Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stunned! 15:41 - Jan 27 with 1846 viewsswede

Like all on here, I'm completely stunned and gutted at probably the worst result in our history that will be replayed over and over for many years to compound the embarrassment.

There must be lessons learned and the biggest has to be that it is imperative that we buy a proven goal scorer this week or the wonderful season so far is finished. Mark Ashton must go the maximum possible and get the player(s) needed for the final push. The stats today, speak for themselves and the only one that matters is goals scored. We failed miserably on that front and it is clear that Broadhead is not the answer as a straight replacement for the injured Hurst.

KMcK has completely revolutionised this club from twenty years of misery, but I hope he has learned a tough lesson too. I don't think he disrespected Maidstone, but he thoroughly underestimated them and made too many changes. Sone Aluko is a great guy and will no doubt become a successful coach, but this must be his last appearance in an ITFC shirt. He failed miserably in the role today.

It was a big mistake too to change the defence and keeper. It totally disrupted the way we normally play from the back.

Embarrassing, yes, but if lessons are learned quickly, it could still be an amazing season.

Stunned! on 15:43 - Jan 27 with 1808 viewspointofblue

I'd say we actually looked better in the first half, with a team full of changes, then when Clarke, Davis, Burns and Chaplin came on. We certainly carried more of a threat.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Stunned! on 15:51 - Jan 27 with 1738 viewsChrisd

There’s no doubt this result will never be forgotten, this will be played for seasons to come an FA Cup upset of massive proportions. We can sugarcoat it as much as we like, but that really was an embarrassing result for the club.
[Post edited 27 Jan 15:56]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Stunned! on 15:53 - Jan 27 with 1712 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Stunned! on 15:51 - Jan 27 by Chrisd

There’s no doubt this result will never be forgotten, this will be played for seasons to come an FA Cup upset of massive proportions. We can sugarcoat it as much as we like, but that really was an embarrassing result for the club.
[Post edited 27 Jan 15:56]

Anyone sugarcoating it is deluded.
Stunned! on 15:55 - Jan 27 with 1691 viewsexeterblue10

Stunned! on 15:53 - Jan 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It was an embarrassing result but not, in my view, an embarrassing performance. We could have been better in the final third but I didn’t think we were awful. 38 shots on goal to 2 tells a story.
Stunned! on 15:56 - Jan 27 with 1657 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

To be fair we’ve beat Premiership sides in the league cup with 11 changes. The team should have easily been good enough to advance comfortably.
Stunned! on 15:58 - Jan 27 with 1615 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Stunned! on 15:55 - Jan 27 by exeterblue10

It was an embarrassing result but not, in my view, an embarrassing performance. We could have been better in the final third but I didn’t think we were awful. 38 shots on goal to 2 tells a story.

Fair enough, my brother at the game said similar but it cant be a good one if you score 1 out of 38 attempts against a team 6 tiers below. It’s a shocker.
Stunned! on 16:00 - Jan 27 with 1566 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Stunned! on 15:53 - Jan 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

What is the unsugarcoated reality?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Stunned! on 16:21 - Jan 27 with 1472 viewsexeterblue10

Stunned! on 15:58 - Jan 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Fair enough, my brother at the game said similar but it cant be a good one if you score 1 out of 38 attempts against a team 6 tiers below. It’s a shocker.

We could have played the same, come away winning by a mile if our finishing had been better and we’d all be happy and looking forward to the draw for the next round. That said, some individual performances weren’t up to scratch and our finishing just wasn’t good enough.
Login to get fewer ads

Stunned! on 16:28 - Jan 27 with 1426 viewsLeaky

It's the magic of the cup.we were never going to win it we move on to PNe next week they may well suffer the back lash of the result today
Stunned! on 16:37 - Jan 27 with 1390 viewsswede

Stunned! on 16:28 - Jan 27 by Leaky

It's the magic of the cup.we were never going to win it we move on to PNe next week they may well suffer the back lash of the result today

I very much hope you are right!
Stunned! on 16:46 - Jan 27 with 1358 viewsHighgateBlue

Stunned! on 16:00 - Jan 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

What is the unsugarcoated reality?

Imagine what you would have said about that performance if it were under Marcus Evans. That.

KMac is self-evidently a hero, but one has to be objective about results, performances, and decisions. We lost to a non-league team at home, with a big crowd, in a competition that used to matter and in my book still does.

Maidstone are two points above something called "Aveley". If there's been a more shameful result in the professional history of Ipswich Town, I'd be interested to know about it. The 9-0 was away at Old Trafford, and doesn't come close to being as embarrassing in my view.
Stunned! on 17:14 - Jan 27 with 1276 viewsbadadski

Stunned! on 16:21 - Jan 27 by exeterblue10

We could have played the same, come away winning by a mile if our finishing had been better and we’d all be happy and looking forward to the draw for the next round. That said, some individual performances weren’t up to scratch and our finishing just wasn’t good enough.

It’s the expectation that is the soul destroying feature of that game, so many missed opportunities, so many wrong calls in the final third, so many wrong plays and lucky bounces etc -

I have gone to into most games this season with no expectation or little expedition and been pleasantly surprised by the result and how we play.

It is a fluke result against us but it hurts most because it’s the one game we should have put away.
Stunned! on 17:55 - Jan 27 with 1180 viewsWickets

Stunned! on 15:55 - Jan 27 by exeterblue10

That kinda makes it worse for me ! I'm struggling to get my old head round it TBH .
Stunned! on 19:44 - Jan 27 with 1033 viewsSharkey

I suppose it's not inconceivable that that will turn out to be Walton's last appearance for the club.
Stunned! on 20:41 - Jan 27 with 857 viewsMarkp68

Stunned! on 17:55 - Jan 27 by Wickets

That kinda makes it worse for me ! I'm struggling to get my old head round it TBH .

Yep, I’m the same, still a sense of shock. But taking 1 of 38 chances is the reason we’re out. Yes it wasn’t a great performance but we created enough to have won it twice over and on another day we would. What this game has shown is there are a couple who started in Ball, Aluko and probably Tuanzebe (although jury’s out on him I think) who just aren’t up to it at the level we need but more importantly Broady isnt the answer up top and it’s highlighted just how desperately we need a genuine striker, probably 2, but I’ll settle for 1. But as down as we all feel and I’ve been around long enough that the cup matters, let’s keep a bit of perspective; it’s the first real bump we’ve hit virtually since KM took over and we have had a season (so far) beyond many of our wildest dreams and with 18 games left have a real shout at automatic promotion and if we go up via either route none of us will give a s@@t about today.
Still hurts though
Stunned! on 20:43 - Jan 27 with 838 viewspointofblue

Stunned! on 20:41 - Jan 27 by Markp68

Yep, I’m the same, still a sense of shock. But taking 1 of 38 chances is the reason we’re out. Yes it wasn’t a great performance but we created enough to have won it twice over and on another day we would. What this game has shown is there are a couple who started in Ball, Aluko and probably Tuanzebe (although jury’s out on him I think) who just aren’t up to it at the level we need but more importantly Broady isnt the answer up top and it’s highlighted just how desperately we need a genuine striker, probably 2, but I’ll settle for 1. But as down as we all feel and I’ve been around long enough that the cup matters, let’s keep a bit of perspective; it’s the first real bump we’ve hit virtually since KM took over and we have had a season (so far) beyond many of our wildest dreams and with 18 games left have a real shout at automatic promotion and if we go up via either route none of us will give a s@@t about today.
Still hurts though

It's funny because, before Leeds away, I thought we'd be alright if Woolfenden had to miss some games due to injury. Now I'm not so sure. Suppose Burgess will be back in mid February, which will help.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024