Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? 21:58 - Feb 10 with 3905 viewsMullet

Two obvious errors to allow them goals, against a team we already know shut up so effectively. The pass from Fridge was inexcusable given they'd torn us apart in the middle and he had Leif off to his left.

We can cycle through the cliches and the narrow margins stuff, but it does feel a bit like individual errors are costing us. The gap we've bridged has been magnificent, but you can tell how much money and quality we are trying to negate when you come up against the WBAs and PNEs of the league and compare them.

That ending was far too tense as well. Genuinely believed a 3rd was ours for the taking as we pressed on. Giving ourselves far too much to do two games running must be at the forefront of McKenna's work this week mustn't it?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 13:02 - Feb 11 with 694 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 12:47 - Feb 11 by FrimleyBlue

Let's be honest here. We spent alot compared to the other sides. Champ level wages. Near on 8mill on transfers and loans. Yes investments on some. But let's not pretend we didn't buy our way to promotion. It doesn't matter anyway we needed promotion so it's great we did and its not something to really be bothered about really is it. But I wouldn't say hardly when talking about it..

And yet in other threads this morning you're claiming we have League 1 players.

Unbelievable Jeff!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 13:04 - Feb 11 with 693 viewsolimar

My perspective on it was that it was great to be involved in a game between two really decent play-off teams, in front of a sold out stadium, where it was really competitive and either team could have won it.
Its just great to be involved in those sort of games and to be more than holding our own- and probably just about deserving to win it.
There are definitely some areas we need to work on and perhaps we are discovering some achilles heels within the squad/system which other teams are smart enough to take advantage of- that might be that individuals who have overperformed for 6 months, might just be finding it a challenge to maintain that.
But we will find solutions, Im sure, whether thats by adjusting the team itself a bit, through coaching etc, or by personnel changes, which might need to wait until the summer.

Without wanting to single out players and make this some sort of scapegoat thing, just being realistic that Woolfenden, Burns, Chaplin, maybe even Luongo found it tough going yesterday in patches. Changes to the team in the short term might give them a welcome break.
It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 13:06 - Feb 11 with 684 viewsFrimleyBlue

It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 12:56 - Feb 11 by berkstractorboy

By that reckoning nearly every team is buying promotion as all have to invest in players with transfers and wages to get a squad good enough to get promotion or win the Prem.

I don't see where you get £8M from with transfers of Davis, Harness, Camara, Clarke, Broadhead and Hirst on loan last season doesn't come near to that?

Of course. But when you're outdoing other clubs at your level because you're offering champ wages it's a bit more than just investing.

Ah sorry I was talking about the money spent by the new owners. Not just 1 season.

As I say I'm not fussed by it. Just don't think we can't claim not to have spent a fair wack on getting promotion compared to the league we were in.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 16:18 - Feb 11 with 592 viewsberkstractorboy

It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 13:06 - Feb 11 by FrimleyBlue

Of course. But when you're outdoing other clubs at your level because you're offering champ wages it's a bit more than just investing.

Ah sorry I was talking about the money spent by the new owners. Not just 1 season.

As I say I'm not fussed by it. Just don't think we can't claim not to have spent a fair wack on getting promotion compared to the league we were in.

We spent yes, but I wouldn't say buying promotion it was planning for the future and hopefully being in the Champ. That strategy appears to be a good one when comparing the 3 promoted teams.
It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 17:36 - Feb 11 with 572 viewsBloomBlue

But both our goals was terrible defending by WBA.

First one, weak challenge by the CH against Fridge, and ball comes to a completely unmarked Broady. If we concede that goal the anti Harry brigade would be moaning above a completely unmarked player in Harry's responsible area.

Second, WBA fail to clear the ball, the defender then lets Hutchinson go onto his left foot when should force him to the right. Great shot but the GK dives over it (that should be an easy save for the GK) and then the defender on the line does an air shot and completely missed it. Again if we had conceded that, fans would be calling it another failure by the defence.

As Sir Alex once said, every goal conceded is the result of an error.
It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 12:35 - Feb 12 with 487 viewsbilllm

It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 08:31 - Feb 11 by Mullet

Promotion almost seems like a necessary evil just because of the money, but I'm far more of a fan of this league than the prospect of being fodder for sportswashers.

I think this has been the most frustrating week for a while given we should have won both games and take 1 from 6 instead.

Have to agree premiership is for the money men,
Championship and we can't knock league one is for us fans,
Apart from Leeds fans Southampton and Leicester fans say it's much more exciting in the championship,
Obviously those comments relate to us as long as you can challenge at some point,
It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 18:27 - Feb 12 with 411 viewsMullet

It's bittersweet watching us falter isn't it? on 12:35 - Feb 12 by billlm

Have to agree premiership is for the money men,
Championship and we can't knock league one is for us fans,
Apart from Leeds fans Southampton and Leicester fans say it's much more exciting in the championship,
Obviously those comments relate to us as long as you can challenge at some point,

Being surrounded by Reds and City fans of different generations, the 20 years away has just made me so wary of it.

I'd hate to have their attitude towards Town and I don't blame them.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024