Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vaz 21:58 - Feb 20 with 6126 viewsnrb1985

Excellent with his feet, we all know that.

That is never the less, since Leicester, 4/5 goals now in two months you would reasonably have expected him to not concede. Their second tonight was bat sh*t insane, I have no idea what he’s doing losing his head like that.

Win is a win though and great finish by Omari and great character to come back to win it again. COYB.
[Post edited 20 Feb 22:00]
Vaz on 22:01 - Feb 20 with 4015 viewsOsmansCleanSheet

He’s not good enough unfortunately. Whichever league we’re in next season we’ll need better.
Vaz on 22:04 - Feb 20 with 3945 viewsnrb1985

Vaz on 22:01 - Feb 20 by OsmansCleanSheet

He’s not good enough unfortunately. Whichever league we’re in next season we’ll need better.

Since Xmas he’s really looked shaky - just wondering whether at this stage of the season, the calm and steadying influence of Walton outweighs Vaz’s superior ability with his feet.

As I said, their second goal was farcical. Complete rush of blood when the he situation was under control. Ridiculous.
Vaz on 22:11 - Feb 20 with 3866 viewsOsmansCleanSheet

Vaz on 22:04 - Feb 20 by nrb1985

Since Xmas he’s really looked shaky - just wondering whether at this stage of the season, the calm and steadying influence of Walton outweighs Vaz’s superior ability with his feet.

As I said, their second goal was farcical. Complete rush of blood when the he situation was under control. Ridiculous.

Yeah I’d probably agree with that. Vaz just doesn’t fill me with any confidence any time the ball goes into our penalty area. Also seems to punch a lot when he should just catch the bloody ball.
[Post edited 20 Feb 22:13]
Vaz on 22:19 - Feb 20 with 3770 viewsalial

Vaz on 22:01 - Feb 20 by OsmansCleanSheet

Was fouled for one of the goals imo. At least in the Prem next year, VAR would overturn it ;)
Vaz on 22:20 - Feb 20 with 3760 viewsitfcserbia

While Vaz' decision was not great, it was a clear foul as Morisson elbowed him in the chest plus the ball hit Morrison on his other arm. So that goal is more farcical because of Sh*t Stroud than Vaz if we're being honest.

Semper fidelis!
Poll: Would you sack Paul Cook?

Vaz on 22:22 - Feb 20 with 3705 viewstractorshark

I think he’s got enough credit in the bank this season to stay in the side.

I can’t see McKenna ditching him.

To be fair, it was a dreadful attempt at a punch but the first goal I’ve seen us concede like that this season.

I agree he’s been at fault for a few other goals recently but, as I just said about Tuanzebe, Walton’s stock rises the more he’s out of the side.

But Walton has a mistake in him as well.
Vaz on 22:29 - Feb 20 with 3616 viewsRobTheMonk

The second was a funny one. Hladky generally leaves those balls to the centre backs. If he’s coming for the punch, he needs to be double fisting that rather than some kind of jab.

I do agree that he should be catching some of those crosses, but he punches a lot of them. However, if he does it more often than not, which I think he does with the 50/50 catch/punch ones, then there’s an element of predictability which as a outfield player is what you want from your goalie.

I think he keeps his place, but with a look over his shoulder at Walton and Slicker.
Vaz on 23:20 - Feb 20 with 3463 viewsVegtablue

I'm becoming more sympathetic to this opinion. Hladky's had more bad moments than good since Christmas now. The second goal was awful even if there was a minor foul (only saw it once live so don't know).

Difficulty we have though is the worst keeping performance this season was, by some distance, Walton's against Fulham. If anyone missed it there's a 5 min highlights video on YouTube. He was rooted to his line for much of his 2nd match against Wimbledon and wasn't close to Maidstone's well-taken efforts in his 3rd. It's unfair to judge him on three stop-starts but equally it doesn't suggest he's ready to perform to the level we need from a standing start.

I think it's perhaps overlooked how dominant we were last season and how much quieter our penalty area was. Without detracting from the mistake Hladky made tonight, it shouldn't be forgotten that Walton made an almost identical (probably slightly worse) error in the depths of the run-in against Cheltenham. Alfie May punished him and we drew 1-1. Short highlights of that incident are available on YouTube. Wednesday went back above us that day but thankfully we won our game in hand against Barnsley. When both keepers commit the same batsh!t errors in their respective run-ins I'm not sure you have an obviously safer option.

I think we need to keep backing Hladky in the same way that we need to keep backing Woolf and Clarke (hopefully not too bad). Mistakes are being made but our best options for now are on the pitch.
Login to get fewer ads

Vaz on 23:22 - Feb 20 with 3413 views_clive_baker_

The 2nd goal was absolutely horrendous. He has enough credit in the bank from his performances thus far, not least on Saturday, but that was absolutely pony goalkeeping. He doesn’t command aerial balls into his box particularly well, we know that, but this was especially bad.
Vaz on 23:47 - Feb 20 with 3312 viewsN2_Blue

It was a bad error tonight for the 2nd goal but still don't think he's done much wrong.

Walton did similar in the Cheltenham away game last season that cost us the win. He was also woeful in that Charlton away game

Don't see any reason to change keepers. Vaz has my backing, he's gives us so much more with he ball at feet.

If errors regularly creep in then yes look at changing it, but as Walton proved last season, no keeper doesn't make the occasional ricket with balls in the box and other than tonights shocker i don't think Vaz has done much wrong. Yes there have been a couple of shaky passes but that's inevitable with how we ask him to play. Walton can't play that way and he did he'd be making way more wayward passes than Vaz.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Vaz on 00:14 - Feb 21 with 3223 viewsSteve_M

Careful, I got -55 or something for complaining about his inability to use his hands half the time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Vaz on 06:54 - Feb 21 with 3001 viewsAsa

Hladky has been superb all season.

He was crap last night. Just like every other player.

It’s just his awful error was punished far more than similar howlers other players made.
Vaz on 07:38 - Feb 21 with 2862 viewsNutkins_Return

Vaz on 22:22 - Feb 20 by tractorshark

I think he’s got enough credit in the bank this season to stay in the side.

I can’t see McKenna ditching him.

To be fair, it was a dreadful attempt at a punch but the first goal I’ve seen us concede like that this season.

I agree he’s been at fault for a few other goals recently but, as I just said about Tuanzebe, Walton’s stock rises the more he’s out of the side.

But Walton has a mistake in him as well.

I agree with a lot of that but not about Walton's stock rising. I've actually found it bizarre how his stock fell since Hladky came in. Hladky has had credit in the bank for sure but it's running very short.

I think it's forgotten just what a good goalkeeper Walton is to a degree. The issue is Walton can't be expected to be immediately back to top form so that's the risk. He might make an error or two himself before he's fully on form. I just think if we end up in playoffs I'd be more confident with him.

It's a tough call
Vaz on 09:06 - Feb 21 with 2727 viewstractorboy1978

Vaz on 00:14 - Feb 21 by Steve_M

Careful, I got -55 or something for complaining about his inability to use his hands half the time.

I've also noticed that people seem to totally over egg any save he makes as well. That one against Swansea was being lauded as a top save but it was right down his throat! If that goes in you are fuming.

He's obviously quality with his feet but the price we pay for that is a keeper that tries to punch pretty much everything and has a propensity to let shots through him. Found it interesting last night that from every corner we seemed to have Moore standing almost on top of Vas as we knew that was where every ball was going. So we are aware of it, and it is obviously a cost/benefit analysis McKenna has done.
[Post edited 21 Feb 9:08]
Vaz on 09:14 - Feb 21 with 2686 viewsrickw

I would consider the change now, even his passing last night wasn't up to his usual standard.

However Walton was poor against Maidstone and Fulham so maybe it'll take him a few games to get back to his best, can we give him a few games? Not likely

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Vaz on 09:15 - Feb 21 with 2673 viewsSteve_M

Vaz on 09:06 - Feb 21 by tractorboy1978

I've also noticed that people seem to totally over egg any save he makes as well. That one against Swansea was being lauded as a top save but it was right down his throat! If that goes in you are fuming.

He's obviously quality with his feet but the price we pay for that is a keeper that tries to punch pretty much everything and has a propensity to let shots through him. Found it interesting last night that from every corner we seemed to have Moore standing almost on top of Vas as we knew that was where every ball was going. So we are aware of it, and it is obviously a cost/benefit analysis McKenna has done.

Yes, and that was presumably part of the reason we kept Moore on for so long when his pressing was largely non-existent later in the second half (hopefully the knock isn't too serious).

I do think for the big matches that the added risk of giving a soft goal away probably doesn't compensate for the benefit of Vaz being so good with his feet, but over the season it does. Not that a rusty Walton is necessarily any better at the moment.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Vaz on 09:16 - Feb 21 with 2662 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Vaz on 22:19 - Feb 20 by alial

Was fouled for one of the goals imo. At least in the Prem next year, VAR would overturn it ;)

I didn’t think there was any foul. He’s chosen to go into a congested area and just flapped at the ball.

He’s done great for us over the course of the season. I’ll hold my hand up and admit that at the start of the season when Walton was injured I wanted to recruit another keeper. He’s proved me wrong and I think it would be a mistake to drop him at this stage of the season.

That said, I still think Walton is the better keeper and starts for us next season. Vas is out of contract in the summer and it’s a bit surprising that there hasn’t been an extension on this put in place unless he’s off in the summer?

Poll: Our final position

Vaz on 09:17 - Feb 21 with 2655 viewsElderGrizzly

I wonder for the 2nd, he'd watched Woolfenden lose a lot of those last night so felt he needed to do something he otherwise wouldn't?

I think a soft goal every now and again is worth it for how he enables us to play for 99% of the time.
Vaz on 09:32 - Feb 21 with 2606 viewsFifeITFC

Vaz on 09:14 - Feb 21 by rickw

I would consider the change now, even his passing last night wasn't up to his usual standard.

However Walton was poor against Maidstone and Fulham so maybe it'll take him a few games to get back to his best, can we give him a few games? Not likely

I must admit, I was pleased that Vaz has largely taken his chance and shown us what he is capable of as I know reading on here there was a lot of doubt and concern when Walton got injured pre-season.

For me, I'm edging more towards a return for Walton but it would take him a few games to get back into his stride (assuming he's capable of returning to his best).

With us chasing promotion and well within the pack with Leeds and Southampton, do you really want to them play that gamble of fielding a rusty goalkeeper returning to match sharpness (particularly needed for a keeper) when you need to keep chasing the points?

See how Vaz does on Saturday, I think, and hope it's just a 'blip' for him.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Vaz on 09:38 - Feb 21 with 2566 viewstractorboy1978

Vaz on 09:17 - Feb 21 by ElderGrizzly

I wonder for the 2nd, he'd watched Woolfenden lose a lot of those last night so felt he needed to do something he otherwise wouldn't?

I think a soft goal every now and again is worth it for how he enables us to play for 99% of the time.

All well and good until a soft goal really costs us in a big game. I'm convinced we don't lose 4-3 to Leeds with Walton in goal. It's a real conundrum isn't it? I can't ever remember a keeper before that has won more points with his feet than his hands, but that is very much the case here!
Vaz on 09:39 - Feb 21 with 2555 viewsLankHenners

Vaz on 09:06 - Feb 21 by tractorboy1978

Think it's natural when things are going well that players get over-praised (and the reverse in a bad spell) but agree it's a bit odd and have said as much with regards to certain other players who will do something good but ultimately very basic and get lauded like they've performed a miracle.

Quite a bit of 'Hladky stopped us being 6-1 down' or whatever in some games which is only true if every single shot the opposition had went in, including those which were pretty comfortable saves.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Vaz on 09:42 - Feb 21 with 2533 viewsbraveblue

The whole team showed little confidence tonight. The defence struggled to win headers so I suspect he felt he had to help out. Poor decision but I would not drop him. His ability on the ball is very important to our style of play.
Vaz on 09:45 - Feb 21 with 2516 viewshype313

He's great with his feet, he's been key to our play.

However, he doesn't command his box well enough for me, which in turn causes the defence to be a bit jittery.

He was awful last night, back to his early days, but everyone's due an off night.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Vaz on 09:53 - Feb 21 with 2476 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Vaz on 09:39 - Feb 21 by LankHenners

Think it's natural when things are going well that players get over-praised (and the reverse in a bad spell) but agree it's a bit odd and have said as much with regards to certain other players who will do something good but ultimately very basic and get lauded like they've performed a miracle.

Quite a bit of 'Hladky stopped us being 6-1 down' or whatever in some games which is only true if every single shot the opposition had went in, including those which were pretty comfortable saves.

To be fair Walton was getting the same OTT praise last season as well. These guys are professionals. They should be good shotstoppers otherwise they’re in the wrong job!

Personally I think we’re too deep into the season to start changing keepers. My worry is that the effect that it would have on the defenders in front of him.

Poll: Our final position

Vaz on 12:43 - Feb 21 with 2339 viewsbazza

Vaz on 00:14 - Feb 21 by Steve_M

Yea but wasn’t that during the game he played a blinder , and was man of the match, and was currently in top form, making match defining saves.. was that the time ..?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024