Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article 11:31 - Feb 25 with 1768 viewssuffolkpunchdrunk

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakgarnerpurkis/2024/02/24/an-ipswich-town-promotio
Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 11:46 - Feb 25 with 1678 viewsChorleyBoy

Interesting article that. I'd like to see parachute payments swapped for catapult payments to teams getting promoted.
Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 11:59 - Feb 25 with 1636 viewsRyorry

“Currently, the barrier to any change is the fact it is the Premier League clubs who make decisions about changes to the parachute payments.”

Particularly depressing that clubs like Luton pull up the drawbridge once in the Prem.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 13:31 - Feb 25 with 1445 viewsmonty_radio

The larger claim of that article from a respected financial institution is that, if we were to be promoted. the Premier League could use it as evidence to the government of accessibility etc - that the Prem is potentially open to any.

Much as I'm personally invested in our upward trajectory, I think that we all know that under Evans (or - insert most owners) such things as we are seeing would have been beyond our reach. Our beloved K McK himself is far too measured and measuring to have committed his own trajectory to anything less than the backing we so obviously now have. Not too many EFL clubs would be in a position to offer the Prem a crumb of potential egalitarian evidence.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 13:56 - Feb 25 with 1341 viewsOldFart71

We have to ask ourselves what we want from football. Whilst full admitting I'm biased having followed Town since the 1950's sport needs to look at itself. Whilst it's plain that come major tournaments in athletics the likes of USA, Russia and China are going to be the top medal winners an internal thing such as football when it comes to the English Divisions whilst you will always get big and little fish because of the financial clout, crowds, sponsorship etc it shouldn't detract from the fact that these parachute payments are creating lopsided Leagues and the higher the League the greater the financial benefits to those getting relegated. It would be classed as failure by all and sundry if a club was demoted from the Premier League and then failed to get promoted again at the end of the following season due to the many millions they receive in the parachute payments. Most will hold on to a majority of their Premier League footballers.
Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 14:19 - Feb 25 with 1266 viewsGuthrum

Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 11:59 - Feb 25 by Ryorry

“Currently, the barrier to any change is the fact it is the Premier League clubs who make decisions about changes to the parachute payments.”

Particularly depressing that clubs like Luton pull up the drawbridge once in the Prem.

The underlying issue is that the Prem makes all the money, by selling its TV rights. The cash is theirs to hand out.

The Sky marketing machine (before they lost their monopoly) turned the English first tier into a product which people worldwide were prepared to pay hundreds of pounds a year to watch. A portion of that cash was fed back in to keep the gravy train rolling (e.g. by enabling clubs to hire most of the world's best players). Which, in turn, created massive inflation as clubs strove to get there for financial, rather than solely footballing reasons. Clubs became investment opportunities, rather than possessions of old county families, small businessmen or pop-star playthings.

Sky and the Prem carry a lot of guilt for the state of modern English League Football. In a sense, tho I doubt they feel that way, there is a real responsibility to sort out some of the problems. Otherwise, their sport may collapse or, more likely, be taken from them by a government in search of easy votes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 14:43 - Feb 25 with 1219 viewsHighgateBlue

Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 11:46 - Feb 25 by ChorleyBoy

Interesting article that. I'd like to see parachute payments swapped for catapult payments to teams getting promoted.

Interesting idea which is worthy of thought.

My immediate reaction, and I may easily have overlooked something, is that it would encourage greater spending by new EPL teams, causing greater chance of financial ruin for those who are relegated (without parachutes). One could say that we need a few big failures to change football in a radical way, but I couldn't take such a view given that every team has thousands of real fans who love their club.

Such a difficult issue. If only we could wind the clock back 30-odd years, but sadly we can't.

Player wages have gone from barely leaving retired pros with a reasonable life, to making brench warmers at some clubs multimillionaires at a very young age. Meanwhile, I'm not sure the change in football finances has really benefitted anyone else at all - even the vast majority of owners (be they dodgy or slightly less dodgy) don't really make a profit. Such a curious one.
Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 11:13 - Feb 26 with 831 viewsmonty_radio

Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 14:43 - Feb 25 by HighgateBlue

Interesting idea which is worthy of thought.

My immediate reaction, and I may easily have overlooked something, is that it would encourage greater spending by new EPL teams, causing greater chance of financial ruin for those who are relegated (without parachutes). One could say that we need a few big failures to change football in a radical way, but I couldn't take such a view given that every team has thousands of real fans who love their club.

Such a difficult issue. If only we could wind the clock back 30-odd years, but sadly we can't.

Player wages have gone from barely leaving retired pros with a reasonable life, to making brench warmers at some clubs multimillionaires at a very young age. Meanwhile, I'm not sure the change in football finances has really benefitted anyone else at all - even the vast majority of owners (be they dodgy or slightly less dodgy) don't really make a profit. Such a curious one.

We need millions and millions more before it can trickle down to the loos and their queues at the back of the West.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Ipswich Town Promotion Is Essential For The Premier League - Forbes Article on 11:28 - Feb 26 with 801 viewsHerbivore

Parachute payments have basically created Prem sponsored financial doping in the Championship. FFP is a well meaning initiative to stop clubs overstretching themselves to try to compete with parachute payments clubs but all it's really done is further entrench the vast inequality between those who have parachute payments and those who do not.

I am not against parachute payments entirely, lest we forget they are partly the product of sides like us and Leicester ending up in administrator in the early 2000s because of the financial cliff edge that existed at the time (aided by the collapse of ITV digital) for sides who were relegated. This meant a fire sale of key assets and years of stagnation in our case. However, it's now gone WAY too far the other way. Relegated sides can hold out for massive fees for players that they choose to sell and can reinvest that buying players who are completely out of reach of everyone else in the league. They can maintain large squads of top quality players on high wages in a way that other sides can't. There has to be more of a balance. Nobody wants sides going under, but at the same time you shouldn't be rewarded so handsomely for failure and relegation needs to come with some pain attached to it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024