Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Premier league dreaming/ nightmares 16:57 - Mar 6 with 1606 viewsbarrystedmunds

A look at the bottom of the Premiership table is not good reading if you consider the promoted teams from last year and may possibly serve as a warning to all of us who crave the promise land.
It’s further heightened if you watched Sheffield Unimed’s attempt at competing against Arsenal the other evening!!!!
Considering Burnley absolutely destroyed this league last year and then spent £100 million plus in an attempt to establish themselves this season it is a little worrying to say the least.
Luton appear from the three of them to be the only team to have adapted to the rigours of the step up with a little more ease but are still struggling.
On paper, I would say Leicester, Leeds and Southampton have better premier league squads than the three teams who replaced them and are understandably desperate to return at the first time of asking.
We’re obviously looking to spoil that party.
SHOULD we make it, I have every confidence that KMcK and his team would prepare us to meet those challenges. COYBs
Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 17:05 - Mar 6 with 1552 viewsSitfcB

Can’t say I’m really thinking about that right now.

Burnley spunked £100mill, that’s where they went wrong.

Sheffield United, basket case club.

Luton we’re expected to do the worst and they’re doing a lot better than expected.

Ok we will probably get a few beatings, but who doesn’t up there, just got to enjoy the experience and see how we get on, we could establish ourselves up there or it could be a one/two season wonder again.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 17:08 - Mar 6 with 1522 views_clive_baker_

Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 17:05 - Mar 6 by SitfcB

Can’t say I’m really thinking about that right now.

Burnley spunked £100mill, that’s where they went wrong.

Sheffield United, basket case club.

Luton we’re expected to do the worst and they’re doing a lot better than expected.

Ok we will probably get a few beatings, but who doesn’t up there, just got to enjoy the experience and see how we get on, we could establish ourselves up there or it could be a one/two season wonder again.

We're also a very long way from that being something worth thinking about innit.

No point at all in worrying about that, just need to enjoy the ride this season and hope it ends in champagne getting poured over McKenna again.
Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 17:08 - Mar 6 with 1518 viewsDeliasMashedPotato

You could look at Burnley and Sheff United.. or on the flip side you could look at Brighton and Brentford who are now premier league regulars. I think we fit the model more of the former two clubs thank goodness.
Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 17:16 - Mar 6 with 1459 viewsbournemouthblue

All Burnley's star loanees from that season didn't then join them in the Prem which was a problem

My gut feeling is the top four from this season would all do better than Burnley and the Blunts

It was clearly a weaker league last season, I'd be interested to know what Burnley's points total was at this stage also?
[Post edited 6 Mar 17:18]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 17:24 - Mar 6 with 1397 viewsgordon

For balance though, Burnley's approach was wild, to just bring in a whole new team and a half of mostly young European players with no experience of the Premier League. And Sheffield United have got Chris Wilder stringing five across the middle and Oli McBurnie ploughing a lone furrow up top, so not exactly foward thinking.

We'd be most like Luton - they kept their identity and mentality, made some sensible acquisitions, and they also have some players who look like they've made a step up.
Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 17:42 - Mar 6 with 1331 viewsIpswichRising

Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 17:16 - Mar 6 by bournemouthblue

All Burnley's star loanees from that season didn't then join them in the Prem which was a problem

My gut feeling is the top four from this season would all do better than Burnley and the Blunts

It was clearly a weaker league last season, I'd be interested to know what Burnley's points total was at this stage also?
[Post edited 6 Mar 17:18]

Burnley had 80 points after 36 games last season, with Sheffield United on 67
Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 17:51 - Mar 6 with 1266 viewsNthQldITFC

Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 17:08 - Mar 6 by DeliasMashedPotato

You could look at Burnley and Sheff United.. or on the flip side you could look at Brighton and Brentford who are now premier league regulars. I think we fit the model more of the former two clubs thank goodness.

I think you mean the latter?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 18:04 - Mar 6 with 1213 viewsMK1

I had the same thought a few months ago, not now though. Have to want to go up and have a pop at the better teams. We will need to be smart in the market and try and keep the main bulk of the squad together. Try and keep Moore and add 4 experienced starters between midfield and defence and have a real go for it. If Chelsea and Brighton want to let us keep Hutch and Sammy for another season as well, that would be great. (think Brighton have already said we can keep him next season) If we end up coming back down, weirdly, we will be in a better position the next time we go up. Fingers crossed we can do it.
If we don't and end up in the Championship again next season, hope we will all reflect on how far we have still come in such a short space of time. Amazing times.
Login to get fewer ads

Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 18:50 - Mar 6 with 1102 viewsEastTownBlue

The point at the end is the important one which should distinguish ourselves from the three teams that were promoted last season (if we keep hold of him).
Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 18:52 - Mar 6 with 1094 viewsSmithersJones

There was a piece in the Times a few days ago about the differing styles of football of promoted teams. Loads of stats quoted but basic conclusion was that quick and direct was better suited to Premier League survival than lots of sideways passing, hence why Luton are doing better than Burnley. Extending that to the current Top 4 their conclusion was that Leeds's style was best suited to the Prem, followed by us, then Leicester, with Southampton a long way behind.
Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 19:01 - Mar 6 with 1053 viewsDarkBrandon

On the plus side if we don’t make it up this season, the division will - on paper - be a little weaker for next season.

But if KM goes into better things we might be quite a lot weaker
Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 19:03 - Mar 6 with 1047 viewsIllinoisblue

Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 18:52 - Mar 6 by SmithersJones

There was a piece in the Times a few days ago about the differing styles of football of promoted teams. Loads of stats quoted but basic conclusion was that quick and direct was better suited to Premier League survival than lots of sideways passing, hence why Luton are doing better than Burnley. Extending that to the current Top 4 their conclusion was that Leeds's style was best suited to the Prem, followed by us, then Leicester, with Southampton a long way behind.

Collymore made that point a few days ago on Twitter, basically saying that only the elite prem clubs can tippy tappy their way to success and it’s madness for newly promoted teams to try it.

Anyway, here’s Keiran McKenna asking you to hold his beer for him.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 19:15 - Mar 6 with 998 viewsMK1

Premier league dreaming/ nightmares on 18:50 - Mar 6 by EastTownBlue

The point at the end is the important one which should distinguish ourselves from the three teams that were promoted last season (if we keep hold of him).

If we go up, McKenna stays.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024