Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a level playing field 10:48 - Feb 28 with 2597 viewsPinewoodblue

We have seen this season how much of an unfair advantage relegated teams have in the Championship.

Could be even worse next season should Everton &Nottingham Forest be deducted points and either, or both, find themselves relegated.

No punishment for cheating if you are rewarded with parachute payments. Meanwhile Reading face the prospect of a potential relegation, with serious financial consequences for a club already in financial difficulty.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Not a level playing field on 13:33 - Feb 28 with 2358 viewsBlueschev

Abolish the great swindle of parachute payments and replace them with relegation clauses in all premier league contracts, or replace them with nothing.
Not a level playing field on 13:46 - Feb 28 with 2300 viewssurreyblue

Not a level playing field on 13:33 - Feb 28 by Blueschev

Abolish the great swindle of parachute payments and replace them with relegation clauses in all premier league contracts, or replace them with nothing.

My proposal with parachute payments would be to strictly limit what they can be used for and to impose penalties for other uses.

So I would allow parachute payments to pay for anything that doesn't benefit them on the pitch - e.g. to pay the portion of wages for players loaned out that remains with the club.

But also allow relegated clubs to access it with points penalties if they want/need to in the season. Your wage budget is 20m higher than is sustainable? You can clear that with parachute payments but start with -20 points.
Not a level playing field on 13:54 - Feb 28 with 2269 viewsBobby

Not a level playing field on 13:46 - Feb 28 by surreyblue

My proposal with parachute payments would be to strictly limit what they can be used for and to impose penalties for other uses.

So I would allow parachute payments to pay for anything that doesn't benefit them on the pitch - e.g. to pay the portion of wages for players loaned out that remains with the club.

But also allow relegated clubs to access it with points penalties if they want/need to in the season. Your wage budget is 20m higher than is sustainable? You can clear that with parachute payments but start with -20 points.

The trouble is that any change has to be approved by the Premier league clubs and obviously no-one is going to vote for the change.
Not a level playing field on 14:00 - Feb 28 with 2243 viewsPinewoodblue

Not a level playing field on 13:54 - Feb 28 by Bobby

The trouble is that any change has to be approved by the Premier league clubs and obviously no-one is going to vote for the change.

If a set percentage salary reduction was written in to every premier league contract then every player would demand a relegation release clause.

To try and highlight how ridiculous wages are the amount paid to James Varney this season is more than 50% of our total wage bill.

2023 year of destiny

Not a level playing field on 14:19 - Feb 28 with 2180 viewswkj

There is no real overall solution to this other than the PL becoming more accessible and affordable for teams to operate in, and they will never happen voluntarily.

The only thing I can think of is that teams are imposed a soft wage threshold based on the figures they submit for FFP, for example, A player wage threshold for Player A = £X p/w as they started Y minutes the season prior. Once inflation is factored in then the PL will pay the % of players wages over the wage threshold directly to the player if the team is relegated.

I also think that if clubs broke FFP limits by a significant margin to get promoted or incur dings because of dodgy book keeping or bad spending, then the forfeit the right to receive any parachute payment at all

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Not a level playing field on 14:54 - Feb 28 with 2094 viewsPinewoodblue

Not a level playing field on 14:19 - Feb 28 by wkj

There is no real overall solution to this other than the PL becoming more accessible and affordable for teams to operate in, and they will never happen voluntarily.

The only thing I can think of is that teams are imposed a soft wage threshold based on the figures they submit for FFP, for example, A player wage threshold for Player A = £X p/w as they started Y minutes the season prior. Once inflation is factored in then the PL will pay the % of players wages over the wage threshold directly to the player if the team is relegated.

I also think that if clubs broke FFP limits by a significant margin to get promoted or incur dings because of dodgy book keeping or bad spending, then the forfeit the right to receive any parachute payment at all

That really is the only workable optio but would never get a majority vote in Premier League to be put into practice.

Can see government stepping in.

2023 year of destiny

Not a level playing field on 15:21 - Feb 28 with 2027 viewsbournemouthblue

The problem with ending parachute payments or at least the financial advantages of them is it then means we don't get them, should we go up

I can't see them scrapping the scheme by any means, let's get real about it but I can see them revising them if you do get a case of all three relegated sides going straight back up

It would be incredibly ironic for them to make them less generous, once we are back in the Prem, given we have been battling against clubs with ever increasingly generous ones, since the collapse of ITV digital in our relegation season

We went into Admin, Derby had financial problems as well and Leicester were promoted back to the Prem at the first time of asking from memory but were relegated I think, immediately after and struggled to get back until their crazy Thai owners came in and got things going the right way for them

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Not a level playing field on 15:50 - Feb 28 with 1966 viewsjayessess

Issue is that basically 2/3rds of the Premier League clubs have an interest in retaining something they'll potentially need at some point.

Think you're only going to get rid of it if you can replace it with something else that significantly reduces the financial jeopardy for relegated clubs.

Ideally you need to reduce the financial cliff-edge between the Premier League and the Championship. Re-arrange it so instead of having 20 teams with big broadcast incomes, then a huge gap, then 24 with middling broadcast incomes, you have 91 evenly-spaced gaps at each step between the 1st and 92nd-best teams in England.

(Of course, that looks far too much like the old EFL, so...)

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Not a level playing field on 15:55 - Feb 28 with 1947 viewsbournemouthblue

Not a level playing field on 15:50 - Feb 28 by jayessess

Issue is that basically 2/3rds of the Premier League clubs have an interest in retaining something they'll potentially need at some point.

Think you're only going to get rid of it if you can replace it with something else that significantly reduces the financial jeopardy for relegated clubs.

Ideally you need to reduce the financial cliff-edge between the Premier League and the Championship. Re-arrange it so instead of having 20 teams with big broadcast incomes, then a huge gap, then 24 with middling broadcast incomes, you have 91 evenly-spaced gaps at each step between the 1st and 92nd-best teams in England.

(Of course, that looks far too much like the old EFL, so...)

Once you are promoted to the Premier League, you essentially join the club for 2 or 3 seasons and get the benefits for membership

Be it TV money, the parachute payments, preferential treatment regarding the Elite Player Performance Programme, membership of Premiership 2 etc

It isn't right, certainly not for clubs like us who have missed the gravy train but it will good for us, if we do eventually get back there

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Not a level playing field on 20:24 - Feb 28 with 1736 viewsITFC_Forever

It’s legalised financial doping, and perfectly illustrates why football needs to be reformed by an independent regulator.

The Prem has such an enormous % of the money in the game, and not enough filters down. So when a club gets relegated, there is the need for a cushion as the financial gap between the Prem and Champ is so large.
Therefore, the money needs to be more evenly distributed across the 92 / rest of the pyramid so a much lower % remains in the Prem, so the gap to the Champ isn’t as big and less of a / no cushion is required.

However, as the Prem is run by the clubs, there is no chance they would ever do this. Hence why the decision-making needs to be taken away for them so decisions can be made in the best interests of the game as a whole, not the top division.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Not a level playing field on 20:30 - Feb 28 with 1687 viewsDarkBrandon

My proposal (which obviously benefits us hugely) is to allow the other clubs in the division to spend what they can at the moment *plus the amount of the parachute money*. Or some percentage of the amount of the parachute money. A half. That would at least mean the PL clubs have their financial cushion to pay their wages, but others can compete with them. At the moment the parachute money just sits on top.

I guess to prevent the other clubs going bust the money would have to be invested as an equity purchase or something.

Obviously the losers here are those clubs (like us a few years ago) who have neither the parachute money, nor an ownership with effectively limitless cash.
Not a level playing field on 20:54 - Feb 28 with 1635 viewsnorfsufblue

My modest Sky bill is going up £5.50 in April.. .... tbf until we the customers start telling them enough is enough then all this will just carry on... BUT even if we all told them where to shove it, the rest of the world would bail them out, sometimes I wish the Premier League would just up and leave let the clubs that just want a fair competition within sensible pragmatic budgets to reform The Football League as the only professional league I the country.... Let the big boys go bore themselves to death playing Barcelona every week.... unfortunately its never going to happen!! Arhhh TWTDs
Not a level playing field on 07:45 - Feb 29 with 1374 viewsElephantintheRoom

While money doping your way out of the Covid-ravaged third division with money borrowed from a US pension fund is OK

Personally I think this year is something of an exception and all three teams have recruited relatively well with money they got from sold players. Usually parachute payments saddle clubs with the useless, overentitled, overpaid players that got the clubs relegated.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Not a level playing field on 08:21 - Feb 29 with 1250 viewsCaptainAhab

Not a level playing field on 07:45 - Feb 29 by ElephantintheRoom

While money doping your way out of the Covid-ravaged third division with money borrowed from a US pension fund is OK

Personally I think this year is something of an exception and all three teams have recruited relatively well with money they got from sold players. Usually parachute payments saddle clubs with the useless, overentitled, overpaid players that got the clubs relegated.

Nice try budgie.
If by money doping your way of the third division you mean using financial investment for astute purchases and improvements to the club at all levels, then yes, that is what we did.
Not a level playing field on 08:27 - Feb 29 with 1228 viewsNeedhamChris

Not a level playing field on 08:21 - Feb 29 by CaptainAhab

Nice try budgie.
If by money doping your way of the third division you mean using financial investment for astute purchases and improvements to the club at all levels, then yes, that is what we did.

He's obviously not engaging from what I'd call a 'genuine Town fan' perspective, but I don't think you can disagree that we bought our way out of L1 to a certain extent. Money spent very wisely, but significant money spent all the same...

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Not a level playing field on 09:37 - Feb 29 with 1142 viewsPinewoodblue

Not a level playing field on 07:45 - Feb 29 by ElephantintheRoom

The parachute payment equates to the difference in wage bill between Ipswich & Leicester.

I’m sure if it wasn’t for the need to keep loses below the limit we would have invested wisely and be better placed for next season.

2023 year of destiny

Not a level playing field on 11:03 - Feb 29 with 1029 viewswkj

Not a level playing field on 08:27 - Feb 29 by NeedhamChris

He's obviously not engaging from what I'd call a 'genuine Town fan' perspective, but I don't think you can disagree that we bought our way out of L1 to a certain extent. Money spent very wisely, but significant money spent all the same...

That is over-simplified logic. For as long as we were badly underfunded under Evans with no kind of sustainable contract/asset management then the money invested was surely catch-up for the years of neglect. Given Evans' last attempt to woo town fans was to advocate we'd play the youth team in the senior squad, we were in desperate need of repair.

Preventative measures usually always end up being cheaper than repair measures of course, but we had to spend to remain in League 1, let alone snag promotion. I don't think I am being over the top in that assessment, look at how many of our first team players under Lambert went out to Colchester and non-league teams without really making an impact there either.

What got us promoted was Kieran McKenna's ability to manage the assets more so than buying our way out of the league. A league we never would have been in had Evans funded the club properly with a sustainable contract/asset management system in place.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Not a level playing field on 11:32 - Feb 29 with 968 viewsRadlett_blue

Great in theory, but would be contested by the PL clubs as it would reduce their ability to sign players so they would become less competitive against other European clubs. An increasing % of the TV money is being channeled to the big clubs as they are the ones the TV punters want to watch & the only solution to this issue is creating a European Super League.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024