Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS 09:34 - Feb 18 with 1452 viewsRyorry

And missing a great series of Tests out in India.

But then 28-4 this morning and it’s BCWYWF …

Poll: Time of the annunciation

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 10:46 - Feb 18 with 1381 viewsChrisd

Honestly, the limitations of Bazball shown up during our first innings where we just gave the advantage back to the Indians with players giving their wickets away cheaply. For all the good of Bazball it drives me nuts how we just don’t seem capable of batting the situation of the game. Instead we just keep hitting and getting out. Our first innings score should’ve been a lot closer to theirs, instead we have a large deficit and the shambles of this 2nd innings is rather embarrassing.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:01 - Feb 18 with 1358 viewsFtnfwest

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 10:46 - Feb 18 by Chrisd

Honestly, the limitations of Bazball shown up during our first innings where we just gave the advantage back to the Indians with players giving their wickets away cheaply. For all the good of Bazball it drives me nuts how we just don’t seem capable of batting the situation of the game. Instead we just keep hitting and getting out. Our first innings score should’ve been a lot closer to theirs, instead we have a large deficit and the shambles of this 2nd innings is rather embarrassing.

It does expose bazballs limitations but also the limitations of the players we have. There are no test players other than root, jimmy and stokes who can obviously play any format, plus none coming through. Other than the entertainment side, bazball was created to mask this deficiency and we just have to take the rough with the smooth on it really.
I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:33 - Feb 18 with 1318 viewsChrisd

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:01 - Feb 18 by Ftnfwest

It does expose bazballs limitations but also the limitations of the players we have. There are no test players other than root, jimmy and stokes who can obviously play any format, plus none coming through. Other than the entertainment side, bazball was created to mask this deficiency and we just have to take the rough with the smooth on it really.

I don’t agree with that, Root was terrific last year but the way he is currently playing he is the worst at giving his wicket away cheaply with daft shots. He doesn’t need to do it, just play your natural game, he scores quickly enough. Foakes is another and by the way that lad is one of the best behind the stumps in world cricket. That first innings was a perfect example, where we’ve simply thrown away any advantage we had down the pan and put ourselves way behind the game. It’s like our batsmen aren’t allowed to adapt, just keep smacking it about until you get out. There needs to be a bit more balance in their approach IMO. That second innings was woeful and pathetic.

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:35 - Feb 18 with 1310 viewsPlums

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:01 - Feb 18 by Ftnfwest

They showed a graphic of the test averages of the batting order when Crawley got out this morning. I was surprised how low they actually are. Current players in blue
https://www.espncricinfo.com/records/team/batting-most-runs-career/england-1/tes

Whilst Bazball is great to watch, it does seem to rely on one of the 11 batting well beyond their norm to deliver.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:52 - Feb 18 with 1277 viewsstonojnr

so in what way is Bazball any good then ?
I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 12:38 - Feb 18 with 1244 views_clive_baker_

I think there’s an element of taking the rough with the smooth. Kind of like ‘playing out from the back’, but in this case I agree with you. Getting run out out when you’re chasing 550 for example is just baffling.
I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 12:52 - Feb 18 with 1227 viewscatch74

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:52 - Feb 18 by stonojnr

so in what way is Bazball any good then ?

I think you could align it to our current set up under McKenna, no fear - play on the front foot, take risks, make that pass/ play that shot. England rugby have used the example of our cricket team for how they want to play.
With cricket, if it goes wrong we get punished - same with the cricket team. If we are playing in India, batting second with some players limited in their ability to play there it feels like the risk/ reward balance will be heavily swayed to the risk. I guess similar if we did manage to make the top division.
Yet to see in the case of rugby, although I think defensively we’re a bit more all in than we used to be. In all instances, hopefully it creates more of an enjoyable spectacle (it has surely.)

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 14:38 - Feb 18 with 1123 viewsFtnfwest

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:33 - Feb 18 by Chrisd

I don’t agree with that, Root was terrific last year but the way he is currently playing he is the worst at giving his wicket away cheaply with daft shots. He doesn’t need to do it, just play your natural game, he scores quickly enough. Foakes is another and by the way that lad is one of the best behind the stumps in world cricket. That first innings was a perfect example, where we’ve simply thrown away any advantage we had down the pan and put ourselves way behind the game. It’s like our batsmen aren’t allowed to adapt, just keep smacking it about until you get out. There needs to be a bit more balance in their approach IMO. That second innings was woeful and pathetic.

Not sure I’ve said root isn’t a good player, but you’re right about foakes at least being test standard batting and a very good keeper. It’s catch 22 though, without dominating the bowling like we did on Friday we wouldn’t have been in that encouraging position. In the old days we’d have prodded around and got for 100 in both innings.
Login to get fewer ads

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 16:11 - Feb 18 with 1089 viewsstonojnr

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 12:52 - Feb 18 by catch74

I think you could align it to our current set up under McKenna, no fear - play on the front foot, take risks, make that pass/ play that shot. England rugby have used the example of our cricket team for how they want to play.
With cricket, if it goes wrong we get punished - same with the cricket team. If we are playing in India, batting second with some players limited in their ability to play there it feels like the risk/ reward balance will be heavily swayed to the risk. I guess similar if we did manage to make the top division.
Yet to see in the case of rugby, although I think defensively we’re a bit more all in than we used to be. In all instances, hopefully it creates more of an enjoyable spectacle (it has surely.)

Crucially though the difference is McKenna teaches our players when not to over commit, how to defend and they're quite happy to be patient.

The cricketers on the other hand seem to think plan A is try to hit every ball for 6, and plan B is just keep trying plan A.

Test cricket is as much about defending well as it is attacking, they should have been planning to bat through to stumps today at a minimum.

Instead we have various players habitually sweeping or trying to hit the ball out the ground, not one even attempted a block or defensive stroke off a delivery let alone an over or a sequence of overs.

Cook blamed it on scoreboard pressure, LOL, why was the score even an issue at that stage, if we were still batting after tea tomorrow, then I'd look at the score, because by then we'd probably be well on the way to getting the total needed.
I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 16:40 - Feb 18 with 1071 viewsChrisd

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 16:11 - Feb 18 by stonojnr

Crucially though the difference is McKenna teaches our players when not to over commit, how to defend and they're quite happy to be patient.

The cricketers on the other hand seem to think plan A is try to hit every ball for 6, and plan B is just keep trying plan A.

Test cricket is as much about defending well as it is attacking, they should have been planning to bat through to stumps today at a minimum.

Instead we have various players habitually sweeping or trying to hit the ball out the ground, not one even attempted a block or defensive stroke off a delivery let alone an over or a sequence of overs.

Cook blamed it on scoreboard pressure, LOL, why was the score even an issue at that stage, if we were still batting after tea tomorrow, then I'd look at the score, because by then we'd probably be well on the way to getting the total needed.

There was no way we were getting 550+ to win, we lost that Test match with our first innings score. We were in a really good position at 207-2 and then throw it all away with needless shots instead of trying to compile a competitive total. Completely agree with your Plan A and Plan B example, that’s exactly how it comes across to me with our approach.

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 17:43 - Feb 18 with 1033 viewsford6600

Another deflating defeat. Sometimes the whole team goes it seems into capitulation mode. Whenever we have a good result the press comes out with so much hyperbole it's impossible for the players to live up to and probably motivates the opposition. We seem to have highs and lows and little consistency. Sorry for Duckett sent back by Choppers (Crawley) who saves his own wicket but gets the hard working Duckett out. Still can't understand why Crawley despite so many mostly underwhelming or in this case destructive appearances keeps getting chosen...
I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 09:58 - Feb 23 with 792 viewscatch74

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:33 - Feb 18 by Chrisd

Playing a test match innings and test match pace, definitely suits Root!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:15 - Feb 23 with 726 viewspointofblue

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 09:58 - Feb 23 by catch74

No Bumrah probably helped too but it was a superb innings from Root.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:28 - Feb 23 with 696 viewsWhos_blue

ROOOOOOT!

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 11:42 - Feb 23 with 671 viewsDubai_Blue

You can listen to it on Talk Sport
I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 20:34 - Feb 23 with 574 viewsChrisd

I was going to moan about not being able to get TMS on 09:58 - Feb 23 by catch74

Yep, far more measured. When he bats like that he shows everyone what a top batsman he is, let the others smack it around. He doesn’t need to do that. Impressed we managed to make 300+ on that wicket. England’s day for me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024