing the top sides at this level. McKenna is a genius, there’s no doubt in my mind about that, and would think he’s the front runner for manager of the season if you’re looking at it objectively. I just wonder if we’re just a little short in quality when it comes to a playoff final against a Southampton for example.

Either way I’m just enjoying the ride and what will be will be. I’m confident that whatever happens it won’t be for a lack of effort, desire or preparedness.

Ok now I’m worried. THANKS
Login to get fewer ads

Our defence...discuss on 20:10 - Mar 9 with 1266 viewsMullet

Is set up in a way to create goals and pull teams apart as much as anything. Leeds away is very much the freakish outlier and was unfortunate to come against them and not someone else.

Rarely do we get hammered, rarely do we lose. Today was about a whole team effort and how the fundamentals and shape fell out of us. When Harness and Ali were guarding the ball by their corner flags it was great. When they were not made to be the outlets and chase down yards and make Cardiff think about covering it backfired on us.

Everything about us is about the whole, the collective, we aren't a modular team in the way most were even 5-10 years ago. In certain phases our defenders are attackers/midfielders and vice versa.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Our defence...discuss on 23:25 - Mar 9 with 999 views3_5_2

Of our back 4 I would say Lief is the only one who could step up in the PL

Not just because of today but our defence is the weakest part of our team.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Our defence...discuss on 07:34 - Mar 10 with 746 viewsElephantintheRoom

Perhaps you should consider the possibility that players improve with experience and that for most this is the highest level they have played at in their entire careers. At least two of them ‘had to go’ in the blinkered eyes of some TWTD posters in the third division - and the goalie was being prised out of the club.

Personally I think they have been doing remarkably well given the changes in personnel - and the goals against has a lot to do with the style of play

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Our defence...discuss on 08:06 - Mar 10 with 663 viewsbazza

Leaks a lot of goals, but we normally score more than we leak. The end.
Our defence...discuss on 08:10 - Mar 10 with 640 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Our defence...discuss on 19:38 - Mar 9 by Vegtablue

Don't have time to contribute properly, but it's worth pointing out 49 goals is only too many to concede if you're targeting top two this season. Over half the league has been leakier than that.

When you give away some of the fewest shooting opportunities in the league, however, and when Opta has your goalkeeper making more saves than expected, it isn't unreasonable to hope your GA would be lower. Leeds 28, Leicester 33, WB 35, Hull 46, Saints 47, Norwich 54.. we aren't an outlier here but can obviously improve (and do so without needing to change our system).

This.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Our defence...discuss on 08:17 - Mar 10 with 620 viewstextbackup

We play in a way that leaves us vulnerable, which is fine most of the time.

Yesterday was just about the basics of defending that we got horribly wrong. Not clearing it into the stands, not stopping crosses, not winning headers in the box.

IF we were to go up, that department/or a change to playing style would need the most attention as we’d soon find ourselves struggling I think.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Our defence...discuss on 09:00 - Mar 10 with 529 viewstractorboy1978

Home - conceded the joint 3rd most goals in the league (29)

Away - conceded the joint 2nd lowest in the league (20)

So pick the bones out of that! I think we've shown that we can generally defend very well when needed to and we've got some decent away wins off the back of being able to keep a clean sheet.
[Post edited 10 Mar 9:00]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024