Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WBA games remembered... 12:53 - Feb 7 with 3064 viewsford6600

Firstly, 7-0 (6/11/76) home match, a rainy afternoon but all Town fans were treated to spectacular goal fest. Enjoyed also watching highlights on MOTD!
Secondly, 3-1 (8/4/78) FAC SF at highbury, packed in the open end a great game and result. Felt sorry for John Wiles and West Brom haven't forgiven us for beating them since.
Thirdly, 3-4 (24/9/83) home match, cruising 3-2 with minutes to go, we were about to leave the North Stand to beat the rush and get to pub, but someone insisted on seeing the game out. They suddenly equalised and almost as quickly scored another to totally deflate the crowd, Town had switched off it seemed.
Hopefully this Saturday we wont 'switch off' and get a great result!
WBA games remembered... on 12:57 - Feb 7 with 3040 viewsMJR101

Was there for all of them. Sick as a dog after the 3-4 bit that may have been more to do with going straight to the pub afterwards!
WBA games remembered... on 13:06 - Feb 7 with 2992 viewsChurchman

I saw the 1976 7-0 - Mariner’s debut and Beattie nearly taking the goalie’s head off.
1978 semi final. Behind the goal, Clock End. Utterly unforgettable. The most extraordinary football moment ever for me was when Wark headed in the killer right in front of us. Even more than the final itself.
1980 after Christmas, might have been New Year’s Day. It was as cold as hell and we won 4-0. Steam from peoples’ breath rising from Churchmans.
1997 a 5-0 demolition on a cold day in January and their fans were brilliant.

Edit: rightly corrected - the 7-0 was Mariner’s home debut. He’d played at Man U the previous week. Regardless, what a player!
[Post edited 8 Feb 8:10]
WBA games remembered... on 13:21 - Feb 7 with 2944 views66notout

Not forgetting the 6-1 home win in October 1982 when members of The Average White Band were there to enjoy.
WBA games remembered... on 13:27 - Feb 7 with 2933 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

WBA games remembered... on 13:48 - Feb 7 with 2885 viewsChurchman

WBA games remembered... on 13:21 - Feb 7 by 66notout

Not forgetting the 6-1 home win in October 1982 when members of The Average White Band were there to enjoy.

I was there for that. Ta for the reminder!
WBA games remembered... on 13:57 - Feb 7 with 2840 viewsGeoffSentence

WBA games remembered... on 13:27 - Feb 7 by BasingstokeBlue

Albion deserved to get battered for turning up in yellow and green kit. The cheek of them.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

WBA games remembered... on 14:02 - Feb 7 with 2822 viewsford6600

WBA games remembered... on 13:27 - Feb 7 by BasingstokeBlue

Excellent! Many contenders for goal of the season in this match!
WBA games remembered... on 14:12 - Feb 7 with 2790 viewsford6600

WBA games remembered... on 12:57 - Feb 7 by MJR101

Was there for all of them. Sick as a dog after the 3-4 bit that may have been more to do with going straight to the pub afterwards!

We had several pints of Guinness in Black Horse before match. Drowned our sorrows in obscure little pub off Norwich Road, never went back to this little pub again always associated with disappointment of this 3-4 result!
Login to get fewer ads

WBA games remembered... on 14:52 - Feb 7 with 2731 viewsgainsboroughblue

I remember the 6-1. Didn't Warky get 4 or is my memory playing tricks?

There was a pretty non-descript 1-0 in either 85/86 or 86/87 (we got relegated together in 86) where Kevin Steggles lined up for WBA and they had the no smoking sign emblazoned on their chests where the sponsors go.

Last time I saw us play WBA was a very cold night in the league Cup on our way to the semis.
[Post edited 7 Feb 14:53]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

WBA games remembered... on 16:05 - Feb 7 with 2639 viewsBluespeed225

WBA games remembered... on 14:02 - Feb 7 by ford6600

Excellent! Many contenders for goal of the season in this match!

The answer is Trevor Whymark after a 1-2 with Mariner. The goal where the copper applauds is special just for that!
WBA games remembered... on 16:18 - Feb 7 with 2620 viewsfarkenhell

Very pedantic I know, but the highlights of the 7-0 were, in fact, on Match of the Week (Anglia TV).
WBA games remembered... on 16:52 - Feb 7 with 2567 viewsDuckegg

I remember going to see a home game in the 70's against WBA with my mum and brother (I must have been about 7 yrs old), think we stood in Churchmans, picked up a chant which I sung on the way home in the car before being told that chanting 'shoot that ****er' wasnt acceptable and I wouldn't be told again ...... i shut up, knew what would happen next if I didnt ..... different times
WBA games remembered... on 16:56 - Feb 7 with 2562 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

I remember one cold New Years Day in the 70's travelling on Betty Felgate's Coach to West Brom, but the game was called off mid journey due to snow, so the entire coach diverted to Cambridge and all watched their dull game. Puzzled a lot of Cambridge fans with the Ipswich chanting in the ground
WBA games remembered... on 17:58 - Feb 7 with 2510 viewsford6600

WBA games remembered... on 16:18 - Feb 7 by farkenhell

Very pedantic I know, but the highlights of the 7-0 were, in fact, on Match of the Week (Anglia TV).

Was MOTW onSunday afternoons, presented by Gerry Harrison, he was always very fair when talking about Town. Brian Moore is also a much missed football commentator. The Town 1976 side would have too much about them if they played our current side. imo
WBA games remembered... on 19:41 - Feb 7 with 2433 viewsDBaldy

I'm sure I remember seeing us beat West Brom in the late 80s and John Deehan scored a 30 yarder in the top corner, but I'm damned if I can remember what year, or if it even happened!

However, according to 11v11.com we had a 25 game unbeaten run vs West Brom (19 wins & 6 draws!) from October 1984 to April 2000. Anyone know if we've had a better record against any other opposition?
WBA games remembered... on 20:10 - Feb 7 with 2413 viewsgainsboroughblue

WBA games remembered... on 19:41 - Feb 7 by DBaldy

I'm sure I remember seeing us beat West Brom in the late 80s and John Deehan scored a 30 yarder in the top corner, but I'm damned if I can remember what year, or if it even happened!

However, according to 11v11.com we had a 25 game unbeaten run vs West Brom (19 wins & 6 draws!) from October 1984 to April 2000. Anyone know if we've had a better record against any other opposition?

We had a similarly good record against Stoke in that time frame. We always seemed to score 5 past them. I think Burley's team lost 2-3 to them eventually.

Both WBA and Stoke went on to be a something of a bogey side in the 2000's!

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

WBA games remembered... on 20:19 - Feb 7 with 2400 viewsKeno

WBA games remembered... on 13:06 - Feb 7 by Churchman

I saw the 1976 7-0 - Mariner’s debut and Beattie nearly taking the goalie’s head off.
1978 semi final. Behind the goal, Clock End. Utterly unforgettable. The most extraordinary football moment ever for me was when Wark headed in the killer right in front of us. Even more than the final itself.
1980 after Christmas, might have been New Year’s Day. It was as cold as hell and we won 4-0. Steam from peoples’ breath rising from Churchmans.

Edit: rightly corrected - the 7-0 was Mariner’s home debut. He’d played at Man U the previous week. Regardless, what a player!

just a very small point

Its was Mariners home debut, he played the week before in a 1-0 at OT

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

WBA games remembered... on 20:51 - Feb 7 with 2342 viewsford6600

WBA games remembered... on 20:19 - Feb 7 by Keno

just a very small point

Its was Mariners home debut, he played the week before in a 1-0 at OT

Yes remember Old Trafford match, went by coach, we were surrounded by MU perhaps we were in wrong section so just smiles when we scored. Not many Town fans only those in seats responded to our goal. So WBA match was his home debut. For a wet Nov the crowd at PR was 25k? Obviously coming to see PM.
WBA games remembered... on 23:58 - Feb 7 with 2226 viewsRoyal_Blue

Third round FA Cup, 1971 went on a Felgate coach. Frank (Coco) Clarke nicked a last gasp equaliser. Fish n chips at Newport Pagnell on way home. Happy daze.
WBA games remembered... on 08:04 - Feb 8 with 2095 viewstextbackup

Jim and Johno having a punch up

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

WBA games remembered... on 08:07 - Feb 8 with 2082 viewscressi

WBA games remembered... on 13:06 - Feb 7 by Churchman

They were the best two Mariners debut night game at weekend and cup semi final after semi final I jumped on tube Arsenal fan got on as the played Orient at Stamford Bridge we was was talking bout final. A few weeks later my late dad and myself came out of Wembley buzzing and got on tube who sat opposite was the same Arsenal fan who I met after the WBA game he did concede we deserved to win. Other WBA games I remember were away lost 3-1 they had Batson, Cunningham and Regis Atkinson called them the 3 Amigos.
And our 1-0 win Manny Thetis overhead kick.
WBA games remembered... on 10:11 - Feb 8 with 2011 viewsford6600

WBA games remembered... on 14:52 - Feb 7 by gainsboroughblue

I remember the 6-1. Didn't Warky get 4 or is my memory playing tricks?

There was a pretty non-descript 1-0 in either 85/86 or 86/87 (we got relegated together in 86) where Kevin Steggles lined up for WBA and they had the no smoking sign emblazoned on their chests where the sponsors go.

Last time I saw us play WBA was a very cold night in the league Cup on our way to the semis.
[Post edited 7 Feb 14:53]

Yes cold night (1/12/2010) 1-0 at PR, v WBA 5th rd of League Cup, good crowd, atmosphere, at least then we put out strong sides in cup and look were it got us, to semi-final with Arsenal. Remember on way home at station hundreds of Town fans and a lone, lost, drunk Baggie on the platform shouting out for his team for quite a time as we waited for our trains.
WBA games remembered... on 10:42 - Feb 8 with 1974 viewskeighleyblue

Hawthorns 20th March 1999

1-0 winner scored by Manuel Thetis overhead kick 15 yards out

TWTD
WBA games remembered... on 11:21 - Feb 8 with 1931 viewsford6600

How is Noddy Holder, of Slade fame, connected to West Bromwich??
WBA games remembered... on 19:15 - Feb 9 with 1678 viewsford6600

Famous West Bromwichonian...Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) was born in West Bromwich and in his early days his roadie was Noddy Holder (before his Slade days).
Noddy drove him to gigs in his dads window cleaning van....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024