Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Ashton 07:52 - Feb 14 with 3487 viewsEC2_Blue

Last season, and at the start of this one, I took a great deal of comfort from Mark Ashton's frequent interviews and press releases.

In many ways he acted as a shield against too much media pressure on some players and KMcK.

Unless I have missed it, though, he seems to have gone very quiet this year, other than in the programme- which not everyone buys nowadays and is quite expensive for what it is.

Without wanting to impose on his very busy community/ ground development/ squad evolution schedule, it would be reassuring to hear from him re: the developing speculation over KMcK.

He can't respond to everything which whoever is behind Football League World or other unaccountable gossip pages put out there, however it does seem that the wider media pick up on their stuff and run with it, thereby creating the risk of stories becoming self-fulfilling.

On the current one perhaps the club could give some reassurance (if any is to be had). This would at least counter what I felt was a pretty lukewarm response from the boss when asked about the position.
Mark Ashton on 08:16 - Feb 14 with 2884 viewsFixed_It

Kieran is under contract. There is a large compensation clause in it. He is focussed on the job in hand and is happy here. But if a big club come in for him there's not much we can do about it, and if Kieran decides to go it will be with our best wishes. We have all eventualities covered.

There. Done it for you. Happy now?
[Post edited 14 Feb 8:18]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Mark Ashton on 08:25 - Feb 14 with 2814 viewsJimmy86

Mark Ashton on 08:16 - Feb 14 by Fixed_It

Kieran is under contract. There is a large compensation clause in it. He is focussed on the job in hand and is happy here. But if a big club come in for him there's not much we can do about it, and if Kieran decides to go it will be with our best wishes. We have all eventualities covered.

There. Done it for you. Happy now?
[Post edited 14 Feb 8:18]

Are you Mark ASHTON?!
Mark Ashton on 08:26 - Feb 14 with 2806 viewsFixed_It

Mark Ashton on 08:25 - Feb 14 by Jimmy86

Are you Mark ASHTON?!

Shhhh!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Mark Ashton on 08:40 - Feb 14 with 2745 viewshomer_123

There is no reassurance fella.

KM will eventually go - what will be will be.

Let's just enjoy the ride and not expend any worry on something we cannot control.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Mark Ashton on 08:43 - Feb 14 with 2723 viewsSteve_M

It must be quite hard for Ashton to keep a low profile though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mark Ashton on 08:45 - Feb 14 with 2706 viewsBseaBlue

Mark Ashton on 08:40 - Feb 14 by homer_123

There is no reassurance fella.

KM will eventually go - what will be will be.

Let's just enjoy the ride and not expend any worry on something we cannot control.

This is the point I am at now to be honest. I will be gutted to see him go but ultimately it is his own good work that would have provided him with the opportunity in the first place.

I have full trust in MA and his dashboard that he will likely have the replacement lined up anyway.
Mark Ashton on 08:49 - Feb 14 with 2649 viewsTractorCam

May be wrong but I don't remember him being too active during the season, just around the transfer windows.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Mark Ashton on 08:52 - Feb 14 with 2631 viewsSomethingBlue

I don’t think there is anything for the club to say in public, especially as the most recent story correctly states Palace haven’t succeeded with their overtures. Perhaps the summer will be a different matter. But I can’t see that giving it further oxygen at this point would be remotely productive.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Ashton on 09:19 - Feb 14 with 2470 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Lukewarm?

Other than saying, "Eagles schmeagles, I hate Crystal Palace, they've got a supermarket stuck onto their stadium and I'll never go there" what more did you want him to say? It was the standard, professional response.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Mark Ashton on 09:27 - Feb 14 with 2405 viewsPinewoodblue

Mark Ashton on 08:52 - Feb 14 by SomethingBlue

I don’t think there is anything for the club to say in public, especially as the most recent story correctly states Palace haven’t succeeded with their overtures. Perhaps the summer will be a different matter. But I can’t see that giving it further oxygen at this point would be remotely productive.

KMc has achieved far far more, in two years, than any fan dreamed possible. His reward is that he is in demand elsewhere but that doesn’t mean he will leave anytime soon.

I don’t know him, none of us do, but I don’t believe he will move on until he achieves any target he has set himself. No way did he come to Portman Road with the intention of using us as a stepping stone to get to manage a club like Crystal Palace.

His energies are concentrated on this evening’s game, tomorrow it will be build up to Swansea. As he rightly says there are no easy games in The Chsmpionship.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mark Ashton on 09:30 - Feb 14 with 2387 viewsblueasfook

Mark Ashton on 09:27 - Feb 14 by Pinewoodblue

KMc has achieved far far more, in two years, than any fan dreamed possible. His reward is that he is in demand elsewhere but that doesn’t mean he will leave anytime soon.

I don’t know him, none of us do, but I don’t believe he will move on until he achieves any target he has set himself. No way did he come to Portman Road with the intention of using us as a stepping stone to get to manage a club like Crystal Palace.

His energies are concentrated on this evening’s game, tomorrow it will be build up to Swansea. As he rightly says there are no easy games in The Chsmpionship.

so say you're in a 50k year a job at a local company doing well. Google come along and offer you 100k a year. You're going to stay at the local company just because you feel you owe them something?

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Mark Ashton on 09:50 - Feb 14 with 2259 viewsPinewoodblue

Mark Ashton on 09:30 - Feb 14 by blueasfook

so say you're in a 50k year a job at a local company doing well. Google come along and offer you 100k a year. You're going to stay at the local company just because you feel you owe them something?

I guess how you look at it depends on your personal values. It may be a generational thing, you might look at it differently than someone older, or younger, than you.

I’m sure that KMc’s current contract offers him a substantial financial reward both for achieving promotion and increase in salary. No financial gain in going to South London and no bigger a challenge for him.

Now if it was West Ham things might be different, no way could you consider working for a basket case of an owner like working for Google.

2023 year of destiny

Mark Ashton on 09:57 - Feb 14 with 2222 viewsblueasfook

Mark Ashton on 09:50 - Feb 14 by Pinewoodblue

I guess how you look at it depends on your personal values. It may be a generational thing, you might look at it differently than someone older, or younger, than you.

I’m sure that KMc’s current contract offers him a substantial financial reward both for achieving promotion and increase in salary. No financial gain in going to South London and no bigger a challenge for him.

Now if it was West Ham things might be different, no way could you consider working for a basket case of an owner like working for Google.

Fair enough in the case of Palace. I don't see how that would be a good move for KM. A few losses, the fans will be on his back and the owner looking to sack him.

But in terms of a career, I am sure KM will want to work at the highest level given a chance. I think we need to accept that he will move on if some big club comes in for him, which given his rising reputation, is a distinct possibility.

Mark Ashton on 09:59 - Feb 14 with 2163 viewsAsa

Mark Ashton on 09:30 - Feb 14 by blueasfook

How do staff salaries work? Aren't they outside of FFP?

Seem to recall something about how much Rooney was paid as Derby player / manager that meant he technically didn't count against the player wages.

I guess the potential here is that the ownership group, if so inclined, could match McKenna's wages offered by a mid to lower Premier League side if they wished and this didn't count against anything we are measured against. The question there is how high would they go before they felt they weren't getting value.

I think there's certainly indicators that, if ever a manager was likely to be 'loyal' it's McKenna but I don't see that as being he owes Ipswich and is grateful. More than he's got everything in place here, fans love him, players love him and he's built something he's proud of.

Ultimately there will be a level and salary we can't offer him that will negate that security but I do feel like McKenna is the most likely sort of bloke that could turn down Chelsea to stay at Brighton because he'd see the bigger picture and that it might just be a short term payday rather than a sustainable position to build upon.

He'd be perfect for an ambitious mid-table Premier League club but he may well feel that he's got the backing here to allow us to be that in the next 1-2 years, against a move to a Premier League side where he could be out of a job in 12 months unless he makes immediate progress there like he did here, which will be much, much harder.

I do think he'll go but we are quite fortunate that we are a well supported top end Championship club that is inter-changable with a lot of the teams looking at him currently.

If we fail to go up this year, next or his stock rises to one of the biggest 10 teams in the country then not much we can do to stop him. It'll be off the back of him taking the club further forward than we imagined in that time.
Mark Ashton on 10:03 - Feb 14 with 2122 viewsPinewoodblue

Mark Ashton on 09:57 - Feb 14 by blueasfook

Fair enough in the case of Palace. I don't see how that would be a good move for KM. A few losses, the fans will be on his back and the owner looking to sack him.

But in terms of a career, I am sure KM will want to work at the highest level given a chance. I think we need to accept that he will move on if some big club comes in for him, which given his rising reputation, is a distinct possibility.

He will when the time is right but he has unfinished business here. Remember he has full financial backing only hindered by regulation.

2023 year of destiny

Mark Ashton on 10:13 - Feb 14 with 2040 viewsblueasfook

Mark Ashton on 10:03 - Feb 14 by Pinewoodblue

He will when the time is right but he has unfinished business here. Remember he has full financial backing only hindered by regulation.

What is his "unfinished business" here exactly? When he was brought in, his remit I expect was to get us back into the Championship. At the beginning of this season, I imagine his objective was to keep us up. He's achieved above and beyond even his own expectations I guess. Do you think Ashton has told him he can't leave until we win the Champions League or something?
[Post edited 14 Feb 10:14]

Mark Ashton on 10:17 - Feb 14 with 2001 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not a lot he can say is there?

It’s like the cowboys who own the franchise with Ashton & O’Leary - things are going well so why rock the boat?

Plus any utterances probably have to be approved by the real owners now - and they were too busy wondering if Taylor Swift would get to the Super Bowl on time.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Mark Ashton on 10:17 - Feb 14 with 2008 viewsPhilTWTD

Mark Ashton on 09:57 - Feb 14 by blueasfook

It might prove to be his only chance of getting a Premier League job. Managers can go from being hot property to also-rans very quickly. Look at how George Burley went from Manager of the Year and fifth in the Premier League to relegation in a season and was never talked about in relation to bigger jobs again.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Mark Ashton on 10:18 - Feb 14 with 1988 viewsblueasfook

Mark Ashton on 10:17 - Feb 14 by PhilTWTD

It might prove to be his only chance of getting a Premier League job. Managers can go from being hot property to also-rans very quickly. Look at how George Burley went from Manager of the Year and fifth in the Premier League to relegation in a season and was never talked about in relation to bigger jobs again.

True. Fortunes can change very quickly on the managerial stock market!

Mark Ashton on 10:19 - Feb 14 with 1965 viewsDarkBrandon

Mark Ashton on 09:27 - Feb 14 by Pinewoodblue

I think this is somewhat optimistic.

He has already transformed us from a mediocre league one side, into one challenging at the top of the Championship. That’s a very solid achievement.

Assuming we don’t go up this season he could very well conclude that he’d be better off taking a job in the PL now rather than battling our financial/FPP limits against another set of parachute money clubs.

Maybe Palace aren’t the right club for him - I’d have thought he could aim his sights a little higher - but he might have to manage in the PL for a couple of seasons before big club would consider him, and for an ambitious manager a lot of the clubs who would come calling would be hard to turn down.
Mark Ashton on 10:26 - Feb 14 with 1919 viewsblueasfook

Mark Ashton on 10:17 - Feb 14 by ElephantintheRoom

Not a lot he can say is there?

It’s like the cowboys who own the franchise with Ashton & O’Leary - things are going well so why rock the boat?

Plus any utterances probably have to be approved by the real owners now - and they were too busy wondering if Taylor Swift would get to the Super Bowl on time.

I do love an Elephant take on things!

Mark Ashton on 10:26 - Feb 14 with 1921 viewstractorboy1978

Mark Ashton on 10:17 - Feb 14 by PhilTWTD

That's true, although I suspect he is well aware who's radar he is on. Clubs are constantly sounding out other managers via agents/representatives. The fact he's supposedly batted it away at this stage tells me he isn't that desperate to go there or that worried about another (or this) opportunity coming up at a later date.

He seems to be very methodical and level headed and will know his next move is very important. Going to the wrong club and not delivering would be a big bullet to his reputation at the moment. So I am sure he will be very careful.
Mark Ashton on 10:28 - Feb 14 with 1917 viewsPhilTWTD

Mark Ashton on 10:18 - Feb 14 by blueasfook

True. Fortunes can change very quickly on the managerial stock market!

Indeed, so managers have to make their moves when their opportunities come. If Town don't go up, then I suspect he'll be gone to Palace or a similar-sized Premier League club in the summer, as much as it obviously pains to say it.
Mark Ashton on 10:33 - Feb 14 with 1824 viewsblueasfook

Mark Ashton on 10:28 - Feb 14 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, so managers have to make their moves when their opportunities come. If Town don't go up, then I suspect he'll be gone to Palace or a similar-sized Premier League club in the summer, as much as it obviously pains to say it.

Yeah I think so too. Let's hope we get promotion and the KM era can continue!

Mark Ashton on 10:33 - Feb 14 with 1814 viewsPhilTWTD

Mark Ashton on 10:33 - Feb 14 by blueasfook

Yeah I think so too. Let's hope we get promotion and the KM era can continue!

Yep, that's the plan!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024