Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moore 11:33 - Feb 26 with 3927 viewstractorboy1978

A lot of talk of us having to adapt how we play to accommodate Moore, but other than that second half at Preston to an extent, it hasn't really happened yet has it? I expected us to perhaps look to get earlier crosses into the box and really use his aerial prowess but we've carried on in our usual style being patient and looking to work openings.

That being said, there has been moments when we've been able to beat the press by clipping a ball into Moore and we've seen Hladly go longer at times. His hold up play has been exceptional. I can't say we've really missed any facet of Hirst's game (not a criticism) and he has the additional quality of aerial dominance in both boxes. We really could not have done any better in terms of finding 'Hirst 2.0'.
Moore is better than Hirst…. on 11:39 - Feb 26 with 3301 viewsBloots

…currently.

Hirst should improve and Moore has probably peaked.

But currently Moore is a better all round player.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Moore on 11:41 - Feb 26 with 3276 views_clive_baker_

Don't think it was ever likely to materially. There seemed to be an obsession with unearthing a clone of Hirst to replace him and general dismissal of Moore by plenty on the basis he isn't mobile enough which I think is bobbins. He doesn't have the movement that Hirst does but very few do, he's physically a specimen though and works very hard in the role. He's not the immobile carthorse some would've had you believe, albeit his profile is different to Hirst. To a large extent players play how they're asked to play, and he's got the underlying capabilities to play in our system as he's shown, and also bring some variety. He's more of an aerial presence and has shown that in some of his play, but he's got good feet as well. Showed some really nice touches on Saturday, held the ball up, got others into the game, retains possession and his movement creates space for those around him which is probably evidenced in the goals we've scored with him on the pitch. He made some intelligent front post runs, got an assist on Saturday to add to his 4 goals already, could've had a goal too were it not for a better finish.

He gives us a different option and an element of unpredictability which can only be a good thing. Ultimately he's got good quality, has dropped down from the premier league and we can count ourselves fortunate to have him in our squad. We're certainly a better squad and team for it than were he not here.
Moore is better than Hirst…. on 11:43 - Feb 26 with 3253 viewsSitfcB

Moore is better than Hirst…. on 11:39 - Feb 26 by Bloots

…currently.

As time goes by this deserves more and more downvotes…

Moore “underwhelming” by ITFC_Forever 10 Feb 15:52
Controls it further than most people can kick it and doesn’t jump for headers…. Looks like his feet are nailed to the ground - loses far to many headers than a man of his size should.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Moore on 11:50 - Feb 26 with 3179 viewsBiGDonnie

Lot of TWTDers made themselves look silly about us signing Moore.

He's not mobile, won't fit the style, he won't work out blah blah blah.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Moore on 11:58 - Feb 26 with 3085 viewstextbackup

A little off topic here… but I had visions of every goal coming from LDs boot onto KM head… but in the last 4 games, I’m not sure a single goal has come from the left hand side (likely I’m wrong, as normally am) but seems they’ve all come from the right side/through the middle.
Showing our strength down that side of the pitch too.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Moore on 12:01 - Feb 26 with 3037 viewsblue_curacao

Moore on 11:41 - Feb 26 by _clive_baker_

Don't think it was ever likely to materially. There seemed to be an obsession with unearthing a clone of Hirst to replace him and general dismissal of Moore by plenty on the basis he isn't mobile enough which I think is bobbins. He doesn't have the movement that Hirst does but very few do, he's physically a specimen though and works very hard in the role. He's not the immobile carthorse some would've had you believe, albeit his profile is different to Hirst. To a large extent players play how they're asked to play, and he's got the underlying capabilities to play in our system as he's shown, and also bring some variety. He's more of an aerial presence and has shown that in some of his play, but he's got good feet as well. Showed some really nice touches on Saturday, held the ball up, got others into the game, retains possession and his movement creates space for those around him which is probably evidenced in the goals we've scored with him on the pitch. He made some intelligent front post runs, got an assist on Saturday to add to his 4 goals already, could've had a goal too were it not for a better finish.

He gives us a different option and an element of unpredictability which can only be a good thing. Ultimately he's got good quality, has dropped down from the premier league and we can count ourselves fortunate to have him in our squad. We're certainly a better squad and team for it than were he not here.

I thought he was excellent on Saturday. His contribution to Omari's goal should not be underestimated; Omari himself noted that it was "planned" on the pitch and I saw someone on twitter say that they heard him shout out to Omari immediately before the nod on.

I love how quickly he has been able to fit our style of play and get on the same wavelength as team mates - always seems to make the right run to near post or back post unlike, for example, Freddie before him
Moore on 12:04 - Feb 26 with 3021 viewsJakeITFC

Question I was asked in the pub afterwards is how much would we pay for it to be a good idea to keep Moore next season?

I thought:

a) not sure we would if we went up
b) I don't know if he is the right profile to take permanently if we stay down (given wages, likely £3m or so fee?)

All of which is weird because he is a demonstrably good footballer who fits our team well and has made an immediate impact in front of goal for us.
Moore on 12:05 - Feb 26 with 2983 viewsReus30

I wasn't a doubter but he certainly has looked more mobile than I thought he would be. Very good at pressing just like everyone else and seems to have taken to the style like a duck to water.

It does make you appreciate how much Hirst runs his absolute nuts off as well though (and Freddie not so much...)
Login to get fewer ads

Moore on 12:10 - Feb 26 with 2941 viewsSmithersJones

Moore was 25 when he was here first time round and he’s improved immeasurably since. He’s clearly eager to learn and so it shouldn’t be a surprise (especially when you add McKenna into the equation) that he’s continuing that since he joined. In fact I’m struggling to think of many players who’ve improved that much in the second half of their careers.
Moore on 12:11 - Feb 26 with 2930 viewsSteve_M

Moore on 11:58 - Feb 26 by textbackup

A little off topic here… but I had visions of every goal coming from LDs boot onto KM head… but in the last 4 games, I’m not sure a single goal has come from the left hand side (likely I’m wrong, as normally am) but seems they’ve all come from the right side/through the middle.
Showing our strength down that side of the pitch too.

Leif has been quite conservative going forwards recently, I wonder whether we are managing his fitness a little bit but also teams have identified his pushing forward as a weak point so we are being slightly more cautious there. I think Birmingham's goal was only about the second time all half he had really broken forward like that.

It was definitely a tactic to get the ball out wide on the right Saturday, even if it probably took us 20 minutes to properly adjust to the change of outlet from Burns to Hutchinson - once that clicked in the second half it was fun.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Moore is better than Hirst…. on 12:16 - Feb 26 with 2852 viewsGlasgowBlue

Moore is better than Hirst…. on 11:39 - Feb 26 by Bloots

…currently.

Who starts for you in a play off final? Moore or Hirst?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Moore is better than Hirst…. on 12:25 - Feb 26 with 2793 views_clive_baker_

Moore is better than Hirst…. on 12:16 - Feb 26 by GlasgowBlue

Whoever is in the best form going in to it.

I really hope Hirst can get back to the player we were seeing. The prognosis is normally quite good and he's going to be getting the best treatment, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed he comes back the same player. Not to be a negative nelly but grade 3 hamstring injuries can be tricky.
Moore is better than Hirst…. on 12:37 - Feb 26 with 2683 viewstextbackup

If both fit… Moore

Moore on 12:39 - Feb 26 with 2669 viewstractorboy1978

Moore on 12:04 - Feb 26 by JakeITFC

Question I was asked in the pub afterwards is how much would we pay for it to be a good idea to keep Moore next season?

I thought:

b) I don't know if he is the right profile to take permanently if we stay down (given wages, likely £3m or so fee?)

All of which is weird because he is a demonstrably good footballer who fits our team well and has made an immediate impact in front of goal for us.

If we stayed in this division, I think he'd be perfect. You've got Hirst and Ali in the profile with resale value and Moore has a good three years in him given the type of striker he is. The question would be whether you could keep all 3 happy minutes wise.
Moore on 12:52 - Feb 26 with 2590 viewsArnieM

Having a striker like Moore in the side may have helped us in the second half of the season from becoming to one dimensional and predictable. I think he’s doing great and it’s nice to have an ability in both boxes to get a head to the ball.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Moore on 12:58 - Feb 26 with 2550 viewstextbackup

Moore on 12:11 - Feb 26 by Steve_M

Leif has been quite conservative going forwards recently, I wonder whether we are managing his fitness a little bit but also teams have identified his pushing forward as a weak point so we are being slightly more cautious there. I think Birmingham's goal was only about the second time all half he had really broken forward like that.

It was definitely a tactic to get the ball out wide on the right Saturday, even if it probably took us 20 minutes to properly adjust to the change of outlet from Burns to Hutchinson - once that clicked in the second half it was fun.

Every time OH had it in a 1-1 situation I expected a goal, just looks so dangerous going forwards… but I’m actually seriously impressed with his commitment to defending and his off the ball work.

Moore on 13:19 - Feb 26 with 2392 viewsSteve_M

Moore on 12:58 - Feb 26 by textbackup

Every time OH had it in a 1-1 situation I expected a goal, just looks so dangerous going forwards… but I’m actually seriously impressed with his commitment to defending and his off the ball work.

He's worked hard since he's been here, think he's struggled to manage more than 25 minutes of using the ball well at times but he was very good at Millwall and I think it was most of the ground who expected something from him in those situations second half. i thought Laird had a pretty good game for Birmingham at left back too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Moore on 13:21 - Feb 26 with 2349 viewscressi

I disagree nothing like Hirst in closing opposition down does some things well others for a man on allegedly thirty grand a week or more I think his like bambi on ice.
Can't knock his assists or goals and decent at defending dead balls against us would I want to pay a chunky fee in the summer not so sure the one thing he does do well is give other players more space and we are scoring again with a big man up top definitely better than Jackson as a centre forward.
Moore on 13:21 - Feb 26 with 2341 viewsNthQldITFC

Moore on 12:10 - Feb 26 by SmithersJones

Moore was 25 when he was here first time round and he’s improved immeasurably since. He’s clearly eager to learn and so it shouldn’t be a surprise (especially when you add McKenna into the equation) that he’s continuing that since he joined. In fact I’m struggling to think of many players who’ve improved that much in the second half of their careers.

25 and fresh here from non-league football! He's had four or five seasons of Championship or Premier League level experience since. Anyone who was referencing his previous spell here as any kind of benchmark for whether he'd be good here now was, at best, a fkn idiot!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Moore on 13:39 - Feb 26 with 2198 viewsVic

Moore on 12:04 - Feb 26 by JakeITFC

I thought:

Given that so far it's pretty clear that he's an upgrade of Freddie I reckon he's just the sort of player that we should be after if we don;t go up. We need to continue these incremental improvements to our squad. To do so it's going to cost us - but that's what investment is about isn't it.

I had my doubts about him, but so far he has been a great addition to the squad and will be real competition to Hirst when he's fit again.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Moore on 13:41 - Feb 26 with 2168 viewsReus30

Moore on 13:21 - Feb 26 by NthQldITFC

25 and fresh here from non-league football! He's had four or five seasons of Championship or Premier League level experience since. Anyone who was referencing his previous spell here as any kind of benchmark for whether he'd be good here now was, at best, a fkn idiot!

Also bear in mind that international football (for any nation) would do absolute wonders for your confidence and probably give you an extra 10-20%
Mooro. (n/t) on 14:06 - Feb 26 with 2051 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Moore on 14:11 - Feb 26 with 2025 viewsDanTheMan

Moore on 13:19 - Feb 26 by Steve_M

He's worked hard since he's been here, think he's struggled to manage more than 25 minutes of using the ball well at times but he was very good at Millwall and I think it was most of the ground who expected something from him in those situations second half. i thought Laird had a pretty good game for Birmingham at left back too.

Felt a bit sorry for Laird, as you say he was having a good game but he must have been exhausted by the end of it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Moore is better than Hirst…. on 14:37 - Feb 26 with 1904 viewsGlasgowBlue

Moore is better than Hirst…. on 12:37 - Feb 26 by textbackup

If both fit… Moore

If was was in McKenna's shoes I'd start a fit Hirst, who would press the defence more and run them ragged. Then put Moore on for the second half who would pulverise a tired defence.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Moore is better than Hirst…. on 14:58 - Feb 26 with 1838 viewsAlberto_the_frog

They can only play for two clubs in a season, so it would have to be Hirst, but why would we cancel his contract and let him sign to a competitor as a free agent just after he'd got fit?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024