Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who honestly think we will sign another striker 17:35 - Jan 31 with 10506 viewsmelonhead

In this window?
I’m not sure it will happen and might have to settle for playoffs again my fingers are 🤞.
Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 23:24 - Jan 31 with 1628 viewsCoastalblue

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 23:13 - Jan 31 by FrimleyBlue

Thing is tho. We've seen the result of losing that striker who was a big part of the success you've enjoyed for 25 games of the season. So yes that 1 player would make a massive difference.

For me the risk of sticking to your guns in our current situation is..

Say we don't get one. And we Don't get promoted.
We will lose key players. That's a given we will need to regardless because of ffp.

So you're rebuilding straight away anyway. Whilst another 3 clubs have come down with fresh parachute payments.

The risk we could find ourselves in which was always going to be a risk was not being able to keep KM. And then if the new manager can't do what KM has how long before the owners see how much of a loss a champ club is and begin to strip the club like Evans.

I just feel in 2nd place.. it's more of a calculated risk to get someone in to push for promotion when you have 18 games left when the worse case scenario is that you end up selling the player you're gonna sell anyway if you don't go up.

It should be moore tbh. Loan which means you're not left with him come summer. But also if you get promoted. He's been worth it financially anyway.

You keep saying KM is going to throw his toys out of the pram and take his ball to another club to play, how do you know that Ashton hasn't presented an ongoing series of options to KM who has turned round and said no to?

I genuinely can't see KM leaving after this season even if we don't go up, unless it's to Utd or Spurs, and neither of those are going to happen at this point in time.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 23:26 - Jan 31 with 1620 viewsjayessess

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 23:13 - Jan 31 by FrimleyBlue

Thing is tho. We've seen the result of losing that striker who was a big part of the success you've enjoyed for 25 games of the season. So yes that 1 player would make a massive difference.

We will lose key players. That's a given we will need to regardless because of ffp.

So you're rebuilding straight away anyway. Whilst another 3 clubs have come down with fresh parachute payments.

The risk we could find ourselves in which was always going to be a risk was not being able to keep KM. And then if the new manager can't do what KM has how long before the owners see how much of a loss a champ club is and begin to strip the club like Evans.

I just feel in 2nd place.. it's more of a calculated risk to get someone in to push for promotion when you have 18 games left when the worse case scenario is that you end up selling the player you're gonna sell anyway if you don't go up.

It should be moore tbh. Loan which means you're not left with him come summer. But also if you get promoted. He's been worth it financially anyway.

Just because George Hirst is a big player for us doesn't automatically mean that a striker we're signing is also going to make that massive difference (and I'd also say, we've gone 4.75 games without Hirst, 2.75 of them we've got decent results in, the other two, well, we had problems beyond Hirst's absence in my view).

Of course, I think we'd be much better off if we could sign a senior striker but without knowing the figures here, it's impossible to know whether we're been over-cautious or not. The word is that Bournemouth are unwilling to send Moore on loan and want to sell him. We've no idea what transfer fee and what wages that would entail, we're just assuming it's doable and therefore should do it. There are always limits to how much you want to gamble and how much premium you should be prepared for your dice roll chance at promotion.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 23:36 - Jan 31 with 1554 viewsVegtablue

If a potential senior striker enhances our promotion prospects by 5%, but wants to be paid as though that figure is 200%, it would be mad to make the deal. Overspending in January and hoping to rectify it in June is equally irresponsible. What if the bids don't come in or the earmarked sale gets injured? We could find ourselves selling a key player for a fraction of what they should be worth, in addition to spending substantially more than we should have done on the January signing. That could result in three or four important summer additions no longer being affordable. We can't sacrifice next season for the sake of marginally increasing our chances this year, when Southampton and play-off contenders remain as strong as they are. I'd be interested to see the promotion probabilities people are applying to our squad with + without Moore / Gallagher.

I'll still be gutted if we don't land one tomorrow!
Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 23:51 - Jan 31 with 1512 viewswhymark4lazio0

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 23:36 - Jan 31 by Vegtablue

If a potential senior striker enhances our promotion prospects by 5%, but wants to be paid as though that figure is 200%, it would be mad to make the deal. Overspending in January and hoping to rectify it in June is equally irresponsible. What if the bids don't come in or the earmarked sale gets injured? We could find ourselves selling a key player for a fraction of what they should be worth, in addition to spending substantially more than we should have done on the January signing. That could result in three or four important summer additions no longer being affordable. We can't sacrifice next season for the sake of marginally increasing our chances this year, when Southampton and play-off contenders remain as strong as they are. I'd be interested to see the promotion probabilities people are applying to our squad with + without Moore / Gallagher.

I'll still be gutted if we don't land one tomorrow!

Good post. Totally agree you shouldn't abandon your process and principles for the sake of marginally increasing the chances of getting a promotion ahead of what might have been expected. As it stands, we are probably 50/50 to get promoted this season. If it happens, great. If not and we lose out in the play-offs it will still have been one of our best seasons over the last 20 years AND we'll be an even stronger team next season. An extra season in the Championship might even be in the best long-term interests of the club (as long as we retain Mckenna).

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 23:59 - Jan 31 with 1461 viewspointofblue

I've said this elsewhere but my concern is the current recruitment team have had issues with strikers for a while.

In fairness, there was logic to Bonne and Pigott, though the latter never really found his feet. However, despite Pigott's issues we didn't bring in another striker in winter 2022. The following summer we spent ages chasing Hirst, failed, panicked and brought in Ahadme on deadline day. Last summer was another struggle where, again, it went to deadline day and we picked up Scarlett to fill a bench and make little impact when given a chance - Birmingham aside. We're fortunate Hirst didn't pick up an injury sooner, and short term damage was limited. Now we've signed a promising youngster who needs to be eased into first team action and... it's (almost) deadline transfer day again.

I would be interested to know if McKenna has a change of heart over Ladapo leaving if we fail to get anyone in. One of the reasons was to free up funds, but if no one else comes in it'll be a case of for who? Frankly, if all we do is bring back Scarlett I think I'd prefer to have kept hold of Ladapo.

23 hours to go. Promotion isn't guaranteed or off the table whatever happens but we'll be sending McKenna into the final part of the season with at least one hand tied behind his back if we don't sign anyone else. Not just up front, but we have very little depth at full back too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 03:47 - Feb 1 with 1333 viewsZapers

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 19:18 - Jan 31 by FrimleyBlue

Probably because the last few windows haven't ended on a positive when it comes to strikers.

Gosh you don't half talk a lot of shyte sometimes.
Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 06:16 - Feb 1 with 1265 viewsChurchman

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 21:53 - Jan 31 by StokieBlue

This is the crux of the issue, lots of posters writing things without actually using context.

The context is that there really aren't many strikers of the type we want who are either available or in our price range. Continually moaning about the club, the backroom staff and Ashton whilst totally ignoring context is basically treating the world of football like FM2024.

Yet here we are, every day more posts ignoring context and having a pop because the club haven't magicked up To Madiera.

SB

I think one or two people think it’s just like FM2024 SB and post accordingly. There is an assumption that Transfer Window = lots of signings. You know, all the excitement of sky presenters in silly yellow ties working up a sweat of excitement as the hour ticks down. You get to Jan 1st, you have your shopping list, a bit like going to Tescos, and you go and get the players you want off the shelf. Easy.

It ignores the fact that the players you want may not want to come to you, the money it costs (FFP), the competition for good players and whether the striker you want is available. Then there’s your wage structure. We are not the biggest payers in the Championship. Let’s say for example we go for Vardy as an interim. £120k a week or Moore (I’ll guess £30k a week). How are you going to manage the rest of your players let alone the wage bill when they hear Billy big b0llocks is rolling in?

What I’m trying to say is I can’t imagine how complex player deals are, but it’s certainly not the same as nipping down the showroom for your Renault Clio. If it is that simple, I’m happy to be corrected

We are competing in a very different place now to league one. I read somebody saying basically how easy it was for Cook to bring in players. Yes, in league one, less restrictions, no team, lots of money and a long summer window. Of course it was easy - and some of those he did bring in weren't great.

I will be surprised if we bring in anybody now. I’ll be even more surprised if they amount to anything. Disappointing? Yes, because in losing Ladapo and brining in a young lad, we are still desperately light up front. But I’d prefer that to a panic last turkey in the shop.

So what have the recruitment team been doing for their money will be the cry. I’d actually be interested in what their role actually is, how it works, what they’re up against and how their performance is measured.

Lastly, before the boot goes in on Ashton, I’d be interested to hear from him what his expectations were and how he thinks the result measured up. Regardless, the club is a lot stronger than a year ago and in the big picture, that’s all that really matters in my view.
[Post edited 1 Feb 8:17]
Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 07:58 - Feb 1 with 1168 viewstextbackup

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 19:17 - Jan 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

If we can't get someone worth getting we should give Buabo a chance. Better to develop him than waste our time with a loan who isn't good enough.

What’s he done so far to suggest he’s ready to feature more?

So naive to suggest things like this IMO, it’s so clearly obvious we need some experience up top.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:04 - Feb 1 with 1136 viewsFrimleyBlue

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 03:47 - Feb 1 by Zapers

Gosh you don't half talk a lot of shyte sometimes.

Go on then. Share how that specific post was wrong.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:08 - Feb 1 with 1121 viewsHerbivore

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 23:59 - Jan 31 by pointofblue

I've said this elsewhere but my concern is the current recruitment team have had issues with strikers for a while.

In fairness, there was logic to Bonne and Pigott, though the latter never really found his feet. However, despite Pigott's issues we didn't bring in another striker in winter 2022. The following summer we spent ages chasing Hirst, failed, panicked and brought in Ahadme on deadline day. Last summer was another struggle where, again, it went to deadline day and we picked up Scarlett to fill a bench and make little impact when given a chance - Birmingham aside. We're fortunate Hirst didn't pick up an injury sooner, and short term damage was limited. Now we've signed a promising youngster who needs to be eased into first team action and... it's (almost) deadline transfer day again.

I would be interested to know if McKenna has a change of heart over Ladapo leaving if we fail to get anyone in. One of the reasons was to free up funds, but if no one else comes in it'll be a case of for who? Frankly, if all we do is bring back Scarlett I think I'd prefer to have kept hold of Ladapo.

23 hours to go. Promotion isn't guaranteed or off the table whatever happens but we'll be sending McKenna into the final part of the season with at least one hand tied behind his back if we don't sign anyone else. Not just up front, but we have very little depth at full back too.

It's almost like good strikers in our budget aren't easy to find.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:14 - Feb 1 with 1091 viewspointofblue

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:08 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

For the most part even at League One level, albeit slightly easier (Ladapo, Hirst eventually, at a stretch Bonne). Though is our scouting network wide enough now we've been promoted? Do we spend too long focusing on a small number of targets meaning we're left scrabbling if they do not come off?
[Post edited 1 Feb 8:20]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:18 - Feb 1 with 1061 viewsFrimleyBlue

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:08 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

What is our budget Herbz

The last time ashton spoke of it for this window he openly said we had money to spend.

Waka waka eh eh

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:18 - Feb 1 with 1059 viewssmithy69

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 23:59 - Jan 31 by pointofblue

I like Ladapo - but he is just not a championship player. He just isn’t
Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:20 - Feb 1 with 1033 viewsChurchman

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 19:35 - Jan 31 by FrimleyBlue

We aren't talking about general signings. This is about that striker signing and going into deadline day. Think my wording may have confused things. I wasn't saying the windows themselves weren't positive. I meant the ending of the windows haven't ended positive. I.e getting 'that' player.

But that's my memory. We may have had a deadline signing who ended up being a massive positive but I can't think of one over the last few windows.
[Post edited 31 Jan 19:38]

Striker wise, who do you think we should have signed and why do you think it didn’t happen?
Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:28 - Feb 1 with 986 viewsHerbivore

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:18 - Feb 1 by FrimleyBlue

What is our budget Herbz

The last time ashton spoke of it for this window he openly said we had money to spend.

I don't know the exact figure, but if we had several million to spare we'd likely have landed another of our striker targets in the summer. We seem to be in for players at below the £2m so clearly FFP means we're limited in what we can spend.

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:33 - Feb 1 with 949 viewsbluejacko

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:20 - Feb 1 by Churchman

Striker wise, who do you think we should have signed and why do you think it didn’t happen?

That’s it isn’t it! Ask that question and the silence is deafening.come on Frimmers etc name some names.
Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:36 - Feb 1 with 940 viewsHerbivore

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:14 - Feb 1 by pointofblue

For the most part even at League One level, albeit slightly easier (Ladapo, Hirst eventually, at a stretch Bonne). Though is our scouting network wide enough now we've been promoted? Do we spend too long focusing on a small number of targets meaning we're left scrabbling if they do not come off?
[Post edited 1 Feb 8:20]

Isn't it just the case that the number of targets is small because the criteria for what we need and the budget we have necessarily means there aren't many players who fit the bill? We can't magic players into existence, sadly.

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 20:21 - Feb 1 with 810 viewsChurchman

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:33 - Feb 1 by bluejacko

That’s it isn’t it! Ask that question and the silence is deafening.come on Frimmers etc name some names.

And the silence remained….. funny that.
Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 20:41 - Feb 1 with 774 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 07:58 - Feb 1 by textbackup

What’s he done so far to suggest he’s ready to feature more?

So naive to suggest things like this IMO, it’s so clearly obvious we need some experience up top.

You missed the point entirely. If we can't get the right player at the right price, we might as well develop what we have got rather than waste a load of money on the wrong player.

As it happens, we have got what we were looking for so all good.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 22:09 - Feb 1 with 735 viewsFrimleyBlue

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:33 - Feb 1 by bluejacko

Sorry I'd moved on.

My response would have been the same as I've always replied to that question. I'm just a forum user not a paid staff member so it's not my job to name names. Just moan about things: :)

I would have said moore though if I was paid. Obvious link really. Hopefully we go for it.

Waka waka eh eh

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 22:13 - Feb 1 with 726 viewsSwansea_Blue

Who honestly think we will sign another striker on 08:18 - Feb 1 by FrimleyBlue

What is our budget Herbz

£14.99 + VAT

TWTD

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024