Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things I miss at the footer ... 17:04 - Feb 12 with 6517 viewsTexacoCup

Silk scarves
Arriving 2 hours early to get a good spot
Throwing toilet rolls
The smell of cigarettes and chewing gum
The alphabetical halftime scoreboard
Scarves tied around wrists
Lace up boots
Lace up footballs
Home made banners - felt-tip on a sheet
Things I miss at the footer ... on 19:28 - Feb 12 with 1844 viewsgainsboroughblue

Things I miss at the footer ... on 19:17 - Feb 12 by Illinoisblue

I had to work so was secretly quite pleased we saved the fun for Oxford. I still go back and forth on if 91-92 was more fun than 99-00. Winning at Wembley was great and the Magilton hat-trick lives in my head, but for the buzz of new away grounds and not having a care in the world, I’d say ‘92 edges it for me.

91-92 was my first season as a pub drinking adult and started doing away days by train and car etc so from a rites of passage perspective, this will hold really special memories. By 99-00 I was working shifts and missing a lot of games.

The world of Blackadder post match was memorable, especially from around March onwards. It was actually quite wild. Choosing the Hare and Hounds as my pre-match pub prior to Cambridge at home didn't work out too well though.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Things I miss at the footer ... on 19:28 - Feb 12 with 1838 viewsgainsboroughblue

Oh.. And hello Dave U.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Things I miss at the footer ... on 20:32 - Feb 12 with 1758 viewsPendejo

Things I miss at the footer ... on 19:21 - Feb 12 by hjerman

1p rental cushions being thrown on the pitch
Swede
Parrot Records
The churchman’s urinal steaming on a cold night
Chewing gum being thrown at Paul Cooper

Surely you packets of him being thrown to Cooper rather than chewed him at Cooper

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Things I miss at the footer ... on 20:38 - Feb 12 with 1743 viewsBluespeed225

Things I miss at the footer ... on 18:42 - Feb 12 by Illinoisblue

The surges back and forth in the North for the 3-2 win over Newcastle in the April sunshine of 1992 were incredible. Probably quite dangerous when you look back. Fun though

Match Of The Week captured the moment when Wark or Kywoma scored, and I jump and punch the air, but in the surge I catch my mate under the jaw. I can be seen trying to apologise, but I’m moved away by the crowd! He took it well!
Things I miss at the footer ... on 20:39 - Feb 12 with 1744 viewsBluespeed225

The smell of liniment! Night games the legs would shine. Noewadays they warm up for half and hour, boring!
Things I miss at the footer ... on 20:58 - Feb 12 with 1708 viewsMeadowlark

Golden Goal
Stopping at the Red Lion, Martlesham after a night match and Laurie Sivell being there before us, even when he'd been playing!!!
Match programmes (with free League Review magazine inside)
Trainers with buckets. (No, not footwear, the magic sponge chaps)
[Post edited 12 Feb 21:01]
Things I miss at the footer ... on 21:01 - Feb 12 with 1697 viewsChurchman

Things I miss at the footer ... on 18:49 - Feb 12 by Illinoisblue

Now you mention it, I think it was my last one too; missed the 0-0 midweek where we could have clinched pre Oxford. And then was in Pioneer upper for Brighton.

Oh the memories!

Was at the Grimsby game. Best bit of it was the Quarter Pounder with cheese at the McD off the A12 near Chelmsford. Was at the debacle at Bristol City too. Then couldn’t do the Oxford game. Was in Churchmans for Brighton. Oh well. Things I miss? Most have already been mention but:

Shirts without adverts (ahh, those classic 70s kits)
A white football
Letters around the pitch with half time scores that were usually wrong
No referees assistants, just Lino’s
Proper tackling
No yellow cards unless a body was produced
Big 70s hair
Paying on the gate and queuing early to get a good spot on the terrace
Things I miss at the footer ... on 21:03 - Feb 12 with 1695 viewsArchiRob

Things I miss at the footer ... on 17:08 - Feb 12 by Metal_Hacker

Saturday 3pm Kick offs !!!

And all teams playing on a Saturday avo so you knew exactly where you are on the table
Login to get fewer ads

Things I miss at the footer ... on 21:30 - Feb 12 with 1656 viewsMetal_Hacker

Things I miss at the footer ... on 21:03 - Feb 12 by ArchiRob

And all teams playing on a Saturday avo so you knew exactly where you are on the table

And the shirts numbered 1 to 11

Poll: If it were one or the other

Things I miss at the footer ... on 22:26 - Feb 12 with 1615 viewsAlberto_the_frog

Things I miss at the footer ... on 18:49 - Feb 12 by farkenhell

I certainly don't miss arriving 2 hours early to get a good spot. Didn't like it back then and would hate it now. Sorry.

What about leaving a big gap around the twonk who'd just pissed down the terrace?
Things I miss at the footer ... on 22:27 - Feb 12 with 1612 viewsNBVJohn

Things I miss at the footer ... on 18:29 - Feb 12 by Vic

Match of the day camera on the crane up in the sky over Churchman’s.

Oddly I miss the bogs (no other word does them justice) at the back of Churchman’s.They epitomised football grounds in the 70’s and 80’s.

Unpretentious, filthy dirty and if you weren’t extremely careful, likely to do you harm.

TWTD.
Things I miss at the footer ... on 22:37 - Feb 12 with 1602 viewsronnyd

Things I miss at the footer ... on 18:53 - Feb 12 by Lord_Lucan

Do you remember the original surges in the mid 70's?

They were scary.

Swear to god, I cannon believe no one died.

Just imagine what The Kop at Anfield must have been like.
Things I miss at the footer ... on 23:00 - Feb 12 with 1583 viewsSharkey

Players with comb-overs.
Things I miss at the footer ... on 23:14 - Feb 12 with 1576 viewscressi

Lines of coppers down the middle of the North stand their helmets been knocked of passed about.
Been up the top of the stand a goal in to find urself almost at the bottom of the stand.
And lastly the dollie girls walking round the pitch in their white tops blue shorts and knee high boots very refreshing.
Things I miss at the footer ... on 23:17 - Feb 12 with 1574 viewscressi

Things I miss at the footer ... on 23:14 - Feb 12 by cressi

Lines of coppers down the middle of the North stand their helmets been knocked of passed about.
Been up the top of the stand a goal in to find urself almost at the bottom of the stand.
And lastly the dollie girls walking round the pitch in their white tops blue shorts and knee high boots very refreshing.

The scoreboards with people in them on the back of programme the games like A to H so u could relate scoreboard to games
Things I miss at the footer ... on 06:35 - Feb 13 with 1511 viewsfranz_tyson

Things I miss at the footer ... on 18:34 - Feb 12 by gainsboroughblue

Just remembered the air horn that sounded when we scored in the early 80s. For the life of me, I can't remember what the name of the tune was or from.

Yep, that air horn was iconic. Would be good to know where that tune came from. Good to hear it on old YT videos from the glory days. Sets of images of the red and white panelled footballs and Gerry Harrison.
Things I miss at the footer ... on 07:54 - Feb 13 with 1468 viewsSawtrich

I don't really want to put a downer on some nice nostalgia but what I really miss is not knowing there's five or six clubs that are going to win everything. Not just this season but for the foreseeable future. I remember sides like us, Forest, Villa and Aberdeen winning European competitions. Now it's difficult to see us even qualifying for the thing, never mind winning it.

Oh, goalkeepers in proper tracksuit bottoms.
Things I miss at the footer ... on 08:11 - Feb 13 with 1457 viewsChurchman

Things I miss at the footer ... on 07:54 - Feb 13 by Sawtrich

I don't really want to put a downer on some nice nostalgia but what I really miss is not knowing there's five or six clubs that are going to win everything. Not just this season but for the foreseeable future. I remember sides like us, Forest, Villa and Aberdeen winning European competitions. Now it's difficult to see us even qualifying for the thing, never mind winning it.

Oh, goalkeepers in proper tracksuit bottoms.

Also not wanting to put a downer on this, I really miss football not being all about money. Smaller clubs could compete and bigger clubs like Man U and Spurs could be relegated. Man City often were. Not now. While Chelsea had success in the 60s/early 70s, they were not amongst the divine right forever cadre of clubs. Crowds of 10k, wreck of a stadium and Micky Droy.

The other thing I really miss is the FA Cup. It’s dead now in terms of what it was. The FA Cup was just as important as winning the League. It was the one thing all players and supporters wanted beyond anything else. The idea you’d play the yoofs and ressies never entered people’s heads.

It had a set way of doing things, including the draw on Monday lunchtime. Replays to the death. The only televised domestic club game, on tv all day. An event. I miss that. Gone forever.
[Post edited 13 Feb 8:18]
Things I miss at the footer ... on 08:14 - Feb 13 with 1456 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

I can't help it but it's been impossible not to read most of this thread in the style of Ron Manager.

Isn't it ? Marvellous
Things I miss at the footer ... on 09:35 - Feb 13 with 1404 viewsGreenEye

Running to the TV shop after the match to see the scores
Things I miss at the footer ... on 09:54 - Feb 13 with 1371 viewsChurchman

Things I miss at the footer ... on 09:35 - Feb 13 by GreenEye

Running to the TV shop after the match to see the scores

The Green Un.

You could pore over the results at leisure, you got a long report - a real treat if we’d won. And stuff you weren’t interested in but read anyway.
Things I miss at the footer ... on 10:07 - Feb 13 with 1358 viewsBlue_badge

This thread has given me a "flashback", a long buried memory from my teens...
if you are old enough to have been there (no looking it up on YT) can you remember:
Final game of 67/68 season, top of the league confirmed - what song was played while we ran on the pitch in our delight?
Things I miss at the footer ... on 10:07 - Feb 13 with 1355 viewsTokey

Not actually AT the game but Saxon Radio coverage on a match day - ‘Goal Action!’. Still gives me chills thinking about it now.

The phone news line where Bryan Knights updated us all with the goings on a Portman Road - but only after 10 mins of fluff so the call cost more!
Things I miss at the footer ... on 10:08 - Feb 13 with 1344 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

Things I miss at the footer ... on 10:07 - Feb 13 by Blue_badge

This thread has given me a "flashback", a long buried memory from my teens...
if you are old enough to have been there (no looking it up on YT) can you remember:
Final game of 67/68 season, top of the league confirmed - what song was played while we ran on the pitch in our delight?

Was it something by Ed Sheeran's granddad ?
Things I miss at the footer ... on 11:36 - Feb 13 with 1272 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

The sound of the corrugated iron back of the North Stand being kicked by Dr Martin boots to make a racket, you would hear it as you were queing to get in - as a teenager it was exciting.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024